Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So... if / when we go down. 10:30 - Dec 3 with 3850 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I think we will be fairly well equipped for League 1. I don't think we would be at risk of losing too many players, and I think Lambert would stay. Clearly the biggest risk for us is losing promising youngsters, but how many of them have proved themselves yet?

Goalkeepers - Likely to keep at least one of Bart or Gerks. Before this season, I wouldn't expect to be saying that, but on current form, who would take Bart and pay him big bucks?

Full Backs - I expect Knudsen to leave. But that leaves Emanuel, Kenlock and Donacien as options. All of whom are good enough for League 1. I purposely have mentioned Spence as a full back.

Centre Backs - I would think Chambo would stay, he will be 34 at the start of next season, so I dont see a queue of takers. Nsiala will stay, and is proven at L1 level. We will also have woolfenden back fom loan.

Midfield - Here's where we are a bit more exposed. Downes has probably done enough to earn a move away, and I suspect someone would come in for Dozzell. I think we would keep Nydam, and Bishop. Skuse would also likely stay, he is 33 shortly and I dont see a queue of takers. Nolan would also be an asset at L1 level. (Adeyemi and Huws - I doubt they will be fit enough to either play or be sold!) Rowe would probably be OK at that Level. Ward... Never seems to have kicked on, maybe needs a new start.

Forwards - Sears, if he continues his current form, then he could get some interest. Harrison is proven at L1 level, and Jackson should be capable of playing at that level, it should really have been his next step. Roberts should be useful in L1. Lankester... I hope he would stay, and a season in L1 would be good for his development, but I could also see someone taking a punt on him.

So starting XI? A punt...

Gerks

Emanuel Nsiala Wooldfenden Kenlock

Bishop Nydam Nolan

Lankester Harrison Sears

I reckon that team would be enough for a good push in League 1.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

So... if / when we go down. on 10:36 - Dec 3 with 3815 viewsGuthrum

Remember there is a turnover-based wage cap. We might not be able to afford all of those.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

So... if / when we go down. on 10:38 - Dec 3 with 3801 viewsJimmyJazz

Given the grim reality of League 1, we might actually enjoy it (as long as we don't stick around too long) we'll be a 'big' team in the league and hopefully will be in a promotion push

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

So... if / when we go down. on 10:46 - Dec 3 with 3772 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

So... if / when we go down. on 10:36 - Dec 3 by Guthrum

Remember there is a turnover-based wage cap. We might not be able to afford all of those.

I don't think that will be a massive issue next season, as there are some allowances for relegated clubs in terms of longer serving players.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

So... if / when we go down. on 11:04 - Dec 3 with 3734 viewsjonathanton

IF we go down everything will change. The squad will be completely different. There's no point making predictions. It will all hinge upon a new squad and probably manager gelling.

The squad will even be substantially different come the end of Jan.
So... if / when we go down. on 11:05 - Dec 3 with 3740 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Said that had some really close friends who are ST ticket holders at Shrewsbury Town, and they think Emmanuel is a bit of an odd one, very athletic full back, very defensively suspect, but quite effective going forward, not a very solid all round full back though.

Personally, Bart, Knudsen, Spence, Adeyemi, Ward, Dozzell, Chalobah, Pennington and one of Harrison, Jackson, Roberts will leave.

My team for day 1 would be:
Gerken
C.Gunter / Chambers / Woolfenden / Dickenson (col u)
Bishop / Skuse / Lankester
Edwards / Harrison / Sears

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

So... if / when we go down. on 11:08 - Dec 3 with 3719 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

So... if / when we go down. on 11:04 - Dec 3 by jonathanton

IF we go down everything will change. The squad will be completely different. There's no point making predictions. It will all hinge upon a new squad and probably manager gelling.

I think Lambert will stay. And my point is that we do have players on the books that would do OK in L1.

Presumably any additions in Jan will only strengthen the cause, so thats all good.

Perfectly happy for you to excuse yourself from the discussion.

