Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This is good on journalism and racism and Raheem Sterling 08:20 - Dec 11 with 2745 viewsSteve_M

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/dec/10/raheem-sterling-manchester-city

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

This is good on journalism and racism and Raheem Sterling on 08:39 - Dec 11 with 2707 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Really great quote in there of:
“But we cannot ignore the fact elements of the newspaper industry propagate covert and overt racism. Not against ALL young, black footballers but those who don’t fit into an historic white, middle class view of ‘knowing their place.’”

Nails it for me. During the WC I suggested a lot of the flack Sterling got was due to his skin colour - the natural retort seemed to be that it wasn’t racist as people wanted Rashford instead, but the above sums up why that doesn’t make a difference, IMO

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

This is good on journalism and racism and Raheem Sterling on 08:54 - Dec 11 with 2688 viewsSteve_M

This is good on journalism and racism and Raheem Sterling on 08:39 - Dec 11 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

“But we cannot ignore the fact elements of the newspaper industry propagate covert and overt racism. Not against ALL young, black footballers but those who don’t fit into an historic white, middle class view of ‘knowing their place.’”

Nails it for me. During the WC I suggested a lot of the flack Sterling got was due to his skin colour - the natural retort seemed to be that it wasn’t racist as people wanted Rashford instead, but the above sums up why that doesn’t make a difference, IMO

It's the new "some of my best friends are black".

I do think there was an element of football scapegoating with Sterling in the Summer as well, the one player people focused on every mistake made but the reason players become a scapegoat vary. In this case, tabloid perception shaped that.

The other telling point, was Taylor's about the press conference for a mother with a missing child and the inherent lack of sympathy because she didn't fit the concept of a poor lady tabloid readers would feel sorry for.

Although I wonder there whether that is truly the case or reflects the mentalities and prejudices of senior figures within those papers (hello Rupert and Dacre) rather than of readers.

This is good on journalism and racism and Raheem Sterling on 11:16 - Dec 11 with 2603 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

This is good on journalism and racism and Raheem Sterling on 08:54 - Dec 11 by Steve_M

It's the new "some of my best friends are black".

I do think there was an element of football scapegoating with Sterling in the Summer as well, the one player people focused on every mistake made but the reason players become a scapegoat vary. In this case, tabloid perception shaped that.

The other telling point, was Taylor's about the press conference for a mother with a missing child and the inherent lack of sympathy because she didn't fit the concept of a poor lady tabloid readers would feel sorry for.

Although I wonder there whether that is truly the case or reflects the mentalities and prejudices of senior figures within those papers (hello Rupert and Dacre) rather than of readers.

Yeah I would agree - I don’t think everyone slamming him was inherently racist but in some cases I think subconsciously it is, and it is definitely shaped by the press coverage towards him

On the latter point it’s not just race - the coverage of Madeline McCann for example would have been very different if it had been a working class family for example (council mum goes out to get drunk leaving daughter alone...), without wishing to open that particular can of worms!

This is good on journalism and racism and Raheem Sterling on 11:45 - Dec 11 with 2577 viewsitfcjoe

This is good on journalism and racism and Raheem Sterling on 08:39 - Dec 11 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Reminds me of the brilliant book about Muhammad Ali by David Remnick - King of the World.

Goes into deails about Floyd Patterson ("a good negro") and Sonny Liston ("a bad negro"). Liston would date white women, not be subservient to the powers that be and viewed himself as 'one of them', but never was- explores how Ali had both elements but force of personality pushed him over the top.

Probably haven't explained that very well, but it is well worth a read think it was voted by the Times as best Sports book of all time

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

This is good on journalism and racism and Raheem Sterling on 11:52 - Dec 11 with 2563 viewsStokieBlue

Mings has pulled out of an interview on Talksport in protest over their coverage.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46520506

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

This is good on journalism and racism and Raheem Sterling on 11:52 - Dec 11 with 2562 viewsfooters

Here's the Sun's 'Telling It Like It Is' comment on the media and Sterling:

"LET’S get something straight.The racist abuse of Raheem Sterling at Chelsea is not somehow The Sun’s fault.

We hope those allegedly responsible get what they deserve.

We hugely admire Sterling’s talent.Our coverage of his off-field behaviour has nothing to do with skin colour. The suggestion is ridiculous and offensive – and the idea it inspired racists is baseless.

His media mates should engage their brains before dishing out accusations without a shred of evidence."

