Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
‘Secret ballot’ 19:47 - Dec 12 with 2337 viewsSitfcB

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

(No subject) (n/t) on 19:49 - Dec 12 with 2305 viewsJ2BLUE

Edit: Bloody internet. Was making the same point as Stokie.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2018 20:06]

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

‘Secret ballot’ on 19:49 - Dec 12 with 2297 viewsElderGrizzly

Quite a few of them are doing it. Mostly pro-remain so far
‘Secret ballot’ on 19:50 - Dec 12 with 2278 viewsSpruceMoose

Surely it is only secret if you want it to be?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

‘Secret ballot’ on 19:51 - Dec 12 with 2268 viewswkj

Michael Gove went and sodded off to the Conservative Club rather than vote apparently -

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

‘Secret ballot’ on 19:52 - Dec 12 with 2266 viewsStokieBlue

It's voluntarily secret.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

‘Secret ballot’ on 19:55 - Dec 12 with 2254 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I am not sure what the rules are on this but I believe it is illegal to take a photo of the ballot paper let alone share it in a general election and for good reason. To allow it enables people to coerce voters.

It should not be permissible.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

‘Secret ballot’ on 19:59 - Dec 12 with 2229 viewsElderGrizzly

‘Secret ballot’ on 19:55 - Dec 12 by Nthsuffolkblue

I am not sure what the rules are on this but I believe it is illegal to take a photo of the ballot paper let alone share it in a general election and for good reason. To allow it enables people to coerce voters.

It’s not a general election.

This is effectively a private club voting for a leader. It’s not illegal. One of the polls on here would hold as much weight
‘Secret ballot’ on 20:00 - Dec 12 with 2216 viewsSpruceMoose

‘Secret ballot’ on 19:51 - Dec 12 by wkj

Michael Gove went and sodded off to the Conservative Club rather than vote apparently -

That reminds me, got to pick up the Holiday Season hams from Whole Foods on my way home from work.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2018 20:01]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Login to get fewer ads

‘Secret ballot’ on 20:02 - Dec 12 with 2193 viewswkj

‘Secret ballot’ on 20:00 - Dec 12 by SpruceMoose

That reminds me, got to pick up the Holiday Season hams from Whole Foods on my way home from work.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2018 20:01]

Oh yeah, In the USA they eat ham for Christmas don't they *wretch*

Crybaby

CLOSED - 100% Turnout (n/t) on 20:03 - Dec 12 with 2202 viewsSitfcB

COYB

CLOSED - 100% Turnout (n/t) on 20:03 - Dec 12 with 2191 viewswkj

CLOSED - 100% Turnout (n/t) on 20:03 - Dec 12 by SitfcB

Thanks 12th Man

Crybaby

‘Secret ballot’ on 20:04 - Dec 12 with 2195 viewsTractorWood

‘Secret ballot’ on 19:55 - Dec 12 by Nthsuffolkblue

That law is intended to maintain secrecy in a polling station. You can take a picture of your postal vote and publicise it, if you deem necessary. This was confirmed by the electoral commission at the last general election.

This is a not a general election, so this law certainly doesn't apply.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2018 20:05]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

‘Secret ballot’ on 20:05 - Dec 12 with 2180 viewsNthsuffolkblue

‘Secret ballot’ on 19:59 - Dec 12 by ElderGrizzly

It’s not a general election.

This is effectively a private club voting for a leader. It’s not illegal. One of the polls on here would hold as much weight

As I said, I am not sure what the rules are here.

As I said, it ought to be secret because the coercion argument is equally valid.

If their club choose not to have those rules you are right it is acceptable. However, it is very poor if they choose not to have those rules.

CLOSED - 100% Turnout (n/t) on 20:08 - Dec 12 with 2158 viewsSitfcB

CLOSED - 100% Turnout (n/t) on 20:03 - Dec 12 by wkj

Thanks 12th Man

Someone’s gotta do it...

I was just thinking, does Mrs May get to vote?

