Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Feel free to fire pelters - I'm starting to come round to the idea of relegation 14:56 - Dec 3 with 16845 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Without a doubt it could be catastrophic for the long term good of the club. There are so many things that could go wrong and as bad as things are right now they could get a hell of a lot worse.

But to use a lame medical analogy, it feels as if a large part of the last decade has been like living with excruciating pain in one leg where you know that having your leg cut off may actually not resolve all or any of the issues, but at some point in time it seems like maybe it could be the start of a new pain free beginning where things won't be the same any more, but you might find some manner of enjoyment in life again without it constantly hurting.

Because the idea of relegation, as terrifying as it can be, is only truly scary if we can fend it off forever. Over the last few years it seems as though we could easily have gone down before McCarthy arrived or been in real danger in a number of other seasons. Strangely, this season we look exactly like the McCarthy team I thought we'd have been without Bart having world class performance after world class performance.

Crowds are dwindling year by year. Fans are bored. We have lost EIGHT successive FA Cup 3rd round ties. Everything about the club is stale. Relegation seems a case of when rather than if and maybe, just maybe, it can be the start of something better.

There is no guarantee of an immediate return but would anyone seriously argue for 18th, 19th, 20th, 21st consecutive seasons in the Championship losing most weeks, fighting against the drop and 13,000 or lower each week? How many casual fans want to see us struggle against Bristol City for the 6th straight season.

League One would represent something exciting in the sense of new opposition, new stadiums, new players, new managers, a freshness. A chance to compete in Round 1 of the Cup against non-league minnows, the Paint Trophy and a genuine shot at Wembley (although I'd probably die a little bit if forced to play Norwich U21's) and while we may struggle, we may not come up, surely we would have a chance of being promoted or being in the playoffs or having some degree of hope that the season could be something other than the usual struggle.

Wigan and Blackburn have come back up and now look like decent, settled Championship sides. Hell, Rotherham have won four times more games than us!

I never thought I would ever want us to go down and that is true. I don't want us to. But at the moment it feels like as much of a chance of it becoming terminal for the club, it may also be what is needed to cut away the poison slowly killing us anyway!
[Post edited 3 Dec 2018 14:57]

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Feel free to fire pelters - I'm starting to come round to the idea of relegation on 14:58 - Dec 3 with 8372 viewsSpruceMoose

People be losing their damn minds.

There is no upside to relegation. At all.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Feel free to fire pelters - I'm starting to come round to the idea of relegation on 15:06 - Dec 3 with 8334 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Feel free to fire pelters - I'm starting to come round to the idea of relegation on 14:58 - Dec 3 by SpruceMoose

People be losing their damn minds.

There is no upside to relegation. At all.

Sunderland fans are having the most fun they've had in a decade.

Plenty of teams like Middlesbrough, West Brom, Swansea, Stoke have fans who find fighting for the top of the Championship much better than being humped 5-0 by the same big clubs week in week out for years.

We essentially are falling into a world of playing badly and struggling against the same teams pretty much for 20 years. The whole club is dying.

Unless Evans is prepared to spend and give us a genuine top 12 squad, which we know he won't (Stoke are 12th and Swansea are 14th and look at their squads!), then relegation will continue to be a real possibility every year.

So I think right now, given clear evidence of how Evans operates, I would actually be okay with us going down. The caveat is that he may then be this inept in League One and reduce costs so we were not competitive there!

Feel free to fire pelters - I'm starting to come round to the idea of relegation on 15:12 - Dec 3 with 8316 viewsSpruceMoose

Feel free to fire pelters - I'm starting to come round to the idea of relegation on 15:06 - Dec 3 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Plenty of teams like Middlesbrough, West Brom, Swansea, Stoke have fans who find fighting for the top of the Championship much better than being humped 5-0 by the same big clubs week in week out for years.

We essentially are falling into a world of playing badly and struggling against the same teams pretty much for 20 years. The whole club is dying.

Unless Evans is prepared to spend and give us a genuine top 12 squad, which we know he won't (Stoke are 12th and Swansea are 14th and look at their squads!), then relegation will continue to be a real possibility every year.

So I think right now, given clear evidence of how Evans operates, I would actually be okay with us going down. The caveat is that he may then be this inept in League One and reduce costs so we were not competitive there!

