Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just watched the England-Croatia match 16:43 - Nov 18 with 7411 viewsSuperfrans

It left me utterly disinterested.

Am I the only one who can’t get at all excited by this Nation’s League thing?
It just feels to me like a footballing equivalent of yet another World Boxing federation inventing another belt, so two (or now four) boxers can be world champions at the same time.

It’s obviously a massive money making exercise, it means we’ll have two European Champions at the same time and I just don’t buy the “excitement of the various permutations”... in 10 minutes Croatia went from being “one of the best 4 teams in Europe” (according to Sky) to being relegated. What the...?

Sky are hammering it to death of course... I look forward to them selling Ireland vs Austria now, the definition of a dead rubber.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Just watched the England-Croatia match on 17:42 - Nov 18 with 1542 viewsReuser_is_God

No, I think it’s brilliant.

Much better than beating Lithuania 5-0 & gaining absolutely nothing from it.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Just watched the England-Croatia match on 17:45 - Nov 18 with 1532 viewsFtnfwest

Just watched the England-Croatia match on 17:35 - Nov 18 by Superfrans

I wonder though whether Malta would prefer to play Gibraltar or Spain though.

Likewise, my point earlier about “what if we’d been relegated” was about this point. Everyone (on here, in any case) seems excited. But that’s because we were playing Spain and Croatia. What if we were playing Turkey and Bosnia? Would those matches be exciting to people?

Uefa at one point seemed to think bringing the smaller nations in and putting them up against Spain or Germany would bring their standard up, but not getting out of your half for 90 minutes is only going to make you better at desperate defending really. Surely playing games you have a chance of winning is more meaningful than your ‘dead rubbers’ anyway?
Just watched the England-Croatia match on 17:46 - Nov 18 with 1530 viewsSuperfrans

Just watched the England-Croatia match on 17:42 - Nov 18 by Reuser_is_God

Your hankering after a meaningless trophy makes you sound like a Norwich fan, you know that...?

Just watched the England-Croatia match on 17:55 - Nov 18 with 1516 viewsRamRob

Why when people celebrate a win and progression do some people dismiss it as hype so quickly. Just let people celebrate a little, haven't had much to shout about in so long what does it hurt... You can pick it apart later

The Croatian team certainly cared about winning today, couple of their players were close to tears.

Poll: What should be the music when opposition score?

Just watched the England-Croatia match on 17:56 - Nov 18 with 1513 viewsTrequartista

Just watched the England-Croatia match on 17:42 - Nov 18 by Reuser_is_God

We wouldn't be playing Lithuania in a friendly. We'd arrange friendlies against the likes of Croatia and Spain.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Just watched the England-Croatia match on 18:01 - Nov 18 with 1502 viewsfactual_blue

Just watched the England-Croatia match on 17:27 - Nov 18 by Superfrans

Either works fine. They are widely considered to be interchangeable.

Widely, but not universally. Because they aren't.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Just watched the England-Croatia match on 18:09 - Nov 18 with 1501 viewsRyorry

To me, it's a 3rd rank comp after the WC & European Championships.

Similar to what would be 3rd rank in club comps after Champs League & UEFA cup.

Better than friendlies, and a better test for teams than friendlies, as has been pointed out.

I still feel a bit 'meh' about it tho tbh - I always like to see England do well, but wouldn't be devasted if we'd lost like I would be if it were one of the two bigger comps.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Just watched the England-Croatia match on 18:27 - Nov 18 with 1487 viewstextbackup

Just watched the England-Croatia match on 17:11 - Nov 18 by Superfrans

Are you watching Northern Ireland-Austria at the moment? Neither team can qualify for anything. Northern Ireland are already relegated. It’s a competitive match - tell me that has more meaning than a friendly.

It’s a competition which creates just as many dull meaningless matches, but means that we’ll have two champions of Europe in 18 months time. It’s the WBO European Championships.

Utter nonsense.

mate you follow town, any game is a step up from watching us the last few years

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Login to get fewer ads

Just watched the England-Croatia match on 18:29 - Nov 18 with 1483 viewstextbackup

Just watched the England-Croatia match on 17:46 - Nov 18 by Superfrans

Your hankering after a meaningless trophy makes you sound like a Norwich fan, you know that...?

that team currently top of the league we are bottom of. must be awful being them at the moment

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Just watched the England-Croatia match on 18:31 - Nov 18 with 1471 viewsGlasgowBlue

Just watched the England-Croatia match on 18:09 - Nov 18 by Ryorry

Better than friendlies, and a better test for teams than friendlies, as has been pointed out.

I still feel a bit 'meh' about it tho tbh - I always like to see England do well, but wouldn't be devasted if we'd lost like I would be if it were one of the two bigger comps.

If the World Cup is the Champion's League and the Euros are the UEFA Cup then I guess the Nations League is the old European Cup Winner's Cup.

A third tier trophy but a trophy all the same. And one I hope England win.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Just watched the England-Croatia match on 18:39 - Nov 18 with 1469 viewsBLUEBEAT

Enjoyed the match but I really don’t like the new Wembley. Only my second visit but radiates a hollow corporate feeling. No soul.

