Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
First the EU, now the UN 10:17 - Nov 18 with 8335 viewsMullet

Tell me why we should let these people carry on again?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/un-report-uk-poverty-austerity-g

Have we ever had a more selfish, vicious and uncaring government than this? Even the Victorians must have had better solutions than this lot.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

First the EU, now the UN on 12:09 - Nov 18 with 2057 viewscaught-in-limbo

First the EU, now the UN on 11:29 - Nov 18 by Herbivore

Bored today?

Not yet despite your best efforts.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

First the EU, now the UN on 12:16 - Nov 18 with 2056 viewsHerbivore

First the EU, now the UN on 12:00 - Nov 18 by caught-in-limbo

www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-politics-39439554

Hmm. That's not really what your post suggested, that is the UK continuing with using legislation and regulation it already follows immediately after Brexit rather than having to draft lots of new legislation and regulations straight away. It gives the government time to then decide what to keep, what to amend, and what to ditch. It's a sound approach, surely?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

First the EU, now the UN on 12:22 - Nov 18 with 2035 viewscaught-in-limbo

First the EU, now the UN on 11:39 - Nov 18 by Herbivore

I'm not an fan of our current democracy to be honest, I'd rather we have greater plurality and PR. Our current system is outdated and leads to monolithic political parties that put party ahead of country even when their views only partially align with the party.

Good. Well said. So what are you going to do to change things?

#toxic

First the EU, now the UN on 12:25 - Nov 18 with 2038 viewsHerbivore

First the EU, now the UN on 12:22 - Nov 18 by caught-in-limbo

Good. Well said. So what are you going to do to change things?

Well I'd write to my MP but I'm pretty sure she's in on it to be honest.

First the EU, now the UN on 12:30 - Nov 18 with 2025 viewscaught-in-limbo

First the EU, now the UN on 12:04 - Nov 18 by m14_blue

What’s that got to do with the price of eggs? Unless you’re seriously suggesting that austerity in the uk has been led by the EU??

I understand your view of the EU, and sympathise with it to a degree, but it’s not relevant to the OP if you accept the following.

1) Brexit is likely to harm the UK economy, at least in the short term (even the most rabid brexiteers accept there will be a period of ‘turbulence’ or ‘adjustment’.

2) the most vulnerable in society suffer disproportionately when the economy suffers whilst the rich and powerful ride the storm.

3) a conservative UK government is unlikely to prioritise the vulnerable over the wealthy.

Ergo, things are likely to get worse after brexit, regardless of how awful you think the EU is.
[Post edited 18 Nov 2018 12:06]

You make it sound like the UK government is a tyranny in the making outside of EU constraint.

What happened to democracy in the UK?

Ive been lambasted on this site for saying as much and now everybody else seems to have come round to my way of thinking now.

#toxic

First the EU, now the UN on 12:38 - Nov 18 with 2026 viewsm14_blue

First the EU, now the UN on 12:30 - Nov 18 by caught-in-limbo

You make it sound like the UK government is a tyranny in the making outside of EU constraint.

What happened to democracy in the UK?

Ive been lambasted on this site for saying as much and now everybody else seems to have come round to my way of thinking now.

I really don’t. Did you even read what I wrote? There is nothing positive about the EU in my post.

Although far be it from me to defend the state of democracy in the UK.
First the EU, now the UN on 12:39 - Nov 18 with 2025 viewsHennikerBlu

First the EU, now the UN on 11:39 - Nov 18 by Herbivore

I'm not an fan of our current democracy to be honest, I'd rather we have greater plurality and PR. Our current system is outdated and leads to monolithic political parties that put party ahead of country even when their views only partially align with the party.