I feel like we are not being sensible if the risk analysis we carry out only focuses on best case scenarios. Rerun these figures with worst case scenarios and see if you're still happy.

You might like to factor in the percentage of turnover we will be allowed to allocate to wages in League One too.

Also, I wonder how happy our brightest prospects will be to stick around when faced with the prospect of getting kicked around the pitch in places like Rochdale and Fleetwood.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2018 15:13]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Feel free to fire pelters - I'm starting to come round to the idea of relegation on 15:21 - Dec 3 with 8294 viewsRadlett_blue

Okay - so we can start losing in the 1st Round of the FA Cup every year instead of the 3rd Round? Hmm...

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Feel free to fire pelters - I'm starting to come round to the idea of relegation on 15:33 - Dec 3 with 8283 viewsRegencyBlue

Sorry but no!

As I have said in the past those who are saying going down to League 1 will enable us to rebuild are missing the point in my view. Does anyone seriously see Evans doing anything other than selling off what ever playing assets he can, cutting the budget even further and bemoaning the fact we cannot compete with the big spenders of League 1? I really can’t!

Our only hope is a new owner. Evans is killing this club and I dont see anything changing whatever league we are in whilst he remains.
Feel free to fire pelters - I'm starting to come round to the idea of relegation on 15:34 - Dec 3 with 8271 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Feel free to fire pelters - I'm starting to come round to the idea of relegation on 15:21 - Dec 3 by Radlett_blue

Okay - so we can start losing in the 1st Round of the FA Cup every year instead of the 3rd Round? Hmm...

Or we could possibly win a few games and go into a 3rd round tie full of confidence on the back of a decent league campaign.

It could be the springboard to something better or the trapdoor to doom. But right now I'd take a coin toss over standing still forever and waiting for the club to slowly die anyway.

Feel free to fire pelters - I'm starting to come round to the idea of relegation on 15:39 - Dec 3 with 8244 viewsSpruceMoose

Feel free to fire pelters - I'm starting to come round to the idea of relegation on 15:34 - Dec 3 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Or we could possibly win a few games and go into a 3rd round tie full of confidence on the back of a decent league campaign.

It could be the springboard to something better or the trapdoor to doom. But right now I'd take a coin toss over standing still forever and waiting for the club to slowly die anyway.

"But right now I'd take a coin toss over standing still forever and waiting for the club to slowly die anyway."

You'd take a 50/50 coin toss on our future? Madness. Even in the best case scenario, where we walk League One in the first season and get promotion, we end right back in the Championship in the position we currently are in. May as well just stay here.

Feel free to fire pelters - I'm starting to come round to the idea of relegation on 15:40 - Dec 3 with 8242 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Feel free to fire pelters - I'm starting to come round to the idea of relegation on 15:06 - Dec 3 by WarkTheWarkITFC

We are not Sunderland. It won't be the same and we do not have the resources to compete in the same way. It will be an utter disaster if we go down.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Login to get fewer ads

Feel free to fire pelters - I'm starting to come round to the idea of relegation on 15:51 - Dec 3 with 8199 viewsJonnosdreadlocks

we can't deny that's where we are heading unless we suddenly win 4 or 5 games in a row minimum to get out of this mess. It's pragmatic and realistic that unless we win 3/4 of the games in December whatever we do post xmas will be too late. 17 years in the Championship is a long time, lots of clubs have been to the 1st and prem in that time maybe its our turn to finally leave the championship albeit in a southerly direction rather than a northern one.

Poll: An English Anthem. Wales and Scotland use their own what should England use?

Feel free to fire pelters - I'm starting to come round to the idea of relegation on 15:51 - Dec 3 with 8200 viewsStowTractorBoy

I really wonder if fans have seriously thought of the consequences of relegation which if at all possible must not happen. As mentioned on another thread today, the top tiers of a couple of stands would probably close. Our greatest asset at the moment the academy will surely be in danger of financial cuts and the owner who I know loves the academy will have a huge decision as to where his priorities lay i.e. the squad for the first team or continually funding the academy which in itself is a huge financial commitment which is sometimes forgotten when is Evans is slated on here. If we go down which looks a real possibility, season ticket prices will have to be reduced as with match day ticket prices. Huddersfield Town played the card of selling season tickets for £100 or so and hence reaped the rewards with far bigger crowds and the owners got their the deserved rewards. Not saying the Huddersfield way will happen for us but serious thought by the owner will have to be considered in these very worrying times.
Feel free to fire pelters - I'm starting to come round to the idea of relegation on 15:57 - Dec 3 with 8175 viewsSomethingBlue

No. Simply no. We cannot, must not start thinking like this.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Feel free to fire pelters - I'm starting to come round to the idea of relegation on 16:09 - Dec 3 with 8144 viewsHarry_Palmer

Feel free to fire pelters - I'm starting to come round to the idea of relegation on 15:57 - Dec 3 by SomethingBlue

No. Simply no. We cannot, must not start thinking like this.

