Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A pub where cash is useless 21:43 - Dec 11 with 11388 viewsgtsb

No thanks. This is going to be the norm soon isn't it. We have one in Sudbury too.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46507529
A pub where cash is useless on 09:39 - Dec 12 with 3146 viewsPinewoodblue

It may be an age thing. Was at Butlins last weekend, sixties music weekend, majority were paying in cash at the bar.

Prefer cashless myself.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

A pub where cash is useless on 09:42 - Dec 12 with 3145 viewsBent_double

A pub where cash is useless on 08:17 - Dec 12 by Lord_Lucan

The main reason for businesses wanting card only is that there is no chance of staff pilfering and it'a easier to bank. The main reason for cash only is to defraud HMRC.

That's a terrible thing to say! I'm sure it happens, but unless your 'business' is a criminal activity (drug dealing/buying or selling stolen goods), there should be no problem taking, and declaring cash payments.

You're right about the risks of taking/holding cash - which is why that pub opted to stop taking it, but on the other side you have the all-powerful HMRC and financial organisations who are able to monitor every single transaction you do, and take their little cut from each one, not to mention the 3 or 4 days it takes a payment to hit your account once someone has paid by card.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

A pub where cash is useless on 09:42 - Dec 12 with 3138 viewsStokieBlue

A pub where cash is useless on 09:38 - Dec 12 by JohnWarksTash

I prefer Monzo but have both :)

The integration with IFTTT and the community integration gives them the edge for me.

I've got both but prefer Starling :).

Does Monzo still limit you to 200 quid cash abroad per month without fees?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

A pub where cash is useless on 10:40 - Dec 12 with 3116 viewsLord_Lucan

A pub where cash is useless on 09:42 - Dec 12 by Bent_double

That's a terrible thing to say! I'm sure it happens, but unless your 'business' is a criminal activity (drug dealing/buying or selling stolen goods), there should be no problem taking, and declaring cash payments.

You're right about the risks of taking/holding cash - which is why that pub opted to stop taking it, but on the other side you have the all-powerful HMRC and financial organisations who are able to monitor every single transaction you do, and take their little cut from each one, not to mention the 3 or 4 days it takes a payment to hit your account once someone has paid by card.

I mentioned cash only establishments - and obviously I don't mean all of them.

To suggest that most businesses that take cash only are not taking some out is naive. I notice a lot of takeaways are cash only as they can offset some of their purchases against waste.

Fair play to them I say but they don't take cash only to make anything easier - or for the goodness of their health.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

A pub where cash is useless on 10:42 - Dec 12 with 3109 viewschicoazul

A pub where cash is useless on 21:49 - Dec 11 by Oxford_Blue

What does it matter?

Cash is just one form of payment. It’s inefficient and unnessary when a pub has the means to accept card payment.

Because cash = freedom from the snooping eye of Big Brother.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

A pub where cash is useless on 10:46 - Dec 12 with 3106 viewsLord_Lucan

A pub where cash is useless on 10:42 - Dec 12 by chicoazul

Because cash = freedom from the snooping eye of Big Brother.

Pretty much this.

What if I wanted to buy a copy of Gay News but it was card only and then the government was overthrown by Nazis?

All your card purchases are monitored.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

A pub where cash is useless on 10:49 - Dec 12 with 3098 viewschicoazul

A pub where cash is useless on 10:46 - Dec 12 by Lord_Lucan

Pretty much this.

What if I wanted to buy a copy of Gay News but it was card only and then the government was overthrown by Nazis?

All your card purchases are monitored.

There is practically nothing now the Gov dont measure and monitor. If people are happy with that, ok great. Me I like to exercise my freedoms a little more so I pay cash.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

A pub where cash is useless on 11:00 - Dec 12 with 3084 viewsPinewoodblue

A pub where cash is useless on 10:49 - Dec 12 by chicoazul

There is practically nothing now the Gov dont measure and monitor. If people are happy with that, ok great. Me I like to exercise my freedoms a little more so I pay cash.

Which they know you have withdrawn from your account.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Login to get fewer ads

A pub where cash is useless on 11:01 - Dec 12 with 3083 viewsLord_Lucan

A pub where cash is useless on 11:00 - Dec 12 by Pinewoodblue

Which they know you have withdrawn from your account.

But they don't know what he spent it on.

A pub where cash is useless on 11:05 - Dec 12 with 3073 viewseireblue

A pub where cash is useless on 10:49 - Dec 12 by chicoazul

We track the numbers on the bank notes as they are passed out from and back to, banks and ATMs, to help get a rough idea of what people are up to.

Best use coins only.
A pub where cash is useless on 11:07 - Dec 12 with 3072 viewsitfcjoe

A pub where cash is useless on 09:42 - Dec 12 by Bent_double

I think it is fair to say on businesses that are cash only, unless they are very small and wanting to stay that way.

But I agree that banning of cash purchases is not good, I like to pay for certain things in cash, and certain things on card. As others have mentioned, when on a night out cash works well.

Card is much harder to keep track of, especially if you are willing to put your head in the sand a bit - without cards there would be a lot less debt in the world - was much easier when i used to get paid in cash for bar work and that was my money to see me through until I got my pay packet the next week.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

A pub where cash is useless on 11:13 - Dec 12 with 3058 viewschicoazul

A pub where cash is useless on 11:01 - Dec 12 by Lord_Lucan

But they don't know what he spent it on.

