Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brexit 16:28 - Nov 22 with 9247 viewsblueislander

It looks now as though there will be some sort of Brexit agreement with the EU. Obviously it won't satisfy a lot of people, but I think you have to admire May's tenacity in getting this far. It is very doubtful if it will get through parliament, unless the so-called hard Brexiteers capitulate as they did with the no confidence vote. What happens if it doesn't get passed is anyone's guess.
Brexit on 20:28 - Nov 22 with 3775 viewslowhouseblue

Brexit on 16:35 - Nov 22 by GlasgowBlue

I have to say that as somebody who doesn't have any fondness for Mrs May, she seems to be making the very best of the hand dealt to her and the fact she is still standing says something about her character.

she can hardly fail to look honourable and decent relative to the lot who are opposing her (on both sides). i find it hard to think of a prime minister who has been given a worse task.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Brexit on 20:46 - Nov 22 with 3752 viewsHerbivore

Brexit on 20:28 - Nov 22 by lowhouseblue

she can hardly fail to look honourable and decent relative to the lot who are opposing her (on both sides). i find it hard to think of a prime minister who has been given a worse task.

John Major had to slot Edwina Curry.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Brexit on 20:51 - Nov 22 with 3718 viewsGlasgowBlue

Brexit on 20:46 - Nov 22 by Herbivore

John Major had to slot Edwina Curry.

You’re on a roll tonight. Has Jim Davidson hacked your account?
[Post edited 22 Nov 2018 21:02]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Brexit on 21:05 - Nov 22 with 3717 viewsDarth_Koont

Brexit on 17:46 - Nov 22 by SomethingBlue

One can acknowledge her bloody-mindedness to a certain extent but the bottom line is that history will rightly judge her — and the mafia who have brought all this about — damningly.

Indeed.

I don't know about her strength of character it looks more like an absence of common sense and moral courage i.e. it's very easy to deal with a difficult situation if you don't really know what you're doing or care about the result. So long as you can wake up the next day and call yourself Prime Minister and the leader of your party.

May is a Kardashian-style car wreck of a politician who thinks she's winning because she's still in the spotlight. As you say, history will be utterly damning ... the worst Prime Minister ever.

Pronouns: He/Him

Brexit on 21:41 - Nov 22 with 3694 viewsXYZ

One can understand a grudging admiration of her indefatigability, then one's mind turns to the Windrush scandal, "GO HOME" billboards, etc, etc and you realise there's billions more deserving of one's pity.
Brexit on 22:23 - Nov 22 with 3670 viewsBloomBlue

Brexit on 21:05 - Nov 22 by Darth_Koont

Indeed.

I don't know about her strength of character it looks more like an absence of common sense and moral courage i.e. it's very easy to deal with a difficult situation if you don't really know what you're doing or care about the result. So long as you can wake up the next day and call yourself Prime Minister and the leader of your party.

May is a Kardashian-style car wreck of a politician who thinks she's winning because she's still in the spotlight. As you say, history will be utterly damning ... the worst Prime Minister ever.

Never, Blair was the worst Prime Minister ever
Brexit on 22:26 - Nov 22 with 3667 viewsHerbivore

Brexit on 22:23 - Nov 22 by BloomBlue

He's been comfortably eclipsed by May and Cameron.

Brexit on 22:27 - Nov 22 with 3667 viewsDarth_Koont

Brexit on 22:23 - Nov 22 by BloomBlue

Blair certainly tried to kill social democracy in this country and took us on a quasi-religious crusade to the Middle East. But I'll give him his due, he led the way.

May isn't a leader, she's an administrator of nothing.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2018 22:28]

Login to get fewer ads

Brexit on 22:34 - Nov 22 with 3657 viewsBloomBlue

Brexit on 22:26 - Nov 22 by Herbivore

He's been comfortably eclipsed by May and Cameron.

He sent British forces to their death off the back of a load of lies just to stay in bed with the yanks. He should be inside for murder
Brexit on 23:31 - Nov 22 with 3631 viewsHerbivore

Brexit on 22:34 - Nov 22 by BloomBlue

He sent British forces to their death off the back of a load of lies just to stay in bed with the yanks. He should be inside for murder

Cameron and May have driven the whole country off a cliff. That would warrant time inside if only there was room in the prisons and enough staff to make them function.

Brexit on 23:48 - Nov 22 with 3622 viewslinhdi

Brexit on 17:20 - Nov 22 by Pinewoodblue

The only thing that seems might happen is that the withdrawal document will be agreed. The EU have been very clever wasting so much time on the Irish problem.

