Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chambers - tough call 15:15 - Nov 29 with 6159 viewsOsborneOneNil

Chambers is our skipper, our leader, has blue blood, and simply cannot be dropped.

Can't he?

I think this is an interesting one because, let's be honest, he's been pretty poor for a few games now and isn't exactly holding the fort. Granted, he has poor support as both full backs are not performing with Spence, in particular, shocking. Bart, behind him is massively out of form too. But, Chambers has also been well below the standard required.

So, can he not be dropped? Why not, can't be worse, the defending is at rock bottom.

Chambers - tough call on 15:21 - Nov 29 with 6133 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Think the triangle of Chambers/Pennington and Skuse have been decent. Goalkeeper, Two full backs and two central midfielders that haven't really been good enough over the last couple of games.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Chambers - tough call on 15:40 - Nov 29 with 6083 viewsSmithy

Chambers hasn't been great but I don't think he's been poor either just bang average really

37 years and counting!
Poll: We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most?

Chambers - tough call on 15:41 - Nov 29 with 6079 viewsSwansea_Blue

Why not? Because he's the best of the bunch probably.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Chambers - tough call on 15:46 - Nov 29 with 6072 viewsVic

I just spent 5 minutes pouring over the goals last night. What struck me, apart from the crosses coming in, was Pennington's poor positioning for the 2nd and 3rd goals.

For the 2nd he was completely ball watching, and went towards our line leaving his man who was then free to side foot it into the net.

For the 3rd he got wrong side of his man who then stepped forward and Pennington stumbles as he presumably tried to back peddle. Again the BC forward was left with a simple header.

Small margins, but generally pretty poor defending. He's better than this; it's almost like they are trying to hard instead of doing what comes naturally. But thats lack of confidence for you isn;t it.

PS - what a wonderful goal Freddie's first one was - good enough to grace any game. Superb ball from Skuse, taken by Freddie on his thigh on the run and surging on to slot hom. best ITFC goal I've seen for a good long while.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Chambers - tough call on 15:57 - Nov 29 with 6038 viewsScuzzer

I am wondering if we could get Wolfy back. With what I have seen from him he could go on to be an excellent defender.

Established 1968

Chambers - tough call on 15:59 - Nov 29 with 6031 viewsSonOfSpock

Who else is going to play though? (that isnt worse)
Chambers - tough call on 15:59 - Nov 29 with 6033 viewsChocorange

Chambers - tough call on 15:46 - Nov 29 by Vic

I just spent 5 minutes pouring over the goals last night. What struck me, apart from the crosses coming in, was Pennington's poor positioning for the 2nd and 3rd goals.

For the 2nd he was completely ball watching, and went towards our line leaving his man who was then free to side foot it into the net.

For the 3rd he got wrong side of his man who then stepped forward and Pennington stumbles as he presumably tried to back peddle. Again the BC forward was left with a simple header.

Small margins, but generally pretty poor defending. He's better than this; it's almost like they are trying to hard instead of doing what comes naturally. But thats lack of confidence for you isn;t it.

PS - what a wonderful goal Freddie's first one was - good enough to grace any game. Superb ball from Skuse, taken by Freddie on his thigh on the run and surging on to slot hom. best ITFC goal I've seen for a good long while.

Leeds fans didnt think Pennington was better than this for the whole of last season.

Seems to be overrated by some on here.
Chambers - tough call on 16:06 - Nov 29 with 6007 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Nobody is covering themselves in glory but at this time we need someone to step up and sort us out. We absolutely *need* Chambers on the field. Short of him putting the ball in our own net consistently, we need him.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Login to get fewer ads

Chambers - tough call on 16:14 - Nov 29 with 5989 viewsNo9

I wouldn't be surprised if he's a bit demoralised by the ease with which opposition teams put Town's 18 yard box under siege
He's had this now for 4 or 5 seasons wouldn't anyone be aa little bit pissed off?
Chambers - tough call on 16:24 - Nov 29 with 5968 viewsblueislander

Chambers - tough call on 16:06 - Nov 29 by JammyDodgerrr

Nobody is covering themselves in glory but at this time we need someone to step up and sort us out. We absolutely *need* Chambers on the field. Short of him putting the ball in our own net consistently, we need him.

