Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is 2018 the worst year in ITFC History? 09:58 - Dec 11 with 2840 viewsTonyHumesIpswich

Right now we have won only 6 matches all year, and not won at home since April 10th.

Hope 2019 is a better year for the team.

Is 2018 the worst year in ITFC History? on 10:10 - Dec 11 with 2801 viewsSteve_M

1994 was worse. Five league wins, plus a couple in the FA Cup.

Yes, we were in the Premier League then but were truly awful for the entire year. Somehow we beat Man Utd and Leeds who both finished top five in 94-95.

We might have been dull at times in the first half of this calendar year but we were effective enough.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Is 2018 the worst year in ITFC History? on 10:11 - Dec 11 with 2790 viewsShropshireBluenago09

94-95 season must come close 7 wins 90 odd goals conceded, year of the 9-0, at least we were in the top flight then

Gus Uhlenbeek

Is 2018 the worst year in ITFC History? on 10:19 - Dec 11 with 2764 viewsReuser_is_God

Is 2018 the worst year in ITFC History? on 10:10 - Dec 11 by Steve_M

Yes, we were in the Premier League then but were truly awful for the entire year. Somehow we beat Man Utd and Leeds who both finished top five in 94-95.

We might have been dull at times in the first half of this calendar year but we were effective enough.

The successive away wins at Preston & Sheff Weds gave us a genuine chance of troubling the top 6 with 2 winnable home games coming up against Sheff United & Hull.

It's been down hill ever since we stunk the place out in those couple of games.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Is 2018 the worst year in ITFC History? on 10:23 - Dec 11 with 2752 viewsElephantintheRoom

Depends how you judge it. Burley's first relegation was worse in terms of results and national derision. At the present Town are in the second division - so all those years in the third division south and non-league surely must have been worse. From a moral point of view the years of going belly up under Sheepshanks were certainly worse - and worst of all, cravenly selling out to a ticket tout reviled by many national and international sporting institutions. So No - this year has just been bad - by no means the worst whichever way you look at it.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Is 2018 the worst year in ITFC History? on 10:34 - Dec 11 with 2707 viewsJimmyJazz

Is 2018 the worst year in ITFC History? on 10:23 - Dec 11 by ElephantintheRoom

Depends how you judge it. Burley's first relegation was worse in terms of results and national derision. At the present Town are in the second division - so all those years in the third division south and non-league surely must have been worse. From a moral point of view the years of going belly up under Sheepshanks were certainly worse - and worst of all, cravenly selling out to a ticket tout reviled by many national and international sporting institutions. So No - this year has just been bad - by no means the worst whichever way you look at it.

Or just reviled by some of our numbskull fans?

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Is 2018 the worst year in ITFC History? on 10:36 - Dec 11 with 2701 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Is 2018 the worst year in ITFC History? on 10:10 - Dec 11 by Steve_M

We somehow beat Man Utd and Leeds. Yes, somehow but it was still in the Premier League.

The current team have no ability to hurt top teams in the league below due to the disastrous ownership and lack of investment.

This season might turn out to be even worse than 1994/95.
[Post edited 11 Dec 2018 10:40]
Is 2018 the worst year in ITFC History? on 10:55 - Dec 11 with 2648 viewsSteve_M

Is 2018 the worst year in ITFC History? on 10:36 - Dec 11 by Mach_foreignBlue

We somehow beat Man Utd and Leeds. Yes, somehow but it was still in the Premier League.

The current team have no ability to hurt top teams in the league below due to the disastrous ownership and lack of investment.

Yes, the season might be worse than 94-95 but as a calendar year I don't think this one is worse than 1994 as that over-lapped two awful seasons and at least by January 1995 we had a solution in place with Burley.

Is 2018 the worst year in ITFC History? on 11:37 - Dec 11 with 2556 viewsLeagueOne

Is 2018 the worst year in ITFC History? on 10:36 - Dec 11 by Mach_foreignBlue

This is far worse than 1994-95. Four teams went down that season if I recall (Palace, Leicester, Ipswich and Norwich) correctly, and we'd only escaped the season before so we fully expected to drop.

This is the worse Town team ever assembled. Some are still in massive denial about this, but any Town side of 1994 would utterly destroy this Town side, it really IS that bad. There is no saving it, Evans will not spend big in the window as why would he? He'd need a whole new team and they might not even gel before the drop - and while I rate Lamberts work here so far, his record with this squad is even worse than Hursts.

We're so bad. Makes those threads about the summer window being the best window we had for decades, if not even and all the praise for Evans we were subjected to even more laughable. But we're the numbskulls...

