Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lee O'Neill 10:55 - Dec 5 with 1846 viewsSenatorBlue

New "General Manager of Football Operations".

Is this the Director of Football role we've needed for years, in order to; (a) reduce the managers workload, (b) connect all football operations top to bottom to aid transition, and (c) provide a strategy that identifies and puts the club and its ethos first,and before either the whims of an incoming manager (i.e. stopping the back to step 1 with every incoming manager, or stopping the fire sale of key players), and/or to challenge the owners endorsement of the aforementioned whims.

We've need a football brain at executive level for a long time (in addition to the manager), to provide what is missing in football nous with the owner and Milne. I hope this is it - or a first step towards it. My fear is that he actually has limited say/sway. Looks a wise move by ME.

I also like that in Lambert, we have a manager who appears to support/endorse this. Doubt it would have ever happened under prior incumbents. I really, really, hope he stays whatever the outcome of this season.

Apologies if this has already been done...I couldn't see that it has.
Lee O'Neill on 11:00 - Dec 5 with 1833 viewsfooters

I was wondering this too. Don't think it would be an overall strategy as PL is obviously far more qualified in that regard. As per the AGM story, his role seems to be being dogsbody to PL and attempting to get more cohesion between first team and academy.

Either way, more structure and strategy is desperately needed in whatever shape it comes in. Perhaps Phil could enlighten us more on his specific role?

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Lee O'Neill on 11:09 - Dec 5 with 1803 viewsPhilTWTD

Lee O'Neill on 11:00 - Dec 5 by footers

I was wondering this too. Don't think it would be an overall strategy as PL is obviously far more qualified in that regard. As per the AGM story, his role seems to be being dogsbody to PL and attempting to get more cohesion between first team and academy.

Either way, more structure and strategy is desperately needed in whatever shape it comes in. Perhaps Phil could enlighten us more on his specific role?

Can't really add much to what Lee said last night. I think there are some aspects of the off the field stuff that the manager has done up to now, although I think managers in recent years have had a lot of the work that previous managers - certainly Bobby Robson - moved on to other people.

Much of what would be a sporting director/director of football's role has, as I understand it, been done between Marcus - negotiating contracts, transfer deals etc - and Dave Bowman (who is actually titled the director of football but is essentially the chief scout).
Lee O'Neill on 13:01 - Dec 5 with 1674 viewsBlueBadger

He's a sports scientist by trade, I doubt it.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Lee O'Neill on 13:08 - Dec 5 with 1648 viewsfactual_blue

I think it means he puts the cones out on the training ground.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Nope, the coaching team do that.... on 13:15 - Dec 5 with 1630 viewsBloots

Lee O'Neill on 13:08 - Dec 5 by factual_blue

I think it means he puts the cones out on the training ground.

...O'Neill approves the purchase of new cones.

Vital cog.

TWTD Leadership Group: Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Anti-Bullying Crusader

Lee O'Neill on 13:39 - Dec 5 with 1598 viewsFrimleyBlue

I know I'm being a bit picky. But looking at him, he just looked like a man in a suit. Not the type who understands the football side of things.

I know that sounds daft, but for me just looked like another version of milne.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Lee O'Neill on 15:11 - Dec 5 with 1529 viewsITFCMonk

I remember reading Dave Bowman still had the DOF title not long ago, which was poor anyway as they said he was Chief Scout
Lee O'Neill on 15:14 - Dec 5 with 1523 viewsfooters

Lee O'Neill on 15:11 - Dec 5 by ITFCMonk

I remember reading Dave Bowman still had the DOF title not long ago, which was poor anyway as they said he was Chief Scout

I think I'm right in saying Bowman was only given the official title DoF because we already had someone in the Chief Scout role, just a name thing.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Login to get fewer ads

Lee O'Neill on 18:29 - Dec 5 with 1427 viewsHugoagogo

Lee O'Neill on 13:39 - Dec 5 by FrimleyBlue

I know I'm being a bit picky. But looking at him, he just looked like a man in a suit. Not the type who understands the football side of things.

I know that sounds daft, but for me just looked like another version of milne.

With all due respect, he was at the club academy as a player, went to university, then came back to ITFC and has had various roles there since. He has the advantage of being on the playing staff, technical on-field staff, academy, and now administration. I would say he has extensive knowledge and experience in a number of areas necessary to do well in the role.

As an aside, he went to school with my brother, and he's a top bloke, and bright enough to do well in the role.

I think he'll do fine.
Lee O'Neill on 18:31 - Dec 5 with 1422 viewsPhilTWTD

Lee O'Neill on 15:14 - Dec 5 by footers

I think I'm right in saying Bowman was only given the official title DoF because we already had someone in the Chief Scout role, just a name thing.

We did, Steve McCall.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024