Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Probably more frustrated than I should be about last night 10:05 - Nov 24 with 3075 viewsSomethingBlue

Thought the longer we kept it at 1-0 that we might just do something — it was a good second half even if short on clear chances — and to concede a goal like that was incredibly annoying. Our corners were awful last night until the final few minutes. Think it was symptomatic of our trying to do the right things all night but not quite being good enough to carry them off.

My overriding sense though is that we'll be OK if we keep finishing games like that. I think I'd be saying that even if Jackson hadn't scored; we really kept at it after 0-2 and that encourages me greatly, Lambert's sides are known for it. but we really need do need things like Lankester's free-kick to start going in for us.

Don't think anyone played particularly badly or particularly brilliantly. Pennington looks assured. The short ball out to Chambers is problematic against a high press. Roberts really isn't up to it when you put him against centre-backs like those guys but can't fault the effort. I like Edwards when he has space to run into, of course, but does he have the touch or the guile when you're trying to construct? I don't really think so and that is probably why he hasn't done better in his career up to now.

Bristol City is very important now, as it always seemed to be. I think we can beat them, something has to go our way soon.

Crowd was good although still sense a majority of people are waiting for something to happen rather than instigate. Also, felt very sorry at half-time for the girl behind the far SBR lower bar — it had run out of lager after under a minute (!!!) and she was getting pelters & absolutely distraught. Utterly ridiculous from the club, things like this reflect a wider attitude and show how much we are holding ourselves back.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

on 10:13 - Nov 24 with 3041 views_

same on 10:19 - Nov 24 with 3015 viewsDyland

I was overly upset, largely because of the manner we conceded the second goal, after a day's traveling for work and too much sh1te lager (hohoho).

In the cold light of day I agree with your assessment and cautious optimism. Though as many have commented, the game on Wednesday is really fooking important.

COYFB

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Probably more frustrated than I should be about last night on 10:20 - Nov 24 with 3005 viewschristiand

on 10:13 - Nov 24 by _

Not based on the first half Libero, the football was just long ball rubbish. I really felt for Roberts, half the size of their two centre halves.......here deal with that!!! No wonder WBA dominated that first half as we just kept giving them the ball. Second half was better and at least we did try and play some stuff on the ground and created some decent chances. For all WBA's quality, lets not forget they didn't get out of second gear last night and more importantly didn't need to either.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Probably more frustrated than I should be about last night on 10:22 - Nov 24 with 2993 viewsStNeotsBlue

The second goal was disappointing,came at a time when we'd been building some decent pressure. But the fact we kept at them and didn't throw the towel in is cause for hope.

Similar scenes at the bar in the North upper, no lager left and by the time I got served the only hot food left was a single sausage roll, whoever runs the catering is failing miserably and doing the poor sods who have to serve at the counters a massive disservice.
on 10:23 - Nov 24 with 2985 views_

Probably more frustrated than I should be about last night on 10:20 - Nov 24 by christiand

Not based on the first half Libero, the football was just long ball rubbish. I really felt for Roberts, half the size of their two centre halves.......here deal with that!!! No wonder WBA dominated that first half as we just kept giving them the ball. Second half was better and at least we did try and play some stuff on the ground and created some decent chances. For all WBA's quality, lets not forget they didn't get out of second gear last night and more importantly didn't need to either.

Probably more frustrated than I should be about last night on 10:28 - Nov 24 with 2973 viewsReuser_is_God

Good stuff.

Re the lack of beer I also found it funny that the club were encouraging fans to get to the game early to avoid queues (fair enough) but they didn’t even have all the turnstiles open!

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Probably more frustrated than I should be about last night on 10:28 - Nov 24 with 2970 viewsSomethingBlue

Probably more frustrated than I should be about last night on 10:20 - Nov 24 by christiand

Wasn't long ball rubbish, that's just not what was happening, we were trying *every time* to construct from the back but against a press like theirs we were shown up for not quite being good enough to do it and, yes, then you sometimes have to go long. What we really needed was more of a target man to make plan B more effective.

Probably more frustrated than I should be about last night on 10:30 - Nov 24 with 2961 viewschristiand

on 10:23 - Nov 24 by _

I don't dispute that Libero and on reflection there were positives to take from the game, but agree with one of your earlier comments if PL keeps us up then it would be miraculous. We did look very one dimensional and limited during that first half. I'm still hopeful, but I'm very much looking at that 4th from bottom position and nothing more.

Login to get fewer ads

Probably more frustrated than I should be about last night on 10:31 - Nov 24 with 2954 viewsReuser_is_God

Probably more frustrated than I should be about last night on 10:28 - Nov 24 by SomethingBlue

Wasn't long ball rubbish, that's just not what was happening, we were trying *every time* to construct from the back but against a press like theirs we were shown up for not quite being good enough to do it and, yes, then you sometimes have to go long. What we really needed was more of a target man to make plan B more effective.

Bang on.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Probably more frustrated than I should be about last night on 10:35 - Nov 24 with 2945 viewschristiand

Probably more frustrated than I should be about last night on 10:28 - Nov 24 by SomethingBlue

Sorry, but it was. You need to watch the game again SomethingBlue, the majority of the time it was just long ball in that first half and we have no target man. Chalobah I noticed a few times drop to get the ball from Bart, but he was ignored. That's not to say the second half was better, which it was.....that was plan B!!

Probably more frustrated than I should be about last night on 10:37 - Nov 24 with 2941 viewsSomethingBlue

Probably more frustrated than I should be about last night on 10:35 - Nov 24 by christiand

Sorry, but it was. You need to watch the game again SomethingBlue, the majority of the time it was just long ball in that first half and we have no target man. Chalobah I noticed a few times drop to get the ball from Bart, but he was ignored. That's not to say the second half was better, which it was.....that was plan B!!