I used to be a broader supporter of PR, now I am not so sure. I think you would see more extreme views being voiced in parliament. Which may encourage a 'further' rise in populism. For example, a Farage type would have an even greater platform. Parties at least keep extreme positions more in check.
[Post edited 18 Nov 2018 12:40]
First the EU, now the UN on 12:48 - Nov 18 with 2009 viewsHerbivore

First the EU, now the UN on 12:39 - Nov 18 by HennikerBlu

I used to be a broader supporter of PR, now I am not so sure. I think you would see more extreme views being voiced in parliament. Which may encourage a 'further' rise in populism. For example, a Farage type would have an even greater platform. Parties at least keep extreme positions more in check.
[Post edited 18 Nov 2018 12:40]

So how have we ended up with Brexit then?

Login to get fewer ads

First the EU, now the UN on 12:59 - Nov 18 with 1994 viewsjimmyvet

First the EU, now the UN on 12:48 - Nov 18 by Herbivore

Because there was a vote and 52% ted to leave isn't that democracy?
First the EU, now the UN on 13:05 - Nov 18 with 1987 viewsHerbivore

First the EU, now the UN on 12:59 - Nov 18 by jimmyvet

Because there was a vote and 52% ted to leave isn't that democracy?

Depends on how you're defining democracy, friend.

First the EU, now the UN on 13:07 - Nov 18 with 1986 viewsjimmyvet

First the EU, now the UN on 13:05 - Nov 18 by Herbivore

Depends on how you're defining democracy, friend.

Well the tory manifesto I believe said they would offer a vote they won the election and a referendum took place I believe that's democracy working...the only issue you have with democracy is you(like me) didn't like the outcome.....
First the EU, now the UN on 13:14 - Nov 18 with 1982 viewsHerbivore

First the EU, now the UN on 13:07 - Nov 18 by jimmyvet

Well the tory manifesto I believe said they would offer a vote they won the election and a referendum took place I believe that's democracy working...the only issue you have with democracy is you(like me) didn't like the outcome.....

So what definition of democracy are you working on here, friend?

First the EU, now the UN on 13:36 - Nov 18 with 1962 viewsHennikerBlu

First the EU, now the UN on 12:48 - Nov 18 by Herbivore

Your question assumes that a Brexit vote would not have occurred with PR and neither you or I know that. If our MEP's are anything to go by, we may have seen even more Eurosceptic views in a PR parliament (a UKIP/Con alliance?). I take your point that it was a party that called for the referendum, but it would be wrong to suggest that there was not support for it and a press that regularly attacked the EU.
First the EU, now the UN on 14:04 - Nov 18 with 1941 viewsHerbivore

First the EU, now the UN on 13:36 - Nov 18 by HennikerBlu

Your question assumes that a Brexit vote would not have occurred with PR and neither you or I know that. If our MEP's are anything to go by, we may have seen even more Eurosceptic views in a PR parliament (a UKIP/Con alliance?). I take your point that it was a party that called for the referendum, but it would be wrong to suggest that there was not support for it and a press that regularly attacked the EU.

It was a tongue in cheek response to your comment about parties keeping the extremists in line.

First the EU, now the UN on 14:06 - Nov 18 with 1936 viewsGlasgowBlue

Under PR, UKip would have won over 80 seats at the 2015 General Election and been a big player in coalition with the Tories.

So we would definitely had a referendum and Farage may well have been Brexit Secretary.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

First the EU, now the UN on 14:24 - Nov 18 with 1920 viewsClapham_Junction

First the EU, now the UN on 14:06 - Nov 18 by GlasgowBlue

Under PR, UKip would have won over 80 seats at the 2015 General Election and been a big player in coalition with the Tories.

So we would definitely had a referendum and Farage may well have been Brexit Secretary.

Alternatively, UKIP would have had parliamentary representation much earlier than 2015 and have been found out for being the bunch of incompetent shysters that they are many years ago.
First the EU, now the UN on 15:18 - Nov 18 with 1894 viewsMullet

First the EU, now the UN on 11:32 - Nov 18 by caught-in-limbo

Perhaps you need to live in Greece or Portugal or Italy or Spain to realise that the EU isn't just a benevolent body which just imposes regulations protecting workers rights.

