Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I see that the Spurs fan..... 12:38 - Dec 3 with 6320 viewsBloots

....that lobbed a banana skin onto the pitch yesterday has been given an indefinite ban.

The general consensus from many, including Ian Wright amongst others, is that this was an act of racism.

Am I on my own in just not getting that at all?

There are calls from a number of camps that it now needs to be a criminal investigation and that he should be convicted of a hate crime.

Surely he was just eating a banana and lobbed it on the pitch because they conceded?

The thought that he went in, ate his banana and then held onto it until a black player scored so that he could throw it at him when he celebrated in front of him is a bit far fetched.

They keep comparing it to the incident with Barnes, but it really isn't the same.

Does this now make me racist?

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

I see that the Spurs fan..... on 12:42 - Dec 3 with 4876 viewsGlebeTractor

Who the feck takes a banana to football?

Poll: Was that the worst game you've been to? If not, what was?

I see that the Spurs fan..... on 12:43 - Dec 3 with 4861 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I think given the world famous footage of barnes kicking the banana, everyone knows the implications of throwing a banana on the pitch.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

I see that the Spurs fan..... on 12:43 - Dec 3 with 4863 viewsIllinoisblue

Who brings a banana to a football game? That’s weird in itself. And he just happened to throw it on the pitch when a black player scored? Maybe there’s CCTV footage showing the exact minute when he finished eating the banana; maybe he had literally just finished eating it and threw the skin in a fit of rage when Arsenal scored.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

I see that the Spurs fan..... on 12:43 - Dec 3 with 4848 viewsfooters

I haven't seen the incident in question, but given the history of people... sorry, racists, throwing bananas at black players, this surely can't be a coincidence?

When was the last time you saw someone eating a banana at football? Can't say I've ever seen it myself!

If Spurs have reviewed what's happened and agree to an indefinite ban (why not lifetime?) then it must have some grounding in sense.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

I see that the Spurs fan..... on 12:43 - Dec 3 with 4846 viewsJ2BLUE

I kind of agree. My one question would be who the hell eats a banana in the middle of a football match? Especially such an engaging local derby.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I see that the Spurs fan..... on 12:46 - Dec 3 with 4829 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Missing entirely the fact that someone else may have eaten a banana and left the skin on the ground and this fan, upon conceding, decided to then lob it onto the pitch at a black player.

No matter how stupid you are I would imagine that everyone would be aware of the severity of doing this and how it would be interpreted. It's not like a coin or bottle that could cause harm. It wasn't going to physically hurt anyone.

So the only reason for throwing this really is racially motivated.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

I see that the Spurs fan..... on 12:46 - Dec 3 with 4812 viewsKieran_Knows

I see that the Spurs fan..... on 12:46 - Dec 3 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Missing entirely the fact that someone else may have eaten a banana and left the skin on the ground and this fan, upon conceding, decided to then lob it onto the pitch at a black player.

No matter how stupid you are I would imagine that everyone would be aware of the severity of doing this and how it would be interpreted. It's not like a coin or bottle that could cause harm. It wasn't going to physically hurt anyone.

This.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

I see that the Spurs fan..... on 12:48 - Dec 3 with 4815 viewsSitfcB

I see that the Spurs fan..... on 12:42 - Dec 3 by GlebeTractor

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Login to get fewer ads

I see that the Spurs fan..... on 12:49 - Dec 3 with 4776 viewsSitfcB

I see that the Spurs fan..... on 12:46 - Dec 3 by WarkTheWarkITFC

But what if the goalscorer was white and the banana skin had still been thrown?

COYB

I see that the Spurs fan..... on 12:51 - Dec 3 with 4755 viewsJ2BLUE

I see that the Spurs fan..... on 12:48 - Dec 3 by SitfcB

Football lasts less than two hours. I've never really got people eating during the game/half time.

Truly impaired.

I see that the Spurs fan..... on 12:53 - Dec 3 with 4732 viewswkj

I see that the Spurs fan..... on 12:51 - Dec 3 by J2BLUE

Football lasts less than two hours. I've never really got people eating during the game/half time.

Who are you to get all up in my 5 a day

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

I see that the Spurs fan..... on 12:54 - Dec 3 with 4717 viewslegal_blue

You're mixing up two areas of law: criminal and civil.

To prove a criminal offence, the court must be satisfied so that it is sure the offender committed the offence. This used to be known as beyond reasonable doubt. What you say about innocent eating of the banana does sound like a plausible defence. If there is footage of him eating the banana just before the goal, then who knows what the court would believe?