I don't dispute that we were forced to go long at times but, that apart, I'm genuinely not sure we attended the same game. Did you miss Chambers dropping short on *every single occasion*?
[Post edited 24 Nov 2018 10:39]

Probably more frustrated than I should be about last night on 10:40 - Nov 24 with 2925 viewschristiand

Probably more frustrated than I should be about last night on 10:37 - Nov 24 by SomethingBlue

I don't dispute that we were forced to go long at times but, that apart, I'm genuinely not sure we attended the same game. Did you miss Chambers dropping short on *every single occasion*?
[Post edited 24 Nov 2018 10:39]

I was unable to attend as my lad trains at Southend United on a Friday, but watching on TV I'm not sure that Jon Walters or Keith Andrews know much about football either then? They saw the same as me.

Probably more frustrated than I should be about last night on 10:42 - Nov 24 with 2915 viewsSomethingBlue

Probably more frustrated than I should be about last night on 10:40 - Nov 24 by christiand

I was unable to attend as my lad trains at Southend United on a Friday, but watching on TV I'm not sure that Jon Walters or Keith Andrews know much about football either then? They saw the same as me.

Nah don't fall back on that, I won't have it. It was very clear what we were trying to do. We just weren't very good at doing it, partly because West Brom made it very hard.

exactly (n/t) on 10:42 - Nov 24 with 2907 viewsDyland

Probably more frustrated than I should be about last night on 10:42 - Nov 24 by SomethingBlue

Nah don't fall back on that, I won't have it. It was very clear what we were trying to do. We just weren't very good at doing it, partly because West Brom made it very hard.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Probably more frustrated than I should be about last night on 10:51 - Nov 24 with 2859 viewschristiand

Probably more frustrated than I should be about last night on 10:42 - Nov 24 by SomethingBlue

So, if it's not working change it. Which they did, but could it have been done earlier? The second half was how we should have played, that was plan B for me, it just looked like we couldn't play any other way during that first half. We just kept persisting with the long ball, giving the ball away cheaply and exposing our limitations.......it was painful viewing!
[Post edited 24 Nov 2018 10:53]

Probably more frustrated than I should be about last night on 11:14 - Nov 24 with 2804 viewsDarth_Koont

Yes, frustrating game in the end.

West Brom are clearly a better set of individuals and we struggled to get a foothold in the game. But that's going to happen and the key is to hold on and frustrate them. Which makes it vital our defence doesn't cough up easy chances like it did with the first goal and a couple of other occasions where the ball was just lifted into the danger area rather than played through us.

If there is a positive, I think last night's game gives Lambert a lot more information than the previous two about what we need to be doing better and who we should be looking at in January.

Pronouns: He/Him

Probably more frustrated than I should be about last night on 11:20 - Nov 24 with 2786 viewspointofblue

Probably more frustrated than I should be about last night on 10:40 - Nov 24 by christiand

At full time Keith Andrews said what we were trying to do is suck West Brom onto us then hit then with the long ball. Unlike Reading they had too much quality and street-smart to fall for that, leaving us foundering until Lambert could get hold of them and draw up a different plan.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Probably more frustrated than I should be about last night on 11:47 - Nov 24 with 2728 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Probably more frustrated than I should be about last night on 10:35 - Nov 24 by christiand

95 long passes out of a total of 455

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Probably more frustrated than I should be about last night on 12:05 - Nov 24 with 2690 viewsITFC_Forever

We were ok in patches, but not for long enough or often enough - the WBA defence was big and strong, but limited when tested, I would like to have seen us out then under more pressure.

You are right, the longer it stayed 0-1, we had a chance, and from the Lower North, it looked like a clear two-handed shove in the back on Lankester.

Last night we ultimately came up just short, but our season won’t be defined by how we do against relegated teams with their parachute money, there were always going to be bumps in the road. And with cheap tickets, a big crowd, live on Sky and Stroud reffing, last night always had defeat written all over it. I just hope we don’t run out of road...

On the final point, a friend of my daughter is 16 and works in one of the North Stand bars.

She says luckily she usually only does the Upper tier, her and her colleagues hate doing the Lower tier due to the appalling way they are spoken to and shouted at.

Big tough lads, shouting at and verbally abusing young girls. Absolute heroes.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2018 12:11]

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

on 12:07 - Nov 24 with 2689 views_

Probably more frustrated than I should be about last night on 12:05 - Nov 24 by ITFC_Forever

We were ok in patches, but not for long enough or often enough - the WBA defence was big and strong, but limited when tested, I would like to have seen us out then under more pressure.

You are right, the longer it stayed 0-1, we had a chance, and from the Lower North, it looked like a clear two-handed shove in the back on Lankester.

Last night we ultimately came up just short, but our season won’t be defined by how we do against relegated teams with their parachute money, there were always going to be bumps in the road. And with cheap tickets, a big crowd, live on Sky and Stroud reffing, last night always had defeat written all over it. I just hope we don’t run out of road...

On the final point, a friend of my daughter is 16 and works in one of the North Stand bars.

She says luckily she usually only does the Upper tier, her and her colleagues hate doing the Lower tier due to the appalling way they are spoken to and shouted at.

Big tough lads, shouting at and verbally abusing young girls. Absolute heroes.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2018 12:11]

Probably more frustrated than I should be about last night on 12:48 - Nov 24 with 2619 viewschristiand

Probably more frustrated than I should be about last night on 11:47 - Nov 24 by WestStanderLaLaLa

95 long passes out of a total of 455

93 of those long passes probably occurred in the first half I would’ve thought.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2018 12:51]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024