Why do we "need" him? He is not playing well, and his famed experience and leadership qualities are not doing anything for us. Until we get Woolfie back , it must be worth giving Jancien a try, or Chalobah in the position from which he captains England Under 20s.
Chambers - tough call on 16:57 - Nov 29 with 5902 viewsernie

Not only in the way he has been playing is this the right call but also in the other so called qualities he brings to the side. The way that Chambers and everyone else got carried away during Sears' second goal celebrations in front of the North stand was like we had won the Champions league. He should have been calming people down, reorganising and getting ready to go again for a tough half an hour of football still to play. Maybe a small point in hindsight and only a goal celebration so hard to criticise but was notable in the way all the emotions came pouring out, and bang 30 seconds later we switch off and concede again. Too many times this group of players have been called out for not having the mental strength for the fight or the battle when heads drop and you could see it during the third goal.
Chambers - tough call on 16:57 - Nov 29 with 5901 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Chambers - tough call on 16:24 - Nov 29 by blueislander

Why do we "need" him? He is not playing well, and his famed experience and leadership qualities are not doing anything for us. Until we get Woolfie back , it must be worth giving Jancien a try, or Chalobah in the position from which he captains England Under 20s.

Think the general consensus is we are in this position because there are too players from L1 trying to make the step up to Championship football and not adjusting quickly. Having someone in the heart of defence who has played hundreds of championship games, rather than 'giving a try' to someone who was playing left back in L2 last year. Chambers has not been great, but in the last few games i don't think he's been responsible for many, if any, goals.

Woolfie is great and will be a great defender but he is not ready yet. Not the time for a kid in defence.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Chambers - tough call on 17:05 - Nov 29 with 5869 viewsJ2BLUE

I love Chambers but he was awful last night. Hate saying it as he'd be a Town legend in any more successful era but he was.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Chambers - tough call on 17:48 - Nov 29 with 5819 viewsbluebare

I just watched the highlights and there is a whole world of problems at the back. I thought Spence had turned a corner after PL 1st home game but seems not. Pennington does bring the ball out with confidence but often is in the wrong position. Chambers is not leading or organising and often caught out. Knudsun is what he is but would possibly better as a left central defender with either Edun or Kenlock as wingbacks. It maybe worth going 3 in the middle along the lines of Pen/Toto/Jonas Toto not the best but can dominate in the air. Chambers could move to a holding midfield position he has played it before. Think Trev needs a rest he is only young and playing most games we wouldn't expect it of other youngsters. Surely there must be a decent left footed free player out there? Just a few thoughts
Chambers - tough call on 18:41 - Nov 29 with 5730 viewsTractorWood

Captain. Leader. Landlord.

Undropable and rightly so.
[Post edited 29 Nov 2018 18:42]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Chambers - tough call on 19:00 - Nov 29 with 5685 viewsVic

Chambers - tough call on 16:24 - Nov 29 by blueislander

Jancien? When did we sign him?

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Chambers - tough call on 00:15 - Nov 30 with 5566 viewsreusersfreekicks

Chambers - tough call on 15:21 - Nov 29 by TheTrueBlue1878

Think the triangle of Chambers/Pennington and Skuse have been decent. Goalkeeper, Two full backs and two central midfielders that haven't really been good enough over the last couple of games.

Disagree - think Pennington is liable to lose his man in the box which has cost us badly. Central defence looked much stronger with CCV than with Pennington
Chambers - tough call on 08:12 - Nov 30 with 5487 viewsSuperfrans

If we had a stable and functioning side, I suspect the positions of both Chambers and Skuse would be being challenged by now, either by young players coming through or by upgrades being signed. But we’re so fragile as a team, they’re absolutely essential to keep in board. Dropping them right now would be unthinkable.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Chambers - tough call on 08:15 - Nov 30 with 5483 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Chambers - tough call on 15:46 - Nov 29 by Vic

To score 2 cracking goals like that and lose........he must be gutted.
Glad to say I never lost the faith in Freddy.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Chambers - tough call on 09:18 - Nov 30 with 5443 viewsmaccyd9

Chambers has never been a dominant defender, it's not his game. He's always been best with a bruiser next to him. Berra and Chambers for example, Smith and Chambers and even CCV and Chambers.

So to that extent, I feel sorry for him. It's like asking Skuse to be a creative midfielder, it's just not his game. He needs a really physical presence next to him and Pennington doesn't bring that.

I actually feel sorry for him. He's given absolutely everything to this club on and off the pitch and probably held the club together from the inside when it could have fallen apart even more than it has.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024