Das it mane.

A pub where cash is useless on 11:15 - Dec 12 with 3055 viewsBrixtonBlue

A pub where cash is useless on 09:39 - Dec 12 by Pinewoodblue

It may be an age thing. Was at Butlins last weekend, sixties music weekend, majority were paying in cash at the bar.

Prefer cashless myself.

I agree it's an age thing. People are set in their ways and resistant to change no matter how more practical and logical it actually is.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

A pub where cash is useless on 11:20 - Dec 12 with 3045 viewsitfcjoe

A pub where cash is useless on 11:15 - Dec 12 by BrixtonBlue

I agree it's an age thing. People are set in their ways and resistant to change no matter how more practical and logical it actually is.

People have given good reasons as to why they prefer cash - control on a night out or in general spending being one.

Others potentially along lines of cash is (was!) accepted everywhere so can be useful for buses, taxis, if you need help from someone.

And some people don't like having spending tracked - whether that by Big Brother, or their partner!

A pub where cash is useless on 11:21 - Dec 12 with 3041 viewsLord_Lucan

A pub where cash is useless on 11:15 - Dec 12 by BrixtonBlue

I was round mothers last week and she was writing someone a cheque!

I received a couple of cheques a couple of weeks ago and I haven't got round to banking them yet - and it's about a grand. It's a pain in the Harris.

A pub where cash is useless on 11:23 - Dec 12 with 3034 viewsitfcjoe

A pub where cash is useless on 11:21 - Dec 12 by Lord_Lucan

I received a couple of cheques a couple of weeks ago and I haven't got round to banking them yet - and it's about a grand. It's a pain in the Harris.

I agree with that - especially now out of town branches are closing all the time.

We have to go from Purdis Farm either into town or to Bramford Road to bank a cheque - will take well over an hour to do so. Used to have branches on Derby Road, Nacton Road, Woodbridge Road East, Felixstowe Road

A pub where cash is useless on 11:36 - Dec 12 with 3014 viewsTractorWood

Can't you scan them using your online banking app?

If it's a business account, they are rolling this out in the next few months with little scanners for bigger businesses.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

A pub where cash is useless on 11:54 - Dec 12 with 2991 viewsgiant_stow

A disturbing trend. If there's no cash, society is totally under control and surveillance.

Edit: sorry for the repetition- hadn't read the second page when I posted this.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2018 11:56]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

A pub where cash is useless on 12:03 - Dec 12 with 2977 viewsjonbull88

A pub where cash is useless on 21:50 - Dec 11 by Lord_Lucan

I rarely carry cash and am all for card for everything - however I don't think it should be legal to refuse cash.

For a business it is now more expensive to bank cash than take a card.

Has anyone mentioned your last sentence to Marcus Evans? Needed card machines at PR for years.
A pub where cash is useless on 12:46 - Dec 12 with 2946 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Good job there are another 3,600-odd pubs in London to choose from then

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

A pub where cash is useless on 12:47 - Dec 12 with 2945 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

A pub where cash is useless on 21:55 - Dec 11 by Bent_double

I hope it doesn't become the norm anytime soon, infact should they even be allowed to 'ban' cash - many people still use/rely on cash on a day-to-day basis, I appreciate that this business is just a pub and therefore not essential to many people, but I would hate to see too many businesses going down this route.

I accept/prefer to receive cash in my business, and I prefer to use it when buying smaller items. When I get paid by card, I'm paying a few % to a faceless, global corporation for the privilege.

Although many businesses do operate via this route already - online for example

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

A pub where cash is useless on 12:52 - Dec 12 with 2932 viewsNo9

A pub where cash is useless on 21:52 - Dec 11 by BloomBlue

Because it excludes the poor and homeless who only have cash

Which is why you support it?
A pub where cash is useless on 13:14 - Dec 12 with 2917 viewsBrixtonBlue

A pub where cash is useless on 11:20 - Dec 12 by itfcjoe

People have given good reasons as to why they prefer cash - control on a night out or in general spending being one.

Others potentially along lines of cash is (was!) accepted everywhere so can be useful for buses, taxis, if you need help from someone.

And some people don't like having spending tracked - whether that by Big Brother, or their partner!

I understand the first reason, but that's really because people are just used to that way. They'd eventually be used to cards over time. I bet people were resistant to cash when it was first introduced, in much the same way.

I think the Big Brother thing is hard to escape in lots of ways, even if you were to only ever use cash.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

A pub where cash is useless on 13:18 - Dec 12 with 2914 viewsReuser_is_God

A pub where cash is useless on 11:23 - Dec 12 by itfcjoe

I agree with that - especially now out of town branches are closing all the time.

We have to go from Purdis Farm either into town or to Bramford Road to bank a cheque - will take well over an hour to do so. Used to have branches on Derby Road, Nacton Road, Woodbridge Road East, Felixstowe Road

1st world problems....

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

A pub where cash is useless on 13:18 - Dec 12 with 2914 viewsBrixtonBlue

My ex housemate got a tax rebate in the form of a cheque which sat in our house for weeks.

They take it away through electronic means, can't they send it back similarly?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024