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

Login to get fewer ads

Is 2018 the worst year in ITFC History? on 12:06 - Dec 11 with 2492 viewsRegencyBlue

The overall situation is certainly the worst I can remember because we are not only struggling on the pitch but years of neglect from our illustrious owner has turned so many fans away from the club.
Is 2018 the worst year in ITFC History? on 12:15 - Dec 11 with 2453 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Is 2018 the worst year in ITFC History? on 11:37 - Dec 11 by LeagueOne

This is far worse than 1994-95. Four teams went down that season if I recall (Palace, Leicester, Ipswich and Norwich) correctly, and we'd only escaped the season before so we fully expected to drop.

This is the worse Town team ever assembled. Some are still in massive denial about this, but any Town side of 1994 would utterly destroy this Town side, it really IS that bad. There is no saving it, Evans will not spend big in the window as why would he? He'd need a whole new team and they might not even gel before the drop - and while I rate Lamberts work here so far, his record with this squad is even worse than Hursts.

We're so bad. Makes those threads about the summer window being the best window we had for decades, if not even and all the praise for Evans we were subjected to even more laughable. But we're the numbskulls...

Some people will keep defending Evans even if we're an insignificant lower midtable League One club next season. This is so staggering how easy he's had it at Ipswich. Other fanbases would give him a hard time.

If you don't replace Waghorn, McGoldrick and Garner with an adequate quality you have to be punished by getting kicked out of this league. We had had a warning before as selling Murphy and replacing him with Best two years ago got us close to the relegation

We even won at Anfield that season after Adam Tanner scored.
Is 2018 the worst year in ITFC History? on 12:17 - Dec 11 with 2445 viewsSteve_M

Is 2018 the worst year in ITFC History? on 12:06 - Dec 11 by RegencyBlue

The overall situation is certainly the worst I can remember because we are not only struggling on the pitch but years of neglect from our illustrious owner has turned so many fans away from the club.

I think people forget the state of the club in 94-95. A tired old board, an ageing ground and a team full of players coming towards the end of their careers and not much optimism about young players coming through and a team destined for relegation from September.

The way that Sheepshanks and Burley revitalised it makes the subsequent success seem inevitable when it really wasn't. Phil Ham's book is pretty good on what it was like.

Is 2018 the worst year in ITFC History? on 12:21 - Dec 11 with 2423 viewsJimmyJazz

Is 2018 the worst year in ITFC History? on 12:06 - Dec 11 by RegencyBlue

Fans turned away from the club - so much for Ipswich til I die then

We could be in the conference and it would still be my team, which i’m sure applies to many others

So turned away by what, perceived lack of investment? That probably applies to the majority of the 92 clubs

An owner with no connection to Ipswich ? Those days are long gone

Why so concerned if some fair weather fans have turned their backs?
[Post edited 11 Dec 2018 13:01]

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Is 2018 the worst year in ITFC History? on 12:24 - Dec 11 with 2412 viewsCoastalblue

Is 2018 the worst year in ITFC History? on 12:17 - Dec 11 by Steve_M

I think people forget the state of the club in 94-95. A tired old board, an ageing ground and a team full of players coming towards the end of their careers and not much optimism about young players coming through and a team destined for relegation from September.

The way that Sheepshanks and Burley revitalised it makes the subsequent success seem inevitable when it really wasn't. Phil Ham's book is pretty good on what it was like.

Quite.

I'd far more oncerns about us disapearing into oblivion then than I have now, it really did feel like the end of the road for the Club was just around the corner.
Now? It's grim but not terminal in my eyes, we've come back from worse and we're better placed to do so.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Is 2018 the worst year in ITFC History? on 12:38 - Dec 11 with 2378 viewsBlueBadger

Got a long way to go to beat 2002. Relegation, financial collapse and sacking our best manager since Sir Bobby.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Is 2018 the worst year in ITFC History? on 13:07 - Dec 11 with 2297 viewschristiand

Won 6 matches all year!! Then we get comments, 'We just need to win the next couple of matches...... ' !! It really is a dire situation we find ourselves in. You could probably argue it's worse than 1994, as we were in the Premier League then, now we're scraping the bottom of the barrel in The Championship and propping everyone else up!

However that said, what's similar is we had a few youngsters pushing through getting regular first team action as we do now. Lets hope it is the beginning of something more long term ala Burley's sides back in the day.
[Post edited 11 Dec 2018 13:22]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Is 2018 the worst year in ITFC History? on 23:22 - Dec 11 with 2035 viewsBcarefulwhatUWish4

Is 2018 the worst year in ITFC History? on 12:17 - Dec 11 by Steve_M

I'd argue this is worse than 94-95. Mounting debt and look destined for the drop from the division below. Very poor playing squad, and many youngsters will leave if we get relegated.

There must be worse years though if we look at the full history of the club.

In 1955 we were relegated from the old division 2 to division 3 south. But in the same year we appointed Sir Alf Ramsey, which was a great move for the club. So do think 2018 is worse than 1955. Must be years between 1938 and 1952 that were worse though, just don't know much about that era.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024