Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If we are going to insist on playing from the back 23:15 - Nov 23 with 5206 viewskizaitfc

We have to drop Chambers simple, he cannot play football.

if you want a cb to wear his heart on his sleeve amd throw himself into tackles he is you man

but if you want a cb who has the confidence to carry the ball and link up with the midfield then he is far from your man.

every pass from him either was misplaced, long or back to Bart who then knocked it long.

The answer might be play Chalobah who was solid for the England u20s i thought but with Skuse playing a deeper role for cover.

Overall we need to stay close to the other teams until Jan when hopefully Lambert can fix this mess

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

If we are going to insist on playing from the back on 23:28 - Nov 23 with 4317 viewsKieran_Knows

No, you drop Spence and Knudsen first.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

If we are going to insist on playing from the back on 23:38 - Nov 23 with 4286 viewsartsbossbeard

I don't think you understand football.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

If we are going to insist on playing from the back on 23:44 - Nov 23 with 4273 viewskizaitfc

If we are going to insist on playing from the back on 23:38 - Nov 23 by artsbossbeard

I don't think you understand football.

People need to stop constantly blaming the midfield and realise our cbs for far too long have been unable to play football

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

If we are going to insist on playing from the back on 23:45 - Nov 23 with 4271 viewsI_LOVE_GOLLOB

Knudsen 1st. Their 1st goal, he wandered out meaninglessly, may as well have gone to sign autographs. Piss poor from a problematic defender.

Poll: How would you kill a budgie?

If we are going to insist on playing from the back on 00:09 - Nov 24 with 4216 viewsBlueBadger

Replacing Chambers with Nsiala would be the act of an idiot.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

If we are going to insist on playing from the back on 00:10 - Nov 24 with 4219 viewsBrixtonBlue

Chambers made some excellent crossfield passes. Did you nip to the loo during those?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

If we are going to insist on playing from the back on 00:17 - Nov 24 with 4210 views3_5_2

If we are going to insist on playing from the back on 23:45 - Nov 23 by I_LOVE_GOLLOB

Knudsen 1st. Their 1st goal, he wandered out meaninglessly, may as well have gone to sign autographs. Piss poor from a problematic defender.

followed by appalling "marking" by Spence not a clue where his player was, should be goalside and touch tight in our box, able to see man and ball

Their player got round the back and headed it across

I don't totally agree about playing from the back, I prefer what we are trying to so than the old hoof they do play into midfield at times

Interesting you have such confidence in Chalobah you want Skuse to cover him way too young to play cb yet

If we had a striker who could play like Murphy and both win the flick ons and/or hold up, our defence would defend less at present, Roberts is doing well but is not a striker and the ball recycles too easily All 4 of their defence were big and strong v Sears, Edwards and Roberts we did not win a header all night

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

If we are going to insist on playing from the back on 06:59 - Nov 24 with 4117 viewsblueislander

If we are going to insist on playing from the back on 00:17 - Nov 24 by 3_5_2

followed by appalling "marking" by Spence not a clue where his player was, should be goalside and touch tight in our box, able to see man and ball

Their player got round the back and headed it across

I don't totally agree about playing from the back, I prefer what we are trying to so than the old hoof they do play into midfield at times

Interesting you have such confidence in Chalobah you want Skuse to cover him way too young to play cb yet

If we had a striker who could play like Murphy and both win the flick ons and/or hold up, our defence would defend less at present, Roberts is doing well but is not a striker and the ball recycles too easily All 4 of their defence were big and strong v Sears, Edwards and Roberts we did not win a header all night

Lambert obviously wants them to play from the back. Chambers and Pennington stood on the edges of the box everytime that Bart got the ball, and quite often he gave it to them. Then, more often they gave it back to Bart and he hoofed it. The obviously conclusion is that Chambers and Pennington are not comfortable on the ball, but they didn't get much help from the midfield and full backs offering themselves for an easy pass.
Login to get fewer ads

If we are going to insist on playing from the back on 07:58 - Nov 24 with 4051 viewsKeaneish