I guess if I said that, then maybe. Pretty rich from someone who doesn't live in Britain or know what we're talking about.

Your suppositions and ability to assume superiority in an argument only you are having is cute. I guess RT aren't a fan of the EU eh? Uncle Vlad has no vested interest in it being as diminished as possible eh?

First the EU, now the UN on 16:24 - Nov 18 with 1863 viewscaught-in-limbo

First the EU, now the UN on 15:18 - Nov 18 by Mullet

I guess if I said that, then maybe. Pretty rich from someone who doesn't live in Britain or know what we're talking about.

Your suppositions and ability to assume superiority in an argument only you are having is cute. I guess RT aren't a fan of the EU eh? Uncle Vlad has no vested interest in it being as diminished as possible eh?

I assume no superiority at all, I'm just presenting a different view which is clearly rubbing you up the wrong way and exposing your own inferiority complex.

Your lack of cool is evident in your childish and laughably incorrect comments.

Great result for England, don't let me take you away from your cheap celebratory Spanish lager.

#toxic

First the EU, now the UN on 16:33 - Nov 18 with 1857 viewscaught-in-limbo

First the EU, now the UN on 15:18 - Nov 18 by Mullet

From what I imagine to be true about Russian geopolitical desires is that Russia would absolutely love to have a united and peaceful neighbour. Why would they want their biggest gas market to be fractured and unfriendly?

Looks like you haven't given it a great deal of thought.

#toxic

First the EU, now the UN on 16:36 - Nov 18 with 1851 viewsNo9

The question about democracy and the rferendum is open ended, the questoins to be answered as to whether or not it was a legal vote have yet to be addressed.
It is interesting that when asked about blocking investigations into what 'leave' groups were doing Mrs may said nothing.
If she valued 'democracy' she would ensure that a Mueller type investigation was instigated in the UK (it should have been done as son as concerns were flagged up) & the brexit process put on hold.
However since the 70's democracy, in the UK has been a sham
First the EU, now the UN on 16:44 - Nov 18 with 1851 viewsVic

Do we know what they think of the way France, or Spain, or Italy or the US, all of whom have huge underclass problems? I’m not justifying the way th8ngs are here in the UK but I suspect it’s not just this government that gets this critical treatment.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

First the EU, now the UN on 16:47 - Nov 18 with 1837 viewsNo9

First the EU, now the UN on 16:44 - Nov 18 by Vic

Do we know what they think of the way France, or Spain, or Italy or the US, all of whom have huge underclass problems? I’m not justifying the way th8ngs are here in the UK but I suspect it’s not just this government that gets this critical treatment.

The UN have already conducted a similar investigation into povery in the USA.
Trumps response was much the same as the UK government.

Charities in the UK are more in line with the UN report than the government, it's there to read
First the EU, now the UN on 16:48 - Nov 18 with 1837 viewsMullet

First the EU, now the UN on 16:24 - Nov 18 by caught-in-limbo

I assume no superiority at all, I'm just presenting a different view which is clearly rubbing you up the wrong way and exposing your own inferiority complex.

Your lack of cool is evident in your childish and laughably incorrect comments.

Great result for England, don't let me take you away from your cheap celebratory Spanish lager.

Says the person who had to reply twice with some of the worst attempt at put downs this site has ever seen.

First the EU, now the UN on 16:51 - Nov 18 with 1833 viewsMullet

First the EU, now the UN on 16:44 - Nov 18 by Vic

All depends on if they line themselves up for scrutiny in the near future I'd suggest. Although I'm not sure if "underclass" is a particularly useful term either. Let alone what those problems actually are that you're referring to.

First the EU, now the UN on 17:09 - Nov 18 with 1809 viewscaught-in-limbo

First the EU, now the UN on 16:48 - Nov 18 by Mullet

Says the person who had to reply twice with some of the worst attempt at put downs this site has ever seen.

Why would I feel the need to put down someone who's clearly showing signs of an inferiority complex?
[Post edited 18 Nov 2018 17:17]

#toxic

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024