Sooner or later we are going to face what is fast becoming our reality, and when we do we may as well look for the positives which is what I believe the OP is doing.

When you look at the fixtures it is just so hard to see where the wins are coming from, I mean does anybody really see us going to Stoke and winning or even getting a draw?

Of course we must keep fighting while there is still a chance but with every defeat the mountain we have to climb gets ever steeper.
Feel free to fire pelters - I'm starting to come round to the idea of relegation on 16:10 - Dec 3 with 8137 viewshampstead_blue

Blimey....I read the title of the post and thought.....Religion! Is this fellow Town fan crazy?

Then I re-read it and sighed. Phew, that was close. You nearly copped it there fella.

Relegation?
I'm holding onto the season Palace went up through the play-offs after being in the bottom three at crimbo.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Feel free to fire pelters - I'm starting to come round to the idea of relegation on 16:11 - Dec 3 with 8129 viewsCurrie10

if you can guarantee me promotion next season, then I'm sold.

If not, no chance. I think we'd struggle.
Feel free to fire pelters - I'm starting to come round to the idea of relegation on 16:14 - Dec 3 with 8122 viewsHarry_Palmer

Feel free to fire pelters - I'm starting to come round to the idea of relegation on 15:39 - Dec 3 by SpruceMoose

"But right now I'd take a coin toss over standing still forever and waiting for the club to slowly die anyway."

You'd take a 50/50 coin toss on our future? Madness. Even in the best case scenario, where we walk League One in the first season and get promotion, we end right back in the Championship in the position we currently are in. May as well just stay here.

Or we get promoted with a fresh young team that has no fear and takes the Championship in its stride.

Unlikely but who knows, stranger things have happened.

Something has to change at this club and maybe our seemingly inevitable relegation will force some changes that might be for the better in the long run.
Feel free to fire pelters - I'm starting to come round to the idea of relegation on 16:16 - Dec 3 with 8120 viewsRadlett_blue

Feel free to fire pelters - I'm starting to come round to the idea of relegation on 15:51 - Dec 3 by StowTractorBoy

I really wonder if fans have seriously thought of the consequences of relegation which if at all possible must not happen. As mentioned on another thread today, the top tiers of a couple of stands would probably close. Our greatest asset at the moment the academy will surely be in danger of financial cuts and the owner who I know loves the academy will have a huge decision as to where his priorities lay i.e. the squad for the first team or continually funding the academy which in itself is a huge financial commitment which is sometimes forgotten when is Evans is slated on here. If we go down which looks a real possibility, season ticket prices will have to be reduced as with match day ticket prices. Huddersfield Town played the card of selling season tickets for £100 or so and hence reaped the rewards with far bigger crowds and the owners got their the deserved rewards. Not saying the Huddersfield way will happen for us but serious thought by the owner will have to be considered in these very worrying times.

"Our owner loves the academy" - what evidence is there for that?
Yes, he funds it to the tune of £2.5m each year, largely in the hope that it will produce some saleable assets, but he is (rightly IMO) questioning the wisdom of that given the ease with which our best prospects can be poached by PL clubs e,g, Harry Clarke joined Arsenal, Charlie Brown went to Chelsea and most Ben Knight signed for Manchester City.
In the event of relegation, I think the academy might go & then we will have pretty much given up as a football club.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Feel free to fire pelters - I'm starting to come round to the idea of relegation on 16:17 - Dec 3 with 8115 viewsSpruceMoose

Feel free to fire pelters - I'm starting to come round to the idea of relegation on 16:14 - Dec 3 by Harry_Palmer

Or we get promoted with a fresh young team that has no fear and takes the Championship in its stride.

Unlikely but who knows, stranger things have happened.

