Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? 12:50 - Dec 13 with 32654 viewschicoazul

I say 30 years as it would include the alternative guys that came out of the mid 80s as well as the guys who were established then for e.g. Bernard Manning, Chubby Brown etc

For me it's tough but i would say Harry Enfield is consistently funny, has his finger on the pulse, is a good actor and Ruddy Hell It's Harry and Paul is the best comedy programme in ages.

In before Theresa May, David Cameron etc

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 09:03 - Dec 14 with 4423 viewsSuperfrans

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 08:51 - Dec 14 by connorscontract

Really? Ok, it's all subjective. I've seen that before and laughed again.

That's him taking the p1ss. It's a charity gala, and it's televised and he's thrown together an anecdote. That isn't anything like his stage shows which are very involved, precise, deeply-layered stories, usually of yearning.

There's ramshackle Kitson who often comperes shows and plays against his odd looks, stammer and tics by taking an ironic high status position, constantly self-references and deconstructs his jokes and just generally has a great time playing with the whole thing, whilst also being capable of destroying hecklers with walls of filth whilst stammering at the same time.

And then there's the thoughtful, precise, teller of tales of inter-weaving lives in miniature. It's beyond stand-up, whilst not being truly "normal" theatre either.

Personally, I love both.

That's not so much a pi$$take, more a combination of his very early work (2003) and Stewart Lee-style deconstruction. He simply hadn't evolved the kind of stuff he does now, at that stage.

I saw him at the National Theatre a couple of years ago and it was a totally brilliant. But more theatre/performance art than stand-up.

I'm aware that all this might sound incredibly pretentious to some people. But how *what he does* described isn't really important. It's really ground-breaking and very very entertaining.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 09:22 - Dec 14 with 4404 viewsurbanblue

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 09:03 - Dec 14 by Superfrans

That's not so much a pi$$take, more a combination of his very early work (2003) and Stewart Lee-style deconstruction. He simply hadn't evolved the kind of stuff he does now, at that stage.

I saw him at the National Theatre a couple of years ago and it was a totally brilliant. But more theatre/performance art than stand-up.

I'm aware that all this might sound incredibly pretentious to some people. But how *what he does* described isn't really important. It's really ground-breaking and very very entertaining.

I went to see him on a recommendation some years ago and came away thinking it was brilliant, clever and very, very funny. I knew so little about him prior that I couldn't believe it when he started stuttering and remember thinking how is this going to work?? His genius is such that when I tried to explain his act to others including the lines I loved I just couldn't!!
It just didn't work in that way.

I then saw him again in what was, yes indeed, more performance art then stand up, revisiting his childhood and where he grew up if I remember correctly. I was disappointed that it wasn't as funny but taken on it's own and in context it was quite moving.
Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 09:23 - Dec 14 with 4398 viewschicoazul

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 08:27 - Dec 14 by Deano69

Drifting slightly away from the brief, came across CK Louis on Spotify recently, I normally struggle with American stand up, but found his style and content really funny.

Hasnt all his stuff been pulled off Spotify? It certainly has from Netflix. He is persona non-grata at the moment, got #MeToo'd

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

on 09:55 - Dec 14 with 4382 views_

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 09:23 - Dec 14 by chicoazul

Hasnt all his stuff been pulled off Spotify? It certainly has from Netflix. He is persona non-grata at the moment, got #MeToo'd

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 11:55 - Dec 14 with 4359 viewsNo9

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 13:09 - Dec 13 by wallyvincent

Even in his later years no one better than Dave Allen.
Peter Kay of the modern era.

I would add to those two Billy Connolly
In this era PK has no equals
Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 12:03 - Dec 14 with 4358 viewsblueislander

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 11:55 - Dec 14 by No9

I would add to those two Billy Connolly
In this era PK has no equals

Just outside this time frame, but the greatest British comic genius was without doubt: Tommy Cooper.
Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 12:04 - Dec 14 with 4352 viewsNo9

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 12:03 - Dec 14 by blueislander

Just outside this time frame, but the greatest British comic genius was without doubt: Tommy Cooper.

& a clever man?
Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 12:29 - Dec 14 with 4342 viewsKeno

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 12:03 - Dec 14 by blueislander

not forgetting who one was of his main script writers and have written for a large number of comics over the past 50 years

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Login to get fewer ads

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 13:10 - Dec 14 with 4324 viewsBueller

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 14:42 - Dec 13 by Darth_Koont

In terms of impact and influence (not just in the UK either):

Ricky Gervais
Steve Coogan
Armando Iannucci
Chris Morris
Simon Pegg/Nick Frost

And all brilliant at their best.

Rowan Atkinson should probably be on there too but I see him more as the Benny Hill comedy export over the past few decades and more popular in countries that still laugh at people falling over.

Yeah Coogan and Gervais for me too.
Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 14:59 - Dec 14 with 4297 viewsGeoffSentence

All these suggestions and only one woman (Caroline Ahern for those who havent read the whole thread).

Are there very few funny women?
Or
Is TWTD institutionally misogynist?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 15:39 - Dec 14 with 4277 viewsjeera

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 14:59 - Dec 14 by GeoffSentence

All these suggestions and only one woman (Caroline Ahern for those who havent read the whole thread).

Are there very few funny women?
Or
Is TWTD institutionally misogynist?

You've missed a few posts buh.

That, or you have a few of us on ignore.

