Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Looks like article 50 can be reversed unilaterally... 09:38 - Dec 4 with 17254 viewsgiant_stow

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/dec/04/uk-can-stop-article-50-without-

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Looks like article 50 can be reversed unilaterally... on 09:39 - Dec 4 with 5797 viewsSwansea_Blue

Balls.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Looks like article 50 can be reversed unilaterally... on 10:03 - Dec 4 with 5764 viewsDarth_Koont

I'd like to see a politician or party stand for that now. It's the right thing to do for the country.

But obviously it'll first take a rejection of May's deal in Parliament and then it'll be a straight Remain vs. no-deal Brexit. If at that point there's no genuine appetite in the UK for stopping this sorry mess in its tracks then we deserve everything that's coming to us.

Pronouns: He/Him

Looks like article 50 can be reversed unilaterally... on 10:25 - Dec 4 with 5724 viewsStokieBlue

Interesting although it’s not clear on a few points.

For instance, it would seem that if we withdrew article 50 we would immediately go back to how things were without any say from the EU. That would mean we fall back on previous agreements and would continue to receive our rebate, use the pound and hold our veto.

Is that other people’s understanding?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Looks like article 50 can be reversed unilaterally... on 10:26 - Dec 4 with 5725 viewsBasuco

A BBC reporter was saying two weeks ago that the brexit deal would be rejected by MP's, no confidence vote in the Government would also be rejected and then Labour would support another referendum. It looks to me like the mess is going to get a whole lot messier and we will after all stay in the EU.
Looks like article 50 can be reversed unilaterally... on 10:28 - Dec 4 with 5719 viewsBasuco

Looks like article 50 can be reversed unilaterally... on 10:03 - Dec 4 by Darth_Koont

I'd like to see a politician or party stand for that now. It's the right thing to do for the country.

But obviously it'll first take a rejection of May's deal in Parliament and then it'll be a straight Remain vs. no-deal Brexit. If at that point there's no genuine appetite in the UK for stopping this sorry mess in its tracks then we deserve everything that's coming to us.

At least another leave or remain vote would allow us to have some idea of the truth about what we are voting for! Unlike last time.
Looks like article 50 can be reversed unilaterally... on 10:36 - Dec 4 with 5701 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Doesn't seem like news. It's always been obvious that the EU would accept a backtracking by us.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Looks like article 50 can be reversed unilaterally... on 10:38 - Dec 4 with 5694 viewsVic

Looks like article 50 can be reversed unilaterally... on 10:25 - Dec 4 by StokieBlue

Interesting although it’s not clear on a few points.

For instance, it would seem that if we withdrew article 50 we would immediately go back to how things were without any say from the EU. That would mean we fall back on previous agreements and would continue to receive our rebate, use the pound and hold our veto.

Is that other people’s understanding?

SB

That’s how it reads on the surface. But I bet it wouldn’t be that simple. Nothing ever is with the EU - which is why we should still get out if we can.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Looks like article 50 can be reversed unilaterally... on 11:05 - Dec 4 with 5654 viewsgiant_stow

Looks like article 50 can be reversed unilaterally... on 10:38 - Dec 4 by Vic

That’s how it reads on the surface. But I bet it wouldn’t be that simple. Nothing ever is with the EU - which is why we should still get out if we can.

obviously i'm a know-nothing prick on the internet, but isn't it logical to assume that if we can cancel article 50, we *must* fallback to the previous status quo. there'd be nothing to negotiate - we'd simply be in the EU on the same terms, no?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Login to get fewer ads

Looks like article 50 can be reversed unilaterally... on 11:09 - Dec 4 with 5644 viewslowhouseblue

if only a majority hadn't voted in favour of leaving. but they did. a legal ruling doesn't alter that.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Looks like article 50 can be reversed unilaterally... on 11:11 - Dec 4 with 5633 viewsGlasgowBlue

I suppose technically we could revoke article 50 today then invoke it again tomorrow giving us two years to prepare for an orderly no deal Brexit on WTO rules.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Looks like article 50 can be reversed unilaterally... on 11:14 - Dec 4 with 5626 viewsRyorry

Looks like article 50 can be reversed unilaterally... on 11:11 - Dec 4 by GlasgowBlue

I suppose technically we could revoke article 50 today then invoke it again tomorrow giving us two years to prepare for an orderly no deal Brexit on WTO rules.

Now there's an idea!
You should be a politician.
Oh ....

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Looks like article 50 can be reversed unilaterally... on 11:16 - Dec 4 with 5619 viewsRyorry

Looks like article 50 can be reversed unilaterally... on 10:03 - Dec 4 by Darth_Koont

I think it's very possible the vote would be narrowly "leave" again.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Looks like article 50 can be reversed unilaterally... on 11:22 - Dec 4 with 5599 viewsgiant_stow

Looks like article 50 can be reversed unilaterally... on 11:11 - Dec 4 by GlasgowBlue

arf!

Just the threat of that could even bring a better deal.

Looks like article 50 can be reversed unilaterally... on 11:23 - Dec 4 with 5597 viewsgiant_stow

Looks like article 50 can be reversed unilaterally... on 11:09 - Dec 4 by lowhouseblue

if only a majority hadn't voted in favour of leaving. but they did. a legal ruling doesn't alter that.

No, but it allows us to change our minds.