Something has to change at this club and maybe our seemingly inevitable relegation will force some changes that might be for the better in the long run.

Oh, so we are just stating our hopes and dreams and wishes. Yeah... I'm not about to gamble to future of the club on that.

Feel free to fire pelters - I'm starting to come round to the idea of relegation on 16:38 - Dec 3 with 8068 viewsSteve_M

Feel free to fire pelters - I'm starting to come round to the idea of relegation on 15:12 - Dec 3 by SpruceMoose

I feel like we are not being sensible if the risk analysis we carry out only focuses on best case scenarios. Rerun these figures with worst case scenarios and see if you're still happy.

You might like to factor in the percentage of turnover we will be allowed to allocate to wages in League One too.

Also, I wonder how happy our brightest prospects will be to stick around when faced with the prospect of getting kicked around the pitch in places like Rochdale and Fleetwood.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2018 15:13]

I wonder if the awful piece Elvin King did in the Star in Spring 2002 is still on line. The argument that relegation might be a good thing was lamentable at the time and is even more so now. The same applies to being relegated to the third division now.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Feel free to fire pelters - I'm starting to come round to the idea of relegation on 16:44 - Dec 3 with 8052 viewsHarry_Palmer

Feel free to fire pelters - I'm starting to come round to the idea of relegation on 16:17 - Dec 3 by SpruceMoose

Oh, so we are just stating our hopes and dreams and wishes. Yeah... I'm not about to gamble to future of the club on that.

Hardly, If I was stating my hopes and dreams we would win every match between now and the end of the season and storm up the table into the play offs, not going to happen though is it.

As fans we have very little influence over what happens ultimately so nobody is asking you gamble anything. Unfortunately, what we are seeing on the football pitch is very much suggesting we will be in league one next season and I don't see the harm in trying to take some positives from that situation.
Feel free to fire pelters - I'm starting to come round to the idea of relegation on 16:47 - Dec 3 with 8049 viewsMullet

They live in Sunderland.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Feel free to fire pelters - I'm starting to come round to the idea of relegation on 16:48 - Dec 3 with 8040 viewswkj

Im not starting to come round to the idea of it, but i am starting to accept the likelihood of it, i can't see any possitives in going down though, many seem to think we'd bounce back up- with the way were going I fear we could emulate similar fortunes to Burton and Yeovil
[Post edited 3 Dec 2018 16:48]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Feel free to fire pelters - I'm starting to come round to the idea of relegation on 17:37 - Dec 3 with 7964 viewsSomethingBlue

Feel free to fire pelters - I'm starting to come round to the idea of relegation on 16:09 - Dec 3 by Harry_Palmer

Sooner or later we are going to face what is fast becoming our reality, and when we do we may as well look for the positives which is what I believe the OP is doing.

When you look at the fixtures it is just so hard to see where the wins are coming from, I mean does anybody really see us going to Stoke and winning or even getting a draw?

Of course we must keep fighting while there is still a chance but with every defeat the mountain we have to climb gets ever steeper.

Not having it — not until we are this far behind with say five games to go (or mathematically-scaled equivalent!). There's just too much football to be played and I've — we've — seen far too much to let this go at the moment.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Feel free to fire pelters - I'm starting to come round to the idea of relegation on 18:16 - Dec 3 with 7891 viewsMullet

Feel free to fire pelters - I'm starting to come round to the idea of relegation on 17:37 - Dec 3 by SomethingBlue

Not having it — not until we are this far behind with say five games to go (or mathematically-scaled equivalent!). There's just too much football to be played and I've — we've — seen far too much to let this go at the moment.

Win 5 on the bounce and we're fine anyway pretty much.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Feel free to fire pelters - I'm starting to come round to the idea of relegation on 19:09 - Dec 3 with 7824 viewsIllinoisblue

Feel free to fire pelters - I'm starting to come round to the idea of relegation on 18:16 - Dec 3 by Mullet

Win 5 on the bounce and we're fine anyway pretty much.

5 wins will take us 100 games on current form. #statoftheday

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Feel free to fire pelters - I'm starting to come round to the idea of relegation on 19:10 - Dec 3 with 7821 viewsIllinoisblue

i broadly agree; I don't think relegation will be half as bad people make out. End up playing OUR youngsters every week, win a few games and hopefully Evans might fook off.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024