Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Would you like to do something for your community? 20:12 - Dec 11 with 5237 viewschicoazul

Something that is free, easy, simple and will have an immediate positive impact?

Something that will help employment, help enrich our culture, and maybe make you a better more informed person?

Then, if you don't have one already, go to your local library and get a library card. Take a book out. That's literally it. You don't even have to read the book although it would be cool if you would. Then in a month or so take it back and get another one. Etc. They also do DVDs if that works better for you, and CDs.

Public libraries are being threatened with closure all over the country as a result of austerity, but also part of the reason they are being shut is lack of demand. Do we want to live in a country without libraries? Even if you dont use them or havent for years I bet you can see that no, we don't.

Get yourselves a library card boyos, and use it. Send a message.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Would you like to do something for your community? on 10:22 - Dec 12 with 1450 viewsDecoy_Octopus

Would you like to do something for your community? on 10:09 - Dec 12 by Pinewoodblue

Don't think people realise what a good library can do. Thirty years ago my daughter, as part of her studies, gave her love library a list of two books on Motzart and asked if they could get them. It took three weeks but they got them for her from a Library in Vienna. They were both priceless and in poor condition. One so delapidated that they apologized for it only bring available in microfiber format, which allowed her to keep.

Her tutors were amazed but as she said "if you don't ask"

Second this, when I was at University we had a list of all the text books required, and were expected to provide them ourselves. Lots of people bought them or waitied ages to get them from the Uni library.

I gave the list to my local library and they got every single book in for me and because they weren't particularly in demand in I could just keep renewing them for as long as needed. All this for free as well. Saved a fortune
[Post edited 12 Dec 2018 10:23]
Would you like to do something for your community? on 10:24 - Dec 12 with 1443 viewschicoazul

Would you like to do something for your community? on 10:22 - Dec 12 by Decoy_Octopus

Second this, when I was at University we had a list of all the text books required, and were expected to provide them ourselves. Lots of people bought them or waitied ages to get them from the Uni library.

I gave the list to my local library and they got every single book in for me and because they weren't particularly in demand in I could just keep renewing them for as long as needed. All this for free as well. Saved a fortune
[Post edited 12 Dec 2018 10:23]

This is another good thing about libraries; they reeeeeeeally annoy the Ayn Rand wingnuts. They get you stuff for free!

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Would you like to do something for your community? on 10:30 - Dec 12 with 1430 viewsfooters

Would you like to do something for your community? on 10:24 - Dec 12 by chicoazul

This is another good thing about libraries; they reeeeeeeally annoy the Ayn Rand wingnuts. They get you stuff for free!

But they also supply them with copies of The Fountainhead and Anthem... hmm. Bit of a pickle that one. Can you imagine a Randian stooping to the level of using a public service?

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Would you like to do something for your community? on 10:32 - Dec 12 with 1426 viewsJ2BLUE

Would you like to do something for your community? on 10:21 - Dec 12 by ElephantintheRoom

What you suggest could be immensely harmful and cost lives. Local authorities have been scandalously starved of funds and can no longer provide essential services. Something that has become outdated and underused, maybe even unnecessary such as a local library used by very few might actually be a lot less important than housing, food - or maybe care in the community. So rather than waste time at a library you don't really want go litter picking or volunteer in a food bank

By that logic maybe you should take your bins to be emptied yourself once a week so your council tax can be used on housing etc.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Would you like to do something for your community? on 10:36 - Dec 12 with 1411 viewschicoazul

Would you like to do something for your community? on 10:21 - Dec 12 by ElephantintheRoom

What you suggest could be immensely harmful and cost lives. Local authorities have been scandalously starved of funds and can no longer provide essential services. Something that has become outdated and underused, maybe even unnecessary such as a local library used by very few might actually be a lot less important than housing, food - or maybe care in the community. So rather than waste time at a library you don't really want go litter picking or volunteer in a food bank

This is a fair point and something I thought about too. I would say that I believe the funds for retaining the library service should come from central government rather than over-stretched local authorities. If we can find a bn for the DUP or 10bn for the stupid Trident missile system that we can't use without the Yanks say so anyway, we can find a couple hundred million for libraries.

