Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What Lankester adds that Ward and Edwards don't 14:35 - Dec 11 with 5645 viewsHalifaxBlue

Hiya folks, I've been so impressed with Lankester in recent weeks that I did a quick twitter thread taking a look at the Stoke game and what he offers us. Thought I'd put it here as there might be a couple stattos and wonks that enjoy it.

There are 6 more tweets in the thread if you go to twitter. If this is annoying, I've been considering formatting it as a blog post and posting it on here. Let me know what you think!

Poll: Hurst or Ross, discounting any other candidates?

What Lankester adds that Ward and Edwards don't on 14:41 - Dec 11 with 5599 viewsJimmyJazz

Good start to his fledgling career, but both Ward and Edwards had good starts. Maybe you could make it a running analysis but the real stats may take at least 6 months before being meaningful

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

What Lankester adds that Ward and Edwards don't on 14:45 - Dec 11 with 5580 viewsDarth_Koont

Good analysis in that thread.

Lankester has Edwards's directness but a much better ability to keep the ball and use it. His crossing and set piece delivery was also very good, just we don't seem to have players that good/confident enough at getting on the end of things.

Not sure Lankester we can expect him to keep up performances over a full season but good to at least be able to rotate him as a starter and off the bench.

Pronouns: He/Him

What Lankester adds that Ward and Edwards don't on 14:46 - Dec 11 with 5578 viewsHalifaxBlue

What Lankester adds that Ward and Edwards don't on 14:41 - Dec 11 by JimmyJazz

Good start to his fledgling career, but both Ward and Edwards had good starts. Maybe you could make it a running analysis but the real stats may take at least 6 months before being meaningful

Of course, it's very early. Not trying to say Lankester is better because of the stats, or even that he is better at all, just trying to use the stats to show how he is different and how that may suit Lambert's system. Like the it says in the thread, more a discussion of classic wingers vs. modern wingers and how they fit into what Lambert may want to do. Cheers for reading!!

What Lankester adds that Ward and Edwards don't on 15:19 - Dec 11 with 5483 viewsGooders7592

He'll be even better when we have Peter Crouch getting on the end of his crosses.
What Lankester adds that Ward and Edwards don't on 16:34 - Dec 11 with 5352 viewsCurrie10

What Lankester adds that Ward and Edwards don't on 14:41 - Dec 11 by JimmyJazz

Very hard to judge.

Josh Carson looked good early on, many others too.

However, he appears to have started very well - long may this continue!

Appears his shirt to lose v Wigan, so another start appear on it's way :)
What Lankester adds that Ward and Edwards don't on 16:50 - Dec 11 with 5311 viewsHalifaxBlue

What Lankester adds that Ward and Edwards don't on 16:34 - Dec 11 by Currie10

Very hard to judge.

Yeah, brilliant to see him given a run in the team. Wonder what it was that was so clear to Lambert about his ability on the training ground that others didn't?

Of course, he could be another Carson, I don't mean to get carried away. This is intended to be more of a look at his type than his ability.

What Lankester adds that Ward and Edwards don't on 16:56 - Dec 11 with 5286 viewsGarv

What Lankester adds that Ward and Edwards don't on 16:34 - Dec 11 by Currie10

Very hard to judge.

Would it be incorrect to say it was Carson's physique that did for him?

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

What Lankester adds that Ward and Edwards don't on 17:01 - Dec 11 with 5266 viewsRadlett_blue

What Lankester adds that Ward and Edwards don't on 16:56 - Dec 11 by Garv

for me, Lankester is technically much better than Carson & also has a good "head up" level of awareness that you only find in confident, skilful players. I hope he continues to progress.+

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Login to get fewer ads

What Lankester adds that Ward and Edwards don't on 18:51 - Dec 11 with 5116 viewsCurrie10

Seemed to be one pre season of enjoyment sadly
What Lankester adds that Ward and Edwards don't on 19:17 - Dec 11 with 5058 viewsArnieM

In a word:

....... presence

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

What Lankester adds that Ward and Edwards don't on 21:07 - Dec 11 with 4962 viewsitfcjoe

What Lankester adds that Ward and Edwards don't on 16:50 - Dec 11 by HalifaxBlue

Yeah, brilliant to see him given a run in the team. Wonder what it was that was so clear to Lambert about his ability on the training ground that others didn't?

Of course, he could be another Carson, I don't mean to get carried away. This is intended to be more of a look at his type than his ability.

I think it is just a case of Lambert improving exponentially recently, something that Hurst had noticed and was pushing him on

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

What Lankester adds that Ward and Edwards don't on 21:29 - Dec 11 with 4924 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Lankester appears to be able to take a set piece. That is something we are desperate for.

