Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? 12:50 - Dec 13 with 32237 viewschicoazul

I say 30 years as it would include the alternative guys that came out of the mid 80s as well as the guys who were established then for e.g. Bernard Manning, Chubby Brown etc

For me it's tough but i would say Harry Enfield is consistently funny, has his finger on the pulse, is a good actor and Ruddy Hell It's Harry and Paul is the best comedy programme in ages.

In before Theresa May, David Cameron etc

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

on 22:14 - Dec 13 with 4358 views_

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 22:09 - Dec 13 by sundaze

There's a hell of a lot of people who think otherwise.

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 22:18 - Dec 13 with 4350 viewsOxford_Blue

Steve Coogan
Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 22:19 - Dec 13 with 4351 viewsDubtractor

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 14:42 - Dec 13 by Darth_Koont

In terms of impact and influence (not just in the UK either):

Ricky Gervais
Steve Coogan
Armando Iannucci
Chris Morris
Simon Pegg/Nick Frost

And all brilliant at their best.

Rowan Atkinson should probably be on there too but I see him more as the Benny Hill comedy export over the past few decades and more popular in countries that still laugh at people falling over.

I'd agree with all of those, but add Graham Linehan and Arthur Matthews.

Alas, Simon Pegg was brilliant in Big Train, Spaced, and the Cornetto trilogy, but seems to be on mostly crap films now and comes across as a nob.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 22:19 - Dec 13 with 4349 viewsMelford

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 21:05 - Dec 13 by Keno

Derek and Clive deserve a mention for delivering the best line in British comedy ever

I'm a bit of a D&C obsessive. I could quote loads.

I made this years ago.................
WARNING DEFINITELY NSFW

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 22:24 - Dec 13 with 4337 viewsDubtractor

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 13:04 - Dec 13 by chicoazul

Hmmmm. I grow more convinced that his success was due to the writers he worked with, not him. He hasnt done anything for years whereas Peter Baynham for e.g. has worked non-stop.

I know its a while ago now, but this is Chris Morris and Charlie Brooker's finest work IMO.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 22:27 - Dec 13 with 4335 viewsjeera

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 22:09 - Dec 13 by sundaze

I bet they all have warts though.

And think they're funny.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 22:27 - Dec 13 with 4334 viewsLord_Lucan

There's a lot of people who likes all sorts of shlte

I can't stand the fat tw4t.

Paul Kay though is excellent.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 22:30 - Dec 13 with 4330 viewsMelford

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 22:24 - Dec 13 by Dubtractor

I know its a while ago now, but this is Chris Morris and Charlie Brooker's finest work IMO.

It was totally ***king Mexico. Awesome ***king Welles. Keep it dusty yeah?

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Login to get fewer ads

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 22:38 - Dec 13 with 4320 viewsBonchosBicycle

Stewart Lee is definitely up there (but has let himself go a bit)
Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 22:46 - Dec 13 with 4315 viewsBrixtonBlue

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 20:25 - Dec 13 by caught-in-limbo

That's a great list.

I'd replace Rowan Atkinson with Eddie Izzard for the reasons you've given.

EDIT: Just seen some recent stuff from Izzard... scrub that, put in Enfield and Whitehouse.
[Post edited 13 Dec 2018 20:43]

"I'd replace Rowan Atkinson with Eddie Izzard for the reasons you've given."

Eddie Izzard does stuff about falling over being funny? Got a link to any because I must've missed that!

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 22:50 - Dec 13 with 4308 viewsm14_blue

Ed Miliband
Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 23:02 - Dec 13 with 4298 viewsBrixtonBlue

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 18:28 - Dec 13 by connorscontract

What does greatest mean?

Most influential? Probably Armando Iannucci. Maybe followed by Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant for redefining the mockumentary, which is the dominant genre to emerge in the period.

Most popular? Billy Connolly usually wins the "Favourite Comedian" polls. Arguments for Michael McIntyre and Peter Kay though, in terms of tickets sold and TV ratings.

Most respected by comedians? Daniel Kitson. By a mile. If you can get to Battersea Arts Centre to see his latest show, in the New Year, do so. The man is a genius. Storytelling which re-enchants the everyday and mundane. A secular prophet. He creates beauty. And is funny. And when he does stand-up: filthy rude. He won the Perrier and then resisted every overture TV made towards him. He sells all his shows by emailing his private email lists himself.

Then would come Stewart Lee. TWTD had done him to death. Perish the thought that I would endlessly repeat stuff about Stewart Lee, again and again and again. Not least because you probably wouldn't get it, sat at home, reading it on your computer. They get it, but you don't. I don't even want you to know who I think is the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years, but someone told you "Read what he thinks. He thinks good things." So you did. But you don't even understand them*.