Which means you won't see this anyway so will be none the wiser.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 16:01 - Dec 14 with 4262 viewsGeoffSentence

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 15:39 - Dec 14 by jeera

You've missed a few posts buh.

That, or you have a few of us on ignore.

Which means you won't see this anyway so will be none the wiser.

Doh!

I seem to have missed a post where connorscontract listed female comdian after comedian.

Madness

Stand down everyone.

Oh, and I only have budgies on a wind up on ignore, though one or two other daft sods have tested that rule in the past.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 23:22 - Dec 14 with 4200 viewsconnorscontract

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 16:01 - Dec 14 by GeoffSentence

Doh!

I seem to have missed a post where connorscontract listed female comdian after comedian.

Madness

Stand down everyone.

Oh, and I only have budgies on a wind up on ignore, though one or two other daft sods have tested that rule in the past.

I made the second post because I realised that I hadn't included any women before I posted the first list, considered whether I should correct that, but didn't feel any of the women should beat the men I was proposing in the broad categories I'd suggested.

But I was aware of just how male the thread was.

No question that Victoria Wood, Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders, and Caroline Ahern are right up there in the respective categories, but I couldn't quite give them "the greatest of the last 30 years" status.

An interesting additional name in my "comedian who other comedians respect(ed)" category would be the late Linda Smith. The likes of Mark Steel, Mark Thomas and Jeremy Hardy would all point to her as an absolutely foundational member of their generation of politically radical comedians, with a sharp intelligence, warmth and depth that made people admire her, warm to her and want to be like her. You can see her influence on the likes of Josie Long, for example.
Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 10:46 - Dec 15 with 4127 viewsBrixtonBlue

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 08:01 - Dec 14 by Benters2

Eddie Izzard ffs what a plank he is

I wonder why you say that. Is it because he's a bit different to you and therefore wrong?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

on 14:50 - Dec 15 with 4090 views_

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 10:46 - Dec 15 by BrixtonBlue

I wonder why you say that. Is it because he's a bit different to you and therefore wrong?

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 16:41 - Dec 15 with 4070 viewsThrobbe

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 13:04 - Dec 13 by chicoazul

Hmmmm. I grow more convinced that his success was due to the writers he worked with, not him. He hasnt done anything for years whereas Peter Baynham for e.g. has worked non-stop.

Oh I don't know. I still think there's an outside chance that It'll turn out that he's been playing Nigel Farage for years.

TWTD Cycling Herbert

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 17:55 - Dec 15 with 4049 viewsBrixtonBlue

on 14:50 - Dec 15 by _

In what way? Certainly an innofesive comedian, does a lot for charity (all those marathons).

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 20:07 - Dec 15 with 4024 viewsPositivelyPortman

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 12:56 - Dec 13 by Bluefish

I make you right

But what about Corbyn?

On a serious note that was very good and Harry Enfield is a genius for me. He was hilarious when I was growing up and then as I got older I realised how spot on he was with so many of his observations

Rees Mogg or indeed Maybot herself.

On a serious note Rees Mogg or Maybot.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 20:20 - Dec 15 with 4015 viewsjjblue84

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 23:22 - Dec 14 by connorscontract

I made the second post because I realised that I hadn't included any women before I posted the first list, considered whether I should correct that, but didn't feel any of the women should beat the men I was proposing in the broad categories I'd suggested.

But I was aware of just how male the thread was.

No question that Victoria Wood, Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders, and Caroline Ahern are right up there in the respective categories, but I couldn't quite give them "the greatest of the last 30 years" status.

An interesting additional name in my "comedian who other comedians respect(ed)" category would be the late Linda Smith. The likes of Mark Steel, Mark Thomas and Jeremy Hardy would all point to her as an absolutely foundational member of their generation of politically radical comedians, with a sharp intelligence, warmth and depth that made people admire her, warm to her and want to be like her. You can see her influence on the likes of Josie Long, for example.

Women are terrible at stand up! Better at making cutting remarks from armchairs!
Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 11:35 - Dec 16 with 3970 viewsBrixtonBlue

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 17:55 - Dec 15 by BrixtonBlue

In what way? Certainly an innofesive comedian, does a lot for charity (all those marathons).

No comment Benters/Libbers?

on 12:19 - Dec 16 with 3959 views_

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 11:35 - Dec 16 by BrixtonBlue

No comment Benters/Libbers?

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 12:29 - Dec 16 with 3948 viewsBrixtonBlue

on 12:19 - Dec 16 by _

Fair enough if you don't find him funny, it's just that Benters called him a plank and you called him a chode, which seems more personal.

Certainly not "trying too hard" if you've seen his earlier stuff, but does seem a bit so in more recent times. I think he seemed more natural in earlier shows like Unrepeatable, Definite Article and Dress To Kill.

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 12:43 - Dec 16 with 3943 viewsBenters2

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 10:46 - Dec 15 by BrixtonBlue

Well he is bit of a freak and not very funny!

But i knew you would like him.
Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 12:44 - Dec 16 with 3936 viewsSpruceMoose

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 12:43 - Dec 16 by Benters2

Well he is bit of a freak and not very funny!

But i knew you would like him.

What do you mean he's a freak?

I knew you'd dislike him.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2018 12:52]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 12:50 - Dec 16 with 3918 viewsBenters2

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 17:55 - Dec 15 by BrixtonBlue

Ha! What has running got to do with being funny,unless of course you poo yourself.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024