If we are going to insist on playing from the back on 23:44 - Nov 23 by kizaitfc

People need to stop constantly blaming the midfield and realise our cbs for far too long have been unable to play football

I think I can count on one hand the amount of CB's this country has produced who can actually 'play' football. Moot point for me.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

If we are going to insist on playing from the back on 08:01 - Nov 24 with 4049 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Chambers pass accuracy 79.6% . 3rd highest of the starting 11. 44 passes in total, 9 of which were long. Only 2nd to Trev in long pass completion.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

If we are going to insist on playing from the back on 09:58 - Nov 24 with 3929 viewsBrixtonBlue

If we are going to insist on playing from the back on 08:01 - Nov 24 by WestStanderLaLaLa

Chambers pass accuracy 79.6% . 3rd highest of the starting 11. 44 passes in total, 9 of which were long. Only 2nd to Trev in long pass completion.

Damn you and your facts!

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

If we are going to insist on playing from the back on 10:04 - Nov 24 with 3917 viewsm14_blue

If we are going to insist on playing from the back on 06:59 - Nov 24 by blueislander

Lambert obviously wants them to play from the back. Chambers and Pennington stood on the edges of the box everytime that Bart got the ball, and quite often he gave it to them. Then, more often they gave it back to Bart and he hoofed it. The obviously conclusion is that Chambers and Pennington are not comfortable on the ball, but they didn't get much help from the midfield and full backs offering themselves for an easy pass.

WBA pressed so high up as to make playing out from the back impossible, Man City’s centre backs couldn’t have done it.

That’s fine, and may even have been part of the plan to create more space higher up the pitch. However, it fell down because when we did go longer, usually aimed at Spence, we rarely won the first ball and almost never the second.

That left West Brom’s pacy players free to run at our very deep defence.

At least PL is trying things though and it may have been effective against less good opponents.
If we are going to insist on playing from the back on 11:22 - Nov 24 with 3866 viewsgordon

If we are going to insist on playing from the back on 00:09 - Nov 24 by BlueBadger

It wouldn't compare with the idiocy of replacing Webster with Nsiala + whichever other ones of Hurst's signings add up to £3.5million, though.
If we are going to insist on playing from the back on 12:35 - Nov 24 with 3821 viewsGeoffSentence

If we are going to insist on playing from the back on 00:09 - Nov 24 by BlueBadger

It would be, but no-one has suggested it. The OP's option was Chalobah.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

If we are going to insist on playing from the back on 12:38 - Nov 24 with 3815 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Have to be looking at the full back areas first. Spence and Knudsen are bigger issues than chambers

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

If we are going to insist on playing from the back on 13:25 - Nov 24 with 3774 viewsthebooks

Thought Chambers played some decent longer balls last night, although Pennington is better with the ball.

Still, I don't think the CBs are the problem. Chalobah and, to a lesser extent, Downes droppped back a lot but often lost the ball.

I can see Lambert is trying so many things to help us pose some sort of threat when we have possession. Spence and Chalobah would swap positions so Bart could either hit long to Spence or play it short to Chalobah. Neither really worked.

I was left with simple, depressing conclusion that we have a poor squad with a limited mix of skills.

Ironically enough, considering we have 50 or so central midefielders, I reckon we need something better in that position on loan, along with a striker, obviously.
If we are going to insist on playing from the back on 13:32 - Nov 24 with 3758 viewsJ2BLUE

I didn't get that at all. Bart passed to a defender, it either went straight back to Bart or back to him after 2-3 passes between the defence and then Bart punted it.

Why not just do that to start with? Such a shame Walters was in the studio and not on the pitch. We used to kick it towards him all the time and he's an outlet for that sort of tactic.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

If we are going to insist on playing from the back on 13:42 - Nov 24 with 3739 viewsblueislander

If we are going to insist on playing from the back on 08:01 - Nov 24 by WestStanderLaLaLa

How many of those passes were to Bart o r Pennington?
If we are going to insist on playing from the back on 13:45 - Nov 24 with 3733 viewsSwansea_Blue

If we are going to insist on playing from the back on 13:32 - Nov 24 by J2BLUE

I didn't get that at all. Bart passed to a defender, it either went straight back to Bart or back to him after 2-3 passes between the defence and then Bart punted it.