However, in civil cases (and likely applied by the FA in banning cases), these matters are decided upon the balance of probabilities, which is, essentially 51-49. The timing of the throwing, the ethnicity of the goal-scorer and the context in football, where bananas and monkey-chants have long-featured as a way of abusing black players make it much more likely to have been a racially-motivated act.

So, even if the individual is acquitted at criminal trial, there's no reason why his ban wouldn't remain in place and be perfectly lawful, and fair, to boot.
I see that the Spurs fan..... on 12:54 - Dec 3 with 4718 viewsJakeITFC

I see that the Spurs fan..... on 12:49 - Dec 3 by SitfcB

But what if the goalscorer was white and the banana skin had still been thrown?

Think there's a clear difference between throwing a banana at white person and a black person.

Whilst I'm pretty certain that the bloke hasn't taken a banana in to chuck at Aubameyang, I think it's fairly clear that it would be seen as big deal when it happens. Benefit of the doubt says stupid rather than a hate crime, but it really is very stupid.
I see that the Spurs fan..... on 12:55 - Dec 3 with 4702 viewsfooters

I see that the Spurs fan..... on 12:53 - Dec 3 by wkj

Who are you to get all up in my 5 a day

Especially since you're a diabetic. J2 is an insensitive brute at times.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

I see that the Spurs fan..... on 12:56 - Dec 3 with 4683 viewsJ2BLUE

I see that the Spurs fan..... on 12:54 - Dec 3 by JakeITFC

Think there's a clear difference between throwing a banana at white person and a black person.

Whilst I'm pretty certain that the bloke hasn't taken a banana in to chuck at Aubameyang, I think it's fairly clear that it would be seen as big deal when it happens. Benefit of the doubt says stupid rather than a hate crime, but it really is very stupid.

This

Truly impaired.

I see that the Spurs fan..... on 12:57 - Dec 3 with 4670 viewsGlebeTractor

Always one.

Poll: Was that the worst game you've been to? If not, what was?

I see that the Spurs fan..... on 12:58 - Dec 3 with 4653 viewsNo_Moore_Kieffer

I see that the Spurs fan..... on 13:04 - Dec 3 with 4590 viewstabletopjoe

No. But be very careful for thinking for yourself, it will get you into a lot of trouble

'Let the ignorant argue with themselves' -- CL

I see that the Spurs fan..... on 13:12 - Dec 3 with 4539 viewsSitfcB

I see that the Spurs fan..... on 12:54 - Dec 3 by JakeITFC

Is there?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/disgraceful-arsenal-fan-fined-for-th

COYB

I see that the Spurs fan..... on 13:14 - Dec 3 with 4520 viewsJakeITFC

I see that the Spurs fan..... on 13:12 - Dec 3 by SitfcB

Is there?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/disgraceful-arsenal-fan-fined-for-th

Yes, not sure what your article is trying to prove.
I see that the Spurs fan..... on 13:21 - Dec 3 with 4473 viewsyorkshire

It doesn't necessarily make you racist but it does suggest an ignorance - which is at minimum what the thrower is guilty of as well

Anyone who has followed football knows that throwing bananas at Black players is not a good thing - even if you are innocently eating a banana at the same time your team concedes a goal scored by a black player (highly unlikely) then just stop and think before you throw the skin at said player

These arguments are always a bit silly as it generally comes down to the motto "don't be a di*k" - of course bananas shouldb't be banned but like anything people should think about their actions
I see that the Spurs fan..... on 13:29 - Dec 3 with 4431 viewsSuperfrans

It did occur to me that someone might simply have taken a banana to eat at the game...

But we all understand the optic of throwing a banana or banana skin onto the pitch. It is fairly symbolic.

It does, of course, all depend on what was going on in the head of the person who threw it - which we'll never know, of course.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

I see that the Spurs fan..... on 13:31 - Dec 3 with 4413 viewsSwansea_Blue

I see that the Spurs fan..... on 12:42 - Dec 3 by GlebeTractor

Tommy Moonkey? (ex-Watford)

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I see that the Spurs fan..... on 14:18 - Dec 3 with 4269 viewsCoco

I see that the Spurs fan..... on 13:12 - Dec 3 by SitfcB

Is there?

What are you trying to prove? Genuinely can’t work it out.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

I see that the Spurs fan..... on 14:23 - Dec 3 with 4249 viewsmarcus1642

Perhaps it was an attempt at slap stick humour? Watching the player slip over on the skin in a comedic fashion.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024