Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Extinction Rebellion..... 19:40 - Nov 18 with 891 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Watch this space.....
http://theconversation.com/extinction-rebellion-im-an-academic-embracing-direct-
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/nov/17/thousands-gather-to-block-lo
https://rebellion.earth

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Extinction Rebellion..... on 19:43 - Nov 18 with 877 viewsWD19

Is organised disobedience still disobedience?
Extinction Rebellion..... on 20:15 - Nov 18 with 848 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Extinction Rebellion..... on 19:43 - Nov 18 by WD19

Is organised disobedience still disobedience?

Hopefully!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Extinction Rebellion..... on 09:13 - Nov 19 with 798 viewsStokieBlue

Is the right to protest the right to interfere with other people's lives? Genuine debate to be had there I would say. They essentially stopped London working for anyone who needed to get across the river above ground.

They have some valid points of course, no argument there and something does need to force people/politicians to take notice of the world around them.

SB
[Post edited 19 Nov 2018 9:27]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Extinction Rebellion..... on 09:20 - Nov 19 with 782 viewsSwansea_Blue

Extinction Rebellion..... on 09:13 - Nov 19 by StokieBlue

Is the right to protest the right to interfere with other people's lives? Genuine debate to be had there I would say. They essentially stopped London working for anyone who needed to get across the river above ground.

They have some valid points of course, no argument there and something does need to force people/politicians to take notice of the world around them.

SB

Please tell me this is sarcasm?

It's not "their cause". It's a cause for all of us. Actually, it's far more than a cause. We've a duty of care to look after this place we call home. A moral obligation to look after species we're wiping out. If we want to be selfish, then at the very least let's not feck it up for our kids and their kids, although I'd like to think we care a bit more about what we're doing in it's own right.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Extinction Rebellion..... on 09:23 - Nov 19 with 774 viewsStokieBlue

Extinction Rebellion..... on 09:20 - Nov 19 by Swansea_Blue

Please tell me this is sarcasm?

It's not "their cause". It's a cause for all of us. Actually, it's far more than a cause. We've a duty of care to look after this place we call home. A moral obligation to look after species we're wiping out. If we want to be selfish, then at the very least let's not feck it up for our kids and their kids, although I'd like to think we care a bit more about what we're doing in it's own right.

I've edited my post to make my point a bit clearer.

I agree it's a valid cause and I've said they have some very real points.

My point was do they or any protesters have the right to do whatever direct action they like regardless of how it affects peoples lives? What if they decided to do it everyday and London was actually unable to function as a city. Would that still be acceptable? I'm trying to see where the boundaries for direct action lay in peoples minds.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Extinction Rebellion..... on 09:43 - Nov 19 with 746 viewsSwansea_Blue

Extinction Rebellion..... on 09:23 - Nov 19 by StokieBlue

I've edited my post to make my point a bit clearer.

I agree it's a valid cause and I've said they have some very real points.

My point was do they or any protesters have the right to do whatever direct action they like regardless of how it affects peoples lives? What if they decided to do it everyday and London was actually unable to function as a city. Would that still be acceptable? I'm trying to see where the boundaries for direct action lay in peoples minds.

SB

Ah, ok, I was somewhat surprised when I saw it was you posting that!

Good question. No criminal damage or violent action is probably a good starting point, but are there cases when criminal damage is the only route (e.g. sabotaging logging equipment)? Not sure on that.

The impact of the direct action (certainly in this case) is far, far lower than the impacts of the things they are protesting against. So I think they can go a fair way with their action if they are not being heard.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024