Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... 18:01 - Dec 6 with 9102 viewsitfcjoe

.....and saying that Hurst had no choice but to overhaul the squad

"you can’t bring in 10 or 12 players in one hit, in one season, nobody does that. Two or three maybe, but not 12, and lads who are unaccustomed to playing in the league, it doesn’t make sense."

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 18:07 - Dec 6 with 5609 viewsHerbivore

That quote from Lambert, that's what you call a burn. Totally roasted Hurst there.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 18:10 - Dec 6 with 5579 viewsNo9

The actiosn of an inexperienced manager who must have interviewed well
Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 18:14 - Dec 6 with 5588 viewsPJH

It did not make sense to some of us before the season started.
Based on what was happening before a ball was kicked in anger I am not surprised that it all went so horribly wrong for Hurst who was like a kid with an increase in pocket money and let loose by his parents in the sweet shop.
The trouble now is that we are all suffering for his incompetence and are living in hope that Paul Lambert can get us out of the Hurst induced mess that we are in.
I am very confident that results will come but we have got to hope that there will be enough of them to get us clear.
I did previously think that there was only one man that could save us but now I think that there might have been two.
Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 18:23 - Dec 6 with 5554 viewsbrogansnose

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 18:14 - Dec 6 by PJH

Based on what was happening before a ball was kicked in anger I am not surprised that it all went so horribly wrong for Hurst who was like a kid with an increase in pocket money and let loose by his parents in the sweet shop.
The trouble now is that we are all suffering for his incompetence and are living in hope that Paul Lambert can get us out of the Hurst induced mess that we are in.
I am very confident that results will come but we have got to hope that there will be enough of them to get us clear.
I did previously think that there was only one man that could save us but now I think that there might have been two.

Trouble is that you only have to read any interview with Hurst to see that he's in total denial that he made any mistakes at all and throws it back on the club. The audacity and arrogance of Little Roy takes my breath away.

You don't have to be a football genius to see how all those changes were going to work out.
Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 18:32 - Dec 6 with 5522 viewsKeaneish

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 18:14 - Dec 6 by PJH

I've got no doubt he had to sell and there's no doubt a few wanted to leave so we're already looking at 3 or 4 replacements before wanting to mould his own side. That said, some transfers were complete nonsense and unecessary Jordan Graham being the stand out one.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 18:46 - Dec 6 with 5491 viewswkj

The short truth is, Hurst played this like we all play Football Manager

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 20:02 - Dec 6 with 5389 viewsITFC_Forever

Who was?

It was always clear the squad needed tuning, not a complete overhaul.

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 20:06 - Dec 6 with 5373 viewsSwansea_Blue

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 18:10 - Dec 6 by No9

The actiosn of an inexperienced manager who must have interviewed well

I don't think he even needed to interview well. ME had clearly set out his intentions and cut off his options before even speaking to him (unless he met him a lot earlier and we were spun a lie).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 20:07 - Dec 6 with 5365 viewsSpruceMoose

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 18:46 - Dec 6 by wkj

He was also managing Barcelona and sold them Freddie Sears for 200 million quid?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 20:13 - Dec 6 with 5350 viewswkj

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 20:07 - Dec 6 by SpruceMoose

He was also managing Barcelona and sold them Freddie Sears for 200 million quid?

Im sure that was his thinking when he sold Waghorn to Derby

Crybaby

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 20:15 - Dec 6 with 5341 viewsbadadski

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 20:07 - Dec 6 by SpruceMoose

If MIck would have stayed then you can guarantee that he wouldn't have let all of that experience leave regardless of what they wanted. They were under contracts and are professionals, depleting the team like that had only one outcome and we are sitting in that outcome at the moment. It was squad suicide as even if the level of players could have been replaced they would have still been new to the team and system so not as valuable.
Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 20:16 - Dec 6 with 5333 viewsSpruceMoose

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 20:15 - Dec 6 by badadski

If MIck would have stayed then you can guarantee that he wouldn't have let all of that experience leave regardless of what they wanted. They were under contracts and are professionals, depleting the team like that had only one outcome and we are sitting in that outcome at the moment. It was squad suicide as even if the level of players could have been replaced they would have still been new to the team and system so not as valuable.

Yeah, thanks a bunch numbskulls.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 20:19 - Dec 6 with 5323 viewswkj

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 20:15 - Dec 6 by badadski

I don't think the problem was as much listening to the fans and ousting Mick as much as it was listening to the fans and hiring in del boy to replace the chandeliers.

Crybaby

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 20:24 - Dec 6 with 5300 viewsDarth_Koont

At the time, I tried to make sense of all the signings (loads of mid-20s players and binning off our own kids) thinking we were embarking on some whirlwind, high-intensity rocket journey to the edge of the playoffs.

But that theory started feeling wrong in the very first game against Blackburn where we were more pedestrian than anything else.

It's a mystery what Hurst was actually thinking or how it was meant to pay off, especially considering we seemed to pay over the odds for the players too.

Pronouns: He/Him

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 20:28 - Dec 6 with 5283 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 18:23 - Dec 6 by brogansnose

Trouble is that you only have to read any interview with Hurst to see that he's in total denial that he made any mistakes at all and throws it back on the club. The audacity and arrogance of Little Roy takes my breath away.

You don't have to be a football genius to see how all those changes were going to work out.

And that’s what makes it all the worse that ME allowed it to happen.
Yes yes, you’ve got to back your manager etc, but what was stopping him and Milne saying that they couldn’t get them in because of x y or z?