Looks like article 50 can be reversed unilaterally... on 11:25 - Dec 4 with 5586 viewsJ2BLUE

We will probably see major civil unrest if Brexit is stopped UNLESS it's via a second referendum.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Looks like article 50 can be reversed unilaterally... on 11:38 - Dec 4 with 5563 viewsDarth_Koont

Looks like article 50 can be reversed unilaterally... on 11:25 - Dec 4 by J2BLUE

We will probably see major civil unrest if Brexit is stopped UNLESS it's via a second referendum.

We'll see major civil unrest and perhaps the break up of the Union if Brexit isn't stopped.

The risk in another referendum is too high: Many people are clearly still unswayed by the damning facts or they think that a vote to Leave will put an end to Brexit rather than actually being the start of the next decade of trade and treaty negotiations.

There's been a material change since the referendum (facts, evidence of electoral manipulation and lies, a lack of understanding in the government and the civil service, not to mention the real nature of our so-called "strong" negotiation position with the EU) that makes even the premise of the first referendum look dodgy.

Looks like article 50 can be reversed unilaterally... on 11:40 - Dec 4 with 5556 viewsGlasgowBlue

Looks like article 50 can be reversed unilaterally... on 11:38 - Dec 4 by Darth_Koont

We'll see major civil unrest and perhaps the break up of the Union if Brexit isn't stopped.

The risk in another referendum is too high: Many people are clearly still unswayed by the damning facts or they think that a vote to Leave will put an end to Brexit rather than actually being the start of the next decade of trade and treaty negotiations.

There's been a material change since the referendum (facts, evidence of electoral manipulation and lies, a lack of understanding in the government and the civil service, not to mention the real nature of our so-called "strong" negotiation position with the EU) that makes even the premise of the first referendum look dodgy.

I thought you wanted the break up of the Union?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Looks like article 50 can be reversed unilaterally... on 11:40 - Dec 4 with 5561 viewscobbler

Surely that would be a betrayal of the British public,
The EU are continuing to try and force us to do things that doesn’t seem right.
Looks like article 50 can be reversed unilaterally... on 11:52 - Dec 4 with 5533 viewslowhouseblue

Looks like article 50 can be reversed unilaterally... on 11:23 - Dec 4 by giant_stow

No, but it allows us to change our minds.

but the truth is that very few people have actually changed their minds. the argument that 'we need to be allowed to change our minds' is usually put by remainers who have not changed their minds by a tiny fraction of a nanometer.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Looks like article 50 can be reversed unilaterally... on 12:06 - Dec 4 with 5506 viewsgiant_stow

Looks like article 50 can be reversed unilaterally... on 11:52 - Dec 4 by lowhouseblue

but the truth is that very few people have actually changed their minds. the argument that 'we need to be allowed to change our minds' is usually put by remainers who have not changed their minds by a tiny fraction of a nanometer.

Is that true? I don't know... I thought the latest polls had shifted, but accept I could be wrong. What's only just becoming clear is the *actual* choice - as darth says if people still want out, so be it.

Looks like article 50 can be reversed unilaterally... on 12:10 - Dec 4 with 5496 viewslowhouseblue

Looks like article 50 can be reversed unilaterally... on 12:06 - Dec 4 by giant_stow

Is that true? I don't know... I thought the latest polls had shifted, but accept I could be wrong. What's only just becoming clear is the *actual* choice - as darth says if people still want out, so be it.

it depends what question you ask. but on the basis of in or out the polls now look very much like those just before the referendum. we are split down the middle - there is no outcome that satisfies everyone, and once you get into exact and detailed proposals there is no outcome which isn't opposed by a majority

Looks like article 50 can be reversed unilaterally... on 12:13 - Dec 4 with 5484 viewsgiant_stow

Looks like article 50 can be reversed unilaterally... on 12:10 - Dec 4 by lowhouseblue

it depends what question you ask. but on the basis of in or out the polls now look very much like those just before the referendum. we are split down the middle - there is no outcome that satisfies everyone, and once you get into exact and detailed proposals there is no outcome which isn't opposed by a majority

'no outcome which isn't opposed by a majority'

gawd, what a mess.

Looks like article 50 can be reversed unilaterally... on 12:17 - Dec 4 with 5474 viewslowhouseblue

Looks like article 50 can be reversed unilaterally... on 12:13 - Dec 4 by giant_stow

'no outcome which isn't opposed by a majority'

gawd, what a mess.

people have to compromise. i'm a remainer, but I no longer expect us to remain. a hard Brexit would be a disaster. you end up with something in between. zealots in the hard Brexit camp and the remain camp aren't offering any way forward.

Looks like article 50 can be reversed unilaterally... on 12:24 - Dec 4 with 5451 viewsHogger

Looks like article 50 can be reversed unilaterally... on 10:36 - Dec 4 by Marshalls_Mullet

Doesn't seem like news. It's always been obvious that the EU would accept a backtracking by us.

The EU did not want this to be the case - they fought against it because it would mean countries can willy-nilly go for article 50 (for isntance as political leverage) and then withdraw
Looks like article 50 can be reversed unilaterally... on 12:25 - Dec 4 with 5450 viewsDarth_Koont

Looks like article 50 can be reversed unilaterally... on 11:40 - Dec 4 by cobbler

Surely that would be a betrayal of the British public,
The EU are continuing to try and force us to do things that doesn’t seem right.

Forcing us to deal with reality seems entirely right.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024