I know I shouldn't expect anything more from such a sh1tty 'newspaper' but this is a stunning lack of self-awareness and responsibility. Thankfully most Sun readers just look at the pictures but it's a dangerous precedent nonetheless.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

This is good on journalism and racism and Raheem Sterling on 12:09 - Dec 11 with 2519 viewssoupytwist

Of course Squires was going to be excellent on the subject but this is really good:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2018/dec/11/david-squires-on
This is good on journalism and racism and Raheem Sterling on 12:16 - Dec 11 with 2491 viewsCoachRob

This is good on journalism and racism and Raheem Sterling on 11:52 - Dec 11 by footers

"LET’S get something straight.The racist abuse of Raheem Sterling at Chelsea is not somehow The Sun’s fault.

We hugely admire Sterling’s talent.Our coverage of his off-field behaviour has nothing to do with skin colour. The suggestion is ridiculous and offensive – and the idea it inspired racists is baseless.

His media mates should engage their brains before dishing out accusations without a shred of evidence."

I know I shouldn't expect anything more from such a sh1tty 'newspaper' but this is a stunning lack of self-awareness and responsibility. Thankfully most Sun readers just look at the pictures but it's a dangerous precedent nonetheless.

I doubt it is a "lack of self-awareness and responsibility" more an agenda they are trying to convey to their readers as to why their lives are so sh1t.
Login to get fewer ads

This is good on journalism and racism and Raheem Sterling on 12:17 - Dec 11 with 2490 viewsWD19

There is definitely something in this, but it is generally tricky because it is often interwoven with prejudice against 'a person that behaves like a bell' versus a 'squeaky clean choirboy that loves his mum' type. Skin colour doesn't necessarily come into that.
This is good on journalism and racism and Raheem Sterling on 12:18 - Dec 11 with 2484 viewsfooters

This is good on journalism and racism and Raheem Sterling on 12:16 - Dec 11 by CoachRob

I doubt it is a "lack of self-awareness and responsibility" more an agenda they are trying to convey to their readers as to why their lives are so sh1t.

It's the season of goodwill... I was trying to be charitable!

This is good on journalism and racism and Raheem Sterling on 12:22 - Dec 11 with 2477 viewsSteve_M

This is good on journalism and racism and Raheem Sterling on 11:52 - Dec 11 by footers

Ah, yes. The coverage of Sterling buying his Mum a house or flying on Easyjet was directly related to his off-field behaviour.

This is good on journalism and racism and Raheem Sterling on 12:36 - Dec 11 with 2438 viewsNo_Moore_Kieffer

There's also then the flip-side of this, where Anthony Joshua has been made the media golden boy of British boxing, despite being a former convicted drug dealer. Yet, because he's come into a "politically incorrect" sport which isn't in the public eye as much, he doesn't get the bashing in the media that Sterling does - and I'm not saying that he should.

It's just bizarre that two black British sport stars are portrayed at totally opposite ends of the spectrum in our media.

For comparison, the papers made negative 'stories' about Sterling buying his mum a house to repay everything she did for him, whilst they made positive comments after Joshua once said in an interview that he still lived in his childhood flat with his mum - can you imagine if that was the other way around? "England ace still relying on mum to accommodate him despite earning xyz A WEEK".

Both are at the top of their game, boosting British sports and helping to achieve for the country, yet the one coming into a sport 'for everyone' with no previous run-ins and only has good intentions is slated, whilst the one who's had dealings with the law and used boxing to change is praised to high Heaven.
This is good on journalism and racism and Raheem Sterling on 12:37 - Dec 11 with 2429 viewsfooters

This is good on journalism and racism and Raheem Sterling on 12:36 - Dec 11 by No_Moore_Kieffer

There's also then the flip-side of this, where Anthony Joshua has been made the media golden boy of British boxing, despite being a former convicted drug dealer. Yet, because he's come into a "politically incorrect" sport which isn't in the public eye as much, he doesn't get the bashing in the media that Sterling does - and I'm not saying that he should.

It's just bizarre that two black British sport stars are portrayed at totally opposite ends of the spectrum in our media.

For comparison, the papers made negative 'stories' about Sterling buying his mum a house to repay everything she did for him, whilst they made positive comments after Joshua once said in an interview that he still lived in his childhood flat with his mum - can you imagine if that was the other way around? "England ace still relying on mum to accommodate him despite earning xyz A WEEK".

