Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A pub where cash is useless 21:43 - Dec 11 with 11414 viewsgtsb

No thanks. This is going to be the norm soon isn't it. We have one in Sudbury too.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46507529
A pub where cash is useless on 21:44 - Dec 11 with 6644 viewswkj

I am all for cashless establishments personally.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

A pub where cash is useless on 21:44 - Dec 11 with 6643 viewsstringy

Freston Boot reopened this summer in exactly this format, not exactly a super inclusive format
A pub where cash is useless on 21:49 - Dec 11 with 6631 viewsOxford_Blue

What does it matter?

Cash is just one form of payment. It’s inefficient and unnessary when a pub has the means to accept card payment.
A pub where cash is useless on 21:50 - Dec 11 with 6630 viewsLord_Lucan

I rarely carry cash and am all for card for everything - however I don't think it should be legal to refuse cash.

For a business it is now more expensive to bank cash than take a card.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

A pub where cash is useless on 21:52 - Dec 11 with 6613 viewsgtsb

A pub where cash is useless on 21:50 - Dec 11 by Lord_Lucan

I rarely carry cash and am all for card for everything - however I don't think it should be legal to refuse cash.

Your last sentence, I never knew that. Crazy.
A pub where cash is useless on 21:52 - Dec 11 with 6605 viewsBloomBlue

A pub where cash is useless on 21:49 - Dec 11 by Oxford_Blue

What does it matter?

Cash is just one form of payment. It’s inefficient and unnessary when a pub has the means to accept card payment.

Because it excludes the poor and homeless who only have cash
A pub where cash is useless on 21:55 - Dec 11 with 6604 viewsBent_double

I hope it doesn't become the norm anytime soon, infact should they even be allowed to 'ban' cash - many people still use/rely on cash on a day-to-day basis, I appreciate that this business is just a pub and therefore not essential to many people, but I would hate to see too many businesses going down this route.

I accept/prefer to receive cash in my business, and I prefer to use it when buying smaller items. When I get paid by card, I'm paying a few % to a faceless, global corporation for the privilege.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

A pub where cash is useless on 21:56 - Dec 11 with 6595 viewsOxford_Blue

A pub where cash is useless on 21:52 - Dec 11 by BloomBlue

I don’t even know what that means.

The “poor”? How do you define them? And if they are poor how are they affording to drink in pubs and if they have cash they will probably have a bank account.

The homeless can just find another pub.
Login to get fewer ads

A pub where cash is useless on 22:56 - Dec 11 with 6472 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I hardly ever use cash.

Don't really see the problem.

They have stated good operational reasons.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

A pub where cash is useless on 23:07 - Dec 11 with 6449 viewsMelford

A pub where cash is useless on 21:50 - Dec 11 by Lord_Lucan

I do take cash when I'm on the lash so I know how much I'm pissing up the wall. I'll take a certain amount of cash out when I'm off out depending when I'm going and how long I'll be out for and when it's gone it's gone. I know if I went out with my card I'll be in for some shocks the next morning.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

A pub where cash is useless on 23:07 - Dec 11 with 6452 viewsStNeotsBlue

I can't stand this trend. Coming home from New York with my daughters in the summer I had a load of dollars I was looking to get rid of at the bars/restaurants at La Guardia, card only everywhere which was irritating.

Plus having been on the bones of my arse in the past I quite enjoy have a few quid in my pocket.
A pub where cash is useless on 00:48 - Dec 12 with 6369 viewsBlueBadger

I'm not seeing a problem, tbh. It's a lot less faffing all round if, at he end of the night I pay for ALL my drinks on card rather than paying every time I want one.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

A pub where cash is useless on 00:51 - Dec 12 with 6365 viewsBlueBadger

A pub where cash is useless on 23:07 - Dec 11 by StNeotsBlue

I can't stand this trend. Coming home from New York with my daughters in the summer I had a load of dollars I was looking to get rid of at the bars/restaurants at La Guardia, card only everywhere which was irritating.

Plus having been on the bones of my arse in the past I quite enjoy have a few quid in my pocket.

See now, I pay a bill on card and leave a tip in cash. Sorted.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

A pub where cash is useless on 00:54 - Dec 12 with 6361 viewsjeera

A pub where cash is useless on 21:56 - Dec 11 by Oxford_Blue

I don’t even know what that means.

The “poor”? How do you define them? And if they are poor how are they affording to drink in pubs and if they have cash they will probably have a bank account.

The homeless can just find another pub.

That's not a very inclusive attitude.

He has a point. There are people without bank accounts, or maybe who need to be only able to spend what readies they have in their pocket; although I realise there are cards with limits to stop unintentional overspending, some people need to see the cash to fully understand their resources.

But, it is up to the business, and it's understandable I suppose if they have been burgled and see no cash on the premises as a way of countering that.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2018 1:08]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

A pub where cash is useless on 06:55 - Dec 12 with 6248 viewsTractorWood

It's 2018. Totally normal in Cambridge to go months without spending physical cash. As it says I don't think there is huge interest in banning cash but it is slowly becoming less relevant.

