Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So.... who should I vote for at the next election?? 12:24 - Dec 12 with 14389 viewsCurrie10

A lot of people on here seem to fancy they know a lot re politics.
Let’s actually listen - who should I vote for next time??

Tories - mess central
Labour - weak opposition who love benefits
Lib Dem’s - to my mind finished due to coalition
UKIP - turns out the Farage party... done
Greens - pressure group that grow a small amount each time

Oh the options!!

Points for justification to that party - not simply slamming opposition....

So.... who should I vote for at the next election?? on 17:13 - Dec 12 with 4243 viewsHerbivore

So.... who should I vote for at the next election?? on 12:41 - Dec 12 by Guthrum

If enough people voted upon the qualities of the candidate and fewer automatically by party, then change would happen (and those standing would improve).

What's really needed is a grass roots campaign to take back control from entitled and complacent political parties. It's been done often enough at local council level.

What's really needed is PR in my opinion. However you slice it the first past the post system essentially results in the majority of votes being thrown in the bin and a huge inequality in the value of a vote depending on your constituency. It's an outdated system.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

So.... who should I vote for at the next election?? on 17:19 - Dec 12 with 4233 viewsJ2BLUE

So.... who should I vote for at the next election?? on 15:18 - Dec 12 by Meadowlark

And of course be sure not to consider anyone else's needs! Just think of yourself.

I always find this a bit odd. Whose needs do you consider above your own and your family's needs?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

So.... who should I vote for at the next election?? on 17:26 - Dec 12 with 4220 viewscaught-in-limbo

So.... who should I vote for at the next election?? on 17:13 - Dec 12 by Herbivore

What's really needed is PR in my opinion. However you slice it the first past the post system essentially results in the majority of votes being thrown in the bin and a huge inequality in the value of a vote depending on your constituency. It's an outdated system.

The last time I looked, and it was a looooong time ago, the two main parties were dead against PR, so it was never going to happen.

As you think it's one of the key changes that our political system needs, what ways exist which may bring about a move to PR?

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

So.... who should I vote for at the next election?? on 17:28 - Dec 12 with 4224 viewsHerbivore

So.... who should I vote for at the next election?? on 17:26 - Dec 12 by caught-in-limbo

The last time I looked, and it was a looooong time ago, the two main parties were dead against PR, so it was never going to happen.

As you think it's one of the key changes that our political system needs, what ways exist which may bring about a move to PR?

I think posting on here ought to do it.

So.... who should I vote for at the next election?? on 17:32 - Dec 12 with 4214 viewscaught-in-limbo

So.... who should I vote for at the next election?? on 17:28 - Dec 12 by Herbivore

I think posting on here ought to do it.

Well, it certainly looks like that's as far as you're going to go to get what you want.

#toxic

So.... who should I vote for at the next election?? on 17:33 - Dec 12 with 4218 viewsHerbivore

So.... who should I vote for at the next election?? on 17:32 - Dec 12 by caught-in-limbo

Well, it certainly looks like that's as far as you're going to go to get what you want.

What do you suggest?

So.... who should I vote for at the next election?? on 17:34 - Dec 12 with 4218 viewsm14_blue

Why has the coalition finished the lib dems for you?

Or do you mean finished as a party generally?
So.... who should I vote for at the next election?? on 17:44 - Dec 12 with 4198 viewscaught-in-limbo

So.... who should I vote for at the next election?? on 17:33 - Dec 12 by Herbivore

What do you suggest?

If you feel that voting won't get you what you want, perhaps not voting at all combined with starting a social media campaign explaining your reasons for not voting might be more effective than wishing the impossible on a football forum.

#toxic

Login to get fewer ads

So.... who should I vote for at the next election?? on 17:46 - Dec 12 with 4205 viewsjas0999

Depends who the leaders are. Under no circumstances would I vote for a Jeremy Corbyn led Labour Party. This is despite the fact I wouldn’t want to vote Tory. But would over Corbyn.
So.... who should I vote for at the next election?? on 17:46 - Dec 12 with 4193 viewsNo9

So.... who should I vote for at the next election?? on 14:12 - Dec 12 by Currie10

As someone who worked for the NHS for over 10 years, including the finance side of things - while I absolutely LOVE the NHS - people go on about it needs more £££.

Perhaps it does - however, it needs to use the ££££ it has a lot more efficiently in the first place.....

Story for another day!
[Post edited 12 Dec 2018 14:16]

If a tory government is vote with a large majority you can wave bye, bye to the NHS.

If brexit goes through you may find the NHS has no moeny as the yanks will bleed it dry.

The NHS being unaffordable was commenced by the tories in the 80's
So.... who should I vote for at the next election?? on 18:35 - Dec 12 with 4184 viewsMelford

Doesn't matter in South Suffolk, they could pin a blue rosette on a donkey round here and it would get elected.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

So.... who should I vote for at the next election?? on 18:46 - Dec 12 with 4179 viewsDarth_Koont

It's a wasted vote unless you live in a constituency where it's a close fight.

Read somewhere that 70% of votes in this country are effectively meaningless because they're not votes for the winning candidate. Which means that our votes are only statistically significant - which is the same as for the people who don't vote.

Combine that with a genuine lack of regional representation and power (mirrored at county and municipal level too) and it's not hard to see why people feel left out by politics and end up voting for populist windbags.

The pathetically unrepresentative and unaccountable UK political system is our blind spot like guns are a blind spot for Americans.

