Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
19:31 - Nov 30 with 4407 views_

Jordan Peterson on 19:33 - Nov 30 with 3093 viewsJ2BLUE

I like him.

He will always be shouted down though because his views upset people.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Jordan Peterson on 19:35 - Nov 30 with 3086 viewsMullet

A fairly mediocre academic who went viral and is smart enough to milk it.

His views aren't especially new or all that insightful, they're just contrarian to enough to certain kind of people to resonate.

The cultish following he's generated is fairly odd. His work that I've come across is ok, the lectures on biblical archetypes feel like his main thing is updating ideas for this generation which is maybe his real appeal.

I have some sympathy for his standpoint on gender pronouns etc. but there are bigger things to worry about.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Jordan Peterson on 19:36 - Nov 30 with 3083 viewschicoazul

I read something recently about JK Rowling and her new film. It was a piece about the fact she hopefully-accidentally makes facism so attractive in it, and the author claimed that since she is unlikely to face the issues blacks or gays or Jews or whoever would face from fascists it means she can only confront those same issues from a logical perspective. When you can only think about things "logically", through that prism of objective truth, you can always make them make sense and in fact, make them seem good and right. This is how I feel about Jordan Peterson.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

on 19:39 - Nov 30 with 3070 views_

Jordan Peterson on 19:33 - Nov 30 by J2BLUE

I like him.

He will always be shouted down though because his views upset people.

Jordan Peterson on 19:40 - Nov 30 with 3064 viewsHarry_Palmer

From the relatively small amount I have heard/read, I quite like him. Seems to speak an awful lot of sense.
on 19:42 - Nov 30 with 3057 views_

Jordan Peterson on 19:35 - Nov 30 by Mullet

His views aren't especially new or all that insightful, they're just contrarian to enough to certain kind of people to resonate.

The cultish following he's generated is fairly odd. His work that I've come across is ok, the lectures on biblical archetypes feel like his main thing is updating ideas for this generation which is maybe his real appeal.

I have some sympathy for his standpoint on gender pronouns etc. but there are bigger things to worry about.

Jordan Peterson on 19:47 - Nov 30 with 3037 viewsMullet

on 19:42 - Nov 30 by _

I'm not really sure in % terms. Rogan's love of him was probably my main exposure and a few Facebook (mutual) friends discussing him from time to time.

There's probably some confirmation bias there because of the media furore and him embracing it. To me it seems a lot of what he says is fairly unremarkable but aimed at/likely to inflame those on the fringes, hence the fuss.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

on 19:52 - Nov 30 with 3022 views_

Jordan Peterson on 19:47 - Nov 30 by Mullet

I'm not really sure in % terms. Rogan's love of him was probably my main exposure and a few Facebook (mutual) friends discussing him from time to time.

There's probably some confirmation bias there because of the media furore and him embracing it. To me it seems a lot of what he says is fairly unremarkable but aimed at/likely to inflame those on the fringes, hence the fuss.

Login to get fewer ads

Jordan Peterson on 19:53 - Nov 30 with 3018 viewschicoazul

Jordan Peterson on 19:47 - Nov 30 by Mullet

Don't forget he only eats beef.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Jordan Peterson on 20:06 - Nov 30 with 2991 viewsDarth_Koont

He's a polemicist, not really a thinker.

Put simply, he's like a very good 6th form debater and always taking the libertarian viewpoint.

His recent problem with the Canadian government on gender terms was just silly.

Pronouns: He/Him

on 20:07 - Nov 30 with 2987 views_

Jordan Peterson on 20:06 - Nov 30 by Darth_Koont

Put simply, he's like a very good 6th form debater and always taking the libertarian viewpoint.

Jordan Peterson on 20:10 - Nov 30 with 2972 viewscaught-in-limbo

Jordan Peterson on 19:35 - Nov 30 by Mullet

I think his deep study and understanding of Nazi Germany, Stalinist Russia and Maoist China make his views on free speech incredibly timely.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Jordan Peterson on 20:44 - Nov 30 with 2927 viewsjaseitfc

a great academic thinker , who is unfairly called alt-right.

I think if you listen to/read his words its clear to see he is conservative in some ways, and liberal/left in others.

Of course, nuanced people like him though suffer in today's world where people just want to put everyone in boxes.

I think his interview with Cathy Newman at the start of the year was fantastic.
Jordan Peterson on 20:45 - Nov 30 with 2923 viewsDarth_Koont

on 20:07 - Nov 30 by _

Google it. It's a good term and explains the driving force behind the HItchens brothers, for example, rather than thinking they really care about what they're talking about.

on 20:46 - Nov 30 with 2919 views_

Jordan Peterson on 20:44 - Nov 30 by jaseitfc

a great academic thinker , who is unfairly called alt-right.

I think if you listen to/read his words its clear to see he is conservative in some ways, and liberal/left in others.

Of course, nuanced people like him though suffer in today's world where people just want to put everyone in boxes.

I think his interview with Cathy Newman at the start of the year was fantastic.

on 20:48 - Nov 30 with 2905 views_

Jordan Peterson on 20:45 - Nov 30 by Darth_Koont

Google it. It's a good term and explains the driving force behind the HItchens brothers, for example, rather than thinking they really care about what they're talking about.