What most people against this general trend seem to ignore is that it's mainly driven by sensible commercial logic and consumers choosing to pay by card. You'd think 99%+ of the population have a bank account so I think it is pretty inclusive.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2018 6:58]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

A pub where cash is useless on 06:59 - Dec 12 with 6235 viewsOxford_Blue

A pub where cash is useless on 00:54 - Dec 12 by jeera

That's not a very inclusive attitude.

He has a point. There are people without bank accounts, or maybe who need to be only able to spend what readies they have in their pocket; although I realise there are cards with limits to stop unintentional overspending, some people need to see the cash to fully understand their resources.

But, it is up to the business, and it's understandable I suppose if they have been burgled and see no cash on the premises as a way of countering that.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2018 1:08]

True but the market isn’t dictated by minorities.

You might as well say the Ritz isn’t very inclusive.
A pub where cash is useless on 07:01 - Dec 12 with 6233 viewsBenters2

Trouble with that is people will get in debt.
A pub where cash is useless on 07:14 - Dec 12 with 6212 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

A pub where cash is useless on 06:55 - Dec 12 by TractorWood

It's 2018. Totally normal in Cambridge to go months without spending physical cash. As it says I don't think there is huge interest in banning cash but it is slowly becoming less relevant.

What most people against this general trend seem to ignore is that it's mainly driven by sensible commercial logic and consumers choosing to pay by card. You'd think 99%+ of the population have a bank account so I think it is pretty inclusive.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2018 6:58]

Me and my mate were in a cafe in Stoke (did a cracking full English) on Saturday and it was cash only to my surprise.

Lucky there was a cash till nearby and I’d asked her whether they take card before she served us.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

A pub where cash is useless on 08:06 - Dec 12 with 6172 viewsSteve_M

A pub where cash is useless on 07:14 - Dec 12 by The_Romford_Blue

Me and my mate were in a cafe in Stoke (did a cracking full English) on Saturday and it was cash only to my surprise.

Lucky there was a cash till nearby and I’d asked her whether they take card before she served us.

The pub we went to on Saturday was cash only which always causes me to wonder if I have enough on me. Fortunately it was £3 a pint and £5 for food.

Contactless has made paying by card an awful lot easier and far less faff for customer and bar-staff but it seems a bit much to exclude the option of paying by cash. I guess there are savings in not needing change which is always a hassle.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

A pub where cash is useless on 08:17 - Dec 12 with 6152 viewsLord_Lucan

A pub where cash is useless on 08:06 - Dec 12 by Steve_M

The pub we went to on Saturday was cash only which always causes me to wonder if I have enough on me. Fortunately it was £3 a pint and £5 for food.

Contactless has made paying by card an awful lot easier and far less faff for customer and bar-staff but it seems a bit much to exclude the option of paying by cash. I guess there are savings in not needing change which is always a hassle.

The main reason for businesses wanting card only is that there is no chance of staff pilfering and it'a easier to bank. The main reason for cash only is to defraud HMRC.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

A pub where cash is useless on 08:34 - Dec 12 with 6125 viewsStokieBlue

I barely carry cash anymore, I don't understand why anyone would when I can pay and instantly see it reflected in my Starling app.

If you're so inclined you can pay in Brewdog with cryptocurrency. You're beer could get cheaper whilst you drink it.

SB

Edit:. The point about the homeless was a good one. With regards to the "poor" I don't see why everyone can't have a bank account, they should be able to.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2018 8:37]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

A pub where cash is useless on 08:55 - Dec 12 with 6074 viewsJohnWarksTash

A pub where cash is useless on 08:34 - Dec 12 by StokieBlue

I barely carry cash anymore, I don't understand why anyone would when I can pay and instantly see it reflected in my Starling app.

If you're so inclined you can pay in Brewdog with cryptocurrency. You're beer could get cheaper whilst you drink it.

SB

Edit:. The point about the homeless was a good one. With regards to the "poor" I don't see why everyone can't have a bank account, they should be able to.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2018 8:37]

Can you???? Off to Norwich this weekend so might get my bitcoin on....

Starling doesn't support cryptocurrency though?
A pub where cash is useless on 08:56 - Dec 12 with 6072 viewsStokieBlue

A pub where cash is useless on 08:55 - Dec 12 by JohnWarksTash

Can you???? Off to Norwich this weekend so might get my bitcoin on....

Starling doesn't support cryptocurrency though?

Starling doesn't know - I use it for all my banking now though. Instant confirmations is just too good when managing your money.

I didn't pay in crypto, you can though (well in some of them at least).

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

A pub where cash is useless on 09:00 - Dec 12 with 6063 viewsVic

A pub where cash is useless on 21:52 - Dec 11 by BloomBlue

Why do the poor only have cash?

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

A pub where cash is useless on 09:38 - Dec 12 with 6022 viewsJohnWarksTash

A pub where cash is useless on 08:56 - Dec 12 by StokieBlue

Starling doesn't know - I use it for all my banking now though. Instant confirmations is just too good when managing your money.

I didn't pay in crypto, you can though (well in some of them at least).

SB

I prefer Monzo but have both :)

The integration with IFTTT and the community integration gives them the edge for me.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024