Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Here’s a sad one for the social media age... 04:01 - Nov 18 with 1585 viewsmonytowbray

https://twitter.com/i/events/1063699675167916032

Five black dudes get refused service in Chipotle unless they pay up front. They film it and it goes viral. Imply they are being racially profiled and Twitter goes into meltdown. Chipotle respond 2 people have lost their job over it.

Then it’s revealed the group in question were known local “dine and dashers” and the person who posted the video had even gloated about doing it regularly at Chipotle (and has since deleted the tweets).

So the store in question acted well within their rights to refuse service and lost their jobs because some POS used the race card.

I really hate it when sh1t like this happens. Racial profiling is a real issue and has caused so much damage, discrimination, false arrests, assaults and deaths throughout history and continues to do so, and this prick is using it to cost underpaid workers their jobs because they couldn’t blag a free burrito? It’s also fantastic ammo for anyone who wants to dismiss/deny racial profiling. How depressing.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Here’s a sad one for the social media age... on 09:52 - Nov 18 with 1380 viewscaught-in-limbo

I'm less pessimistic.

If the tweeted video went viral then so will the backlash with the truth coming out.

There'll be sympathy for the sacked staff who might even get a better job following their actions.

The five dudes will be less likely to dine and dash again as a result of their identities being known.

And finally, this is yet another example where forms of mass media are exposed for peddling false or one-sided news. Traditional news sources will jump on these instances as evidence of the dangers of social media, but soon even the masses will realise that all forms of mass media are used to spread nonsense, fear, division and chaos in society and people will soon learn to apply their own interpretation of the news without the fear of thought crimes hanging over them.
[Post edited 18 Nov 2018 10:28]

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Here’s a sad one for the social media age... on 11:15 - Nov 18 with 1299 viewsGuthrum

Here’s a sad one for the social media age... on 09:52 - Nov 18 by caught-in-limbo

I'm less pessimistic.

If the tweeted video went viral then so will the backlash with the truth coming out.

There'll be sympathy for the sacked staff who might even get a better job following their actions.

The five dudes will be less likely to dine and dash again as a result of their identities being known.

And finally, this is yet another example where forms of mass media are exposed for peddling false or one-sided news. Traditional news sources will jump on these instances as evidence of the dangers of social media, but soon even the masses will realise that all forms of mass media are used to spread nonsense, fear, division and chaos in society and people will soon learn to apply their own interpretation of the news without the fear of thought crimes hanging over them.
[Post edited 18 Nov 2018 10:28]

That's one of the biggest problems. People have not been taught to evaluate the quality and veracity of their sources, at a time when they are swamped by more information (raw and processed) than at any time in history. Drowning in data, never learnt to swim, if you like. A serious failing of education policy over many decades.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Here’s a sad one for the social media age... on 11:21 - Nov 18 with 1292 viewsLord_Lucan

Here’s a sad one for the social media age... on 11:15 - Nov 18 by Guthrum

That's one of the biggest problems. People have not been taught to evaluate the quality and veracity of their sources, at a time when they are swamped by more information (raw and processed) than at any time in history. Drowning in data, never learnt to swim, if you like. A serious failing of education policy over many decades.

I think it's more to do with people liking to have a stick to beat something with and don't really care if the information is correct or not.

Political posts on TWTD are actually a cracking example of this.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Here’s a sad one for the social media age... on 11:36 - Nov 18 with 1269 viewsGuthrum

Here’s a sad one for the social media age... on 11:21 - Nov 18 by Lord_Lucan

I think it's more to do with people liking to have a stick to beat something with and don't really care if the information is correct or not.

Political posts on TWTD are actually a cracking example of this.

Maybe in the initiation of some of these ideas. But they gain traction and followers (including voters) among those who are unable to separate truth from falsehood (especially when the latter is well presented, packaged with "corroborating" information).

NB: I'm not saying that people are stupid, or even ill-informed. Just that they have not been equipped with the necessary tools to process the overwhelming mass of data out there.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Here’s a sad one for the social media age... on 12:21 - Nov 18 with 1232 viewscaught-in-limbo

Here’s a sad one for the social media age... on 11:15 - Nov 18 by Guthrum

When it comes to news provision, people often conflate longevity and professionalism with veracity.

Our must trusted news agencies invest a lot of time rubbishing social media and most things internet, while all the time using those platforms to get their message to a wider audience.

These established news agencies are full of "how to ascertain a reliable news source", but fail to acknowledge the importance of critical thought over majority opinion holding.

#toxic

Here’s a sad one for the social media age... on 12:26 - Nov 18 with 1226 viewsJ2BLUE

Please god never use the term social media age ever again.

Social media is society's cancer (downvote me Ryorry )

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Here’s a sad one for the social media age... on 14:30 - Nov 18 with 1113 viewscaught-in-limbo

Here’s a sad one for the social media age... on 12:26 - Nov 18 by J2BLUE

Please god never use the term social media age ever again.

Social media is society's cancer (downvote me Ryorry )

There's certainly something imperfect with our relationship with social media, but I'm not sure what it is exactly. Calling it a cancer suggests you're a little clearer on what the problem is, if not the cure.

I'm fascinated by all forms of media, our relationship with them and the relationship between different media platforms themselves.

Can you explain why you call social media the cancer of society? (I'm not saying I'll disagree or agree, I'm still trying to get my head round it).

#toxic

Here’s a sad one for the social media age... on 14:54 - Nov 18 with 1083 viewsJ2BLUE

Here’s a sad one for the social media age... on 14:30 - Nov 18 by caught-in-limbo

There's certainly something imperfect with our relationship with social media, but I'm not sure what it is exactly. Calling it a cancer suggests you're a little clearer on what the problem is, if not the cure.

I'm fascinated by all forms of media, our relationship with them and the relationship between different media platforms themselves.

Can you explain why you call social media the cancer of society? (I'm not saying I'll disagree or agree, I'm still trying to get my head round it).

I can't be bothered right now as i'm watching football, then off out before a night of NFL but I will PM you at some point tomorrow.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

Here’s a sad one for the social media age... on 15:09 - Nov 18 with 1044 viewscaught-in-limbo

Here’s a sad one for the social media age... on 14:54 - Nov 18 by J2BLUE

I can't be bothered right now as i'm watching football, then off out before a night of NFL but I will PM you at some point tomorrow.

Much appreciated. Thanks.

#toxic

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024