Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mick, coaching and the defence... 10:57 - Nov 29 with 2831 viewsBluesquid

An important part of a managers job is coaching and developing players so they can improve their game.
Telling the defenders to lump it high and long isn't coaching and with all those years under Mick none of them have actually improved as players and now we are paying the price for it.

Mick was an international defender but yet he utterly failed to improve the defence and the way they perform.
We are defending the same way now as we did under Mick but now we haven't got Murphy, Waghorn, Garner, Didsy or Lawrence to score the goals.

It had been left to Hurst and now Lambert to coach and improve the defenders to get them to play the right way - on the deck, pass out and at the same time to defend properly.

It's all very well telling the defenders to lump it forward but at what cost?
Unfortunately it's at the cost of improving and developing players and that is where we are now imo but fwiw i think Lamberts coaching will succeed and that he will actually improve the defence and thus make them better players.
Mick, coaching and the defence... on 10:59 - Nov 29 with 2305 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I think we just need to leave Mick in the past.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Mick, coaching and the defence... on 10:59 - Nov 29 with 2304 viewsGluedtoBlue

Still trying to blame Mick? Jesus wept.

Poll: Who do you hate the most?

Mick, coaching and the defence... on 11:04 - Nov 29 with 2292 viewsSteve_M

Were we conceding two goals per game every match last season then?

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Mick, coaching and the defence... on 11:12 - Nov 29 with 2271 viewsRyorry

Mick, coaching and the defence... on 11:04 - Nov 29 by Steve_M

We weren't exactly defensively solid under MM tho were we, something that always puzzled me given that it was supposed to be his forte. How many dozens of times did we rely on Bart to save us?

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Mick, coaching and the defence... on 11:21 - Nov 29 with 2226 viewsBluesquid

Lambert is trying to get the defence to play the right way and it's tough going as they are so ingrained with Micks lump it high and long "coaching".

None of the defenders actually improved their game under Mick, they just stagnated at the cost of their own personal development.
Mick, coaching and the defence... on 11:29 - Nov 29 with 2201 viewsBrianTablet

Mick, coaching and the defence... on 11:12 - Nov 29 by Ryorry

We weren't exactly defensively solid under MM tho were we, something that always puzzled me given that it was supposed to be his forte. How many dozens of times did we rely on Bart to save us?

even with three defensive midfielders

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

Mick, coaching and the defence... on 11:32 - Nov 29 with 2189 viewsitfcjoe

How can Mick be blamed for what is going on now? Get over it

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Mick, coaching and the defence... on 11:33 - Nov 29 with 2186 viewsCoastalblue

Doesn't really matter who's fault it is now, personally I blame Bobby Ferguson, we are what we are and have to use what we have in the best way short term.
Longer term we can start worrying about improving players, right now we just need them to start doing the basic.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Login to get fewer ads

Mick, coaching and the defence... on 11:34 - Nov 29 with 2176 viewsFrimleyBlue

What's with all the posts about the defence and playing out. I thought we did it quite well last night. But slowly our midfield stopped dropping to get the ball.

The goals we conceded weren't caused by defenders playing the ball out. It was the fullbacks allowing crosses again and Pennington in no mans land for 2 of the goals.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Mick, coaching and the defence... on 11:43 - Nov 29 with 2148 viewsBluesquid

Mick, coaching and the defence... on 11:34 - Nov 29 by FrimleyBlue

What's with all the posts about the defence and playing out. I thought we did it quite well last night. But slowly our midfield stopped dropping to get the ball.

The goals we conceded weren't caused by defenders playing the ball out. It was the fullbacks allowing crosses again and Pennington in no mans land for 2 of the goals.

I didn't say the goals were due to us playing it out.

We don't do the basics of defending like blocking crosses, shots etc but we weren't doing the basics under Mick either, it's just that we had goal scorers back then that saved our bacon.

Now Lamberts got a chance to do something that Mick failed at.
To get the players to improve their own game, carry out the basics of defending and become better players for it.
Mick, coaching and the defence... on 11:53 - Nov 29 with 2118 viewsNo9

Remember last season Town lost more games than they won and conceded more games than they scored
Conceded 60 - in the league
So NOT that good
Mick, coaching and the defence... on 11:58 - Nov 29 with 2100 viewsitfcjoe

Mick, coaching and the defence... on 11:43 - Nov 29 by Bluesquid

I didn't say the goals were due to us playing it out.

We don't do the basics of defending like blocking crosses, shots etc but we weren't doing the basics under Mick either, it's just that we had goal scorers back then that saved our bacon.

Now Lamberts got a chance to do something that Mick failed at.
To get the players to improve their own game, carry out the basics of defending and become better players for it.

Revisionist nonsense - we never conceded more than 60 goals in a season under Mick, whereas we are on track (33 in 19 games) to concede 80 goals this season.

If we weren't doing the basics of defending under Mick how did we have a much better defensive record.

We did the basics at the expense of playing out etc, but we were never an absolute soft touch like we are currently

Mick, coaching and the defence... on 12:01 - Nov 29 with 2088 viewsSuperfrans

The fans need educating too. The number of times I heard people around me shouting "lump it" every time Chambers, Pennington etc got the ball last night. I know it's nerve-wracking at times, but they need to get used to a different style of play.

