Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... 13:13 - Dec 13 with 24544 viewsmonytowbray

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/dec/12/landlord-fined-25000-over-lack-

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 13:14 - Dec 14 with 5270 viewsSarge

on 13:04 - Dec 14 by _

The other factor is location. I could easily double my savings amount if I was in Suffolk. The rent I pay on a 1 bedroom flat here would get me a 3 bed house in Ipswich or a waterfront penthouse. Whilst the only jobs would probably be some dull insurance type stuff, I could probably just about command £30k there too.
The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 13:14 - Dec 14 with 5263 viewschicoazul

The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 11:36 - Dec 14 by Ryorry

You just can't generalise about this, and the real answer is a massive house-building programme of genuinely affordable starter homes for young people. In towns and villages round and about, there's actually quite a lot of building going on - but the vast majority of it is 3-4 bed detached or semi properties, which simply attracts even more commuters from cities like York, Ripon, Leeds who want to live in a scenic place; or provides for those locally who are wanting to move up the ladder.

It's not an impossible task to provide such starter homes, as some buildings such as old commercial premises fall into disuse & the businesses aren't sold when owners retire. The buildings could be bought by local authorities and then split up & renovated as 1-2-bed flats or maisonettes, but instead are either allowed to languish and fall into decay, or are bought by developers looking to make big bucks from the kind of detached 3-4 bed homes as above.

Most landlords do charge fair rents (albeit some of course don't), and most tenants are satisfied with their rentals - https://www.simplybusiness.co.uk/knowledge/articles/2018/07/tenants-satisfied-wi

Re your "right-to-buy" comment - I can only say that I bought my property with a view to having a carer on hand should I become incapacitated or unable to drive (am late 60s & have health problems) hence finding one with an annexe. If "right to buy" ever got to be enshrined in law, I'd have no option but to completely remove the annexe from the long-term let market. It could be a voluntary option (some landlords might even welcome it) but should never be a requirement. It's also the kind of let that is in very, very short supply round here - small scale, good quality, affordable & suitable for a single or childless couple, so it would be removing a locally needed & much-used asset.

People who advocate building loads of new houses are just plain wrong, it is not the answer. There are loads and loads of houses extant. Something like 80% of houses have at least 1 empty bedroom and 60% have 2. There are 200,000 houses literally standing empty.

So rather than build ever more houses and all the required infrastructure over our green and pleasant land we should figure out a way to incentivize people to leave houses that are bigger than they need. As with so many things that are needed that will, of course, require people, in particular Baby Boomers, to look beyond their own selfish desires and actually vote for a Government who would implement this.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 13:16 - Dec 14 with 5259 viewsRyorry

The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 13:08 - Dec 14 by tractorboy7777

Ah yep! Because I didn’t use that terminology ‘right to buy’ I presumed you meant the right to buy scheme! Easy mistake! But like I say, your situation differs imo

Thanks. I do think it illustrates why a blanket law isn't the answer though, would be quuite harmful in some instances - according to many surveys I've seen, would reduce the number of homes available to rent, and/or drive prices up.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2018 13:36]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 13:20 - Dec 14 with 5249 viewsRyorry

The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 13:14 - Dec 14 by chicoazul

People who advocate building loads of new houses are just plain wrong, it is not the answer. There are loads and loads of houses extant. Something like 80% of houses have at least 1 empty bedroom and 60% have 2. There are 200,000 houses literally standing empty.

So rather than build ever more houses and all the required infrastructure over our green and pleasant land we should figure out a way to incentivize people to leave houses that are bigger than they need. As with so many things that are needed that will, of course, require people, in particular Baby Boomers, to look beyond their own selfish desires and actually vote for a Government who would implement this.

I'd happily encourage renovation of properties standing empty and unused, and agree that should be the first port of call.

As for your "selfish desires Baby Boomers" -

The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 13:23 - Dec 14 with 5233 viewschicoazul

The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 13:16 - Dec 14 by Ryorry

Thanks. I do think it illustrates why a blanket law isn't the answer though, would be quuite harmful in some instances - according to many surveys I've seen, would reduce the number of homes available to rent, and/or drive prices up.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2018 13:36]

A blanket solution isnt the answer, apart from your one about mas building?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 13:31 - Dec 14 with 5211 viewsRyorry

The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 13:23 - Dec 14 by chicoazul

A blanket solution isnt the answer, apart from your one about mas building?

I didn't offer that as a blanket solution. I specifically supported your renovation proposal, or didn't you read that?

Edit: swapped "law" for "solution" in the post you referred to, as that conveys better what I meant.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2018 13:39]

The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 14:03 - Dec 14 with 5166 viewsSpruceMoose

The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 09:52 - Dec 14 by Benters2

Where do you get 1979 from? I was still at school!

Good god. I assumed you were in your 70s.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 15:39 - Dec 14 with 5120 viewsBenters2

The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 14:03 - Dec 14 by SpruceMoose

Thats ok chap i thought you were about 7 and a half.
Login to get fewer ads

The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 15:41 - Dec 14 with 5109 viewsSpruceMoose

The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 15:39 - Dec 14 by Benters2

Thats ok chap i thought you were about 7 and a half.

Only in girth.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 15:43 - Dec 14 with 5105 viewsHerbivore

The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 15:41 - Dec 14 by SpruceMoose

Only in girth.

Millimetres?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 15:43 - Dec 14 with 5102 viewsSpruceMoose

The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 15:43 - Dec 14 by Herbivore

Millimetres?

Hung like a bookies pencil me.

The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 17:21 - Dec 14 with 5065 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

on 13:04 - Dec 14 by _

Fair enough then. My apologies for any misunderstanding.