So... if / when we go down. on 11:11 - Dec 3 with 3698 viewsJimmyJazz

I can see the January additions either being loans or short term contracts - i.e. a job to be done this season

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

So... if / when we go down. on 11:18 - Dec 3 with 3682 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

So... if / when we go down. on 11:05 - Dec 3 by TheTrueBlue1878

Said that had some really close friends who are ST ticket holders at Shrewsbury Town, and they think Emmanuel is a bit of an odd one, very athletic full back, very defensively suspect, but quite effective going forward, not a very solid all round full back though.

Personally, Bart, Knudsen, Spence, Adeyemi, Ward, Dozzell, Chalobah, Pennington and one of Harrison, Jackson, Roberts will leave.

Gerken

Great.... he sounds like Tyrone Mings. LOL.

Login to get fewer ads

So... if / when we go down. on 11:25 - Dec 3 with 3659 viewsBlueNode

All this Lambert will stay is very concerning.
I am not so sure he will stay. He considers himself to be champ/prem standard now, and it was a long time ago he was managing a league 1 club.

He was being touted as the next Man U manager not so long ago, and if he is such a good manager then other clubs will come sniffing around to tempt him away.

His interview technique is aimed at getting the fans onside, and that has been the same at every club he has managed at.

He was quick to jump ship from the scum to Villa and he will still be looking to improve his standing in the managing stakes.

I would also expect he has some sort of get out clauses in his contract.

Be aware!
[Post edited 3 Dec 2018 11:31]

Synapse central - No, I have not got a cold!
Poll: Is it time now for a protest regarding Evans lack of investment in the Club?

So... if / when we go down. on 11:31 - Dec 3 with 3627 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

So... if / when we go down. on 11:25 - Dec 3 by BlueNode

All this Lambert will stay is very concerning.
I am not so sure he will stay. He considers himself to be champ/prem standard now, and it was a long time ago he was managing a league 1 club.

He was being touted as the next Man U manager not so long ago, and if he is such a good manager then other clubs will come sniffing around to tempt him away.

His interview technique is aimed at getting the fans onside, and that has been the same at every club he has managed at.

He was quick to jump ship from the scum to Villa and he will still be looking to improve his standing in the managing stakes.

I would also expect he has some sort of get out clauses in his contract.

Be aware!
[Post edited 3 Dec 2018 11:31]

Happy to agree to differ.

He left for Villa as a young manager on the back of two promotions and keeping them in the Prem, he was basically the Eddie Howe of his time. Those days are gone, and football has a memory that strecthes back around 6 weeks.

Happy to agree to differ, I just feel that he would stay.

I think Lambert went into this job with his eyes wide open, and will appreciate being left to run the club as he sees fit.

So... if / when we go down. on 11:43 - Dec 3 with 3590 viewsHarry_Palmer

I would say it is more likely to be as the OP suggests but with one or two experienced L1 players being added.

There is no evidence currently that suggests we will have a new Manager let alone wholesale changes to the squad.
So... if / when we go down. on 11:54 - Dec 3 with 3558 viewsHarry_Palmer

There are a lot of if's and but's at this stage but I broadly agree with you.

As long as we keep the likes of Lankester, Bishop etc. and mix them in with Chambers, Skuse and 1 or two more with L1 Know how, I think we would be well equipped to challenge.

It would all largely depend on how Evans approached things though, one would hope that he would take some responsibility for putting us into L1 and provide the necessary finance for us to compete ( either that or sell up to somebody who can ).

Alternatively though he may make drastic cuts, sell off any remaining talent and expect Lambert or AN other to perform yet another miracle.
So... if / when we go down. on 12:17 - Dec 3 with 3507 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

So... if / when we go down. on 11:54 - Dec 3 by Harry_Palmer

There are a lot of if's and but's at this stage but I broadly agree with you.

As long as we keep the likes of Lankester, Bishop etc. and mix them in with Chambers, Skuse and 1 or two more with L1 Know how, I think we would be well equipped to challenge.

It would all largely depend on how Evans approached things though, one would hope that he would take some responsibility for putting us into L1 and provide the necessary finance for us to compete ( either that or sell up to somebody who can ).

Alternatively though he may make drastic cuts, sell off any remaining talent and expect Lambert or AN other to perform yet another miracle.

Wouldn't disagree.