Poll: W or W

Just watched the England-Croatia match on 18:41 - Nov 18 with 1465 viewsgiant_stow

If England were rolling in recent trophies, I'd get your point.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Just watched the England-Croatia match on 18:46 - Nov 18 with 1459 viewsSuperfrans

Just watched the England-Croatia match on 18:29 - Nov 18 by textbackup

that team currently top of the league we are bottom of. must be awful being them at the moment

Are you hankering after being a Norwich autumn fan? Blimey, that’s an admission.

Just watched the England-Croatia match on 18:47 - Nov 18 with 1454 viewsSuperfrans

Just watched the England-Croatia match on 18:27 - Nov 18 by textbackup

mate you follow town, any game is a step up from watching us the last few years

Not sure about you, but I’ll always be a Town fan and I’ll always love saying that.

Just watched the England-Croatia match on 18:49 - Nov 18 with 1447 viewsSuperfrans

Just watched the England-Croatia match on 17:55 - Nov 18 by RamRob

Why when people celebrate a win and progression do some people dismiss it as hype so quickly. Just let people celebrate a little, haven't had much to shout about in so long what does it hurt... You can pick it apart later

The Croatian team certainly cared about winning today, couple of their players were close to tears.

I wouldn’t dismiss it as hype if England were in the semi final of the European Championships.

Just watched the England-Croatia match on 18:57 - Nov 18 with 1432 viewsGlasgowBlue

Just watched the England-Croatia match on 18:49 - Nov 18 by Superfrans

I wouldn’t dismiss it as hype if England were in the semi final of the European Championships.

Well we were in the semi final of the World cup just 4 months ago and now the semi final of the Nations League, topping a group that included Spain and the team who knocked us out of the WC. So I think that it's an indication that England are showing progress and great promise under Gareth Southgate and it is well worth celebrating.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Just watched the England-Croatia match on 19:24 - Nov 18 with 1415 viewsReuser_is_God

Not hankering after a meaningless trophy.

I want to see England playing competitive games against the best sides on a regular basis & that’s exactly what the nations league is.

Evans out

Just watched the England-Croatia match on 19:25 - Nov 18 with 1415 viewsReuser_is_God

Just watched the England-Croatia match on 17:56 - Nov 18 by Trequartista

We wouldn't be playing Lithuania in a friendly. We'd arrange friendlies against the likes of Croatia and Spain.

But we’d playing playing qualifying games against them over a 2 year period.

Evans out

Just watched the England-Croatia match on 19:28 - Nov 18 with 1411 viewsSuperfrans

Just watched the England-Croatia match on 19:24 - Nov 18 by Reuser_is_God

Not hankering after a meaningless trophy.

I want to see England playing competitive games against the best sides on a regular basis & that’s exactly what the nations league is.

Until we get relegated. Then it’ll be Bosnia and Turkey. 👍🏻

Just watched the England-Croatia match on 19:33 - Nov 18 with 1407 viewsReuser_is_God

Just watched the England-Croatia match on 19:28 - Nov 18 by Superfrans

Until we get relegated. Then it’ll be Bosnia and Turkey. 👍🏻

FFS negative negative negative

Evans out

Just watched the England-Croatia match on 19:37 - Nov 18 with 1399 viewsStokieBlue

I rather enjoy it and you can see the teams are making more of an effort.

It also means that we play good teams much more often which will help when it comes to big tournaments.

It's a good step forward, one of the few good things UEFA have done recently.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Just watched the England-Croatia match on 19:37 - Nov 18 with 1400 viewscaught-in-limbo

It's a bit like ODI cricket, that was absolutely rubbish until we got good at it.

Your view is unpopular because we generally played well and actually won the group.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Just watched the England-Croatia match on 19:43 - Nov 18 with 1387 viewsbrogansnose

Just watched the England-Croatia match on 18:09 - Nov 18 by Ryorry

I'm sorry R, but I hate losing firstly if its Ipswich then if its England. It always matters if we lose.
Just watched the England-Croatia match on 19:45 - Nov 18 with 1386 viewsSuperfrans

Just watched the England-Croatia match on 19:33 - Nov 18 by Reuser_is_God

FFS negative negative negative

😂😂😂😂😂

I’m not really that bothered tbh.

But so many of the comments on here are predicated on England doing well.
That’s not a comment on the competition, that’s people being excited about England doing well.
Personally, I’m not bothered about England doing well in a nothing competition.
The test of the competition is whether you’re all interested in it when we’re doing poorly.
Surely you see that?
[Post edited 18 Nov 2018 19:48]

Just watched the England-Croatia match on 19:50 - Nov 18 with 1380 viewsTrequartista

Just watched the England-Croatia match on 19:25 - Nov 18 by Reuser_is_God

But we’d playing playing qualifying games against them over a 2 year period.

We still have a qualfication group against these type of teams for Euro 2020 don't we? (Genuine question, i haven't actually researched this)

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024