Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brexit for simpletons. 18:38 - Nov 25 with 6041 viewsBurwell_Blue

I have zero interest in politics as no one party will ever provide what I need, stuff like the death penalty, having people on the dole actually working for it, stuff like that.

So consequently I don’t understand fully the whole Brexit thing. Can someone a little more intelligent in this subject please tell me why can we not just say, We, the UK are out. Close our borders and deal with whom ever we want to, when we want to and how we want to.

Why do we *need* a deal?
Brexit for simpletons. on 19:54 - Nov 25 with 2475 viewsBurwell_Blue

Brexit for simpletons. on 19:39 - Nov 25 by Guthrum

We close our borders, trade grinds to a halt (clogged by red tape, if nothing else), lots of UK businesses go bust.

Plus, who else do we start dealing with, rather than our current largest trading partner, the rest of the EU? So we'd still need a deal, similar to what the government are struggling to achieve now. With conditions - for example Norway pays into the EU and has to accept free movement of people (including workers).

Lovely, just what I was after. Thanks.
Brexit for simpletons. on 20:07 - Nov 25 with 2467 viewsGuthrum

Brexit for simpletons. on 19:54 - Nov 25 by Burwell_Blue

Lovely, just what I was after. Thanks.

The real problem the government has is that after 40+ years of the EEC and then the EU, the UK's trading affairs are thoroughly entwined with those of Europe. There's a lot of strands to be separated and cut (or not). A really tricky situation which it is near impossible to deal with - not helped by various influential factions at this end having their own hobby horses (e.g. fishing) and red lines (e.g. workers movement). Hardly surprising nobody really likes the deal, but it may be the best which is achievable in the time.

WTO rules (the default) are not draconian, but they are a heck of a lot less easy than the current situation when it comes to sending stuff to our nearest neighbours. Sudden, heavy paperwork increase. Potentially causing backlogs which mean hurried strengthening work on Kent motorways so they can be used as emergency lorry parks for stuff going via Dover or the Tunnel. Similar queues coming the other way, too, for our customs inspections. Serious problems for perishables and just-in-time supply networks.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Brexit for simpletons. on 20:30 - Nov 25 with 2440 viewsBinner

My brother-in-law will build his new factory in Denmark rather than Suffolk.

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

Brexit for simpletons. on 21:10 - Nov 25 with 2419 viewshomer_123

Brexit for simpletons. on 20:30 - Nov 25 by Binner

My brother-in-law will build his new factory in Denmark rather than Suffolk.

Is that the same Denmark that has also voted to leave the EU?

Edit: Maastricht, riots, 11 dead and their continuing sceptical views on the EU. I won't edit the above, happy to leave as is and acknowledge I needed to clarify what I meant.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2018 23:10]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Brexit for simpletons. on 21:33 - Nov 25 with 2403 viewsClapham_Junction

Brexit for simpletons. on 19:07 - Nov 25 by Burwell_Blue

No I didn’t vote. In fact, I’ve never voted.

Yet you've previously stated that you did.

Possible bad news regarding Airbus by Burwell_Blue 22 Jun 2018 10:23
Sigh. If only the government had heeded the warnings that were given, then I and many others would have voted remain instead of using our vote as a chance to sulk and show our displeasure.

What is it about Brexiteers claiming they voted remain (a la Pickles) or didn't vote at all
Brexit for simpletons. on 21:40 - Nov 25 with 2393 viewsm14_blue

Brexit for simpletons. on 21:33 - Nov 25 by Clapham_Junction

Sigh. If only the government had heeded the warnings that were given, then I and many others would have voted remain instead of using our vote as a chance to sulk and show our displeasure.

What is it about Brexiteers claiming they voted remain (a la Pickles) or didn't vote at all

I’ve noticed that a lot. People claiming they voted remain but now support leave because the EU have been so mean.

Of course you did mate.
Brexit for simpletons. on 21:48 - Nov 25 with 2383 viewsSpruceMoose

Despite it all, I don't think you deserve the death penalty.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Brexit for simpletons. on 22:31 - Nov 25 with 2346 viewsHerbivore

Brexit for simpletons. on 21:10 - Nov 25 by homer_123

Edit: Maastricht, riots, 11 dead and their continuing sceptical views on the EU. I won't edit the above, happy to leave as is and acknowledge I needed to clarify what I meant.

When did Denmark vote to leave the EU?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Brexit for simpletons. on 23:03 - Nov 25 with 2306 viewsBinner

I mean the Denmark which largely comprises of the Jutland peninsula and several islands.

Didn't know they'd voted to leave the EU. Are you sure about that?

Brexit for simpletons. on 23:03 - Nov 25 with 2305 viewshomer_123

Brexit for simpletons. on 22:31 - Nov 25 by Herbivore

When did Denmark vote to leave the EU?

Rejected Maastricht then a year later voted to accept. 11 killed in riots that followed.

Denmark is probably as EU sceptic as the UK...odd place to open a factory if you are worried about leaving the EU.

Brexit for simpletons. on 23:05 - Nov 25 with 2298 viewshomer_123

Brexit for simpletons. on 23:03 - Nov 25 by Binner

I mean the Denmark which largely comprises of the Jutland peninsula and several islands.

Didn't know they'd voted to leave the EU. Are you sure about that?

