Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just spoke to an agent... 23:45 - Dec 11 with 18048 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Just a close friend of mine for years, has said Lambert is absolutely desperate to get in a veteran striker but is finding wages a big problem already.

Just a reality of how far behind we are with our wage structure. Even though Evans is the seventh richest owner in the football league and the number 1 millionaire ahead of Derby, Forest, Sheff Wed, Leeds, Sheff Utd, Middlesbrough.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Just spoke to an agent... on 20:28 - Dec 12 with 3494 viewsNthsuffolkblue

To be fair, Sky do pay high wages even to someone with as low a profile on there as Darren Bent.

I guess he had better move on to his second choice target now.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Just spoke to an agent... on 22:29 - Dec 12 with 3392 viewsagentp

Just spoke to an agent... on 20:25 - Dec 12 by jjblue84

We’re miles off any spending limits, we’re at the other end of the scale!

Please explain how it works then and tell me how much extra ME is allowed to put in.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2018 22:39]

Poll: If only these two were available who would you choose for the rest of the season

Just spoke to an agent... on 22:46 - Dec 12 with 3371 viewsjjblue84

Just spoke to an agent... on 22:29 - Dec 12 by agentp

Please explain how it works then and tell me how much extra ME is allowed to put in.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2018 22:39]

Start with the wage bill, that will give you a good general indicator of the likelihood of success...
Just spoke to an agent... on 09:02 - Dec 13 with 3264 viewsagentp

Just spoke to an agent... on 22:46 - Dec 12 by jjblue84

Start with the wage bill, that will give you a good general indicator of the likelihood of success...

That wasn't what I asked. I asked you to explain how FFP etc worked and then say how much extra ME can put in. The conclusion would be 'How much difference would that extra funding make.'

Anyone can moan and say we don't spend enough. Just wondered if you i) actually knew how it works and ii) can give me a figure?

Poll: If only these two were available who would you choose for the rest of the season

Just spoke to an agent... on 10:13 - Dec 13 with 3231 viewsjjblue84

Just spoke to an agent... on 09:02 - Dec 13 by agentp

That wasn't what I asked. I asked you to explain how FFP etc worked and then say how much extra ME can put in. The conclusion would be 'How much difference would that extra funding make.'

Anyone can moan and say we don't spend enough. Just wondered if you i) actually knew how it works and ii) can give me a figure?

And I didn’t say it was about money, I said it was about competence!
Just spoke to an agent... on 11:08 - Dec 13 with 3198 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Just spoke to an agent... on 10:13 - Dec 13 by jjblue84

And I didn’t say it was about money, I said it was about competence!

It was about money.

'We're miles off any spending limits' which implies you know how much we spend, how close we are to the limit, and what those limits actually are.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Just spoke to an agent... on 11:24 - Dec 13 with 3169 viewsArgyle_blue

I was chasing to a bloke at the cricket whose son's friend is a youth player at Derby - been on the bench a few times. He's on 10k as a youth player. Am I right in thinking that our top earners (e.g. Bart) are on that sort of money? If so we've got no chance of competing. This situation is a function of ME's model which is not fit for purpose. MM papered over the cracks for a long time but that was never going to last. We need a real statement / plan from Evans - I'm surprised there has not been more aimed at him given the current mess.
Just spoke to an agent... on 11:26 - Dec 13 with 3163 viewsSuperfrans

Just spoke to an agent... on 09:57 - Dec 12 by Guthrum

I spent six years doing a job much of which involved looking at the disposable income of the very wealthy (with a view to touching them for large charitable donations). I can state as a fact that £700m in the Sunday Times Rich List does not mean more than a tiny fraction of that as cash in the bank, or even disposable income.

Look at it this way: If you owned assets with a net worth of £100k (e.g. house minus remaining mortgage), that is your wealth (plus a bit for household income). Despite that £100k, you cannot afford to go the the Bahamas five times a year, not unless you want to sell your home to do so (and once the money's gone, it's gone).