Two years down the road and they have only recently started on drawing up a document outlining what might happen.

I cannot see any chance in the next 2 or & or even 10 years that a trade deal can be agreed. A deal that had to be agreed by all 27.

France will want a fisheries agreement that fully protected their fishing industry and Spain will never give up their claim to Gibraltar so will block any agreement. Look at all the trade negotiations between the EU and other Countries that card stalled, not going anywhere. Meanwhile we will still be paying whatever financial penalty the EU imposes.

Theresa May has been very forceful but it is just rhetoric.

There is a trade agreement ready and waiting for us to sign. The easiest deal in history. (Was that thick-as-mince Davis or Disgraced Former Defence Secretary Fox?). Problem is, that deal requires us to stay in the single market and customs union permanently. And pay through the nose for access without influence. Anything else screws the economy.

Tough choices still being kicked into very long grass.
Brexit on 00:21 - Nov 23 with 3599 viewsBinner

Indeed.

She is not even worse than her immediate predecessor - the idiot who lit the blue touch-paper and ran for the hills. Dave still being PM and handling these negotiations doesn't bear thinking about.

May seems to at least be engaged in attempting some level of damage limitation.

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

Brexit on 04:52 - Nov 23 with 3547 viewsWeWereZombies

Brexit on 00:21 - Nov 23 by Binner

She is not even worse than her immediate predecessor - the idiot who lit the blue touch-paper and ran for the hills. Dave still being PM and handling these negotiations doesn't bear thinking about.

You've hit the nail on the head, Binner. Damage limitation is what it is and Leave did the damage but now, in the true spirit of Bart Simpson, are saying 'It wasn't me'. Britain is losing respect and influence in the world every day that this carries on.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Brexit on 07:11 - Nov 23 with 3531 viewsFootballpete

Indeed.

Be fair, she's the worst prime minister since the last one. Call me Dave caused this mess, then fkkd off.

Poll: Which Top Gear presenter is the biggest dickhead?

Brexit on 09:14 - Nov 23 with 3505 viewsDarth_Koont

Brexit on 00:21 - Nov 23 by Binner

Disagree. Cameron certainly screwed up and had few redeeming qualities otherwise. But May stepped into the void and doubled down on the stupidity. After a narrow victory for Leave, she immediately pushed the immigration angle and hard Brexit line even harder than the Leavers did during the actual campaign. It got her power of sorts but set the whole country on this two-year journey up its own @rse.

After Cameron's bluff had been called, there was a time for applying some common sense and some reason but yet again private and party ambition held sway.

Brexit on 10:47 - Nov 23 with 3474 viewsNo9

Brexit on 16:44 - Nov 22 by Swansea_Blue

She seems to be leading us to a worst of both sides position, which is irresponsible imo.

But in terms of character, couldn’t agree more. She’s shown a determination and resilience sorely lacking in her former caninet colleagues. And batted away every challenge, seemingly with ease. There’s a lot more to her than I’ve given her credit for.

Difficult to know if she's strong willed OR thick
Brexit on 10:49 - Nov 23 with 3468 viewsNo9

Brexit on 17:20 - Nov 22 by Pinewoodblue

The only thing that seems might happen is that the withdrawal document will be agreed. The EU have been very clever wasting so much time on the Irish problem.

Two years down the road and they have only recently started on drawing up a document outlining what might happen.

I cannot see any chance in the next 2 or & or even 10 years that a trade deal can be agreed. A deal that had to be agreed by all 27.

France will want a fisheries agreement that fully protected their fishing industry and Spain will never give up their claim to Gibraltar so will block any agreement. Look at all the trade negotiations between the EU and other Countries that card stalled, not going anywhere. Meanwhile we will still be paying whatever financial penalty the EU imposes.

Theresa May has been very forceful but it is just rhetoric.

Denmark & the NL will be more difficult over fish, the media are just not telling
Brexit on 10:59 - Nov 23 with 3456 viewsGlasgowBlue

Brexit on 23:31 - Nov 22 by Herbivore

Cameron and May have driven the whole country off a cliff. That would warrant time inside if only there was room in the prisons and enough staff to make them function.

