Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Have to feel sorry for Theresa May this morning... 09:41 - Dec 12 with 5209 viewscarlisleaway

What is she supposed to do considering the cards that were dealt her before coming Prime Minister.
Perhaps the anti Tories, Labour Party and others think they can do better.....Paul Hurst for PM
Have to feel sorry for Theresa May this morning... on 09:46 - Dec 12 with 4316 viewsDarth_Koont

Think this was covered pretty well here.

All very well everyone having a go at Theresa May by Guthrum 11 Dec 2018 9:17
But it's worth remembering her task involved organising something which half the country didn't want in the first place and the other half couldn't decide what version they were after, dealing with a multi-headed entity having its own range of agendas and little incentive to make things easy. All the while plagued by brainless "advisors" and rivals more intent upon factional struggle or seizing power for themselves than the national interest.

It would have taken a politician of extraordinary talents to pull that off. May isn't that (neither is Johnson nor, I strongly suspect, Corbyn), but at least she's still fighting.

For my part, I think she's an awful opportunist who is getting her just desserts along with the rest of her party.

Pronouns: He/Him

Have to feel sorry for Theresa May this morning... on 10:01 - Dec 12 with 4276 viewsGuthrum

Have to feel sorry for Theresa May this morning... on 09:46 - Dec 12 by Darth_Koont

But it's worth remembering her task involved organising something which half the country didn't want in the first place and the other half couldn't decide what version they were after, dealing with a multi-headed entity having its own range of agendas and little incentive to make things easy. All the while plagued by brainless "advisors" and rivals more intent upon factional struggle or seizing power for themselves than the national interest.

It would have taken a politician of extraordinary talents to pull that off. May isn't that (neither is Johnson nor, I strongly suspect, Corbyn), but at least she's still fighting.

For my part, I think she's an awful opportunist who is getting her just desserts along with the rest of her party.

Wouldn't say I feel sorry for her, especially given the lack of dynamic leadership and effectiveness she has brought to the role of PM (not to mention her record as Home Secretary), but do have some appreciation for the severe difficulty of that particular task.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Have to feel sorry for Theresa May this morning... on 10:19 - Dec 12 with 4238 viewsUncle_Bulgaria

On a personal level, I do feel sorry for her.....and there's no doubt that she had a very difficult task ahead of her after the referendum vote.

However, on a professional level, she has managed the whole process appallingly. Trying to get away with negotiating the softest non-Brexit to appease the Remain minority who have become increasingly emboldened throughout the negotiation process as they realised May's true intentions. The current situation is entirely of her own making for a number of reasons - and her apparent desire to "fight on" is the height of delusion.
Have to feel sorry for Theresa May this morning... on 10:29 - Dec 12 with 4215 viewsBinner

She hasn't helped herself by continually making promises she had no chance of keeping. Nor by failing to resolve various Brexit sticking points and instead putting off decision making to some future time. The chickens are coming home to roost.

Having said that, I think that she has a good chance of surviving the no-confidence vote with a decent enough majority to continue as PM.

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

Have to feel sorry for Theresa May this morning... on 10:47 - Dec 12 with 4179 viewsPinewoodblue

Most of us will know someone who kept being promoted until they reached a position where their level of incompetence was clearly visible. Theresa should have stayed as Home Secretary.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Have to feel sorry for Theresa May this morning... on 11:39 - Dec 12 with 4116 viewsKeaneish

Have to feel sorry for Theresa May this morning... on 09:46 - Dec 12 by Darth_Koont

You have to be an opportunist to be successful in politics.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Have to feel sorry for Theresa May this morning... on 11:44 - Dec 12 with 4100 viewsTractorWood

Shock as person who didn't want to leave the EU because it's a ridiculous decision hasn't successfully completed impossible negotiations in a ridiculous timeframe to the satisfaction of everyones unbelievably wide ranging views.

I'm no fan of hers but the whole situation is a farce. I have a begrudging respect for on a personal level. Everyone else has run away or fired shots from afar without any accountability.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Have to feel sorry for Theresa May this morning... on 11:51 - Dec 12 with 4079 viewsBrixtonBlue

Have to feel sorry for Theresa May this morning... on 11:44 - Dec 12 by TractorWood

Shock as person who didn't want to leave the EU because it's a ridiculous decision hasn't successfully completed impossible negotiations in a ridiculous timeframe to the satisfaction of everyones unbelievably wide ranging views.

I'm no fan of hers but the whole situation is a farce. I have a begrudging respect for on a personal level. Everyone else has run away or fired shots from afar without any accountability.

The only reason she hasn't run away is she can't. She's done the next best thing to it though - in delaying things. Which does nothing but damage the country further.

