Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Now this annoys me 19:10 - Nov 24 with 8691 viewsiamipswich

Apologies but I’ve just realised how much this annoys me. Jack Marriott. We had one of the most gifted young footballers in the country for his time at the club. He scored goals for fun at youth level, went out on loan and did the same. But because he was smaller than 6ft, McCarthy refused to play him because his style didn’t accommodate someone small. Even Brett Pitman alone was a stretch.

We had one of the brightest young talents around and hoof ball deprived us of reaping the benefits of having him. This annoys me especially with our plight right now and seeing him bag goals in league 1 and now have a decent start with a good Derby side.

Apologies all I don’t know where this came from and what it brings to the table but I suppose that is what a forum is for. To vent one’s frustration. I think it was Ben Morris scoring today for Forest Green. I see similarities and hope he gets a chance.

Have a lovely weekend all.

Poll: Who will return first?

Now this annoys me on 16:44 - Nov 26 with 736 viewsHerbivore

Now this annoys me on 16:22 - Nov 26 by Garv

All that would stack up if he'd been given a chance with us.

What would count as being given a chance? When he was released he was behind Didz, Murphy, Sears and Pitman in the pecking order, quite a way behind in all honesty. The two seasons after he left us he scored a respectable but not eye-catching number of goals at League 2 level. It's quite conceivable, and in fact it's exactly what happened, that when we released him he wasn't close to being a Championship player and he looked like never being one. Kudos to him for proving the club wrong, he needed to leave to do so though.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Now this annoys me on 16:45 - Nov 26 with 737 viewsHarryWright

Now this annoys me on 13:29 - Nov 26 by rickw

There are far more players with good potential who don't fulfil that potential than those that do.

He'd done pretty well in loans in the conference but had 3 failed loans to league 1 + 2 clubs, since releasing him it's taken him 3 years to get up to Championship standard. Some players don't reach their level until they're mid-20's and he's said that being released was the kick he needed to push on.

He isn't like Rhodes who was instantly successful after being sold

All this stuff about failing at league clubs... he played 10 games, not sure how many of those were actually from the start (every col u game was off the bench). Why do we let a player go who is quite clearly a natural goalscorer. I just don't think 10 league games of which at least half were from the bench can be used as a reason to let him go..

It just seems criminal to invest so much into youth, coach these players and then decide they are not good enough and get rid at the first sign of trouble.
Now this annoys me on 16:47 - Nov 26 with 732 viewswkj

To be fair I cant deny the sentiment of the OP, isn't far off of how I feel too, but- we live we learn; not much else we can do but sit here with our crash helmets on
[Post edited 26 Nov 2018 16:57]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Now this annoys me on 16:57 - Nov 26 with 718 viewsWickets

Now this annoys me on 16:22 - Nov 26 by Garv

All that would stack up if he'd been given a chance with us.

I remember thinking it was strange the Mick did not use Marriot in a couple of cup matches, i am pretty sure he was at the club and available to play at least twice and did not even make the bench. That would have maybe helped him to feel he had a chance and around that time there where several players who where rather disillustioned at that time. Now many of those would not have made it in the game anyway but i dont think under Mick they thought they had a chance.
Now this annoys me on 18:26 - Nov 26 with 699 viewsHerbivore

Now this annoys me on 16:57 - Nov 26 by Wickets

I remember thinking it was strange the Mick did not use Marriot in a couple of cup matches, i am pretty sure he was at the club and available to play at least twice and did not even make the bench. That would have maybe helped him to feel he had a chance and around that time there where several players who where rather disillustioned at that time. Now many of those would not have made it in the game anyway but i dont think under Mick they thought they had a chance.

Although Mick did regularly blood youngsters in fairness. He gave debuts to loads of academy players, including Marriott.

Now this annoys me on 18:41 - Nov 26 with 693 viewsWhymarkmariner

I once read an article by Rodney Marsh. Him and a certain Georgie Best went on a right bender and were playing the following day. Rodney thought George would be the worst for wear and he destroyed City. Just goes to show that you can't always judge a book by it's cover. I often hear racehorse trainers say that a horse doesn't do anything at home, but once on the racetrack it's totally different. Maybe Jack needed an arm around him and MM hadn't the time, we will never know. But good luck to Jack anyway.
Now this annoys me on 22:01 - Nov 26 with 669 viewsWickets

Now this annoys me on 18:26 - Nov 26 by Herbivore

Although Mick did regularly blood youngsters in fairness. He gave debuts to loads of academy players, including Marriott.

Did He ?
Now this annoys me on 22:04 - Nov 26 with 666 viewsHerbivore

Now this annoys me on 22:01 - Nov 26 by Wickets

Did He ?

Yes. Where were you the last 6 years?

Login to get fewer ads

Now this annoys me on 22:04 - Nov 26 with 664 viewswkj

Now this annoys me on 22:01 - Nov 26 by Wickets

Did He ?

IIRC He played in a nothing game against Burnley on the final game of our season, it may have been Mick's first or second season here
[Post edited 26 Nov 2018 22:05]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024