Pronouns: He/Him

So.... who should I vote for at the next election?? on 18:53 - Dec 12 with 4163 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Neville Chamberlain, definite info.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

So.... who should I vote for at the next election?? on 18:54 - Dec 12 with 4158 viewsHerbivore

So.... who should I vote for at the next election?? on 17:44 - Dec 12 by caught-in-limbo

If you feel that voting won't get you what you want, perhaps not voting at all combined with starting a social media campaign explaining your reasons for not voting might be more effective than wishing the impossible on a football forum.

Yeah, I'm sure not voting and posting on social media will do it. Cheers.

So.... who should I vote for at the next election?? on 19:09 - Dec 12 with 4144 viewsPinewoodblue

So.... who should I vote for at the next election?? on 18:35 - Dec 12 by Melford

Doesn't matter in South Suffolk, they could pin a blue rosette on a donkey round here and it would get elected.

Agreed but they did de-select Mr Yeo. A relative small number of people did that and selected the new candidate ( although he is also my MP his name escapes me) who was guaranteed election. In effect a few dozen people were responsible for electing the MP for South Suffolk.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

So.... who should I vote for at the next election?? on 19:46 - Dec 12 with 4111 viewscaught-in-limbo

So.... who should I vote for at the next election?? on 18:54 - Dec 12 by Herbivore

Yeah, I'm sure not voting and posting on social media will do it. Cheers.

You carry on voting and perpetuating the very system you don't want, because that really will work. Brilliant.

#toxic

So.... who should I vote for at the next election?? on 19:51 - Dec 12 with 4111 viewsblueconscience

All parties promise everything and deliver nothing, so just close your eyes and tick a random box.

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

So.... who should I vote for at the next election?? on 19:59 - Dec 12 with 4105 viewsMelford

So.... who should I vote for at the next election?? on 19:09 - Dec 12 by Pinewoodblue

Agreed but they did de-select Mr Yeo. A relative small number of people did that and selected the new candidate ( although he is also my MP his name escapes me) who was guaranteed election. In effect a few dozen people were responsible for electing the MP for South Suffolk.

James Cartlidge. In the same way that Yeo was a nice-but-dim MP who has a cushy majority. It's almost feudal in a way that the constituency will almost certainly run by 50 odd old Tory farts.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

So.... who should I vote for at the next election?? on 20:03 - Dec 12 with 4100 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Labour "love benefits".

Why do you (by implication) hate benefits?

Do you include amongst benefits the right to paid holidays, the NHS and a state pension?

If you are against all these you are in line with Tory policy. If you are for them then Labour represents your interests. Whilst the LibDems are also in favour of them, they (as you suggest) are pretty much unelectable save on their official anti-Brexit stance.

At the end of the day in most constituencies you have two choices (sometimes different ones in different seats) or you may just as well spoil your ballot paper. It is a sad fact of our electoral system (which again the LibDems wanted to change but were done out of it in a sharp move when they did go in for the coalition).

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

So.... who should I vote for at the next election?? on 20:53 - Dec 12 with 4071 viewsHerbivore

So.... who should I vote for at the next election?? on 19:46 - Dec 12 by caught-in-limbo

You carry on voting and perpetuating the very system you don't want, because that really will work. Brilliant.

Me not voting will definitely do it.

So.... who should I vote for at the next election?? on 05:59 - Dec 13 with 4003 viewscaught-in-limbo

So.... who should I vote for at the next election?? on 20:53 - Dec 12 by Herbivore

Me not voting will definitely do it.

You endorse the existing system that you don't want so the system thinks that's what you do want. Then you cry about it on a football forum. Brilliant.

You have absolutely no ideas.

#toxic

So.... who should I vote for at the next election?? on 06:20 - Dec 13 with 4001 viewsjjblue84

If everyone did that, we could have some new political parties!! Make sure you draw female parts too so you’re not barred for being sexist tho...
So.... who should I vote for at the next election?? on 06:39 - Dec 13 with 4000 viewsBluefish

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crisis_in_Venezuela

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.spectator.co.uk/2017/02/britain-under-corbyn-ju

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

So.... who should I vote for at the next election?? on 07:17 - Dec 13 with 3984 viewsCurrie10

So.... who should I vote for at the next election?? on 17:34 - Dec 12 by m14_blue

Why has the coalition finished the lib dems for you?

Or do you mean finished as a party generally?

Lib Dems popularity has spectacularly fallen since they were with the Tories.

Going to take them a long time to gain popularity.
So.... who should I vote for at the next election?? on 07:18 - Dec 13 with 3983 viewsCurrie10

So.... who should I vote for at the next election?? on 20:03 - Dec 12 by Nthsuffolkblue

Labour "love benefits".

Why do you (by implication) hate benefits?

Do you include amongst benefits the right to paid holidays, the NHS and a state pension?

If you are against all these you are in line with Tory policy. If you are for them then Labour represents your interests. Whilst the LibDems are also in favour of them, they (as you suggest) are pretty much unelectable save on their official anti-Brexit stance.

At the end of the day in most constituencies you have two choices (sometimes different ones in different seats) or you may just as well spoil your ballot paper. It is a sad fact of our electoral system (which again the LibDems wanted to change but were done out of it in a sharp move when they did go in for the coalition).

I think you know quite well the point I was making there.

Of course not.

You know what I was getting at.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024