I was referring to Maastricht....and the fact they are as EU sceptical as we are....seems an odd place to go to if you fear leaving the EU.

Brexit for simpletons. on 23:06 - Nov 25 with 2294 viewsHerbivore

Brexit for simpletons. on 23:03 - Nov 25 by homer_123

Rejected Maastricht then a year later voted to accept. 11 killed in riots that followed.

Denmark is probably as EU sceptic as the UK...odd place to open a factory if you are worried about leaving the EU.

That's not the same as voting to leave the EU. They remain EU members and have no plans to leave.

Brexit for simpletons. on 23:08 - Nov 25 with 2283 viewshomer_123

Brexit for simpletons. on 23:06 - Nov 25 by Herbivore

That's not the same as voting to leave the EU. They remain EU members and have no plans to leave.

No immediate plans to leave but they are heavily sceptical. My point remains, if you worried about leaving the EU, it's the one country you are unlikely to open a factory in.

Brexit for simpletons. on 23:09 - Nov 25 with 2278 viewsHerbivore

Brexit for simpletons. on 23:08 - Nov 25 by homer_123

No immediate plans to leave but they are heavily sceptical. My point remains, if you worried about leaving the EU, it's the one country you are unlikely to open a factory in.

I think the shambles that is Brexit will likely deter them from leaving. Like the UK they have certain opt outs anyway and that seems to work for them.

Brexit for simpletons. on 23:11 - Nov 25 with 2273 viewshomer_123

Brexit for simpletons. on 23:09 - Nov 25 by Herbivore

I think the shambles that is Brexit will likely deter them from leaving. Like the UK they have certain opt outs anyway and that seems to work for them.

Yet, seems an odd choice to open a factory there given their history and views and if, as said factory owner, you are worried about leaving the EU.

Brexit for simpletons. on 23:27 - Nov 25 with 2257 viewsBinner

Brexit for simpletons. on 23:11 - Nov 25 by homer_123

Yet, seems an odd choice to open a factory there given their history and views and if, as said factory owner, you are worried about leaving the EU.

It is his biggest market after UK. And leaving EU wouldn't necessarily mean leaving the single market whereas, if UK stays in the single market following Brexit, the swivel-eyed among us will continue to poison the whole debate and uncertainty will continue.

Brexit for simpletons. on 06:45 - Nov 26 with 2147 viewsmonytowbray

Why do you need the death penalty and peope on benefits working for such a right? Like wanting it I can almost understand but “need” is a strong word? Are you a currently out-of-work executioner?

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Brexit for simpletons. on 07:03 - Nov 26 with 2128 viewsBrixtonBlue

Brexit for simpletons. on 21:33 - Nov 25 by Clapham_Junction

Haha, BOOM!

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Brexit for simpletons. on 07:04 - Nov 26 with 2128 viewsBrixtonBlue

Brexit for simpletons. on 19:08 - Nov 25 by Burwell_Blue

It’s something I’m in favour of, not everyone would agree I’m sure but it provides a little backdrop as to my political leanings.

"I have zero interest in politics"

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Brexit for simpletons. on 07:10 - Nov 26 with 2127 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Brexit for simpletons. on 18:41 - Nov 25 by Burwell_Blue

Why though? Say we make eggs, can we not just open them up to the highest bidder for eggs?

Chickens make eggs......it's a terrible plan!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Brexit for simpletons. on 07:38 - Nov 26 with 2105 viewsDeano69

It’s a bit like thinking relegation for Town is a great idea.

We might smash league one, win the league with 100 points and 100 goals, playing with confidence and new found energy we win a championship play off final and return to our rightful place.

Or

Because of continued lack of investment, poor decisions and flagging interest we tumble to league one, fail to make an impact, become isolated and established in the third tier awaiting a miracle or messiah to rescue us from a poor situation.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Brexit for simpletons. on 08:12 - Nov 26 with 2085 viewslowhouseblue

haven't you left 'is' out of the thread title?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Brexit for simpletons. on 08:53 - Nov 26 with 2048 viewsBrixtonBlue

Brexit for simpletons. on 07:38 - Nov 26 by Deano69

It’s a bit like thinking relegation for Town is a great idea.

We might smash league one, win the league with 100 points and 100 goals, playing with confidence and new found energy we win a championship play off final and return to our rightful place.

Or

Because of continued lack of investment, poor decisions and flagging interest we tumble to league one, fail to make an impact, become isolated and established in the third tier awaiting a miracle or messiah to rescue us from a poor situation.

Who has said, "relegation for Town is a great idea"?

Brexit for simpletons. on 09:03 - Nov 26 with 2042 viewsDeano69

Brexit for simpletons. on 08:53 - Nov 26 by BrixtonBlue

Who has said, "relegation for Town is a great idea"?

Several on here over the past few weeks.

‘The reboot we need’ apparently

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Brexit for simpletons. on 09:03 - Nov 26 with 2042 viewsNo9

Is you version correct?
Denmark with the UK & Ireland joined the EU in '73-

Then-
"After Danish voters rejected the Maastricht Treaty in a 1992 referendum, the Edinburgh Agreement that was reached granted four exceptions to Denmark, one of which concerning Justice and Home Affairs. The Danish people subsequently approved the Maastricht Treaty in a 1993 referendum."
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024