Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why relegation would be a financial disaster. 10:48 - Dec 5 with 10190 viewsJammyDodgerrr

As many have already stated, we would lose so much income, but what is so damning is the tweet below.

He has posted lots else - but importantly, we are already making a loss, but we would lose about £6.3M in income from TV, and TV revenue currently makes about 47% of our income. We simply would be in a complete hole if we dropped out of this league.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Why relegation would be a financial disaster. on 10:56 - Dec 6 with 2815 viewsPhilTWTD

Why relegation would be a financial disaster. on 10:52 - Dec 6 by IpswichKnight

Would the likes of Downes, Dozzell and Nydam be covered by this bit as well>

" Wage costs for Youth players on a professional contract are also excluded (i.e. players that have been in the club’s Youth Development scheme and have been given a pro contract); they must be 20 years of age or under at the start of the season to be discounted from the SCMP calculation. "

I would assume so, Lankester also of course.
Why relegation would be a financial disaster. on 11:14 - Dec 6 with 2796 viewsHarry_Palmer

Why relegation would be a financial disaster. on 10:52 - Dec 6 by IpswichKnight

Would the likes of Downes, Dozzell and Nydam be covered by this bit as well>

" Wage costs for Youth players on a professional contract are also excluded (i.e. players that have been in the club’s Youth Development scheme and have been given a pro contract); they must be 20 years of age or under at the start of the season to be discounted from the SCMP calculation. "

Good Spot. There you go, it might not be so bad after all.

Here's the plan :

Get rid of the high earners, sign a couple of big hairy ars@d L1 centre backs, re-sign Keiffer Moore from Barnsley, keep our current L1 allstars, play the yoofs...

Promotion guaranteed. Sorted.

Why relegation would be a financial disaster. on 11:15 - Dec 6 with 2797 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

It's worth looking at this from another angle though.

If we go down, there won't be many bigger clubs in League One in terms of attendance and revenue. Clubs like Pompey, Charlton, Barnsley etc. may get comparable crowds, hopefully Sunderland come back up and are out of the way by then, but the majority of clubs will get smaller crowds than us or charge less and have lower revenue.

So while we will lose the likes of Bart, Knudsen and a few others and the likes of Chambers and Skuse could well stay with renegotiated deals, we would still be one of the better payers in League One.

So we should be the equivalent to a Derby, Villa or Leeds at this level in being able to afford the top League One players. You can argue about how much we would lose but it's about where we would be against other clubs in the division, which would be towards the top end in all likeliness.

We are still going to have a much bigger wage bill than Luton, Accrington, Wycombe, Plymouth, Doncaster, Shrewsbury, Wimbledon et all, so in theory should have a better squad.

You could also make a good argument for the fact the leakage will reduce. We are not going to lose £6m - £7m in League One after all.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2018 11:25]

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Why relegation would be a financial disaster. on 11:30 - Dec 6 with 2777 viewsHarry_Palmer

Why relegation would be a financial disaster. on 11:15 - Dec 6 by WarkTheWarkITFC

If we go down, there won't be many bigger clubs in League One in terms of attendance and revenue. Clubs like Pompey, Charlton, Barnsley etc. may get comparable crowds, hopefully Sunderland come back up and are out of the way by then, but the majority of clubs will get smaller crowds than us or charge less and have lower revenue.

So while we will lose the likes of Bart, Knudsen and a few others and the likes of Chambers and Skuse could well stay with renegotiated deals, we would still be one of the better payers in League One.

So we should be the equivalent to a Derby, Villa or Leeds at this level in being able to afford the top League One players. You can argue about how much we would lose but it's about where we would be against other clubs in the division, which would be towards the top end in all likeliness.

We are still going to have a much bigger wage bill than Luton, Accrington, Wycombe, Plymouth, Doncaster, Shrewsbury, Wimbledon et all, so in theory should have a better squad.

You could also make a good argument for the fact the leakage will reduce. We are not going to lose £6m - £7m in League One after all.