Lock her up? How very Donald Trump of you.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Brexit on 11:09 - Nov 23 with 3437 viewsNo9

Brexit on 20:28 - Nov 22 by lowhouseblue

"i find it hard to think of a prime minister who has been given a worse task."
What brick have you been hiding under?
Brexit on 11:22 - Nov 23 with 3424 viewsNo9

Brexit on 17:37 - Nov 22 by blueislander

That is the crux of it. It seems very likely that parliament will reject it. What happens then: carry on negotiating, which the EU have said they won't do; a new referendum, which May says she won't hold; or a general election , with the likelihood of a hung parliament?

Despite what we were told on the UK media last night the Spanish haven't accepted it, there are a number of other issues that will not be opened until the May 'Wish List' get to be negotiated some time down the way.
For any other party or individual to get into this would surely show signs of madness?
Brexit on 11:35 - Nov 23 with 3410 viewsPinewoodblue

Brexit on 11:22 - Nov 23 by No9

Despite what we were told on the UK media last night the Spanish haven't accepted it, there are a number of other issues that will not be opened until the May 'Wish List' get to be negotiated some time down the way.
For any other party or individual to get into this would surely show signs of madness?

Doesn't matter if Spain reject the document as it only needs a majority to accept it. The problem is down the line as anyone of the 27, of even.the Belgian regional governments can veto any trade deal.

If you check the EU website you can.discover ghe current state of negotiations with various countries. Some have been. stalled for years, India for example

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Brexit on 11:45 - Nov 23 with 3392 viewsNo9

Brexit on 11:35 - Nov 23 by Pinewoodblue

Doesn't matter if Spain reject the document as it only needs a majority to accept it. The problem is down the line as anyone of the 27, of even.the Belgian regional governments can veto any trade deal.

If you check the EU website you can.discover ghe current state of negotiations with various countries. Some have been. stalled for years, India for example

As far as Spain is concerned last night on the UK media it was all OK it didn't come out until late the from the Spanish the earlier report was incorrect e.g. what can we believe in our news programmes.
& as far as Gib specifically is concerned the voted strogly to remain they are heavily reliant on large numbers of Spaniards coming through the border (each way) daily. Close that border to personal checks and Gib has a problem.

Many of the trade agreements take a long while due, not least to quality issues.

The UK is throwing all the quality issues out, this is already a major problem with electrical components, part of the Customs issues are due to the UK passing in substandard goods from 3rd countries. Some cases still have to be heard & no doubt the Uk may be fined but that will all be grist to the mill to those who want to stop the UK becomeing an industrial factor.

We make very little ( a few niche products excepted) & ther isn't the will in governemtn or the CBI to re-industrialise the UK. This week more EU companies annouced they are pulling out
Brexit on 11:47 - Nov 23 with 3390 viewsNo9

Brexit on 09:14 - Nov 23 by Darth_Koont

Disagree. Cameron certainly screwed up and had few redeeming qualities otherwise. But May stepped into the void and doubled down on the stupidity. After a narrow victory for Leave, she immediately pushed the immigration angle and hard Brexit line even harder than the Leavers did during the actual campaign. It got her power of sorts but set the whole country on this two-year journey up its own @rse.

After Cameron's bluff had been called, there was a time for applying some common sense and some reason but yet again private and party ambition held sway.

Listen to R5L today 12.30, Mrs May will take calls from the public.
What is the bet she's going to get the public behind her then IF the MP's chuck it out she will risk a 2nd Ref?
Brexit on 12:06 - Nov 23 with 3375 viewsMJallday

Brexit on 16:35 - Nov 22 by GlasgowBlue

I have to say that as somebody who doesn't have any fondness for Mrs May, she seems to be making the very best of the hand dealt to her and the fact she is still standing says something about her character.

She was put into that position by Cameron offering the vote out, and indeed the result

in a nutshell, you cant deal with someone who is holding most of the cards.

I very much doubt Corbyn and co would have done a better job. - so i admire her tenancity and her indeed resolution to see this through. lesser people would have jacked it in.

one of 2 things will happen now.
Parliment will accept the deal - in which case off we go
parliment will reject the deal - there wont be anytime to reneg a new deal (and europe have already accepted this one) - so itll be "no deal" - and we're in that situation

"no deal" is the likely scenario right now.

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Brexit on 12:09 - Nov 23 with 3366 viewsCoachRob

Are we headed back to the time of Oliver Cromwell? Some idiots suggesting Mrs May waits for second vote on deal once the markets have fallen. BBC and Sky pushing Mrs May personal attributes rather than the deal shows how rubbish this deal is.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024