Jordan Peterson on 20:51 - Nov 30 with 2897 viewsjaseitfc

on 20:46 - Nov 30 by _

he was great in that interview

I dont agree with him fully about his view on the gender pay gap; he makes valid points but I think there are traditional societal pressures on women that have led to their working decision - thats another discussion though.

In that interview, he outclassed Cathy Newman, who is one of my favourite news anchors to be honest. She was aggressive and he was relaxed, leaned back and reasonably answered her questions. The best part was when he was talking about university activists and the right to offend...

its a must watch interview I think - its a great snapshot of today's discourse
on 20:59 - Nov 30 with 2850 views_

Jordan Peterson on 20:51 - Nov 30 by jaseitfc

he was great in that interview

I dont agree with him fully about his view on the gender pay gap; he makes valid points but I think there are traditional societal pressures on women that have led to their working decision - thats another discussion though.

In that interview, he outclassed Cathy Newman, who is one of my favourite news anchors to be honest. She was aggressive and he was relaxed, leaned back and reasonably answered her questions. The best part was when he was talking about university activists and the right to offend...

its a must watch interview I think - its a great snapshot of today's discourse

Jordan Peterson on 21:03 - Nov 30 with 2840 viewsSwansea_Blue

Who? Can he play right back?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Jordan Peterson on 21:06 - Nov 30 with 2828 viewscaught-in-limbo

Jordan Peterson on 20:06 - Nov 30 by Darth_Koont

Alexander Solzhenitsyn's 3-volume masterpiece Gulag Archipelago is arguably the most influential book of the 20th century.

To celebrate the book's 50th anniversary, the Solzhenitsyn family invited that 6th form debater-cum-silly-polemicist to write the foreward to the special edition abridged version.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Jordan Peterson on 21:13 - Nov 30 with 2809 viewswellhungphil

on 20:46 - Nov 30 by _

The "interview" with Cathy Newman was preceded by politeness and courtesy, apparently. It was the more recent "interview" with some so-called feminist (actually a feminazi) from GQ or HQ or whatever that magazine is called where yer one (her name escapes me in the same way a canary escapes from a cage when you leave the door open and wait for it to fly away) that was preceded by some ridiculous comment from the woman about how they were going into battle.

It wasn't a battle so much as a shallow feminazi rant against something which that particular doctrine sees as a threat, but which is actually a well thought-out and logical way of seeing the world.

The mildly amusing thing about the second interview (the one with GQ) was that the woman then went on to write about it, and how she "stumped" Dr Peterson on a couple of points. I watched it and she didn't. Like Cathy Newman's attack, it was basically all mouth and no brain, and very amateurish.

With that second interview too, judging by some of the smirking and dumb faces she was pulling, I'd say she was a) a bit star-struck b) knew she was well out of her depth and c) maybe even slightly in love with the guy. That last notion may be fanciful but the way I see it, feminazism is basically a reflection of a woman's struggle with and despising of herself, not with the imaginary patriarchy.

I don't agree with everything Peterson says either but I certainly agree with most of it because most of it is pretty obvious, especially when it's spelled out in a logical way. So while some of what he says may seem "obvious", it's obvious only if one has bothered to do much introspection or honest self-appraisal over one's lifetime, and you'd be surprised how many people don't do that.
Jordan Peterson on 21:13 - Nov 30 with 2808 viewsDarth_Koont

on 20:48 - Nov 30 by _

Well feeling that there's more to him is a bit of his schtick.

on 21:15 - Nov 30 with 2794 views_

Jordan Peterson on 21:13 - Nov 30 by Darth_Koont

Well feeling that there's more to him is a bit of his schtick.

on 21:16 - Nov 30 with 2789 views_

Jordan Peterson on 21:13 - Nov 30 by wellhungphil

The "interview" with Cathy Newman was preceded by politeness and courtesy, apparently. It was the more recent "interview" with some so-called feminist (actually a feminazi) from GQ or HQ or whatever that magazine is called where yer one (her name escapes me in the same way a canary escapes from a cage when you leave the door open and wait for it to fly away) that was preceded by some ridiculous comment from the woman about how they were going into battle.

It wasn't a battle so much as a shallow feminazi rant against something which that particular doctrine sees as a threat, but which is actually a well thought-out and logical way of seeing the world.

The mildly amusing thing about the second interview (the one with GQ) was that the woman then went on to write about it, and how she "stumped" Dr Peterson on a couple of points. I watched it and she didn't. Like Cathy Newman's attack, it was basically all mouth and no brain, and very amateurish.

With that second interview too, judging by some of the smirking and dumb faces she was pulling, I'd say she was a) a bit star-struck b) knew she was well out of her depth and c) maybe even slightly in love with the guy. That last notion may be fanciful but the way I see it, feminazism is basically a reflection of a woman's struggle with and despising of herself, not with the imaginary patriarchy.

I don't agree with everything Peterson says either but I certainly agree with most of it because most of it is pretty obvious, especially when it's spelled out in a logical way. So while some of what he says may seem "obvious", it's obvious only if one has bothered to do much introspection or honest self-appraisal over one's lifetime, and you'd be surprised how many people don't do that.

Jordan Peterson on 21:20 - Nov 30 with 2770 viewsDarth_Koont

on 21:15 - Nov 30 by _

Woah!

It's not condescending. Peterson is a very, very skilled operator.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024