Then possibly Alex Horne. It's great that Taskmaster has become a massive success, but comedians were queueing up to do his stage show equivalent at the Edinburgh Festival years before he finally had it optioned for TV.

There are loads of brilliant comedians out there now. Go and see them live, everyone.

* You'll either get this or you won't. I don't care**.

** I'm doing it again! Basically repeating the same joke! Write and complain to The Daily Mail if you don't like it. See if I care!***

*** Repeats

I hadn't heard of Daniel Kitson, so watched this after your recommendation;

Afraid to say I didn't even grin at any of that, let alone laugh.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 23:14 - Dec 13 with 4280 viewsbaxterbasics

I’d say Rowan Atkinson but like Richard Curtis he’s not been that good since Blackadder, pretty much all Bean and Johnny English.

More recently I’ve been enjoying Jonathan Pie aka Tom Walker.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 23:17 - Dec 13 with 4276 viewsDubtractor

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 23:14 - Dec 13 by baxterbasics

I’d say Rowan Atkinson but like Richard Curtis he’s not been that good since Blackadder, pretty much all Bean and Johnny English.

More recently I’ve been enjoying Jonathan Pie aka Tom Walker.

Jonathan Pie is funny for about 2 minutes.

HE BASICALLY SHOUTS AT YOU BECAUSE HE GETS IT AND YOU DON'T.

on 00:36 - Dec 14 with 4245 views_

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 23:02 - Dec 13 by BrixtonBlue

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 02:39 - Dec 14 with 4230 viewsIPS_wich

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 23:17 - Dec 13 by Dubtractor

I think I have laughed more at Jonathan Pie than anyone else in the last couple of years - but when I saw clips of his stand up show I knew I didn't want to see it. He's very funny in 2-3 minute chunks, but he's essentially an actor playing a role - rather than a stand-up. He's not a natural comedian.

That said, his six minute rant post-Trump winning which has over 3.9m views on YouTube is a work of genius (IMO).

As for comedians in the last 30 years, it's hard to go past Newman and Baddiel or Vic and Bob - but then I was a teenager when they were at their prime and I think that's the time that probably has the most influence on a person. I quite like David Mitchell because I loved Peep Show and he's about the only comedy panelist that makes me chuckle (but I can see why some people think he's a tw@t).
Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 05:26 - Dec 14 with 4208 viewsBenters2

Warren Mitchell Bernard Manning Tommy Cooper John Cleese Steve Coogan
Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 07:35 - Dec 14 with 4184 viewsDeano69

Do Ronnie Barker and David Jason count?

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 07:48 - Dec 14 with 4176 viewsChondzoresk

Funny skit from Shooting Stars.Always makes me chuckle.
Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 08:01 - Dec 14 with 4152 viewsBenters2

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 22:46 - Dec 13 by BrixtonBlue

"I'd replace Rowan Atkinson with Eddie Izzard for the reasons you've given."

Eddie Izzard does stuff about falling over being funny? Got a link to any because I must've missed that!

Eddie Izzard ffs what a plank he is
Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 08:17 - Dec 14 with 4146 viewschicoazul

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 23:17 - Dec 13 by Dubtractor

So glad someone else feels about him the way I do.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 08:27 - Dec 14 with 4133 viewsDeano69

Drifting slightly away from the brief, came across CK Louis on Spotify recently, I normally struggle with American stand up, but found his style and content really funny.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 08:31 - Dec 14 with 4124 viewsconnorscontract

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 20:45 - Dec 13 by caught-in-limbo

Caroline Ahern!

Very good shout.

The Fast Show
Mrs Merton
The Royle Family

She didn't spread herself thinly. As Kitson first said, and now many third rate comics parrot: all killer- no filler!
Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 08:51 - Dec 14 with 4116 viewsconnorscontract

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 23:02 - Dec 13 by BrixtonBlue

Really? Ok, it's all subjective. I've seen that before and laughed again.

That's him taking the p1ss. It's a charity gala, and it's televised and he's thrown together an anecdote. That isn't anything like his stage shows which are very involved, precise, deeply-layered stories, usually of yearning.

There's ramshackle Kitson who often comperes shows and plays against his odd looks, stammer and tics by taking an ironic high status position, constantly self-references and deconstructs his jokes and just generally has a great time playing with the whole thing, whilst also being capable of destroying hecklers with walls of filth whilst stammering at the same time.

And then there's the thoughtful, precise, teller of tales of inter-weaving lives in miniature. It's beyond stand-up, whilst not being truly "normal" theatre either.

Personally, I love both.
Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 08:53 - Dec 14 with 4110 viewsSuperfrans

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 22:24 - Dec 13 by Dubtractor

Nathan Barley. Utterly brilliant, indeed.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024