I would expect player sales, although that was factored in to my thinking.

So... if / when we go down. on 12:58 - Dec 3 with 3416 viewsIpswichKnight

So... if / when we go down. on 11:05 - Dec 3 by TheTrueBlue1878

Gerken

I agree with a lot of that, Bart will leave mainly so he can keep his chances of playing for Poland alive, they are not going to pick a L1 keeper.
So... if / when we go down. on 13:22 - Dec 3 with 3363 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

So... if / when we go down. on 12:58 - Dec 3 by IpswichKnight

I agree with a lot of that, Bart will leave mainly so he can keep his chances of playing for Poland alive, they are not going to pick a L1 keeper.

If we are in L1, getting Bart of the pay roll wouldnt be a bad thing.

So... if / when we go down. on 13:24 - Dec 3 with 3355 viewsElephantintheRoom

Admirably positive. But have you not been following what goes on at ITFC? The owner likes to bring in several million each year in sales. Given the paucity of what is left to sell that is midway between anybody and every body. The wage bill will HAVE to be cut drastically as well so Armageddon beckons. That means the high earners - chambers, skuse, sears will be paid off if their contract is not up. The unwanted dross - eg all Hurst's signings might be eased out to raise money. Then what is left?

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

So... if / when we go down. on 13:35 - Dec 3 with 3309 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

So... if / when we go down. on 12:58 - Dec 3 by IpswichKnight

No agree, he will want to remain too end championship. Maybe Villa, Boro, Stoke if Butland leaves. He’s a high earner for us uni Championship let alone in League 1.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

So... if / when we go down. on 13:54 - Dec 3 with 3259 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

So... if / when we go down. on 13:24 - Dec 3 by ElephantintheRoom

Admirably positive. But have you not been following what goes on at ITFC? The owner likes to bring in several million each year in sales. Given the paucity of what is left to sell that is midway between anybody and every body. The wage bill will HAVE to be cut drastically as well so Armageddon beckons. That means the high earners - chambers, skuse, sears will be paid off if their contract is not up. The unwanted dross - eg all Hurst's signings might be eased out to raise money. Then what is left?

Paying up contracts does not save money.

Also, my OP allows for the sale of Downes, Dozzell and Bart, which would bring in decent funds.

I think Hursts signings would do OK in League 1.

My OP is pretty self explanatory.

So... if / when we go down. on 14:58 - Dec 3 with 3193 viewsHarryWright

So... if / when we go down. on 13:54 - Dec 3 by Marshalls_Mullet

Paying up contracts does not save money.

Also, my OP allows for the sale of Downes, Dozzell and Bart, which would bring in decent funds.

I think Hursts signings would do OK in League 1.

My OP is pretty self explanatory.

Dozzells an interesting one.. if he's not in the first team then will there really be too many who are willing to pay the money for him? Of course he's a highly rated youngster but he wouldn't be cheap and for a player not actually playing everyone I can't imagine anyone meeting what we would believe his price is.

Probably way off on that but just an opinion.
So... if / when we go down. on 15:22 - Dec 3 with 3148 viewsSteve_D

So... if / when we go down. on 14:58 - Dec 3 by HarryWright

Dozzells an interesting one.. if he's not in the first team then will there really be too many who are willing to pay the money for him? Of course he's a highly rated youngster but he wouldn't be cheap and for a player not actually playing everyone I can't imagine anyone meeting what we would believe his price is.

Probably way off on that but just an opinion.

Downes , bishop , Dozzell will all go to championship clubs , Bart , Knudsen will go to keep their international dreams alive , Sears will not play in div 1 so again another championship club , M E will have to invest more heavily due to reduced income , how on earth is this going to be ok , also Div 1 is no cake walk ask Sheffield Utd fans , There is not anything good about us dropping down a division
So... if / when we go down. on 15:36 - Dec 3 with 3123 viewsOxford_Blue

That’s all conjecture I’m afraid.

I doubt Lambert would stay unless he was backed financially such that a return was likely. . He’s a manager who has been in the premiership. He won’t want to damage his career by being associated with a struggling side.

14 players are out of contract so I think it’s fair to say a number will move on.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024