Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
That was the biggest kick in the teeth all season 02:43 - Nov 29 with 2498 viewsWarkystache

In front of a sparse crowd, on a wet night, with a whimper after we'd given ourselves every chance.

For those lucky enough to be watching the Apprentice or something somewhere dry and not bothering with the 'red button', this felt like the loss that finally spelled 'League One' in fluorescent neon capitals across a dark Ipswich night. The fact it started so agreeably only served to make the numbing disappointment at the end so stark.

Truth is, we're the worst team in the league. With the exception of a few, the players knew it and heads dropped when Brizzle waltzed past our static defending to notch the third. In fact, Chambers, Pennington et al rolled out the red f*cking carpet for them with marking so inept, you thought we'd extended 'free ticket' worthiness to 'come and have a game for the Town' to the less fortunate in Ipswich.

The less said about Spence, the better. I certainly said enough about him at the game. Perhaps he should change his first name to 'F*cking' by deed poll?

Bart looked nervy, as well he should when alarming gaps opened for a bang average City side to gleefully exploit. Pennington reminded me of Linighan from the early 90's, same ruddy blonde mush, same awkward postures as though he's been animated by the makers of Bagpuss. Chambers looked uncomfortable covering Spence's forays up field, marked mainly by weak as vvank crosses or little flicks to the blind alley runs of Edwards.

Downes takes corners like he's been asked to put the ball in with his knob. His dead-ball kicking was worse than Bart's, and even less accurate than a Gus Uhlenbeek cross. Knudsen looks like a moody, spotty PS4 addict asked to come down and have his tea with his family. He got caught out so often it was almost expected.

Freddie played like he cared and it hurt, which, given the way he's been treated since he came here, was a huge credit to him. His first, a mazy run past practically all the Brizzle backline, brought joy unconfined. His second, a decent shot from yet another failing routine, was sublime.

Chalobah, meh. Does some stuff very well, does others badly, looks like what he is, a young lad with promise who is getting regular games and learning his craft. Handy when you have the luxury of affording this, less so when you really need 'nasty' players who can mix it up and leave the opposition bruised and chasing. His attempted through balls were a nice idea badly executed. The word 'nearly' was written for him. Whether we can afford that now is questionable.

Skusey - the great interceptor. Was forced by others inefficiencies to do too much, which diluted his attributes. Edwards ran a lot, produced a bit, looked one-dimensional and was subbed to little fanfare. Roberts' role seemed to be to look a bit like a Poundland Mo Salah and wind up their bench and their team with late challenges. People behind me wanted him subbed before he got sent off. I doubt we'd have noticed much if he had. He's paceless, he can't shoot, he's easily brushed off the ball. Let's try him up front. I bet Crawley couldn't believe their luck when we came a-knocking. Even free, he's expensive.

Jackson and Harrison are lower league strikers. In an era when most Championship clubs tend to spend money on talent, we've overpaid by about £2.5 million for both. Jackson is quick, true, but then so's next door's pointers, and they'd be equally as ineffective up front unless the ball actually hit them. Harrison is coming back from injury so it's unfair to judge yet, but he only looks like Johnno at the moment.

So, so disappointing. Or is it? A Blow upon a Bruise perhaps? It's not looking good, either way. Thanks Marcus. That cheeseparing, fawning adherence to an FFP that practically everyone else in this league ignored, and have seemingly escaped punishment for, has really served us well.

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

That was the biggest kick in the teeth all season on 03:26 - Nov 29 with 2426 viewsJ2BLUE

‘this felt like the loss that finally spelled 'League One' in fluorescent neon capitals across a dark Ipswich night’

So true. I have been utterly convinced that we will comfortably stay up in the end but tonight has really cut through my delusion. We are an extremely poor side. Even Bart looks less than convincing to put it very politely. I still think we will do just enough business in January to survive by the skin of our teeth but Lambert must be wondering what the hell he has signed up to. Something has got to give. Hopefully Evans cuts his losses and sells up with the debt written off. Sadly I think it’s more likely he will withdraw his funding and let us fall to whatever level we could be self sufficient.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