And the goals against us aren't coming from an apparent inability to pass out from the back, they're coming from wide balls, as Lambert said last night.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Mick, coaching and the defence... on 12:04 - Nov 29 with 2078 viewsSuperfrans

Mick, coaching and the defence... on 11:12 - Nov 29 by Ryorry

It is true that, whatever the deficiencies in our team, we would have won that game last season. And the season before. Bart would never have made those mistakes.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Mick, coaching and the defence... on 12:08 - Nov 29 with 2063 viewsSteve_M

Mick, coaching and the defence... on 11:53 - Nov 29 by No9

Remember last season Town lost more games than they won and conceded more games than they scored
Conceded 60 - in the league
So NOT that good

A goal difference of -3 is positively halcyon compared to where we will end up this year.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Mick, coaching and the defence... on 12:19 - Nov 29 with 2041 viewsBluesquid

Mick, coaching and the defence... on 11:58 - Nov 29 by itfcjoe

Revisionist nonsense - we never conceded more than 60 goals in a season under Mick, whereas we are on track (33 in 19 games) to concede 80 goals this season.

If we weren't doing the basics of defending under Mick how did we have a much better defensive record.

We did the basics at the expense of playing out etc, but we were never an absolute soft touch like we are currently

"If we weren't doing the basics of defending under Mick how did we have a much better defensive record."

Because we have a much weaker squad overall in other areas due to departures/poor signings and the defenders are now under even more pressure than before.

"We did the basics at the expense of playing out etc, but we were never an absolute soft touch like we are currently"

I don't know where you've been but we absolutely did not get the basics of defending right under McCarthy.

Micks tactics were as follows -

When on the front foot - lump it high and long

When on the back foot - stand off, back off, stand off a bit more, back off a bit more and then low and behold the cross/shot came in.
[Post edited 29 Nov 2018 12:23]
Mick, coaching and the defence... on 12:23 - Nov 29 with 2023 viewsitfcjoe

Mick, coaching and the defence... on 12:19 - Nov 29 by Bluesquid

"If we weren't doing the basics of defending under Mick how did we have a much better defensive record."

Because we have a much weaker squad overall in other areas due to departures/poor signings and the defenders are now under even more pressure than before.

"We did the basics at the expense of playing out etc, but we were never an absolute soft touch like we are currently"

I don't know where you've been but we absolutely did not get the basics of defending right under McCarthy.

Micks tactics were as follows -

When on the front foot - lump it high and long

When on the back foot - stand off, back off, stand off a bit more, back off a bit more and then low and behold the cross/shot came in.
[Post edited 29 Nov 2018 12:23]

Sorry, you are just wrong on this one.

Under Mick we would always get our shape right when we lost the ball, and when we won it back would look to get it away from our goal by playing a percentage ball - they are the absolute basics which we did.

You don't have a decent defensive record if your approach is to just back off and let shots and crosses rain in - it's just ludicrous to suggest so

Mick, coaching and the defence... on 12:32 - Nov 29 with 1992 viewsBluesquid

Mick, coaching and the defence... on 12:23 - Nov 29 by itfcjoe

Sorry, you are just wrong on this one.

Under Mick we would always get our shape right when we lost the ball, and when we won it back would look to get it away from our goal by playing a percentage ball - they are the absolute basics which we did.

You don't have a decent defensive record if your approach is to just back off and let shots and crosses rain in - it's just ludicrous to suggest so

Week after week of conceding sloppy goals and players not marking, crosses/shots not being blocked with Micks tactics of back off/stand off/back off and you actually believe that we, under McCarthy, actually got the basics of defending right.

Arf!
Mick, coaching and the defence... on 12:36 - Nov 29 with 1976 viewsitfcjoe

Mick, coaching and the defence... on 12:32 - Nov 29 by Bluesquid

Week after week of conceding sloppy goals and players not marking, crosses/shots not being blocked with Micks tactics of back off/stand off/back off and you actually believe that we, under McCarthy, actually got the basics of defending right.

Arf!

335 goals conceded in 278 games at an average of 55 a season.

Achieved by conceding sloppy goals, not marking, not blocking crosses and shots, backing off and standing off.

Arf!

Mick, coaching and the defence... on 12:40 - Nov 29 with 1954 viewsReuser_is_God

Mick, coaching and the defence... on 12:36 - Nov 29 by itfcjoe

335 goals conceded in 278 games at an average of 55 a season.

Achieved by conceding sloppy goals, not marking, not blocking crosses and shots, backing off and standing off.

Arf!

We did concede sloppy goals under Mick.

The problem now is that we just concede even more.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Mick, coaching and the defence... on 12:41 - Nov 29 with 1946 viewsEly_Blue

Mick, coaching and the defence... on 11:34 - Nov 29 by FrimleyBlue

I disagree, the reason our midfield “stopped dropping to get the ball” was because by the end of the game there was little in the way of midfield left!

The biggest problem last night was BC dropped deep and strangled the life out of the game and we never had a player who could pick/see the quick pass to Jackson

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Mick, coaching and the defence... on 12:41 - Nov 29 with 1947 viewsitfcjoe

Mick, coaching and the defence... on 12:40 - Nov 29 by Reuser_is_God

Every goal is sloppy to an extent if being ultra critical - but we generally did the basics right under Mick

Mick, coaching and the defence... on 12:43 - Nov 29 with 1935 viewsBluesquid

Mick, coaching and the defence... on 12:40 - Nov 29 by Reuser_is_God

Yeah and i put that down to having a much weaker squad overall due to departures/poor signings and thus the defenders are under even more pressure.
Mick, coaching and the defence... on 12:45 - Nov 29 with 1920 viewsPJH

Mick, coaching and the defence... on 12:43 - Nov 29 by Bluesquid

Yeah and i put that down to having a much weaker squad overall due to departures/poor signings and thus the defenders are under even more pressure.

Hurst's fault then.
Mick, coaching and the defence... on 12:46 - Nov 29 with 1914 viewsBluesquid

Mick, coaching and the defence... on 12:45 - Nov 29 by PJH

Hurst's fault then.

lol
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024