However, if you'd won £100k on the lottery (not too far different from those who happened to inherit land full of cheaply-extracted oil or obtained lucrative government contracts in the Far East), then you could spend as much of that cash as you liked without implications.

Good post.

It passes people by on here the difference between paper wealth and disposible income. I dare say there are a few millionaires who post on here, if you count their assets - a house in London or nice part of Suffolk, maybe a decent car, that high value programme collection.. ;-) But they wouldn't necessarily claim to be flush with cash and certainly wouldn't have millions to throw around.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Login to get fewer ads

Just spoke to an agent... on 11:57 - Dec 13 with 3115 viewsjjblue84

Just spoke to an agent... on 11:08 - Dec 13 by JammyDodgerrr

It was about money.

'We're miles off any spending limits' which implies you know how much we spend, how close we are to the limit, and what those limits actually are.

It doesn’t matter how much money you’ve got, if you don’t know how to spend it!
Just spoke to an agent... on 12:02 - Dec 13 with 3101 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Just spoke to an agent... on 11:57 - Dec 13 by jjblue84

It doesn’t matter how much money you’ve got, if you don’t know how to spend it!

Then it's nothing to do with spending limits, is it? You're just criticising ME and how he chooses to use his money, which would be wide of the mark anyway as he is clearly a smart man with his money, and as explained above, he likely doesn't have the cashflow anyway.

Just spoke to an agent... on 12:25 - Dec 13 with 3059 viewsBenters2

Just spoke to an agent... on 12:32 - Dec 12 by jaykay

i think you have wasted 5 mins off your time, trying to explain things to him.
end of

You are correct I fell asleep reading it 😇
Just spoke to an agent... on 12:36 - Dec 13 with 3036 viewsjjblue84

Just spoke to an agent... on 12:02 - Dec 13 by JammyDodgerrr

Then it's nothing to do with spending limits, is it? You're just criticising ME and how he chooses to use his money, which would be wide of the mark anyway as he is clearly a smart man with his money, and as explained above, he likely doesn't have the cashflow anyway.

Yes he clearly is smart as he’s taken a football club with premier league ambitions and turned it into a third division club, losing £100m in the process. Pure genius!
Just spoke to an agent... on 12:46 - Dec 13 with 3011 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Just spoke to an agent... on 12:36 - Dec 13 by jjblue84

Yes he clearly is smart as he’s taken a football club with premier league ambitions and turned it into a third division club, losing £100m in the process. Pure genius!

Still a club with premier league ambitions. Not relegated yet. He can hardly be accountable for Keane/Jewell/Hurst failings. Some blame is at his door, but not all of it.

Just spoke to an agent... on 13:27 - Dec 13 with 2977 viewsjjblue84

Just spoke to an agent... on 12:46 - Dec 13 by JammyDodgerrr

Still a club with premier league ambitions. Not relegated yet. He can hardly be accountable for Keane/Jewell/Hurst failings. Some blame is at his door, but not all of it.

Just spoke to an agent... on 16:19 - Dec 13 with 2901 viewsRadlett_blue

Just spoke to an agent... on 12:02 - Dec 13 by JammyDodgerrr

Evans could easily spend more money on Town if he wished. He could simply borrow against his assets - he doesn't have to use cash in the bank.
However, what he spends on Town is his choice & we can't do anything about it. However, even he must realise relegation is a probability, which will severely reduce Town's value.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Just spoke to an agent... on 16:29 - Dec 13 with 2890 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Just spoke to an agent... on 12:46 - Dec 13 by JammyDodgerrr

Literally his job to ensure we have the correct manager and that they are backed in the right manner.

Keane: awful manager - Backed
Jewell: awful manager - Backed
McCarthy: Good manager - Not backed correctly
Hurst: awful manager - Backed with money from selling our best players
Lambert: Who knows?

In promotion hunt: Failed to invest in January
In danger of relegation: Stuck with failing managers for too long.

....Literally his job...