How anyone can have sympathy for her while she wrecks the country we all live in is beyond me.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Login to get fewer ads

Have to feel sorry for Theresa May this morning... on 12:12 - Dec 12 with 4046 viewsSwansea_Blue

A short summary of where we have got to:

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The only people that are wrecking the country..... on 12:35 - Dec 12 with 4012 viewsBloots

Have to feel sorry for Theresa May this morning... on 11:51 - Dec 12 by BrixtonBlue

The only reason she hasn't run away is she can't. She's done the next best thing to it though - in delaying things. Which does nothing but damage the country further.

How anyone can have sympathy for her while she wrecks the country we all live in is beyond me.

....are the daft old racists who thought that leaving the EU would stop illegal immigrants from Africa and the Middle East trying to get into Britain.

TWTD Leadership Group: Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Anti-Bullying Crusader

Interesting that the Tory MPs..... on 12:37 - Dec 12 with 3999 viewsBloots

....can have a second vote on who should be their leader because they think they made the wrong decision the first time round.

Hmmmm.

TWTD Leadership Group: Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Anti-Bullying Crusader

Have to feel sorry for Theresa May this morning... on 12:58 - Dec 12 with 3948 viewsNo9

"The cards were not dealt her." Not so.
The deck of cards was on the table - she picked them up
Unless she has been in another universe she must have been aware of the fact that Europe is the end of the road for many tory PM's - history shows that.

No matter who stand against the tories the media will destroy, that is the way it has been for decades history shows that also
Have to feel sorry for Theresa May this morning... on 13:08 - Dec 12 with 3920 viewsBrixtonBlue

Have to feel sorry for Theresa May this morning... on 12:58 - Dec 12 by No9

"The cards were not dealt her." Not so.
The deck of cards was on the table - she picked them up
Unless she has been in another universe she must have been aware of the fact that Europe is the end of the road for many tory PM's - history shows that.

No matter who stand against the tories the media will destroy, that is the way it has been for decades history shows that also

What she actually did is see the cr@p hand Cameron hand-picked for himself, because he thought he was playing a different game, and thought 'I'll have a go with those.'

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Have to feel sorry for Theresa May this morning... on 13:13 - Dec 12 with 3913 viewsNo9

Have to feel sorry for Theresa May this morning... on 13:08 - Dec 12 by BrixtonBlue

What she actually did is see the cr@p hand Cameron hand-picked for himself, because he thought he was playing a different game, and thought 'I'll have a go with those.'

Looking long & hard at what happened in the tory party I don't think either Cameron or May was pro European.
& as Home Sec, much of the immigration crap was stirred by May.
Have to feel sorry for Theresa May this morning... on 13:26 - Dec 12 with 3903 viewsusm

Have to feel sorry for Theresa May this morning... on 13:08 - Dec 12 by BrixtonBlue

Cameron should have stayed on, in my view but he wasnt strong enough.
Fair play to May, she stepped up where many others wouldnt dare, and has done her best - whether this is good enough is a matter of opinion, but it is easy to be critical whilst watching on. I havent heard too many of her critics come up with anything concrete as an alternative.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Have to feel sorry for Theresa May this morning... on 14:03 - Dec 12 with 3850 viewsBrixtonBlue

Have to feel sorry for Theresa May this morning... on 13:26 - Dec 12 by usm

Fair play to May, she stepped up where many others wouldnt dare, and has done her best - whether this is good enough is a matter of opinion, but it is easy to be critical whilst watching on. I havent heard too many of her critics come up with anything concrete as an alternative.

Many of her critics have said get on with it rather than looking for ways to delay things. The delay just prolongs uncertainty and businesses sit on their potential investments in this country... or take them elsewhere.

As someone brilliantly put it yesterday - for 'stepping up' see a dead-eyed lust for power.

Have to feel sorry for Theresa May this morning... on 14:47 - Dec 12 with 3817 viewsNo9

Have to feel sorry for Theresa May this morning... on 13:26 - Dec 12 by usm

For a long while Mrs May has hankered after the leader / PM slot, it isn't new she would have taken this job no matter what.
Her time as Home Sec should have been seen by everyone as a disaster meanign she was never the right person for the PM job in difficult times.
She is the modern day Eden
Have to feel sorry for Theresa May this morning... on 14:54 - Dec 12 with 3808 viewsPinewoodblue

Have to feel sorry for Theresa May this morning... on 14:47 - Dec 12 by No9

For a long while Mrs May has hankered after the leader / PM slot, it isn't new she would have taken this job no matter what.
Her time as Home Sec should have been seen by everyone as a disaster meanign she was never the right person for the PM job in difficult times.
She is the modern day Eden

In reality she wasn't elected, she was the only candidate left standing so was elected by default .

2023 year of destiny

Have to feel sorry for Theresa May this morning... on 10:12 - Dec 13 with 3699 viewsPositivelyPortman

Have to feel sorry for Theresa May this morning... on 10:47 - Dec 12 by Pinewoodblue

Most of us will know someone who kept being promoted until they reached a position where their level of incompetence was clearly visible. Theresa should have stayed as Home Secretary.

