Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Asbestos 08:52 - Nov 27 with 2694 viewsGeoffSentence

My mother died from an asbestos related disease so I am fully aware of how pernicious this stuff is. But I have professional asbestos removers in today, replacing the asbestos concrete roof on my garage and the extent of the protection that they are using is gloves. I was expecting them to be fully kitted out like the hazchem guys who were searching Salisbury for more evidence of novichuck.

They tell me that the panels are only 4% asbestos so they don't worry about it.

I am not sure whether to be concerned that they are not treating it sufficiently seriously, or re-assured that I wasn't taking my life in my hands every time I entered the garage.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Asbestos on 09:11 - Nov 27 with 2657 viewsGuthrum

With the encapsulated stuff used in roofing, it's pretty safe as long as they can unscrew the panels without cutting, breaking or drilling them. Working in the open air helps, too.

The friend of mine who died as a result of asbestosis was an electrician who had spent his working life drilling into old fuseboxes in confined spaces with no mask.

Personally, I would still wear a mask (as I do when dealing with possibly asbestos-laced old artex on ceilings), just to be on the safe side.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Asbestos on 09:11 - Nov 27 with 2652 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I found an asbestos pipe in my garden. I recognised what it was so I didn't go near it.

I had an asbestos contractor come and test it, and it was low risk. When they came to remove it they wore the full kit, gloves, suit and mask.

It was £250 just to remove a pipe that had been laid on the earth, but I'd rather be safe.

To me it sounds like your guys are not taking enough precaution. Are they professionals?

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Asbestos on 09:16 - Nov 27 with 2630 viewsGeoffSentence

Asbestos on 09:11 - Nov 27 by Marshalls_Mullet

I found an asbestos pipe in my garden. I recognised what it was so I didn't go near it.

I had an asbestos contractor come and test it, and it was low risk. When they came to remove it they wore the full kit, gloves, suit and mask.

It was £250 just to remove a pipe that had been laid on the earth, but I'd rather be safe.

To me it sounds like your guys are not taking enough precaution. Are they professionals?

Yes, they are professionals. Removing asbestos garage roofs is what they do. I guess they must be confident given that the panels are low risk, they only have to unbolt them and lift them off whole, and they are actually a bit damp from last night's rain which would help.

Nevertheless, if it was me, I'd at least have a mask on.

Asbestos on 09:18 - Nov 27 with 2626 viewsitfcjoe

Silly really from them - they should be wearing a (cheap) disposable body suit and a mask. It's just lazy not to and totally not needed.

Guys on site don't take health and safety as seriously as they should - I have tp spend hours in the office setting up method statements, risk assessments, plans, etc and ensure they all have PPE and you go to site and they don't have dust masks on when cutting bricks etc and dust everywhere.

It's for their own good, but still a bit of a macho culture exists so they don't like to be seen as a wimp I guess.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Asbestos on 09:19 - Nov 27 with 2618 viewsGeoffSentence

Asbestos on 09:11 - Nov 27 by Guthrum

With the encapsulated stuff used in roofing, it's pretty safe as long as they can unscrew the panels without cutting, breaking or drilling them. Working in the open air helps, too.

The friend of mine who died as a result of asbestosis was an electrician who had spent his working life drilling into old fuseboxes in confined spaces with no mask.

Personally, I would still wear a mask (as I do when dealing with possibly asbestos-laced old artex on ceilings), just to be on the safe side.

Sorry to hear about your friend.

The whole asbestos saga is shocking. The dangers were identified in the 1920s yet its use was not banned in this country until 1985. It's another case of the interests of business being put ahead of ordinary people.

Asbestos on 09:31 - Nov 27 with 2587 viewsGuthrum

Asbestos on 09:19 - Nov 27 by GeoffSentence

Sorry to hear about your friend.

The whole asbestos saga is shocking. The dangers were identified in the 1920s yet its use was not banned in this country until 1985. It's another case of the interests of business being put ahead of ordinary people.

Sorry to hear about your mother, too.

Another friend, a builder, spent most of the '70s smashing up asbestos rooves. He is now in his nineties. However, the blokes he worked with are all dead. Despite the dangers not being well publicised back then, he had this sneaking suspicion the dust was not good, so used to tie a cloth over his mouth and nose. Probably saved his life.

Asbestos on 09:33 - Nov 27 with 2585 viewsDeano69

There is many sorts of asbestos and the sheets are nothing like the horrible pipe lagging. Confined space is another big factor too.

Gloves, masks and goggles are are minimum I would have thought even with sheets.

Asbestos is in many things including Artex, plaster/board and we all used it in chemistry at school. Seem mad now you think about it.

Sorry to hear about your mother, the lack of understanding about the ‘wonder’ fireproof material has taken its fair share of lives sadly. My dad was a roofer and used sheets everyday for soffits and eaves etc cutting it with saws, Stanley knives and the like. Gladly he shows no signs of related issues from this (many others from a tough job).

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Asbestos on 09:34 - Nov 27 with 2580 viewsGuthrum

Asbestos on 09:16 - Nov 27 by GeoffSentence

Yes, they are professionals. Removing asbestos garage roofs is what they do. I guess they must be confident given that the panels are low risk, they only have to unbolt them and lift them off whole, and they are actually a bit damp from last night's rain which would help.

Nevertheless, if it was me, I'd at least have a mask on.

The problem comes if the bolts are rusty and cannot be unscrewed. Then you're having to resort to an angle grinder or drill, which gets risky.

Login to get fewer ads

Asbestos on 09:43 - Nov 27 with 2564 viewsGeoffSentence

Asbestos on 09:34 - Nov 27 by Guthrum

The problem comes if the bolts are rusty and cannot be unscrewed. Then you're having to resort to an angle grinder or drill, which gets risky.

