Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I'm just going to leave this here... 15:37 - Dec 10 with 26963 viewsHerbivore

...as it's an interesting and honest read from David Mitchell: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/dec/09/my-beef-with-vegans-says-m

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

I'm just going to leave this here... on 08:58 - Dec 12 with 2254 viewsDanTheMan

I'm just going to leave this here... on 08:49 - Dec 12 by jjblue84

It’s not a choice, the law is being threatened...one day it will sink in...

So, just to get things straight, it's about the rights of hospitals to not serve vegan food that's at stake?

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

I'm just going to leave this here... on 09:15 - Dec 12 with 2244 viewsHerbivore

I'm just going to leave this here... on 08:58 - Dec 12 by DanTheMan

So, just to get things straight, it's about the rights of hospitals to not serve vegan food that's at stake?

Where to even begin with that!

I'm just going to leave this here... on 09:50 - Dec 12 with 2226 viewsjjblue84

I'm just going to leave this here... on 08:58 - Dec 12 by DanTheMan

It’s about the rights of non-vegans being affected by vegans.... either may be right or wrong! But they certainly clash, so don’t pretend they don’t....
I'm just going to leave this here... on 09:53 - Dec 12 with 2226 viewseireblue

I'm just going to leave this here... on 09:50 - Dec 12 by jjblue84

It’s about the rights of non-vegans being affected by vegans.... either may be right or wrong! But they certainly clash, so don’t pretend they don’t....

I don’t know of a chef that has an ethical objection to cooking a vegetable.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2018 9:54]
I'm just going to leave this here... on 10:02 - Dec 12 with 2212 viewsHerbivore

How do they clash? A hospital offering vegan food isn't an example by the way, a hospital isn't a rights-bearing individual.

I'm just going to leave this here... on 10:08 - Dec 12 with 2209 viewsBrixtonBlue

I'm just going to leave this here... on 23:39 - Dec 11 by caught-in-limbo

I don't agree with your use of the word "conspiracy", not because you have necessarily used it incorrectly, but because it is usually used incorrectly and has come to mean something else. I deliberately avoided the word but you have applied it to my comments.

I would say that my own diet is largely vegan. I certainly eat one vegan meal a day, sometimes two. I have no qualms about buying cow's milk however, which I buy raw from a local farmer. The meat I buy is also from small local farmers, I know what the animals eat and how they live (but not how they die).

I appreciate the enormous efforts that having a vegan lifestyle entails, and I only know the half of it, - the diet side.

The commitment towards a vegan existence is not taken lightly - it certainly doesn't bear the hallmarks of being a fad. While veganism isn't new, I suspect the number of vegans has risen exponentially in the last few years and that surprises me in view of the efforts required to live such a lifestyle. There is certainly a lot of vegan lifestyle promotion going on, especially in the UK, and it's true that promoting a vegan lifestyle goes against the interests of big business. So, I'm a little curious as to why the media is giving such a generous platform to veganism.

Print media is not high profit and is often loss making, For that reason the press generally looks after its sponsors (preferring not to promote stuff which is anathema to the interests of big business).

All profit-making businesses do what they can create the conditions where profits are maximised - influencing public opinion through the media is an obvious part of their marketing strategy - you don't have to see it as a conspiracy to accept that.

I'm using the term conspiracy as in plotting or conspiring. I don't see why "big business" is more likely to conspire in favour of veganism when they can make plenty of money out of meat based products.

I think you're overthinking. Veganism is trendy right now. That's largely why it's in the media IMO.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

I'm just going to leave this here... on 11:12 - Dec 12 with 2190 viewsmonytowbray

I'm just going to leave this here... on 08:49 - Dec 12 by jjblue84

It’s not a choice, the law is being threatened...one day it will sink in...

Wha specific law is being threatened?

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

I'm just going to leave this here... on 11:13 - Dec 12 with 2187 viewsDanTheMan

Right you've reverted back to a different argument now, so I'll ask again, specifically which rights of non-vegans are affected by hospitals providing vegans meals?

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Login to get fewer ads

I'm just going to leave this here... on 11:26 - Dec 12 with 2179 viewscaught-in-limbo

I'm just going to leave this here... on 10:08 - Dec 12 by BrixtonBlue

I'm using the term conspiracy as in plotting or conspiring. I don't see why "big business" is more likely to conspire in favour of veganism when they can make plenty of money out of meat based products.

I think you're overthinking. Veganism is trendy right now. That's largely why it's in the media IMO.