God knows we’ve had enough in the door only for it to all go wrong under ME.

Hursts naivety yes, but ME should of see it happening and was frankly, complicit in our undoing.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 20:43 - Dec 6 with 5226 viewsPJH

I think McG was going to be leaving whoever was in charge whether it was MM or anyone else but I am pretty convinced that Webster,Waghorn and Garner would have still been here had MM stayed-we will never know for sure of course.
Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 21:21 - Dec 6 with 5165 viewsITFC_Forever

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 20:43 - Dec 6 by PJH

I think McG was going to be leaving whoever was in charge whether it was MM or anyone else but I am pretty convinced that Webster,Waghorn and Garner would have still been here had MM stayed-we will never know for sure of course.

Yep, McG was always going.

Waghorn, Garner and Webster could / should have stayed whoever was in charge, not just Mick.

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 21:23 - Dec 6 with 5153 viewsMullet

Hmmmm I'll not expect a queue, some who were soon changed their tune as per.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 21:46 - Dec 6 with 5096 viewsVic

Were any of us defending it, even by the end of August?

It think it was pretty clear by that stage that things weren’t actually turning out as expected and Hursts short comings and failures in the transfer market were becoming all to real.

Edit: But those comments are a real slap in the face for Hurst and show what PL thinks of the job he did here!
[Post edited 6 Dec 2018 21:47]

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 21:47 - Dec 6 with 5087 viewsOxford_Blue

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 18:46 - Dec 6 by wkj

That is probably the best description of his tenure I have heard. Simple but true.

Except when we play FM and f*** it up, we just restart.
Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 21:55 - Dec 6 with 5056 viewsPJH

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 21:21 - Dec 6 by ITFC_Forever

Yep, McG was always going.

Waghorn, Garner and Webster could / should have stayed whoever was in charge, not just Mick.

I agree that they all should still be here and I think any sensible successor to MM would have done their best to keep them here but.....

Hurst made the fact that any new signing "had not played at this level" a virtue but what we needed were players that HAD played at this level.

Paul Lambert is by his comments gradually informing anyone that did not realise it what a mess Hurst made of our club.
Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 21:57 - Dec 6 with 5048 viewsKieran_Knows

I’m not defending Hurst, but matter of fact was we lost 4 loanees from last season;
Iorfa
Celina
Connolly
CCV

Plus I think we was all in agreement about releasing;
Hyam
Gleeson
Bru

Majority of people were 50/50 on;
McGoldrick
Carayol

And it didn’t look like we had a choice in the matter when it came to (although I do appreciate a manager of Lamberts calibre may have been able to keep them here);
Webster
Waghorn
Garner

So even if you took the 3 above out, we still lost 9 players, which needed replacing. My gripe was more to do with the calibre of signing (virtually all lower league) and the sending out of youngsters afterwards which could’ve still done a job here. I’m all for picking the best 2/3 players from League 1 & 2, but not 9 or 10. Had we have replaced them with similar quality players from the Championship, we wouldn’t be in this mess.

The more I think of the summer, the more of a f*ck up it really was.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 22:03 - Dec 6 with 5024 viewsPJH

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 21:57 - Dec 6 by Kieran_Knows

I’m not defending Hurst, but matter of fact was we lost 4 loanees from last season;
Iorfa
Celina
Connolly
CCV

Hyam
Gleeson
Bru

McGoldrick
Carayol

And it didn’t look like we had a choice in the matter when it came to (although I do appreciate a manager of Lamberts calibre may have been able to keep them here);
Webster
Waghorn
Garner

So even if you took the 3 above out, we still lost 9 players, which needed replacing. My gripe was more to do with the calibre of signing (virtually all lower league) and the sending out of youngsters afterwards which could’ve still done a job here. I’m all for picking the best 2/3 players from League 1 & 2, but not 9 or 10. Had we have replaced them with similar quality players from the Championship, we wouldn’t be in this mess.

I think a fit Carayol would have been a huge asset, he was devastating on occasions last season but had all too brief time on the pitch.
I think in those flashes he looked far better than Edwards has looked for us.
I do not think anyone would have been able to keep McG here.
Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 22:07 - Dec 6 with 5008 viewsDarth_Koont

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 21:57 - Dec 6 by Kieran_Knows

Iorfa
Celina
Connolly
CCV

Hyam
Gleeson
Bru

McGoldrick
Carayol

Webster
Waghorn
Garner

We had a fair number of youngsters coming through. We lost a lot of players and always needed half-a dozen at least but we tipped over the edge when we effectively signed senior players who doubled up in almost every position.

I'm sure Downes, Dozzell, Nydam, Emmanuel, Morris, Lankester etc. could have easily been more central to the first team and bench which would have meant we could have spent the money on a little more quality in the players coming in rather than sheer quantity.

Pronouns: He/Him

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 22:24 - Dec 6 with 4970 viewsBlueyandCrazy

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 22:03 - Dec 6 by PJH

I think a fit Carayol would have been a huge asset, he was devastating on occasions last season but had all too brief time on the pitch.
I think in those flashes he looked far better than Edwards has looked for us.
I do not think anyone would have been able to keep McG here.

Could have also got Connolly and CCV back. That combined with retaining the yoofs would have significantly reduced the change around and the need for lower league signings on mass.

Chalobah I suspect was coming in anyway, and no coincidence is the best of the summer additions...

Imagine a line up of...

Bart
Connolly
Knudsen
Chambers
Webster/CCV /Woolfenden
Chalobah
Skuse
Ward / Nydam
Dozzell / Sears
Waghorn
Garner