Both are at the top of their game, boosting British sports and helping to achieve for the country, yet the one coming into a sport 'for everyone' with no previous run-ins and only has good intentions is slated, whilst the one who's had dealings with the law and used boxing to change is praised to high Heaven.

Have you just watched the Frank Warren interview by any chance?

This is good on journalism and racism and Raheem Sterling on 12:39 - Dec 11 with 2425 viewschicoazul

That's the Sun telling everyone to look at the Mail though who, to be fair, are much much worse at this stuff, especially Online.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

This is good on journalism and racism and Raheem Sterling on 12:46 - Dec 11 with 2391 viewsNo_Moore_Kieffer

This is good on journalism and racism and Raheem Sterling on 12:37 - Dec 11 by footers

Have you just watched the Frank Warren interview by any chance?

Nope, I've not watched any boxing interviews at all since last week! What's he said?
This is good on journalism and racism and Raheem Sterling on 12:48 - Dec 11 with 2383 viewsGeoffSentence

Without wishing to discredit the theory, I would be interested to know why Rashford fits in to the 'knows his place' niche, but Sterling doesn't.

It is an interesting perspective and does explain a lot, but what are the characteristics that make one person 'acceptable' and another not?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

This is good on journalism and racism and Raheem Sterling on 12:49 - Dec 11 with 2376 viewsfooters

This is good on journalism and racism and Raheem Sterling on 12:46 - Dec 11 by No_Moore_Kieffer

Nope, I've not watched any boxing interviews at all since last week! What's he said?

Almost word for word about Joshua/Fury and SPOTY. As I'd just heard him saying it five minutes ago it was pretty freaky to read almost the exact same on here. Ha.

This is good on journalism and racism and Raheem Sterling on 12:57 - Dec 11 with 2357 viewsNo_Moore_Kieffer

This is good on journalism and racism and Raheem Sterling on 12:49 - Dec 11 by footers

Almost word for word about Joshua/Fury and SPOTY. As I'd just heard him saying it five minutes ago it was pretty freaky to read almost the exact same on here. Ha.

Blimey, I'll have to give it a listen - much prefer Warren and Fury to Hearn and AJ myself!

At least it shows I'm not the only one who sees the complete hypocrisy of the Sterling situation though.

Alternative theory: Frank Warren posts to TWTD under the username 'No_Moore_Kieffer'
This is good on journalism and racism and Raheem Sterling on 12:57 - Dec 11 with 2356 viewschicoazul

This is good on journalism and racism and Raheem Sterling on 12:48 - Dec 11 by GeoffSentence

Without wishing to discredit the theory, I would be interested to know why Rashford fits in to the 'knows his place' niche, but Sterling doesn't.

It is an interesting perspective and does explain a lot, but what are the characteristics that make one person 'acceptable' and another not?

Rashford is a nice quiet middle class northern boy who one hardly ever sees snarling or growling away on the pitch.
Sterling is utterly ruthless on the pitch, a Londoner, has a tattoo of a gun, everyone thinks he has dozens of kids (he doesnt), forced a move away from Liverpool, and usually doesnt play as well for England as he does for his club aka John Barnes syndrome.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

This is good on journalism and racism and Raheem Sterling on 14:51 - Dec 11 with 2228 viewsmarcus1642

This is good on journalism and racism and Raheem Sterling on 12:57 - Dec 11 by chicoazul

Rashford is a nice quiet middle class northern boy who one hardly ever sees snarling or growling away on the pitch.
Sterling is utterly ruthless on the pitch, a Londoner, has a tattoo of a gun, everyone thinks he has dozens of kids (he doesnt), forced a move away from Liverpool, and usually doesnt play as well for England as he does for his club aka John Barnes syndrome.

Sol Campbell.
This is good on journalism and racism and Raheem Sterling on 20:41 - Dec 11 with 2126 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

This is good on journalism and racism and Raheem Sterling on 12:17 - Dec 11 by WD19

There is definitely something in this, but it is generally tricky because it is often interwoven with prejudice against 'a person that behaves like a bell' versus a 'squeaky clean choirboy that loves his mum' type. Skin colour doesn't necessarily come into that.

Squeaky clean choirboy that loves his mum...and yet Sterling was pilloried by the press for buying his mum a house...

This is good on journalism and racism and Raheem Sterling on 20:42 - Dec 11 with 2123 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

This is good on journalism and racism and Raheem Sterling on 12:57 - Dec 11 by chicoazul

Rashford also didn’t dare get ideas above his station and agitate for a move from then average media-darlings Liverpool

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024