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Just spoke to an agent... on 09:34 - Dec 14 with 2751 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Just spoke to an agent... on 16:29 - Dec 13 by Cheltenham_Blue

Literally his job to ensure we have the correct manager and that they are backed in the right manner.

Keane: awful manager - Backed
Jewell: awful manager - Backed
McCarthy: Good manager - Not backed correctly
Hurst: awful manager - Backed with money from selling our best players
Lambert: Who knows?

In promotion hunt: Failed to invest in January
In danger of relegation: Stuck with failing managers for too long.

....Literally his job...

I will agree that it is an error that he did not back MM correctly , and failed to invest when we were chasing promotion in that January. Keane/Jewell/Hurst - yes with hindsight were bad managers or out of their depth. But at the time he had no way of knowing that and they looked the right appointment. And in today's world it seems weird to criticse for giving managers too much time - he believed in them and wanted to give them every chance to turn it around.

Just spoke to an agent... on 09:52 - Dec 14 with 2738 viewsmrshallisfit

Just spoke to an agent... on 09:34 - Dec 14 by JammyDodgerrr

I will agree that it is an error that he did not back MM correctly , and failed to invest when we were chasing promotion in that January. Keane/Jewell/Hurst - yes with hindsight were bad managers or out of their depth. But at the time he had no way of knowing that and they looked the right appointment. And in today's world it seems weird to criticse for giving managers too much time - he believed in them and wanted to give them every chance to turn it around.

He made those appointments, What we can sum up from this is firstly he usually doesn't make good appointments. And two he doesn't know when and when not to invest. In addition, for much of his tenure he was largely absent from the club. A businessmen he is. A football owner he is not.
Just spoke to an agent... on 11:54 - Dec 14 with 2694 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Just spoke to an agent... on 09:52 - Dec 14 by mrshallisfit

He made those appointments, What we can sum up from this is firstly he usually doesn't make good appointments. And two he doesn't know when and when not to invest. In addition, for much of his tenure he was largely absent from the club. A businessmen he is. A football owner he is not.

The appointments all looked fine at the time. Keane won promotion with sunderland and did alright in the PL. Jewell had a decent track record. Hurst was a young and up coming manager who had succeeded in the lower leagues - something majority of the fans were calling out for post MM. And it's unfair to say he is largely absent, he would be involved daily. He doesn't have to be based at the club for that.

Just spoke to an agent... on 13:03 - Dec 14 with 2677 viewsPJH

Just spoke to an agent... on 11:54 - Dec 14 by JammyDodgerrr

The appointments all looked fine at the time. Keane won promotion with sunderland and did alright in the PL. Jewell had a decent track record. Hurst was a young and up coming manager who had succeeded in the lower leagues - something majority of the fans were calling out for post MM. And it's unfair to say he is largely absent, he would be involved daily. He doesn't have to be based at the club for that.

I agree that at the time there was logic behind every one of ME's appointments-the fact that three of them turned out to be disasters does not negate the logic in the actual appointments.
Just spoke to an agent... on 15:48 - Dec 14 with 2633 viewsRadlett_blue

Just spoke to an agent... on 11:54 - Dec 14 by JammyDodgerrr

Keane - yes, had achieved success in a short management career.
Jewell - yes, he's got Bradford & Wigan promoted, but his subsequent tenures at Sheffield Wednesday & Derby had been unmitigated disasters. I felt bad about the appointment when it happened, although anything after Keane was naturally a relief.
Hurst was a reasonable gamble on paper but, as with Keane, giving him carte blanche to turn the squad inside out was foolish.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Just spoke to an agent... on 17:23 - Dec 14 with 2605 viewsbraveblue

Just spoke to an agent... on 23:54 - Dec 11 by Guthrum

Not all riches are the same. An oil sheikh or Russian/Far Eastern tycoon will have far more cash available and fewer constraints on using it than a traditional Western businessman like Evans, most of whose wealth is tied up in company shares.

Then he needs to sell up and get lost.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024