Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New signings.... 15:00 - Dec 4 with 4871 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

When I was a kid, I wrote to George Burley (pre-emails), with a list of 5 suggested strikers we could sign.

...a few weeks later, he signed one of them. .....Mark Stein!

Now, of course..... I can only be 99% certain that he was acting on my advice.

Has anyone else ever done similar?

(Yes, I know it was lame!)

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

New signings.... on 15:02 - Dec 4 with 4226 viewsSpruceMoose

Who were your other four suggestions?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

New signings.... on 15:05 - Dec 4 with 4223 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

New signings.... on 15:02 - Dec 4 by SpruceMoose

Who were your other four suggestions?

I cant remember, I only remember that Mark Stein was on there as we signed him.

...I know we didn't sign any of the others.

I wish I could remember. It must've been 1997 though.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

New signings.... on 15:16 - Dec 4 with 4171 viewsFrimleyBlue

I mentioned a player on here a few months ago, from non league

He's been approached and has had behind closed doors trials.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

New signings.... on 15:20 - Dec 4 with 4143 viewsSpruceMoose

New signings.... on 15:16 - Dec 4 by FrimleyBlue

I mentioned a player on here a few months ago, from non league

He's been approached and has had behind closed doors trials.

Who?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

New signings.... on 15:20 - Dec 4 with 4155 viewsGooders7592

I told Roy Keane to sign me during a friendly at Bury Town when he was in charge. For some strange reason my phone never rang, who knows what might have happened that season if he did.
New signings.... on 15:22 - Dec 4 with 4122 viewsSpruceMoose

New signings.... on 15:20 - Dec 4 by Gooders7592

I told Roy Keane to sign me during a friendly at Bury Town when he was in charge. For some strange reason my phone never rang, who knows what might have happened that season if he did.

I would be quite pleased to never receive a phone call from Roy Keane personally.

New signings.... on 15:25 - Dec 4 with 4122 viewsGooders7592

New signings.... on 15:22 - Dec 4 by SpruceMoose

I would be quite pleased to never receive a phone call from Roy Keane personally.

A bullet dodged by all concerned!
New signings.... on 15:29 - Dec 4 with 4110 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Clegg would probably have paid £2m for you!!

Login to get fewer ads

New signings.... on 15:31 - Dec 4 with 4096 viewsGooders7592

New signings.... on 15:29 - Dec 4 by Marshalls_Mullet

Clegg would probably have paid £2m for you!!

I'd have been a better signing than Priskin...
New signings.... on 15:42 - Dec 4 with 4041 viewsAlexGreen

Great post! When I was a kid I wrote to George Burley too, suggesting that he play Scowcroft in midfield rather than upfront as it would take the pressure off him and he could become our playmaker. We then started the season really well (I think 97/98?) and he played Scowcroft in centre mid behind Mathie and Johnson and I was telling everyone at school it was because of me.

I still think I had a hand in it.

Poll: Who from our injured list will play the most games in 20/21

New signings.... on 15:56 - Dec 4 with 3979 viewsDeano69

Did he ever reply?

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

New signings.... on 16:03 - Dec 4 with 3949 viewsmonty_radio

I wrote to Santa last year - but he told me to be careful what I wished for.

I sent another to Hurst reminding him that if he had bought his signings at M & S we could have exchanged them after Christmas - but the letter was returned with "no longer at this address" scrawled on the back of a losing betting slip..

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

New signings.... on 16:04 - Dec 4 with 3941 viewsDeano69

New signings.... on 16:03 - Dec 4 by monty_radio

I wrote to Santa last year - but he told me to be careful what I wished for.

I sent another to Hurst reminding him that if he had bought his signings at M & S we could have exchanged them after Christmas - but the letter was returned with "no longer at this address" scrawled on the back of a losing betting slip..

If only you had asked for gift receipts

New signings.... on 16:09 - Dec 4 with 3916 viewsBlueBadger

You'd have probably been effective than Tamas Priskin and Lee Martin.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

New signings.... on 16:10 - Dec 4 with 3913 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

New signings.... on 15:56 - Dec 4 by Deano69

Did he ever reply?

Good point! No, I didnt.

I did receive replies from Craig Forrest and Stuart Slater when I wrote to them for signed posters. ;-)

New signings.... on 16:11 - Dec 4 with 3905 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

New signings.... on 15:42 - Dec 4 by AlexGreen

Great post! When I was a kid I wrote to George Burley too, suggesting that he play Scowcroft in midfield rather than upfront as it would take the pressure off him and he could become our playmaker. We then started the season really well (I think 97/98?) and he played Scowcroft in centre mid behind Mathie and Johnson and I was telling everyone at school it was because of me.

