Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So seems May has bottled it 12:00 - Dec 10 with 11725 viewsStokieBlue

What's the next step if she's pulled the vote as per the BBC and Bloomberg reports?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

So seems May has bottled it on 12:01 - Dec 10 with 4110 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

2nd referendum.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

So seems May has bottled it on 12:04 - Dec 10 with 4102 viewsSteve_M

How typical of her to put off something difficult, it's a large part of the reason she's in such a mess now.

Logically she would have to do one of the following:

a) announce a new date (but I fail to see how that changes anything)
b) do something really radical like change her red lines/offer new referendum
c) resign as Tory leader

It'll probably be a) and we'll repeat this in January and in the meantime, more demands for unicorns from both left and right.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

So seems May has bottled it on 12:06 - Dec 10 with 4084 viewshomer_123

Well, the EU have ruled out any further negotiations on the major points (they've always said there is likely scope within the detail). So, going back to the EU to negotiate is a non-starter.

Suspect it's about whether she can drum up further support within her party. Hope the markets bomb and it makes enough MPs nervous to vote for the deal as is.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

So seems May has bottled it on 12:07 - Dec 10 with 4074 viewsEastTownBlue

Thank goodness she is strong and stable.

The can will just be kicked further down the road.
[Post edited 10 Dec 2018 12:08]
So seems May has bottled it on 12:08 - Dec 10 with 4062 viewschicoazul

So seems May has bottled it on 12:04 - Dec 10 by Steve_M

How typical of her to put off something difficult, it's a large part of the reason she's in such a mess now.

c) resign as Tory leader

It'll probably be a) and we'll repeat this in January and in the meantime, more demands for unicorns from both left and right.

She's going to resign. We're fcked. Hard Brexit here we come.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

So seems May has bottled it on 12:08 - Dec 10 with 4065 viewsfooters

So seems May has bottled it on 12:04 - Dec 10 by Steve_M

c) resign as Tory leader

Do you think May believes more time would be helpful in convincing more to vote with her? From Gove's interview this morning he seems to believe that he's had some success in convincing more Tory MPs of the backstop's benefits.

Numerically, I can't see how even more time and a handful of converts would change anything, tho.

Maybe she just wants to put her feet up for Christmas. Poor cow, I wouldn't blame her!

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

So seems May has bottled it on 12:10 - Dec 10 with 4051 viewsfooters

So seems May has bottled it on 12:08 - Dec 10 by chicoazul

She's going to resign. We're fcked. Hard Brexit here we come.

Several commentators talking about Johnson again. If we get him, and a hard Brexit, then fck knows what's going to happen.

Happily I don't think he has the support within the HoC to really do anything.

So seems May has bottled it on 12:15 - Dec 10 with 4012 viewsStokieBlue

So seems May has bottled it on 12:08 - Dec 10 by footers

Do you think May believes more time would be helpful in convincing more to vote with her? From Gove's interview this morning he seems to believe that he's had some success in convincing more Tory MPs of the backstop's benefits.

Numerically, I can't see how even more time and a handful of converts would change anything, tho.

Maybe she just wants to put her feet up for Christmas. Poor cow, I wouldn't blame her!

I don’t see how she can get any more support, the lines have been drawn and at least 100 Tories aren’t willing to accept the backstop.

Cancelling looks incredibly weak IMHO. I would think she will be under huge pressure again now, could see those 48 letters being reached and a leadership challenge. She would have been better off losing the vote and using that to say to the EU that the deal couldn’t be implemented in its current form.

Now she just looks a bit pathetic.

GBP is reacting already.

SB

Login to get fewer ads

So seems May has bottled it on 12:18 - Dec 10 with 3972 viewsDanTheMan

Why?

Why, why, why, why, why?

Did she honestly think she was going to talk people around?

What a bloody mess.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

So seems May has bottled it on 12:18 - Dec 10 with 3969 viewsHerbivore

It just smacks of a desperate attempt to cling on. She knows the deal being defeated makes her position more or less untenable so she's delaying it for as long as possible. It's an absolute shower.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

So seems May has bottled it on 12:22 - Dec 10 with 3949 viewsEastTownBlue

More time ? She had a ridiculously lengthy general election campaign last year. The longer that went on it lost her votes.
[Post edited 10 Dec 2018 12:22]
So seems May has bottled it on 12:22 - Dec 10 with 3943 viewsGuthrum

Altho if defeat is inevitable, there really is little point in holding the vote. The government may as well move straight on to "Well, what do we do now?" without wasting any more time.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

So seems May has bottled it on 12:22 - Dec 10 with 3940 viewsgiant_stow

The only positive I can think of is that she now has more bargaining clout with the article 50 news - maybe she's gonna try and use it.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

So seems May has bottled it on 12:22 - Dec 10 with 3935 viewsPJH

So seems May has bottled it on 12:18 - Dec 10 by Herbivore

It just smacks of a desperate attempt to cling on. She knows the deal being defeated makes her position more or less untenable so she's delaying it for as long as possible. It's an absolute shower.