You could well be right. Veganism being promoted in the press in this way, while being a worthwhile thing to do, makes no sense to me. Perhaps it's not big business that's doing it. Perhaps it's just a newspaper innocently reporting the rise in popularity of a healthy lifestyle. I have my doubts, but I could be over-thinking as you say.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

I'm just going to leave this here... on 11:52 - Dec 12 with 2166 viewsHerbivore

I'm just going to leave this here... on 11:26 - Dec 12 by caught-in-limbo

You could well be right. Veganism being promoted in the press in this way, while being a worthwhile thing to do, makes no sense to me. Perhaps it's not big business that's doing it. Perhaps it's just a newspaper innocently reporting the rise in popularity of a healthy lifestyle. I have my doubts, but I could be over-thinking as you say.

It's an irreverent column by a well-known comedian. It's arguable whether it is even promoting veganism, it seems more a meat eater's personal reflection on how the rise in veganism makes them feel. You're definitely over-thinking it.

I'm just going to leave this here... on 12:38 - Dec 12 with 2151 viewsjjblue84

I'm just going to leave this here... on 10:02 - Dec 12 by Herbivore

How do they clash? A hospital offering vegan food isn't an example by the way, a hospital isn't a rights-bearing individual.

Where vegans are bringing the law to force other people who disagree with them to do as they say...got it yet??
I'm just going to leave this here... on 12:41 - Dec 12 with 2147 viewsBrixtonBlue

I'm just going to leave this here... on 12:38 - Dec 12 by jjblue84

Where vegans are bringing the law to force other people who disagree with them to do as they say...got it yet??

Where is this happening?! Please link to some evidence of a law that was brought about by vegans.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

I'm just going to leave this here... on 12:43 - Dec 12 with 2146 viewsmonytowbray

I'll ask again - what specific "law(s)" are you talking about? Who are they oppressing?

No vegans are bring in laws that deny anyone of any rights, we just want the basic fundamental human right to eat in places where this is no consumer choice (such as hospitals, prisons, schools, etc). Is there anything else to it than that in your odd view?
[Post edited 12 Dec 2018 12:45]

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

I'm just going to leave this here... on 13:16 - Dec 12 with 2126 viewstampa_bay

Are you suggesting that hospitals, schools and prisons are being forced to ONLY provide vegan meals? That's the only possible way any of your comments make any sense.
I'm just going to leave this here... on 17:08 - Dec 12 with 2091 viewsHerbivore

Obvious troll is obvious. Must try harder.

I'm just going to leave this here... on 17:20 - Dec 12 with 2089 viewscaught-in-limbo

I'm just going to leave this here... on 11:52 - Dec 12 by Herbivore

It's an irreverent column by a well-known comedian. It's arguable whether it is even promoting veganism, it seems more a meat eater's personal reflection on how the rise in veganism makes them feel. You're definitely over-thinking it.

Fair enough, but I'd say you're under-thinking it.

Mitchell is a bright lad and for him to begrudgingly admit "they might be right" in the Guardian is a huge boost for veganism.

Probably it's just the press doing their bit to keep yet another apparently divisive topic alive and well for a good stoking not far down the line.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

I'm just going to leave this here... on 17:26 - Dec 12 with 2083 viewsHerbivore

I'm just going to leave this here... on 17:20 - Dec 12 by caught-in-limbo

Fair enough, but I'd say you're under-thinking it.

Mitchell is a bright lad and for him to begrudgingly admit "they might be right" in the Guardian is a huge boost for veganism.

Probably it's just the press doing their bit to keep yet another apparently divisive topic alive and well for a good stoking not far down the line.

Whatevs.

I'm just going to leave this here... on 20:21 - Dec 12 with 2059 viewsjjblue84

I'm just going to leave this here... on 11:13 - Dec 12 by DanTheMan

Right you've reverted back to a different argument now, so I'll ask again, specifically which rights of non-vegans are affected by hospitals providing vegans meals?

Nope, that’s been my argument all along...
I'm just going to leave this here... on 20:49 - Dec 12 with 2043 viewseireblue

I'm just going to leave this here... on 17:26 - Dec 12 by Herbivore

Whatevs.

Ohhhh, I don’t know.

A comedian, in the Guardian, not turning vegan and saying they like sausages, this could be the big break through.

No wonder the milk marketing board have engineered a leadership election today.
I'm just going to leave this here... on 20:59 - Dec 12 with 2033 viewsHerbivore

I'm just going to leave this here... on 20:49 - Dec 12 by eireblue

Ohhhh, I don’t know.

A comedian, in the Guardian, not turning vegan and saying they like sausages, this could be the big break through.

No wonder the milk marketing board have engineered a leadership election today.

Him saying he likes sausages is a blatant nod to the global corps behind lab grown meat.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024