EDIT; Trident costs 40bn not 10, my mistake.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2018 10:37]

Would you like to do something for your community? on 17:08 - Dec 12 with 1358 viewsthebooks

Would you like to do something for your community? on 10:36 - Dec 12 by chicoazul

This is a fair point and something I thought about too. I would say that I believe the funds for retaining the library service should come from central government rather than over-stretched local authorities. If we can find a bn for the DUP or 10bn for the stupid Trident missile system that we can't use without the Yanks say so anyway, we can find a couple hundred million for libraries.

EDIT; Trident costs 40bn not 10, my mistake.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2018 10:37]

Libraries are an absolute bargain. You get the whole of Suffolk's service for less than £6m a year.

I'd argue libraries save money, anyway. They improve literacy, provide a non-commercial space for isolated people and even provide health and wellbeing services.

This was a great post, by the way. Made my day.
Would you like to do something for your community? on 17:41 - Dec 12 with 1339 viewsRyorry

Couldn't agree more, and with most of the other posters too. Our local library has one ft member of staff and can only run with the assistance of volunteers, of which I'm one, just a small weekly stint (which I love!). As people have mentioned, we have a range of activities, particularly for youngsters, including the 'Summer Reading Challenge' to encourage youngsters from 2 upwards to get into the habit of reading.

It's more than a library, it's a community centre which also gives support to local people - eg we have a community car, also staffed by volunteers, to enable, e.g., an elderly person to visit her husband who's in a home in town 10 miles away (featured as a BBC news item a few days ago, to illustrate how cuts are affecting local communities, and how some communities are responding).

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Would you like to do something for your community? on 17:45 - Dec 12 with 1334 viewsMullet

This makes your case very eloquently too and I agree. It's been vital using our local one for the boy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0000ngr

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Login to get fewer ads

Would you like to do something for your community? on 17:59 - Dec 12 with 1325 viewsRyorry

Would you like to do something for your community? on 17:45 - Dec 12 by Mullet

This makes your case very eloquently too and I agree. It's been vital using our local one for the boy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0000ngr

For some reason I couldn't get that to play - but it works if you download it. LT's 'Thinking Allowed' is in any case a brilliant series, and well worth a listen in its own right.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Would you like to do something for your community? on 16:36 - Dec 13 with 1262 viewsGusUhlenbook

Hi - thanks to Chicoazul for the original post. I work for Suffolk Libraries and this is exactly how we want people to view the library service.

Libraries have changed a lot and yes, there's less money, but in Suffolk all the libraries have remained open and we're doing pretty well compared to many other counties.

As well as everything which has been mentioned, everything we do is aimed to help people - we provide info on wellbeing and mental health, run regular sessions for families and older people. In many parts of Suffolk this is really important as many people don't have access to other services or activities - plus there's free wifi.

Lots of books too of course - plenty on sport and ITFC if you want to read about the good old days. Some libraries also now run sporting memories sessions which I've posted about before - regular sessions to help tackle loneliness and dementia by discussing people's sporting memories. It gave me a chance to meet Terry Butcher last year!

And yes getting a library card and using pretty much all our services is free so why not sign up? You can do it online - https://www.suffolklibraries.co.uk/

Of course the more people who realise we do all this and use the service the better. We also know people are pushed for time and like a choice so there's plenty of stuff available from the eLibrary - free ebooks to download, free magazines and even free access to online newspapers. Anyway sorry for rambling on but it was too good an opportunity to chip in and remind everyone how great libraries are.
Would you like to do something for your community? on 17:59 - Dec 13 with 1239 viewscaught-in-limbo

Great post.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Would you like to do something for your community? on 20:17 - Dec 13 with 1211 viewsPecker

I use my local library most weeks. Why buy a book? Read it, take it back for somebody else to enjoy. If needed, I would be happy to pay for the service provided. Maybe 20p-£1 a book. Cheap yet it would all help to keep them open.
Would you like to do something for your community? on 20:39 - Dec 13 with 1198 viewsjeera

Would you like to do something for your community? on 20:16 - Dec 11 by Guthrum

Worth pointing out they also serve as a useful venue for community events and activities. For example, my mother went to ipad/tablet lessons at her local library.

Exactly. The CAB use them too for 'clinics' etc.

Free internet for those in need...

Wouldn't be a surprise if the change in book borrowing was used as an excuse to close more.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024