Why not just do that to start with? Such a shame Walters was in the studio and not on the pitch. We used to kick it towards him all the time and he's an outlet for that sort of tactic.

‘Start again’.

Nothing wrong with it going back, the problem is abandoning the approach at the first sign of a press. Our confidence is so fragile though so I can understand why we go long, and 3 of the back were schooled by Mick, so another reason not to be surprised.

It’ll take a long time for this group of players to be brave on the ball - but there were a few nice passages of slick passing last night, mostly when the ball came through Knudsen interestingly enough.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

If we are going to insist on playing from the back on 13:51 - Nov 24 with 3724 viewsthebooks

If we are going to insist on playing from the back on 13:45 - Nov 24 by Swansea_Blue

‘Start again’.

Nothing wrong with it going back, the problem is abandoning the approach at the first sign of a press. Our confidence is so fragile though so I can understand why we go long, and 3 of the back were schooled by Mick, so another reason not to be surprised.

It’ll take a long time for this group of players to be brave on the ball - but there were a few nice passages of slick passing last night, mostly when the ball came through Knudsen interestingly enough.

Yeah, I've just watched the highlights, and Knudsen was involved in a lot of our good stuff.

We didn't look quite as bad as I felt while watching the match. Maybe there is some hope.
If we are going to insist on playing from the back on 13:58 - Nov 24 with 3712 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

If we are going to insist on playing from the back on 16:47 - Nov 24 with 3647 viewsBogblue

Chambers is one of the few things we have holding us together
If we are going to insist on playing from the back on 16:56 - Nov 24 with 3627 viewsSuperfrans

If we are going to insist on playing from the back on 06:59 - Nov 24 by blueislander

They weren’t playing on the edges of the box, they were playing on the side of the box, in FB position, and that wasn’t so they could dribble or pass out from the back, it was to stretch the play. You may have noticed that the FBs moved higher, also wide, so did our wing backs / wide attackers.

The strategy was to stretch the pitch to its fullest, create more space and give us more of a chance against a team who were far superior if we allowed the game to become a battle of a tight midfield.

So your “obviously conclusion” was incorrect.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

If we are going to insist on playing from the back on 17:08 - Nov 24 with 3603 viewsblueislander

If we are going to insist on playing from the back on 16:56 - Nov 24 by Superfrans

They weren’t playing on the edges of the box, they were playing on the side of the box, in FB position, and that wasn’t so they could dribble or pass out from the back, it was to stretch the play. You may have noticed that the FBs moved higher, also wide, so did our wing backs / wide attackers.

The strategy was to stretch the pitch to its fullest, create more space and give us more of a chance against a team who were far superior if we allowed the game to become a battle of a tight midfield.

So your “obviously conclusion” was incorrect.

If they only stationed themselves there to stretch the pitch,, why did Bart keep passing it to them for them to passit either to each other or back to Bart? To say that was part of the plan to stretch the pitch, is stretching my imagination. Whatever it was it didn't work.
If we are going to insist on playing from the back on 17:13 - Nov 24 with 3595 viewsSuperfrans

If we are going to insist on playing from the back on 17:08 - Nov 24 by blueislander

If they only stationed themselves there to stretch the pitch,, why did Bart keep passing it to them for them to passit either to each other or back to Bart? To say that was part of the plan to stretch the pitch, is stretching my imagination. Whatever it was it didn't work.

It’s about moving the opposition personnel.

Bart passes to Chambo, striker moves towards Chambo, ball back to Bart, more space for Bart to ping the ball low to Spence.

If you have the match on video, watch every single time the ball was with Bart.
Usually, under previous managers, the team has moved towards one side of the pitch so Bart can launch it into that side.
Consistently, over the past games under Lambert, the team has pulled wide to both touch lines.

Ask Harry From Bath, he’s commented on it in the Blue Monday podcasts. It’s quite obvious and quite deliberate, it’s no accident.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024