Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
You amateur refs. 03:21 - Nov 22 with 2500 viewsjeera

You must be mad. Thankless task:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46208857

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

You amateur refs. on 05:07 - Nov 22 with 2465 viewsm14_blue

Horrific isn’t it? Surprised they can find anyone willing to do it.

The complete and utter lack of respect shown to referees by everyone in the professional game can’t help either.
You amateur refs. on 07:19 - Nov 22 with 2430 viewschristiand

Had a young referee on Sunday and he managed the game superbly and dealt with any incidents confidently and decisively. Yet you still hear comments from the touchline from spectators that are unable to look people in the eye or have selective hearing when asked to run the line. Just easier to criticise than actually be proactive themselves!!! I do feel for some referees especially if they are half decent and making their way in their officiating career. How are we expected to get people involved in refereeing when they have to put up with that abuse each weekend? As you say Jeera a thankless task!

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

You amateur refs. on 09:18 - Nov 22 with 2379 viewsGlebeTractor

I wouldn't say I'm amateur, but I did quite a large derby game in the non-league set up a few months ago, sent someone off, after the game he was waiting for us in the tunnel, kicked right off, threats to kill, threats to stab etc last week found out he now has a life ban.

Lesson: Don't call an assistant a c**t, don't threaten to kill them!

Poll: Was that the worst game you've been to? If not, what was?

You amateur refs. on 09:29 - Nov 22 with 2371 viewsbrazil1982

Reffing juniors is generally a pleasant experience - most moaning comes from the coaches who take an under 10's match far too seriously.

Reffing adults is, in general, horrible. They moan throughout - how referees in lower leagues put up with it I don't know - go to any lower non-league match and listen to the players/coaches/spectators having a go at the Ref for the ENTIRE match.

MOTD analysis doesn't help either.
You amateur refs. on 10:14 - Nov 22 with 2342 viewsGlebeTractor

You amateur refs. on 07:19 - Nov 22 by christiand

Had a young referee on Sunday and he managed the game superbly and dealt with any incidents confidently and decisively. Yet you still hear comments from the touchline from spectators that are unable to look people in the eye or have selective hearing when asked to run the line. Just easier to criticise than actually be proactive themselves!!! I do feel for some referees especially if they are half decent and making their way in their officiating career. How are we expected to get people involved in refereeing when they have to put up with that abuse each weekend? As you say Jeera a thankless task!

It's one of those things. The higher up the pyramid you go, it does tend to get a lot better. Obviously you then have increased crowds, but don't worry about them. Control only what you can control.

Everyone has to start somewhere, and unfortunately that tends to be on a council owned field, in the middle of an overpopulated town, on your own, with only club assistants to run your line, you are alone, but for anyone reading this, once you get passed your levels 7, 6 and 5 it does get a lot better as you tend to find a lot more players are paid (level 4-3), therefore some think before they open their mouths as they will now lose income.

You amateur refs. on 10:32 - Nov 22 with 2315 viewsStokieBlue

I really don't understand it, how can these people consider it important enough to do these things to the refs?

It's totally bizarre.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

You amateur refs. on 10:37 - Nov 22 with 2309 viewsBluePG

It starts from the top. Overly critical and intrusive analysis of referees’ performances from pundits, who are always ex-players. Who was the last professional footballer to go down the refereeing route? Has there ever been one?!

Look at cricket; all the first-class umpires are former players.

Poll: Best Dane?

You amateur refs. on 10:40 - Nov 22 with 2303 viewschicoazul

I was always rubbish at football but I love the game and occasionally I find myself thinking of becoming a ref just for a hobby, running it alongside my son's Sunday morning games. Then I see things like this.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Login to get fewer ads

You amateur refs. on 10:42 - Nov 22 with 2298 viewschicoazul

You amateur refs. on 10:14 - Nov 22 by GlebeTractor

It's one of those things. The higher up the pyramid you go, it does tend to get a lot better. Obviously you then have increased crowds, but don't worry about them. Control only what you can control.

Everyone has to start somewhere, and unfortunately that tends to be on a council owned field, in the middle of an overpopulated town, on your own, with only club assistants to run your line, you are alone, but for anyone reading this, once you get passed your levels 7, 6 and 5 it does get a lot better as you tend to find a lot more players are paid (level 4-3), therefore some think before they open their mouths as they will now lose income.

Good post, thanks. Something for me to think about.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

You amateur refs. on 10:45 - Nov 22 with 2292 viewsFrimleyBlue

It's a thankless task but also, the fa have got to assign officials to the correct games.

For example, last weekend we played a local derby, now with all derbies you expect a level of heat, what did the fa do, give us a 17 year old in the middle in his 4th game as an official, not only that, but he was level 7 officiating a level 6 derby.

In the fa cup, we visited Lymington, lots of money on the game, over £3k to the winning side In total, the ref, was 19 had ran the line most of his officiating career and this was his 3rd game as a referee!

Now, I wont ever condone those actions in the stories posted. What I will say is the FA need to support them a lot lot better and give them games that they should be officiating.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

You amateur refs. on 10:59 - Nov 22 with 2278 viewsGlebeTractor

You amateur refs. on 10:45 - Nov 22 by FrimleyBlue

It's a thankless task but also, the fa have got to assign officials to the correct games.

For example, last weekend we played a local derby, now with all derbies you expect a level of heat, what did the fa do, give us a 17 year old in the middle in his 4th game as an official, not only that, but he was level 7 officiating a level 6 derby.

In the fa cup, we visited Lymington, lots of money on the game, over £3k to the winning side In total, the ref, was 19 had ran the line most of his officiating career and this was his 3rd game as a referee!

Now, I wont ever condone those actions in the stories posted. What I will say is the FA need to support them a lot lot better and give them games that they should be officiating.