She was p!ss poor as Home Secretary too.
Narcissistic old bag.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

Have to feel sorry for Theresa May this morning... on 10:40 - Dec 13 with 3668 viewsBurwell_Blue

£160k PA

I would not think she gives 2 sh1ts to be honest.

Ride the money train for as long as possible and then fade into the background.
Have to feel sorry for Theresa May this morning... on 10:50 - Dec 13 with 3655 viewsCotty

She chose to stand for leader AFTER the referendum. She set ridiculous red lines that meant a successful negotiation was essentially impossible. She called an election and lost her majority and so is now at the beck and call of extreme views in her own party and in the DUP.

I have zero sympathy. The situation she is in is entirely of her own construction. And there is a good chance that we will ALL suffer for it.
Have to feel sorry for Theresa May this morning... on 12:48 - Dec 13 with 3580 viewsPinewoodblue

Have to feel sorry for Theresa May this morning... on 10:50 - Dec 13 by Cotty

She chose to stand for leader AFTER the referendum. She set ridiculous red lines that meant a successful negotiation was essentially impossible. She called an election and lost her majority and so is now at the beck and call of extreme views in her own party and in the DUP.

I have zero sympathy. The situation she is in is entirely of her own construction. And there is a good chance that we will ALL suffer for it.

While I agree with everything you have said it has to be remembered that the EU also have red lines and it was always clear that they were incompatible with very little prospect of an agreement bring reached.

While my heart told me the country would be better off, long term, outside of the EU my head told me that the prospects of an amicable agreement were so remote that it was best to vote remain.

She walked into this with her eyes open and only has herself to blame for the position she finds herself in.

The biggest priority now is to find a way out of this mess. The two major parties went into the last election with a commitment to leave the EU. The biggest losers in the election were the two parties s who wanted to remain, Lib Dems & SDP. If the Tories had not gained 12 seats in Scotland May would not have a working majority even with the full support of the DUP.

Parliament has tied the government down so that any agreement needs the be agreed by Parliament but as far as I can see there is no requirement for Parliament to agree a no deal hard Brexit so we fall out of the EU, totally unprepared, on 29th March.

2023 year of destiny

Have to feel sorry for Theresa May this morning... on 14:10 - Dec 13 with 3531 viewsNo9

Have to feel sorry for Theresa May this morning... on 12:48 - Dec 13 by Pinewoodblue

While I agree with everything you have said it has to be remembered that the EU also have red lines and it was always clear that they were incompatible with very little prospect of an agreement bring reached.

While my heart told me the country would be better off, long term, outside of the EU my head told me that the prospects of an amicable agreement were so remote that it was best to vote remain.

She walked into this with her eyes open and only has herself to blame for the position she finds herself in.

The biggest priority now is to find a way out of this mess. The two major parties went into the last election with a commitment to leave the EU. The biggest losers in the election were the two parties s who wanted to remain, Lib Dems & SDP. If the Tories had not gained 12 seats in Scotland May would not have a working majority even with the full support of the DUP.

Parliament has tied the government down so that any agreement needs the be agreed by Parliament but as far as I can see there is no requirement for Parliament to agree a no deal hard Brexit so we fall out of the EU, totally unprepared, on 29th March.

There are 27 other countries in the EU, don't you think they have a right to look after their own affairs?
After members of this government chucked many public insults at EU members & individuals do you think that is a good way to conduct negotiations?
When we have incompetent ministers (one who camandeered an RAF plane for his EU trips) who have been totally unable to move off base one since the referendum don't you thnk they should give up?
Of course what the tories are concerend about now is that making everyone worse off isn't going to go down very well -will you accept that?
In the meantime poverty & food bank use increases, businesses shut up shop, public services crumble & councils go bust-
During this lot we've had a tory government we really do need to wake up.
Have to feel sorry for Theresa May this morning... on 14:19 - Dec 13 with 3514 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

In the spirit of Christmas......."Oh no we don't.......!"

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Have to feel sorry for Theresa May this morning... on 14:22 - Dec 13 with 3510 viewsPinewoodblue

Have to feel sorry for Theresa May this morning... on 14:10 - Dec 13 by No9

There are 27 other countries in the EU, don't you think they have a right to look after their own affairs?
After members of this government chucked many public insults at EU members & individuals do you think that is a good way to conduct negotiations?
When we have incompetent ministers (one who camandeered an RAF plane for his EU trips) who have been totally unable to move off base one since the referendum don't you thnk they should give up?
Of course what the tories are concerend about now is that making everyone worse off isn't going to go down very well -will you accept that?
In the meantime poverty & food bank use increases, businesses shut up shop, public services crumble & councils go bust-
During this lot we've had a tory government we really do need to wake up.

Would you agree that the one thing the EU are determined to avoid is the UK coming out of this with a competitive advantage?

2023 year of destiny

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024