It only took them abut 10 minutes to lift the panels off. Didn't see if they used an angle grinder for the bolts but they did look rusty to me.

Asbestos on 09:46 - Nov 27 with 2553 viewsGeoffSentence

Asbestos on 09:31 - Nov 27 by Guthrum

Another friend, a builder, spent most of the '70s smashing up asbestos rooves. He is now in his nineties. However, the blokes he worked with are all dead. Despite the dangers not being well publicised back then, he had this sneaking suspicion the dust was not good, so used to tie a cloth over his mouth and nose. Probably saved his life.

It's funny how some people are less susceptible to ill effects than others. One of our neighbours is well into his nineties, healthy as you like, always outside gardening or walking his dog. But he smokes constantly, you never see him without a ciggie.

Asbestos on 09:49 - Nov 27 with 2549 viewshampstead_blue

My father died of an asbestos related illness. It's awful.

We had £6k worth of work done on a demolition job for a development we are doing. The area was sealed like a drum.

It was like NBC training when I was a soldier. They bought in a shower unit the lot.

Providing the firm is regulated and knows their stuff I'd trust them. No point in taking any risk. We paid for the best firm we could find locally. Well worth it.

The building we demolished was from the 60's and had a load of tiles with asbestos sealed into the fabric. The demolition guys removed them. No protective gear. Apparently the low level stuff is sealed within a solid unit and is a low %. They said it was very low risk.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Asbestos on 12:17 - Nov 27 with 2425 viewsGeoffSentence

Asbestos on 09:31 - Nov 27 by Guthrum

One of the blokes doing my garage has been working on these since he was 21 and he is 70 in a few weeks time. SO whatever he is doing, it doesn't seem to have harmed him, yet.

Asbestos on 11:25 - Nov 28 with 2292 viewsSoleBayBlue

We had similar when our old asbestos garage was dismantled, I couldn't believe how laid back they were!
Asbestos on 12:19 - Nov 28 with 2240 viewsBinner

Asbestos on 09:49 - Nov 27 by hampstead_blue

My father died of an asbestos related illness. It's awful.

We had £6k worth of work done on a demolition job for a development we are doing. The area was sealed like a drum.

It was like NBC training when I was a soldier. They bought in a shower unit the lot.

Providing the firm is regulated and knows their stuff I'd trust them. No point in taking any risk. We paid for the best firm we could find locally. Well worth it.

The building we demolished was from the 60's and had a load of tiles with asbestos sealed into the fabric. The demolition guys removed them. No protective gear. Apparently the low level stuff is sealed within a solid unit and is a low %. They said it was very low risk.

My granddad died of mesothelioma of the lungs in 1970, aged 70. He had worked in an asbestos factory in the late 1920s to early 30s. He suffered badly in his last years barely able to draw breath or perform the lightest task.

He would sometimes bring pieces of asbestos home for the children, including my dad, to play with. At that time no-one had realised the dangers of exposure to the stuff. Dad is now 94 and has led a full active life and has clearly not suffered at all from asbestosis.
[Post edited 28 Nov 2018 15:49]

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

Asbestos on 13:25 - Nov 28 with 2175 viewsGeoffSentence

Asbestos on 12:19 - Nov 28 by Binner

My granddad died of mesothelioma of the lungs in 1970, aged 70. He had worked in an asbestos factory in the late 1920s to early 30s. He suffered badly in his last years barely able to draw breath or perform the lightest task.

He would sometimes bring pieces of asbestos home for the children, including my dad, to play with. At that time no-one had realised the dangers of exposure to the stuff. Dad is now 94 and has led a full active life and has clearly not suffered at all from asbestosis.
[Post edited 28 Nov 2018 15:49]

The dangers of asbestos were first noted at the end of the 19th Century and widely established in the 1920's and 1930's with the first legislation relating to working with asbestos was in 1934. So the dangers were well known to people in responsible positions, though not so to the normal working people who were in danger from the stuff. That it took another 50 years to ban the stuff in the UK is scandalous.

Asbestos on 13:33 - Nov 28 with 2156 viewsWD19

Seems a bit odd. When the chaps did that for me on a shed a few months back they were fully kitted out in red protective suits.
Asbestos on 13:41 - Nov 28 with 2134 viewslowhouseblue

definitely low risk if undamaged but treat with caution.

out of interest what sort of price are they charging to take it down and dispose of it?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Asbestos on 13:50 - Nov 28 with 2106 viewsbluejake78

My father died early of asbestos contact.He was a radar operator in the Navy just after the war and into the Palestine conflict. The pipes around him were apparently lagged with the stuff.
Watching a strong,powerful man die a horrid death was awful.
Imagine not being able to take a breath.
Asbestosis has probably killed many where postmortems haven't been carried out.
Asbestos on 13:56 - Nov 28 with 2086 viewsGeoffSentence

Asbestos on 13:41 - Nov 28 by lowhouseblue

definitely low risk if undamaged but treat with caution.

out of interest what sort of price are they charging to take it down and dispose of it?

To remove the asbestos roof, replace it with a steel one , replace the garage door, replace the personal door and a window and do all the assorted niceties like guttering, was a fraction under £3800.

Asbestos on 14:20 - Nov 28 with 2054 viewslowhouseblue

Asbestos on 13:56 - Nov 28 by GeoffSentence

To remove the asbestos roof, replace it with a steel one , replace the garage door, replace the personal door and a window and do all the assorted niceties like guttering, was a fraction under £3800.

cheers.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024