Stop talking sense, we would disappear into oblivion never to be seen again, everybody know this.
Why relegation would be a financial disaster. on 11:46 - Dec 6 with 2766 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Why relegation would be a financial disaster. on 11:15 - Dec 6 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Also, IF we did come back up, we would potentially have a similar squad to what we have now, possibly better, for a much lower wage bill than currently with the increased tv money from the Championship. May even reduce the debt. No guarantee but not impossible.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Why relegation would be a financial disaster. on 13:03 - Dec 6 with 2730 viewsHarry_Palmer

Why relegation would be a financial disaster. on 11:46 - Dec 6 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Also, IF we did come back up, we would potentially have a similar squad to what we have now, possibly better, for a much lower wage bill than currently with the increased tv money from the Championship. May even reduce the debt. No guarantee but not impossible.

Positive thinking again, no place for that on this board!
Why relegation would be a financial disaster. on 13:15 - Feb 20 with 2474 viewsMaySixth

scary

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Why relegation would be a financial disaster. on 13:32 - Feb 20 with 2448 viewsDanny_G

Why relegation would be a financial disaster. on 10:28 - Dec 6 by IpswichKnight

You would hope that we have relegation clauses in players contracts so that if we are relegated the wages drop accordingly.... I know however it's ME we are talking about so they will probably rise!

Evans did say we do in the Stuart Watson interview:

‘I’ve always built in place appropriate contractual terms with players so that if we were in a league below financially it wouldn’t be a total disaster.

‘We’ve got prudent contracts in place, so from that point of view people don’t have to worry that the cub is going to find itself in a massive financial problem. We will lose substantially through TV revenue though (drop of around £7m).
The challenge will be, of course, the different type of players we could attract into that league as supposed to the players who will stay with us because they are contracted to do so.’
Login to get fewer ads

Why relegation would be a financial disaster. on 13:39 - Feb 20 with 2424 viewsericclacton

That's all well and good butt what about the hot dog vans and stuff like that??

Why relegation would be a financial disaster. on 13:51 - Feb 20 with 2382 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Why relegation would be a financial disaster. on 12:22 - Dec 5 by ElderGrizzly

There is no grace period. Our wage bill has to be that from 2019/20.

The only exception, is wages for players signed after Sept 1st in the relegation season don’t count.

Its contracts signed before 1st September actually, so long as they’re over 3 years - which means most of last Summers signings plus any existing big earners who aren’t out of contract in Summer (crucially including Bart) are excluded

That requirement shouldn’t be an issue - certainly not in the short term at least

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Why relegation would be a financial disaster. on 14:02 - Feb 20 with 2372 viewsDarth_Koont

We also need to factor in that this season (spending in the Summer was covered but our attempts to stay in the division since and the likely value of our squad next season) mean that we've probably blown a lot of the money that would have been available next year. And that's without the drop in income from being down in League One.

Unfortunately, I can see us selling a couple or more of our more highly rated youngsters to cover the shortfall and a Summer of sorting ourselves out for the League One challenge ahead (likely a few new players in and letting some players move on). That unfortunately throws up the likelihood of a tougher season and more difficulty in getting back up first time. And when you project a longer term scenario where we're preparing for several seasons in League One then the need to save money or cash in on individuals gets even more pressing.

Sorry to paint a bleak picture but relegation is how things snowball so that we legitimately end up dropping to a whole different level in the football hierarchy with expectations to match. Then you're down with the Charltons, the Portsmouths, the Coventrys wondering if you can ever get back to a level you took for granted just a few years before.

Pronouns: He/Him

Why relegation would be a financial disaster. on 14:32 - Feb 20 with 2330 viewsLeagueOne

I am glad someone on here is talking sense. The question is, how much money is Evans allowed to inject himself into the club beyond what he's allowed to now to help soften the blow? We are about to see the biggest disaster we have ever had at Ipswich Town when we drop. there will be no immediate bounceback, no walking of the league as many expect and I think Evans is going to rue the day he decided not to throw the kitchen sink at this transfer window because it's going to cost him millions more now.

Losing half of the income in a year would put any business under, let alone ITFC.

