Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Worse Result in Town History (with nod to Garv for the video) 20:27 - Dec 10 with 8161 viewsKeno

Swansea this season - Hurst keeps job

Barnsley win away -Jewell keeps job

Leicester win in the snow on Sky - Keane keeps job

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Worse Result in Town History (with nod to Garv for the video) on 12:36 - Dec 11 with 1226 viewsJDB23

Worse Result in Town History (with nod to Garv for the video) on 07:56 - Dec 11 by Herbivore

Think the back to back losses in 04/05 to (I think?) QPR and Watford have to be up their as the most damaging. We were looking very good for automatic promotion for a lot of that season and then threw it away in a wobbly spell and haven't really come close to going back up since. Wigan went up instead and spent a decade in the top flight and won the FA Cup.

I think we were still in contention later into the season but then we had Wolves away. I seem to remember BFJ changing the system/personnel for this game for absolutely no reason and we end up getting dicked and that effectively put an end to our automatic hopes. Was gutted after that one.
Worse Result in Town History (with nod to Garv for the video) on 18:23 - Dec 11 with 1163 viewsstrikalite

Peterborough away..

I can't even bring myself to type the score...

Worst day ever with a PE2 postcode..
Worse Result in Town History (with nod to Garv for the video) on 18:34 - Dec 11 with 1159 viewsSuperfrans

I get the point about the Swansea match, but if we had lost that game we would now have just 8 points, would be 11 points from safety and even more screwed than we currently are.

Worst result for me is the 6-0 home defeat vs Liverpool in February 2002. They (notably Michael Owen) utterly destroyed us that day, ending a run of four consecutive wins.

After that game, we had 12 matches left in the league - we ended up getting 6 pts from a possible 36, losing 8 times and winning just 1 more time. We went down by losing again vs Liverpool on the last day of the season, 5-0 at their place. That was the last time we played in the Premiership.

God, that makes me feel depressed...

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Worse Result in Town History (with nod to Garv for the video) on 18:39 - Dec 11 with 1155 viewsPJH

Worse Result in Town History (with nod to Garv for the video) on 18:34 - Dec 11 by Superfrans

I get the point about the Swansea match, but if we had lost that game we would now have just 8 points, would be 11 points from safety and even more screwed than we currently are.

Worst result for me is the 6-0 home defeat vs Liverpool in February 2002. They (notably Michael Owen) utterly destroyed us that day, ending a run of four consecutive wins.

After that game, we had 12 matches left in the league - we ended up getting 6 pts from a possible 36, losing 8 times and winning just 1 more time. We went down by losing again vs Liverpool on the last day of the season, 5-0 at their place. That was the last time we played in the Premiership.

God, that makes me feel depressed...

Your first point is of course logically correct but IF we had lost at Swansea and IF Hurst had gone earlier and therefore IF Lambert had come in earlier we might have got those three points and more by now.

Regarding the rest of your post I remember us winning at Derby and looking on the verge of being safe but it all went very wrong after that.
Worse Result in Town History (with nod to Garv for the video) on 18:51 - Dec 11 with 1148 viewsSuperfrans

Worse Result in Town History (with nod to Garv for the video) on 18:39 - Dec 11 by PJH

Your first point is of course logically correct but IF we had lost at Swansea and IF Hurst had gone earlier and therefore IF Lambert had come in earlier we might have got those three points and more by now.

Regarding the rest of your post I remember us winning at Derby and looking on the verge of being safe but it all went very wrong after that.

Yes, the Derby game was two weeks before Liverpool. We’d been on a fantastic run. And I remember seeing us beat Sunderland 5-0 at Portman Road (that Finidi George goal... swoon...) and thinking there was no way we could go down. We were just too good. But it all fell apart after that Liverpool game.

I know where you are coming from re. the Swansea match, but I can’t see us having got more than 3 points extra before Lambert came in, so the two kind of cancel each other out. Anyway, it’s all speculation, we’ll never know...

Worse Result in Town History (with nod to Garv for the video) on 19:08 - Dec 11 with 1140 viewsRadlett_blue

Worse Result in Town History (with nod to Garv for the video) on 18:51 - Dec 11 by Superfrans

Yes, the Derby game was two weeks before Liverpool. We’d been on a fantastic run. And I remember seeing us beat Sunderland 5-0 at Portman Road (that Finidi George goal... swoon...) and thinking there was no way we could go down. We were just too good. But it all fell apart after that Liverpool game.

I know where you are coming from re. the Swansea match, but I can’t see us having got more than 3 points extra before Lambert came in, so the two kind of cancel each other out. Anyway, it’s all speculation, we’ll never know...