COYB

CLOSED - 100% Turnout (n/t) on 20:09 - Dec 12 with 2150 viewsSpruceMoose

CLOSED - 100% Turnout (n/t) on 20:08 - Dec 12 by SitfcB

Someone’s gotta do it...

You would assume she has confidence in herself.

CLOSED - 100% Turnout (n/t) on 20:10 - Dec 12 with 2146 viewsJ2BLUE

CLOSED - 100% Turnout (n/t) on 20:08 - Dec 12 by SitfcB

Someone’s gotta do it...

Yes.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

‘Secret ballot’ on 20:13 - Dec 12 with 2131 viewsTractorWood

‘Secret ballot’ on 20:05 - Dec 12 by Nthsuffolkblue

As I said, it ought to be secret because the coercion argument is equally valid.

If their club choose not to have those rules you are right it is acceptable. However, it is very poor if they choose not to have those rules.

As I've pointed out, it's not about coercion in this context. The law you reference, which there is no record of anyone being prosecuted under, is to protect the electorate's right to secrecy during an election.

However, it could be considered an offence to attempt to coerce someone to post a picture of their postal vote, not your own.

‘Secret ballot’ on 20:24 - Dec 12 with 2090 viewsNthsuffolkblue

‘Secret ballot’ on 20:13 - Dec 12 by TractorWood

As I've pointed out, it's not about coercion in this context. The law you reference, which there is no record of anyone being prosecuted under, is to protect the electorate's right to secrecy during an election.

However, it could be considered an offence to attempt to coerce someone to post a picture of their postal vote, not your own.

"it is not about coercion in this context": why not?

"there is no record of anyone being prosecuted for": do you have any evidence of anyone doing it and not being prosecuted?

"it could be considered an offence to attempt to coerce someone …": I believe (although I may be wrong) for that reason it is an offence (in a General Election) to take the picture when at the ballot box, thereby reducing the chance for someone to coerce another individual. I was unaware of the case that allowed the photo of the postal vote. I suppose a postal vote by definition has different criteria attached to it.

CLOSED - 100% Turnout (n/t) on 20:24 - Dec 12 with 2088 viewsfactual_blue

CLOSED - 100% Turnout (n/t) on 20:09 - Dec 12 by SpruceMoose

You would assume she has confidence in herself.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

‘Secret ballot’ on 20:25 - Dec 12 with 2087 viewsSwansea_Blue

‘Secret ballot’ on 20:05 - Dec 12 by Nthsuffolkblue

They’re happy to stick their todgers in a pig’s mouth at the request of others, so can’t imaging they’d bat an eyelid at switching their vote.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

‘Secret ballot’ on 20:30 - Dec 12 with 2064 viewsTractorWood

‘Secret ballot’ on 20:24 - Dec 12 by Nthsuffolkblue

"it is not about coercion in this context": why not?

"there is no record of anyone being prosecuted for": do you have any evidence of anyone doing it and not being prosecuted?

"it could be considered an offence to attempt to coerce someone …": I believe (although I may be wrong) for that reason it is an offence (in a General Election) to take the picture when at the ballot box, thereby reducing the chance for someone to coerce another individual. I was unaware of the case that allowed the photo of the postal vote. I suppose a postal vote by definition has different criteria attached to it.

Here's two articles that broadly speaking confirm that secrecy is the really important factor and lightly touch on the vague and archaic law you refer to. A postal vote is only different in that it is not conducted at a polling station, a place where secrecy must be maintained.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-32451429

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/08/is-it-ille

‘Secret ballot’ on 23:53 - Dec 12 with 1884 viewsfactual_blue

The point about a secret ballot is that those running the ballot have no access as part of the set down process about how any individual has voted. In 19th century England, votes were recorded in an electoral book against the voters' names. This opens the process to abuse and corruption by those meant to be running the ballot.

If an individual voter chooses to disclose how they have voted in a secret ballot, that's up to them.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024