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

Why relegation would be a financial disaster. on 14:34 - Feb 20 with 2324 viewsLeagueOne

This is all total lala land stuff though, we're going to struggle massively and if we don't get promoted next season, which we won't, you can see our gates drop well below 10k soon enough. The reality is we're about to lose 50% of our income in a year. That's an unmitigated disaster no matter how you keep trying to spin it.

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

Why relegation would be a financial disaster. on 15:21 - Feb 20 with 2290 viewsRadlett_blue

Why relegation would be a financial disaster. on 11:01 - Dec 5 by clive_baker

Sure would. Relegation from the Prem allows for a bit of adjustment through the parachute payments, but we really would be up the creek if we dropped to L1. Essentially, during the 2017/2018 season our average wage bill for football staff was c. £350,000 a week. That would need to be £230,000 a week in L1 to offset the drop in broadcasting revenue. How do you go about losing £100,000 a week off the wage bill? I think we're probably part of the way there, given the departure of some high earners in the summer. Some players will have clauses which might help a little, then I would expect to see the likes of Bart, Knudsen, Chambers, Skuse, Ward, Adeyemi and Huws to leave if they're fit enough to attract any club to come in for them. Any fees received would make up the rest of the deficit plus offset any decline in ticket revenues which we will inevitably see in L1. And that's to still trade at a £6m loss where we are now. It's not impossible, but it's challenging and relies on teams coming in for those higher earners that are still in contract.

The only silver cloud I can see is that it would give an opportunity to the likes of Gerken, Kenlock, Woolfenden, Emmanuel, Bishop, Downes, Dozzell, Nydam, Lankaster, Morris etc and I have to say, that's a relatively exciting prospect to me, under the right manager (Lambert).
[Post edited 5 Dec 2018 11:03]

Knudsen, Chambers, Ward & I think Adeyemi are out of contract in the summer so if they are part of Town's League 1 plans, it will be on considerably reduced wages.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Why relegation would be a financial disaster. on 19:48 - Feb 20 with 2214 viewsSteve_D

Why relegation would be a financial disaster. on 15:21 - Feb 20 by Radlett_blue

Knudsen, Chambers, Ward & I think Adeyemi are out of contract in the summer so if they are part of Town's League 1 plans, it will be on considerably reduced wages.

Evans won't put in the money needed , within 5 yrs we will be a non league club
Why relegation would be a financial disaster. on 20:28 - Feb 20 with 2177 viewsjonathanton

Why relegation would be a financial disaster. on 19:48 - Feb 20 by Steve_D

Evans won't put in the money needed , within 5 yrs we will be a non league club

We can think about budgets but in terms of predicting success, there will be a massive squad revamp and this throws everything up in the air. Lambert must have multiple contacts and a good knowledge of players he can get. Our budget will be competitive. I trust Lambert enough to think that he can and will come up with a squad that can compete and who play as a team.

If we were going into next season with a bottom five budget I would be terrified but we won't be.
Why relegation would be a financial disaster. on 20:33 - Feb 20 with 2170 viewspeterleeblue

Why relegation would be a financial disaster. on 11:43 - Dec 5 by wkj

There would not be a sudden ground swell of people turning up because of cheaper tickets (assuming we would even get cheaper tickets). I would not be surprised if we lose a shed load more support because of being sick and tired of blindly following a club run by someone blindly running a club, who has scored a number of PR own goals.

January '15, Questionable staff decisions, rubbish managing directors who rile fans up more than quell them, botching up ticket prices and having to admit we didn't fall for it.

Evans' has tried to streamline ITFC like a business operation, and he has discovered it just doesn't operate in the same way, and long suffering fans won't suddenly make up the numbers to give Evans support until he actually does something making the experience of watching town worth it for the fans.

I don't buy into the true fans are still going logic, those of you who do are dedicated and deserve respect, as im sure many of your will follow town into L1, but many wont, and I also respect them, because we have been watching this scenario unfold for so long, and there have been some real golden opportunities missed to provide solidarity for the fans and club.

TL;DR - Yes, we'd be proper fecked.

