Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brief thoughts from today 17:50 - Dec 8 with 1327 viewsCoastalblue

Just checked in, had a dump and now having a coffee before I go in search of alcohol.

I was at pitch level pretty much so not a view I'm used to and I probably missed some of the bigger picture.

I'll get the contentious bit out of the way first, I thought Jonas had a decent game and with Sears working hard and combining with him I thought we looked largely secure down our left, Lankaster also chipped in with support on occasion.

I thought Chambers and Pennington did OK, dealt with most things that came their way reasonable well even if it got a bit desperate from time to time and they both looked uncomfortable having to distribute from the back.

We were very unlucky not to go in level, Stoke found two bits of quality in the game in a way we don't have and that's what won it for them, we deserved at least a goal and very nearly had one. 0-0 at half time in a game we were growing into would have given us an extra little boost I think.

Overall I expected Stoke to boss us and us to eventually capitulate, that never happened today and we largely matched them for much of the game and shaded it for periods.

For me the single thingle thing we lack most is a presence up front. Roberts tries, I have no desire to knock him but he has neither the quality or instincts of a forward who provides an outlet. I appreciate what he tried to do today but it was asking him to do something he's just not capable of. We have lots of problems in lots of areas but if we had an Ian Marshall or Shefki type, even Alan Lee up top we would comfortably be outside the bottom three in my opinion.

My hope was that we got through to half time at 0-0 and maybe Harrison would be fit enough for the second half and give us a bit more.

Lankaster impressed me, I thought he did really well today, Nolan reminds me a bit of Ward, there's clearly a player in there but will we manage to find it.

Stoke disapointed overall, I thought they would overpower us but if I had been a home supporter I would have been nervous right until the end. I thought Shawcross looked a shadow of his former self and am disapointed we had no-one capable of really testing him, Williams on the other hand looked very good.

If we were four or five games in I'd be really hopeful, I do think we are just a couple of quality players away from being competitive, sadly we're probably too deep into the season now to hoild out too much hope, we need to go on a real run and I'm not sure we have one in us.

A decent afternoon, disapointing result but a performance that wasn't bad but that lacked real quality in and around their box.

OK, I think a beer is in order, maybe more than one.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Brief thoughts from today on 17:51 - Dec 8 with 1294 viewswkj

You failed to describe the biggest highlight of the afternoon, how was your dump?

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Brief thoughts from today on 17:53 - Dec 8 with 1258 viewsCoastalblue

Brief thoughts from today on 17:51 - Dec 8 by wkj

You failed to describe the biggest highlight of the afternoon, how was your dump?

Overdue.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.

Brief thoughts from today on 17:57 - Dec 8 with 1208 viewsDarth_Koont

Yep. Pretty much bang on from what I saw.

I thought Roberts did well with the scraps he got — and he dragged us up the pitch a few times. But yes, he's not going to threaten in the way a Nuhiu, Diedhou or Murphy in his prime would. To me he looks decent cover but we need someone else to really shoulder the burden. We're also relying on Sears, Lankester and Nolan to support him and there's not the quality there either even if Lankester did well and looked our biggest threat.

We've got to be looking at a couple of quality signings who can do some real damage in the attacking third - or who at least scare the opposition enough to free up space for others.

Pronouns: He/Him

Brief thoughts from today on 18:01 - Dec 8 with 1183 viewsCoastalblue

Brief thoughts from today on 17:57 - Dec 8 by Darth_Koont

Yep. Pretty much bang on from what I saw.

I thought Roberts did well with the scraps he got — and he dragged us up the pitch a few times. But yes, he's not going to threaten in the way a Nuhiu, Diedhou or Murphy in his prime would. To me he looks decent cover but we need someone else to really shoulder the burden. We're also relying on Sears, Lankester and Nolan to support him and there's not the quality there either even if Lankester did well and looked our biggest threat.

We've got to be looking at a couple of quality signings who can do some real damage in the attacking third - or who at least scare the opposition enough to free up space for others.

I think your last point is a big part of it, we have no threat up top and teams realise that partway into a game and then know that they can play their own game more comfortably. If we had a presence to hold the ball up or who looks like doing some damage then teams would be less happy committing men going forward.

Anyway, beer is calling.

Brief thoughts from today on 18:10 - Dec 8 with 1125 viewsRoyKeanesDog

I managed to watch it via a link and make you spot on.

Today it became apparent to me just how much Hurst ruined us. He has left us in such a worse position in a really short space of time- it's mental. The players we have bought have weakened the squad. I can't fault their workrate or attitude, unfortunately I just think they're all a bit out of their depth without more senior players accompanying them in the team.

We're doing the right things. We're playing the ball on the deck, we're pressing over the pitch, and their is a real desire there from the players. I'm not sure whether the belief is there at the moment, maybe it will be once we get a good win.

We dominated possession to such little prevail today. Everytime we got in the final third we just can't turn it into a clear cut chance. Whether it's strikers not getting in the right position, midfielders struggling to pick out a quality ball, or a combination of the both- we just seem to freeze when we find ourselves on the verge of a dangerous attack.

You're spot on about the type of striker we need. When Roberts was chasing down balls, I actually thought of Kuqi and how much more effective he was. He would run full steam to chase what seemed certain lost causes, but the fury in his charge would make the defenders buckle.

We need a striker in January more than anything. As much as we say Sears has stepped up a bit, Harrison has been unlucky and we shouldn't judge him yet, and that Jackson has showed glimpses- they're just not Championship quality strikers at the moment.

So many times before we've been frustrated with players with quality, but with no real desire- it seems as if we have the opposite now.

Massive 4 weeks. Need to turn these promising performances into points ASAP, otherwise it will be too late.

Poll: Best Football Song

Brief thoughts from today on 18:22 - Dec 8 with 1032 viewsmrshallisfit

Good post but the one thing we lack more than anything else costs the most. Our owner won't invest that kind of money. By Mms pure brilliance in the market he got round the problem some of the time. We have to hope Lambert is even better than he was. I think we have gone past the point of return this season. Whether Lambert can attract in enough talent in League One is one to watch. God we need a new and better owner.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024