I still think I had a hand in it.

Maybe we got relegated in 2002 because people had stopped writing to George with suggestions?!

People had probably migrated to e-mail, and George wasnt tech savvy.

New signings.... on 16:11 - Dec 4 with 3904 viewsDeano69

New signings.... on 16:10 - Dec 4 by Marshalls_Mullet

Good point! No, I didnt.

I did receive replies from Craig Forrest and Stuart Slater when I wrote to them for signed posters. ;-)

Booooo, Burley Out. oh

New signings.... on 16:15 - Dec 4 with 3898 viewsLeagueOne

We have you to blame then!!!

When Ian Marshalls contract was up at Leicester in mid 1998 (was reported they wanted shot of him), I suggested to him after a away game that he'd be ideal to bring back as cover (we ended up with that Abu disaster instead I think) - he listened but he had a look on his face that said not in a million years!!

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

New signings.... on 16:18 - Dec 4 with 3887 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

New signings.... on 16:15 - Dec 4 by LeagueOne

We have you to blame then!!!

When Ian Marshalls contract was up at Leicester in mid 1998 (was reported they wanted shot of him), I suggested to him after a away game that he'd be ideal to bring back as cover (we ended up with that Abu disaster instead I think) - he listened but he had a look on his face that said not in a million years!!

Heart breaking.

An Ian Marshall return could've happened?!

I think Tony Cottee referred to Ian Marshall as the best finisher he ever played with!!

New signings.... on 16:29 - Dec 4 with 3845 viewsLeagueOne

New signings.... on 16:18 - Dec 4 by Marshalls_Mullet

Heart breaking.

An Ian Marshall return could've happened?!

I think Tony Cottee referred to Ian Marshall as the best finisher he ever played with!!

Marshall was, and still is, one of my favourite ever Ipswich Town players. It's a shame we didn't sign Mathie in the summer of 1994 instead, and had Marshall played more games we may not have been so weak in 94/95. Same with Stockwell, how comes he played so few times in 1994/5?

As for why he was sold and didn't come back I think he had faked a training ground injury during Burley's tenure which had actually occurred while he was gambling or something to that effect?

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

New signings.... on 16:53 - Dec 4 with 3794 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

New signings.... on 16:29 - Dec 4 by LeagueOne

Marshall was, and still is, one of my favourite ever Ipswich Town players. It's a shame we didn't sign Mathie in the summer of 1994 instead, and had Marshall played more games we may not have been so weak in 94/95. Same with Stockwell, how comes he played so few times in 1994/5?

As for why he was sold and didn't come back I think he had faked a training ground injury during Burley's tenure which had actually occurred while he was gambling or something to that effect?

Didnt Yallop play in place of Stockwell?

I'm sure i remember him playing well in the 3-2 win over united.

They may have beaten us 9-0 that season, but we took as many points off them as they took from us!!

New signings.... on 17:02 - Dec 4 with 3763 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

New signings.... on 16:53 - Dec 4 by Marshalls_Mullet

Didnt Yallop play in place of Stockwell?

I'm sure i remember him playing well in the 3-2 win over united.

They may have beaten us 9-0 that season, but we took as many points off them as they took from us!!

Correction.... I was thinking of this match...

New signings.... on 17:29 - Dec 4 with 3702 viewsPendejo

I wrote to the club suggesting they look at an 18 year old Charlton player back in the mid 80s... Robert Lee. Wonder what happened to his career following this snub?

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

New signings.... on 18:40 - Dec 4 with 3582 viewsPlums

I remember writing to the club as a teenager with three suggestions:
Richard Peacock of Boston United
Gareth Ainsworth and Darren Huckerby of Lincoln City. Admittedly, my scouting options were limited but two of the three had a decent career although one clearly mad bad life choices. Not sure what happened to Peacock.
[Post edited 4 Dec 2018 18:40]

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

New signings.... on 18:52 - Dec 4 with 3545 viewsDecageBruce

I wrote (emailed) the club in around Xmas 2012 when living in, and watching regularly, Swindon. Was given an email address by a contact which wasn't just to the generic email but person specific (Not MM) but a staff member.

Recommended Matt Richie and Aden Flint. Was during the Di Canio years when things were very exciting and those two looked real prospects. Head and shoulders above others in the league.

Combined fees of £800k when they moved respectively and not done bad since
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024