That was the biggest kick in the teeth all season on 03:59 - Nov 29 with 2405 viewstextbackup

That was the biggest kick in the teeth all season on 03:26 - Nov 29 by J2BLUE

‘this felt like the loss that finally spelled 'League One' in fluorescent neon capitals across a dark Ipswich night’

So true. I have been utterly convinced that we will comfortably stay up in the end but tonight has really cut through my delusion. We are an extremely poor side. Even Bart looks less than convincing to put it very politely. I still think we will do just enough business in January to survive by the skin of our teeth but Lambert must be wondering what the hell he has signed up to. Something has got to give. Hopefully Evans cuts his losses and sells up with the debt written off. Sadly I think it’s more likely he will withdraw his funding and let us fall to whatever level we could be self sufficient.

to stay up we need a min 5 championship quality players, just isn't going to happen.

we'll go down, further cuts, academy will go, training round sold off to get back a few quid, and we become the new coventry

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

That was the biggest kick in the teeth all season on 08:47 - Nov 29 with 2112 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Love your description of Chalobah. That is exactly how I feel about him.

Haven’t read a post in ages where I’ve agreed with so much

Poll: Our final position

That was the biggest kick in the teeth all season on 09:00 - Nov 29 with 2066 viewsernie

Fantastic description of Pennington. The way he turns to face the ball flighted over his head , with his feet still facing in the wrong direction, looks exactly like Linighan- or a cart horse. He is quite simply the sort of loanee we got under Hurst but wouldn’t have under MM
That was the biggest kick in the teeth all season on 09:16 - Nov 29 with 2013 viewsKeaneish

Only thing i disagree on is Skuse. I was a big critic of him under MM but now he's stepping up to the plat and becoming the complete midfielder his ability warrants. Our first goal was a perfect example. Changing the direction and switching the play to put Freddie on a run. Class. I want to see more of that from him all season - its the only thing we have in midfield other than hard work until Huws or Bishop are up to full speed.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

That was the biggest kick in the teeth all season on 13:55 - Nov 29 with 1872 viewsstrikalite

That first half corner by Downes has to be the worst corner EVER taken at PR, if/when we go down that should be the first of many utter crapness awards given out...
That was the biggest kick in the teeth all season on 19:23 - Nov 29 with 1732 viewscbower

Perhaps the most accurate and eloquent example of any scathing report I have ever read. Fantastic👌

bluescouser

That was the biggest kick in the teeth all season on 20:45 - Nov 29 with 1587 viewsgood_at_COD

Even free, he’s expensive....Poundland Mo Salah....your musings help to bring a smile to my face, which isn’t easy after what I had to sit through last night.
To dig into the cliche bank, the honeymoon is over for Lambert and unlike many on here I’m not sure he is really up to the task. I know he is weighed down, or downright handicapped, by what Hurst left behind but I’m not buying everything he said after the game. Happy with the football we’re playing? I don’t get that and as for his touchline antics they are becoming downright embarrassing. He behaved similarly at Stoke last season and was found wanting and it’s an action replay we are witnessing here. Most fans still seem onside with him and there’s even a lot of sympathy from some, but I wouldn’t feel too sorry for him. Yes, he knew what he was signing up to alright, a lengthy contract on good money and a nice wedge if he gets the sack. It’s laughable the way it works in football. He’s won over a lot with his positive PR and going overboard with his look-how-much-it-means-to-me behaviour during games but that will soon wear off and I could sense last night that a lot of people’s views are changing. Remarkably, having looked at the league table, I believe there may still be a glimmer of hope. We’re the worst side by six points but those on 17 aren’t too far behind and if we can make a few astute signings in January you never know. Or do we and we’re just not admitting it yet?

Giggsy

Login to get fewer ads

That was the biggest kick in the teeth all season on 20:53 - Nov 29 with 1549 viewsStenvict

That's all well and good, but how's Tel?

Poll: What will be announced first?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024