You find appointments are more frequent on the line until you reach L3 where you can specially go in one direction. For instance, a level 4 can expect to do 30 lines a season and only 10 middles, most of which they will be assessed on. It's a difficult task, but referees have to take middles when they can get them.

In terms of middle appointments to the wrong fixtures at 7/6 levels the county FA will know that referee very well and will know what they are and what they are not capable of doing. The only way a referee will learn is to be put on the challenging fixtures.

I once had a game where I binned 3 players from one side in the first half. Goodness me it was the hardest game I have ever had to do. But I am so glad it happened to me as I took a lot from it, and used that in my next fixtures.

You amateur refs. on 11:58 - Nov 22 with 2245 viewsSwansea_Blue

You amateur refs. on 10:37 - Nov 22 by BluePG

It starts from the top. Overly critical and intrusive analysis of referees’ performances from pundits, who are always ex-players. Who was the last professional footballer to go down the refereeing route? Has there ever been one?!

Look at cricket; all the first-class umpires are former players.

And also comes from the bottom too - far too many parents don't set the right example to kids, who then grow up thinking that it's ok to behave like tools (applies to a lot more than refereeing).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

You amateur refs. on 11:58 - Nov 22 with 2246 viewsm14_blue

You amateur refs. on 09:29 - Nov 22 by brazil1982

Reffing juniors is generally a pleasant experience - most moaning comes from the coaches who take an under 10's match far too seriously.

Reffing adults is, in general, horrible. They moan throughout - how referees in lower leagues put up with it I don't know - go to any lower non-league match and listen to the players/coaches/spectators having a go at the Ref for the ENTIRE match.

Plenty of top level professional managers spend the entire 90 minutes berating the ref and/or 4th official and then slate them in their post match interviews too.

The FA lack the courage to really tackle the issue.

How many times do PL players show dissent? It’s endemic, happens after almost every decision, even a particularly clear cut throw in is contested to try and influence future decisions.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2018 11:59]
You amateur refs. on 12:03 - Nov 22 with 2238 viewsPilgrimblue

You amateur refs. on 09:29 - Nov 22 by brazil1982

This reminds me when I was chatting to ref who sometimes is in charge of ladies games and said often they come up to him on questionable decisions and say "f??k me ref!"
You amateur refs. on 17:02 - Nov 22 with 2140 viewsphilwhelansdegree

I sometimes referee my son's junior matches. I'm not qualified or had any training, just doing it as a favour. It's harder than it looks and I have had abuse on three separate occasions . Every time from coaches who act like it's the Premier League on the touchline. Each time, this behaviour has seeped through to the impressionable 11 year olds who then begin questioning every decision too.
Once after his team conceded a goal, a coach walked onto the field of play before the game restarted and asked if I had seen the push on his goalkeeper and called me a retard when I asked him to leave the field of play!!
I would never in a million years referee an adult game!
You amateur refs. on 18:30 - Nov 22 with 2097 viewspeterleeblue

You amateur refs. on 10:59 - Nov 22 by GlebeTractor

You find appointments are more frequent on the line until you reach L3 where you can specially go in one direction. For instance, a level 4 can expect to do 30 lines a season and only 10 middles, most of which they will be assessed on. It's a difficult task, but referees have to take middles when they can get them.

In terms of middle appointments to the wrong fixtures at 7/6 levels the county FA will know that referee very well and will know what they are and what they are not capable of doing. The only way a referee will learn is to be put on the challenging fixtures.

I once had a game where I binned 3 players from one side in the first half. Goodness me it was the hardest game I have ever had to do. But I am so glad it happened to me as I took a lot from it, and used that in my next fixtures.

Glebe you are clearly well informed. I am a level 4 ref. You are spot on Level 4's do at least one third of their games on the line.

The biggest problem I have with the whole refereeing system is that it is geared to finding the best talent early and engineering youngsters to Conference level and above asap.
So for example youngsters will get an easier ride from the observer to get them promoted to see if they can cut it at the next level asap.
The problem with this is that sometimes young officials get onto games they cant handle to quickly which is neither fair on the clubs involved or indeed the individual who really needed a season or two longer at the lower level.
The other problem is that the senior people in refereeing do not support refs but have an assessment process that is geared towards pulling refs to bits rather than motivating and helping development. Other issues exist when observers will mark down officials from neighbouring counties which then eases the way for the officials from their own Regional FA to progress. The politics in the promotional system for officials is far worse than many blue chip companies that I have worked in which is remarkable when you think that Level 3 and level 4 officiating is by and large a hobby.

in terms of the overall thread most of the grief comes from parents in youth football and the management of the club. If the manager is a Gobsh!te then you can bet the players will follow his lead. I once did a Sunday game where I sent of the manager when his team were losing 2-0 and his players berating every decision. After his dismissal they went onto to win 4-2 and bizarrely left me a lone.
After the match the manager actually came up to me and thanked me for the sending off as he had realised the error of his ways.
You amateur refs. on 19:19 - Nov 22 with 2075 viewshaughleyblue74

You amateur refs. on 07:19 - Nov 22 by christiand

I run the lines for the sons team at under 15s level and I have real issues with a certain club whose parents have leaned over the respect barrier and called me a cheat, remarks made about cheating ( unfortunately one is a Town fan who sits not far away from me in the south stand), the mangers are no better, funny thing is one of the managers runs the line as they have the selective hearing turn away parents once the flag is presented this happens every time we play them, the other week I nearly packed it in but ran the line last Saturday morning and again Sunday without issue and enjoyed it, I wont deny I get things wrong for both sides but I never cheat and I wonder if those gobby parents have ever considered we volunteer so their sons can play football!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024