Thats strange. I am expecting a full stadium. I heard we had our Ipswich back because we now ping it about a bit and scrape draws and that nasty dour Yorkshireman has gone.
Why relegation would be a financial disaster. on 20:33 - Feb 20 with 2170 viewsOxford_Blue

Only for Evans
Why relegation would be a financial disaster. on 21:00 - Feb 20 with 2150 viewsKeaneish

Don't worry, we get parachute payments.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Why relegation would be a financial disaster. on 21:04 - Feb 20 with 2144 viewsHARRY10

Why relegation would be a financial disaster. on 20:28 - Feb 20 by jonathanton

We can think about budgets but in terms of predicting success, there will be a massive squad revamp and this throws everything up in the air. Lambert must have multiple contacts and a good knowledge of players he can get. Our budget will be competitive. I trust Lambert enough to think that he can and will come up with a squad that can compete and who play as a team.

If we were going into next season with a bottom five budget I would be terrified but we won't be.

I think there are 18 out of contract in June, including loanees.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/ipswich-town/kader/verein/677/saison_id/2018/plus/

How much of our budget will be taken up by Hurst's league 'oneders' I dread to think, but it is going to be grim unless we bounce straight back.
Why relegation would be a financial disaster. on 21:39 - Feb 20 with 2115 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Why relegation would be a financial disaster. on 21:00 - Feb 20 by Keaneish

Don't worry, we get parachute payments.

Not sure if serious

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Why relegation would be a financial disaster. on 09:08 - Feb 21 with 1973 viewsRadlett_blue

Why relegation would be a financial disaster. on 21:04 - Feb 20 by HARRY10

I think there are 18 out of contract in June, including loanees.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/ipswich-town/kader/verein/677/saison_id/2018/plus/

How much of our budget will be taken up by Hurst's league 'oneders' I dread to think, but it is going to be grim unless we bounce straight back.

That#s broadly correct, although we have taken up an option on Sears.
With so many players out of contract, hard to see the core around whom we try to build a competitive 3rd tier side next season:
Bart (if he recovers his form & we can't get rid of his 20k a week wage).
Skuse.
And that's about it.
Can Hurst's signings be competitive in League 1? Nsiala, Nolan, Edwards, Harrison & Jackson? Hopefully, yes.
Plus a host of promising younger players.
Seems that moulding this group into a solid side will be a big job. Huge squad turnover inevitable in the summer - again!

Why relegation would be a financial disaster. on 09:14 - Feb 21 with 1967 viewsGlasgowBlue

I think most of us are starting to accept that we may go down (although there is still hope) so I’ve started looking towards the positives rather than the negatives.

We could sell Bart and get Knudsen off the wage s I’ll and I think we could have a positive season without spending a single penny in new players. It would be good to end this endless cycle of bringing in six or seven players each season.

We’d have a preferred eleven that were our players and this may help us connect more with the club again.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Why relegation would be a financial disaster. on 09:22 - Feb 21 with 1957 viewsWallingford_Boy

1. Attendances won't drop that much I would imagine, fans are fully behind Lambert and I am almost looking forward to next season already.

2. Yes we will lose a bit of TV cash, so we might make a loss of an extra £6m on income, boo hoo.... doesn't really affect anything.. does it?

3. We will offload the high earners I would imagine, focus on the kids (that want to stay) and thus reduce the wage bill significantly.

We will be fine.... chin up!

RIP Sir Bobby

Why relegation would be a financial disaster. on 09:37 - Feb 21 with 1948 viewsRadlett_blue

Why relegation would be a financial disaster. on 09:14 - Feb 21 by GlasgowBlue

I think most of us are starting to accept that we may go down (although there is still hope) so I’ve started looking towards the positives rather than the negatives.

We could sell Bart and get Knudsen off the wage s I’ll and I think we could have a positive season without spending a single penny in new players. It would be good to end this endless cycle of bringing in six or seven players each season.

We’d have a preferred eleven that were our players and this may help us connect more with the club again.

"Sell" Bart? How much might we get for someone who used to be a decent Championship keeper, but now seems to have lost his confidence completely and is on £20k a week? We'll be lucky if we could give him away if someone else was willing to match his contract.
We have umpteen players out of contract so there will definitely be huge turnover in the summer & Evans will want to cut the wage bill. That's why Lambert will be doing well if we can challenge for the League 1 play offs next season.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024