Bit like Hurst with his team selections.
So seems May has bottled it on 12:24 - Dec 10 with 3911 viewsfooters

So seems May has bottled it on 12:15 - Dec 10 by StokieBlue

I don’t see how she can get any more support, the lines have been drawn and at least 100 Tories aren’t willing to accept the backstop.

Cancelling looks incredibly weak IMHO. I would think she will be under huge pressure again now, could see those 48 letters being reached and a leadership challenge. She would have been better off losing the vote and using that to say to the EU that the deal couldn’t be implemented in its current form.

Now she just looks a bit pathetic.

GBP is reacting already.

SB

Indeed. Not sure what's she's going to gain from any of this. Then again, not sure what anyone could gain from being PM right now. On a human level, I feel very sorry for her. She's trying to please all the people but ending up alienating everyone. May clearly feels her deal is the best we're going to get and is in the country's best interests.

Whatever the deal is it's better than a no-deal Brexit.

As a diabetic, all this fudge must be making her sick!

So seems May has bottled it on 12:28 - Dec 10 with 3872 viewsClapham_Junction

So seems May has bottled it on 12:07 - Dec 10 by EastTownBlue

Thank goodness she is strong and stable.

The can will just be kicked further down the road.
[Post edited 10 Dec 2018 12:08]

And of course it all goes back to this:

So seems May has bottled it on 12:28 - Dec 10 with 3866 viewsSteve_M

I think it's purely a delaying tactic, there has been no deep strategic thinking coming from May for most of the last two years so why change now.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

So seems May has bottled it on 12:28 - Dec 10 with 3857 viewsfooters

So seems May has bottled it on 12:22 - Dec 10 by EastTownBlue

More time ? She had a ridiculously lengthy general election campaign last year. The longer that went on it lost her votes.
[Post edited 10 Dec 2018 12:22]

Yeah, but as a comedy show it was the year's best.

So seems May has bottled it on 12:30 - Dec 10 with 3842 viewsBlueBadger

So seems May has bottled it on 12:22 - Dec 10 by giant_stow

The only positive I can think of is that she now has more bargaining clout with the article 50 news - maybe she's gonna try and use it.

This rather assumes a level of competence and willingness to put country before career that we've yet to see.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

So seems May has bottled it on 12:33 - Dec 10 with 3816 viewsHerbivore

So seems May has bottled it on 12:24 - Dec 10 by footers

Indeed. Not sure what's she's going to gain from any of this. Then again, not sure what anyone could gain from being PM right now. On a human level, I feel very sorry for her. She's trying to please all the people but ending up alienating everyone. May clearly feels her deal is the best we're going to get and is in the country's best interests.

I want to feel sorry for her but then I remember that she consistently puts party ahead of country and so she can just do one, quite frankly. All this fudging is a result of her party being irretrievably divided over Brexit and she cannot get them into line. She lacks the backbone to do anything drastic to move it forward because she knows it jeopardizes her position as PM and potentially the Tories' position as the governing party. This mess started as a Tory party issue and it has continued to be essentially about internal party politics. It's shameful stuff.

So seems May has bottled it on 12:33 - Dec 10 with 3819 viewsStokieBlue

So seems May has bottled it on 12:28 - Dec 10 by footers

Yeah, but as a comedy show it was the year's best.

I think it was surpassed by the excellent conference speech where she couldn't actually talk and the letters kept falling down.

SB

So seems May has bottled it on 12:36 - Dec 10 with 3788 viewsBlueBadger

So seems May has bottled it on 12:22 - Dec 10 by PJH

Bit like Hurst with his team selections.

In this analogy this would make David Cameron Roy Keane - incompetent but good with pressers and inexplicably popular with fools. Jezza is still Jewell - patently incompetent and liked by fools mainly because he's Not That Other Nasty Man.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

So seems May has bottled it on 12:37 - Dec 10 with 3783 viewsHerbivore

So seems May has bottled it on 12:36 - Dec 10 by BlueBadger

In this analogy this would make David Cameron Roy Keane - incompetent but good with pressers and inexplicably popular with fools. Jezza is still Jewell - patently incompetent and liked by fools mainly because he's Not That Other Nasty Man.

I'd say Jewell is more BoJo.

So seems May has bottled it on 12:39 - Dec 10 with 3762 viewshomer_123

So seems May has bottled it on 12:33 - Dec 10 by StokieBlue

I think it was surpassed by the excellent conference speech where she couldn't actually talk and the letters kept falling down.

SB

Strong and stable right there.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

So seems May has bottled it on 12:43 - Dec 10 with 3733 viewsDarth_Koont

So seems May has bottled it on 12:24 - Dec 10 by footers

No real sympathy from me. She blew it by being far too gung ho and almost talking up a hard Brexit as soon as she took over after Cameron.

That was the time for a little more circumspection and balance. We've been suffering from that posturing for the last 2.5 years ... through the appointment of an incompetent Brexit team, an unnecessary GE and an inevitable catastrophic negotiation and weak deal that's a lot worse than remaining in the EU. Meanwhile the pound, trade and industry, and our reputation overseas have all taken a bit of a hammering.

And it's been so all-consuming it seems that real government of the many other issues facing people in this country has been put on the back burner or will just be ignored behind the smokescreen of Brexit.

Worst Prime Minister Ever.

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024