I found it amazing how that Liverpool game seemed to drain all confidence from a reasonable group of players who'd been on a decent run before. Was an odd game; Liverpool took the lead with a deflection, Sixto so nearly equalised (amazing save) & then Liverpool kept hitting us on the break.
The performance in the next game, 2 weeks later, when we capitulated at home to a very ordinary Southampton side was too putrid for words & set the scene for the rest of the season.
When the fixture list came out, I felt having the last 3 games of the season against Man U, Arsenal & Liverpool would hurt us and it did.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Worse Result in Town History (with nod to Garv for the video) on 19:15 - Dec 11 with 1136 viewsSuperfrans

Worse Result in Town History (with nod to Garv for the video) on 19:08 - Dec 11 by Radlett_blue

I found it amazing how that Liverpool game seemed to drain all confidence from a reasonable group of players who'd been on a decent run before. Was an odd game; Liverpool took the lead with a deflection, Sixto so nearly equalised (amazing save) & then Liverpool kept hitting us on the break.
The performance in the next game, 2 weeks later, when we capitulated at home to a very ordinary Southampton side was too putrid for words & set the scene for the rest of the season.
When the fixture list came out, I felt having the last 3 games of the season against Man U, Arsenal & Liverpool would hurt us and it did.

Yes, I agree. Liverpool were fantastic that day. Just so clinical. They destroyed us.

If also remember sitting in the Sir Alf Ramsey stand (because the Sir Bobby Robson was being rebuilt) and getting really pi$$ed off by how many Liverpool fans were in the home sections. One of the genuine negatives of being in the Prem.

Worse Result in Town History (with nod to Garv for the video) on 23:27 - Dec 11 with 1103 viewsBcarefulwhatUWish4

My dad always talked about the 10-1 hammering by Fulham. Came on Boxing Day during a nice, relaxing Xmas period.
Login to get fewer ads

Worse Result in Town History (with nod to Garv for the video) on 23:35 - Dec 11 with 1099 viewsSuperfrans

Worse Result in Town History (with nod to Garv for the video) on 23:27 - Dec 11 by BcarefulwhatUWish4

My dad always talked about the 10-1 hammering by Fulham. Came on Boxing Day during a nice, relaxing Xmas period.

Weirdly, we beat Fulham 4-2 just a couple of days later too, I believe...

I think we also conceded 6 goals in 7 different matches that season - including a 9-1 defeat at Stoke. We conceded over 120 goals that season.

And we think we’re bad now... 😂

Worse Result in Town History (with nod to Garv for the video) on 07:39 - Dec 12 with 1077 viewsITFC_Forever

Worse Result in Town History (with nod to Garv for the video) on 20:53 - Dec 10 by BlueBadger

Bolton away 01/02. A humiliating defeat that all but sealed our doomed and plunged us into the following 18 years(and counting) of mediocrity.

This.

We have never recovered from that defeat.

Everything about it, from the result itself to the manner in which we lost and the long-term effects it has had on the club makes this match the only answer to this question.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Worse Result in Town History (with nod to Garv for the video) on 08:02 - Dec 12 with 1064 viewsSteve_M

Worse Result in Town History (with nod to Garv for the video) on 19:08 - Dec 11 by Radlett_blue

Yes, Burley made an odd substitution early replacing, I think, Jamma with Armstrong which left us with limited possession. He eventually brought Magilton on and he kept the ball better but it was too late.

The Southampton match was equally bad, it didn't help that it was about three weeks later but if being ripped apart by an in-form Owen and Heskey was one thing, having Chris Marsden do the same was embarrassing.

Those two and Bolton. FFS.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Worse Result in Town History (with nod to Garv for the video) on 08:04 - Dec 12 with 1062 viewsKeno

Worse Result in Town History (with nod to Garv for the video) on 08:02 - Dec 12 by Steve_M

Yes, Burley made an odd substitution early replacing, I think, Jamma with Armstrong which left us with limited possession. He eventually brought Magilton on and he kept the ball better but it was too late.

The Southampton match was equally bad, it didn't help that it was about three weeks later but if being ripped apart by an in-form Owen and Heskey was one thing, having Chris Marsden do the same was embarrassing.

Those two and Bolton. FFS.

Is that the Liverpool 6-0?

I was out with the kids that day and texted my nephew to ask the result. His text said 6-0 to which I replied 'wow we beat Liverpool 6-0

he sent a 2 word reply

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Worse Result in Town History (with nod to Garv for the video) on 09:13 - Dec 12 with 1049 viewsPJH

Worse Result in Town History (with nod to Garv for the video) on 23:35 - Dec 11 by Superfrans

Weirdly, we beat Fulham 4-2 just a couple of days later too, I believe...

I think we also conceded 6 goals in 7 different matches that season - including a 9-1 defeat at Stoke. We conceded over 120 goals that season.

And we think we’re bad now... 😂

That 4-2 home win against Fulham was played partly in fog.I was right at the front of Churchman's but at times you could not see what the hell was happening down the other end of the ground.
That season was Jackie Milburn's only full season in charge and started and ended with wins but there were only 7 more League wins in between.
We did have a few good players-Gerry Baker scored 18 goals in 22 matches-but it was a side made up of partly aging League winners(except Billy Baxter was still young)and mostly poor Jackie Milburn signings.
Sir Alf only made one signing of any significance after the winning of The League(Bobby Blackwood)so Jackie Milburn was left with a lot to do but regrettably he mostly did not do it very well.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024