To offer more than Ward and Edwards does not require a great deal unfortunately. Both looked very good players on their debuts and have had odd moments since but literally it has been odd moments. If either could get real consistency in positive performances they could be useful players for us. Currently neither deserves a place in a Championship team.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

What Lankester adds that Ward and Edwards don't on 21:35 - Dec 11 with 4915 viewsHalifaxBlue

What Lankester adds that Ward and Edwards don't on 21:07 - Dec 11 by itfcjoe

I think it is just a case of Lambert improving exponentially recently, something that Hurst had noticed and was pushing him on

Fair. Also unlikely that Hurst would drop Edwards as he was one of his only signings that looked like he would deliver during Hurst's spell.

What Lankester adds that Ward and Edwards don't on 23:48 - Dec 11 with 4810 viewsharlingblue

What Lankester adds that Ward and Edwards don't on 14:46 - Dec 11 by HalifaxBlue

Of course, it's very early. Not trying to say Lankester is better because of the stats, or even that he is better at all, just trying to use the stats to show how he is different and how that may suit Lambert's system. Like the it says in the thread, more a discussion of classic wingers vs. modern wingers and how they fit into what Lambert may want to do. Cheers for reading!!

HalifaxBlue, you don't have to apologise for putting on a positive post.
Lankester is well deserving of a first team place IMO, and in whom we have a very good, confident young player that can also deliver a pretty mean freekick.
What Lankester adds that Ward and Edwards don't on 04:54 - Dec 12 with 4751 viewsBrettenhamBlue

deserves to start every game.

MMcCarthyisaGod
Poll: Favourite ITFC victory of 2018?

What Lankester adds that Ward and Edwards don't on 09:22 - Dec 12 with 4649 viewsPhilTWTD

More losing focus on his football, much to everyone at the club's surprise. He was one they always thought wouldn't be distracted from his career.
What Lankester adds that Ward and Edwards don't on 15:13 - Dec 12 with 4503 viewsFrimleyBlue

What Lankester adds that Ward and Edwards don't on 15:19 - Dec 11 by Gooders7592

He'll be even better when we have Peter Crouch getting on the end of his crosses.

what, to head the ball over?

For someone so tall he is dreadful in the air

where's nugent at these days?

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

What Lankester adds that Ward and Edwards don't on 15:47 - Dec 12 with 4470 viewsJammyDodgerrr

What Lankester adds that Ward and Edwards don't on 15:13 - Dec 12 by FrimleyBlue

what, to head the ball over?

For someone so tall he is dreadful in the air

where's nugent at these days?

Dreadful in the air but holds the record for the most headed goals in the premier league.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

What Lankester adds that Ward and Edwards don't on 15:50 - Dec 12 with 4464 viewsSpruceMoose

What Lankester adds that Ward and Edwards don't on 15:47 - Dec 12 by JammyDodgerrr

Dreadful in the air but holds the record for the most headed goals in the premier league.

It's almost like Frimmers talks out of his bottie isn't it!?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

What Lankester adds that Ward and Edwards don't on 16:06 - Dec 12 with 4445 viewsFrimleyBlue

What Lankester adds that Ward and Edwards don't on 15:50 - Dec 12 by SpruceMoose

It's almost like Frimmers talks out of his bottie isn't it!?

TBf I'm probably not the only one who is shocked by that stat. When ever I've seen him he's had a 50 pence head. It was spoken about on here last week.

So yes I'm very surprised at that stat

Harry Redknapp had the same thoughts

Redknapp’s column in The Sun. That post said:

“For me, Crouch is far better with the ball played to his feet and I’ve always found his aerial ability somewhat disappointing
[Post edited 12 Dec 2018 16:11]

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

What Lankester adds that Ward and Edwards don't on 10:29 - Dec 13 with 4297 viewsJammyDodgerrr

What Lankester adds that Ward and Edwards don't on 16:06 - Dec 12 by FrimleyBlue

TBf I'm probably not the only one who is shocked by that stat. When ever I've seen him he's had a 50 pence head. It was spoken about on here last week.

“For me, Crouch is far better with the ball played to his feet and I’ve always found his aerial ability somewhat disappointing

It's five more than shearer, it's not exactly a lucky record to hold.

Be interested to find out where that article is, here is one where he says Crouchs best ability is his heading:

http://en.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/50502.html - '"It's no good putting him up front and then trying to play the ball to his feet all the time. Peter is a technically good player but England should use his height - because he towers above most defenders.' & '"Peter Crouch is 6ft 7in tall so his best asset is an obvious one,'

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

What Lankester adds that Ward and Edwards don't on 12:13 - Dec 13 with 4238 viewsDarth_Koont

What Lankester adds that Ward and Edwards don't on 16:06 - Dec 12 by FrimleyBlue

Not sure when Redknapp said that, but certainly Crouch had problems when he was younger. Apparently down to never really having to time his runs or jumps to get his head on the ball as a youngster. But it was something he addressed as a young pro hence his goal-scoring record with his head.

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024