In my view it comes down to luck still. You were lucky from a housing point of view to meet your wife at 20 and saving for a house from 22.

I'd say the majority of 22 year olds nowadays will not be in the same relationship 5 years on from that. I'd say you are still very much finding out who you are. Some are still at University at that time, others are in very low paid jobs.

If it's taken you to 30 to get a house and you've started saving when you are 22 this shows the problem. You can now start a family if you wish to and you are both young enough and secure enough to.

But if you'd met at 25 or 30 you'd have been looking to start a family at 35 or 40 which is a totally different kettle of fish. So essentially some couples are having to choose between a house and being too old to raise the family they wanted to buy the house to raise, or taking a chance on having kids earlier and then not being able to afford a house until the kids have actually grown up it ever.

It's completely ridiculous but I'm pleased for you that you managed to make your situation work. Rare thing these days.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 18:03 - Dec 14 with 5037 viewsSeablu

The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 14:03 - Dec 14 by SpruceMoose

I was more surprised by the school bit to be honest.
I imagine he only used it as a drop in centre.
The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 19:33 - Dec 14 with 5003 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 17:21 - Dec 14 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Fair enough then. My apologies for any misunderstanding.

In my view it comes down to luck still. You were lucky from a housing point of view to meet your wife at 20 and saving for a house from 22.

I'd say the majority of 22 year olds nowadays will not be in the same relationship 5 years on from that. I'd say you are still very much finding out who you are. Some are still at University at that time, others are in very low paid jobs.

If it's taken you to 30 to get a house and you've started saving when you are 22 this shows the problem. You can now start a family if you wish to and you are both young enough and secure enough to.

But if you'd met at 25 or 30 you'd have been looking to start a family at 35 or 40 which is a totally different kettle of fish. So essentially some couples are having to choose between a house and being too old to raise the family they wanted to buy the house to raise, or taking a chance on having kids earlier and then not being able to afford a house until the kids have actually grown up it ever.

It's completely ridiculous but I'm pleased for you that you managed to make your situation work. Rare thing these days.

Why would you only start saving at 25 or 30 in that scenario though? Granted you wouldn’t be able to save as much - but if you’re on zero savings aged 25 that’s really reinforcing Libero’s point for me

Also worth noting that just because you’re not in a relationship doesn’t rule out cheaper living options - renting with friends etc

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 20:47 - Dec 14 with 4978 viewsmonytowbray

The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 19:33 - Dec 14 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Why would you only start saving at 25 or 30 in that scenario though? Granted you wouldn’t be able to save as much - but if you’re on zero savings aged 25 that’s really reinforcing Libero’s point for me

Also worth noting that just because you’re not in a relationship doesn’t rule out cheaper living options - renting with friends etc

These days that’s not much of a difference if you share though, particularly in London. A question of whether you’d like to be f*cked by a largeish carrot or smallish cucumber.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 20:54 - Dec 14 with 4975 viewsRyorry

The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 19:33 - Dec 14 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Backing up your last para, there's been a lot of talk about how it was easier for us older generation - and I agree it was - but pretty much all of us teen and 20-somethings in the 1960s, 70s and early 80s lived in shared rented accom until we got partnered up - it was only then that we even thought about buying. Even back then, buying a house on your own as a young professional wasn't affordable for most.

The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 21:49 - Dec 14 with 4945 viewsBloomBlue

The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 20:54 - Dec 14 by Ryorry

Backing up your last para, there's been a lot of talk about how it was easier for us older generation - and I agree it was - but pretty much all of us teen and 20-somethings in the 1960s, 70s and early 80s lived in shared rented accom until we got partnered up - it was only then that we even thought about buying. Even back then, buying a house on your own as a young professional wasn't affordable for most.

I would also add the first thing a huge percentage of those in the 50,60,70's did was sign-up for a council house.

Now I appreciate we had many more council houses then, but moving into a council house then was normal, when I talk to many youngsters now they say even if council houses were available they wouldn't want one they want to own their own house and they have a right to own a house.

Also is house ownership still a uk phenonium? I'm too old to travel much these days but previously spent a lot of time in France, Germany Holland and Belgium and in those countries renting was the norm, people preferred renting to owning
The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 22:00 - Dec 14 with 4937 viewsJ2BLUE

The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 21:49 - Dec 14 by BloomBlue

I would also add the first thing a huge percentage of those in the 50,60,70's did was sign-up for a council house.

Now I appreciate we had many more council houses then, but moving into a council house then was normal, when I talk to many youngsters now they say even if council houses were available they wouldn't want one they want to own their own house and they have a right to own a house.

Also is house ownership still a uk phenonium? I'm too old to travel much these days but previously spent a lot of time in France, Germany Holland and Belgium and in those countries renting was the norm, people preferred renting to owning

For the average person I will never understand choosing to rent over buying. I think it's a bit of a myth that many people just prefer it. I'm sure some do but there must be some sort of equaliser IMO if renting is much more common in other countries. Do they have lower rents? Laws giving tennants greater security? Mainly council owned properties where rent is lower? Paying huge rents over here with no gain in equity is hardly the ideal for many people. If renting was cheaper and allowed people to invest to cover rental costs later in life it would make a bit more sense.

'when I talk to many youngsters now they say even if council houses were available they wouldn't want one they want to own their own house and they have a right to own a house.'

I don't believe this for a second. Typical statement with no evidence purely to excuse dismissing the issue.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 07:04 - Dec 15 with 4860 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 20:47 - Dec 14 by monytowbray

These days that’s not much of a difference if you share though, particularly in London. A question of whether you’d like to be f*cked by a largeish carrot or smallish cucumber.

How is there not much difference if you share? 2 bedroom places are not generally twice the price of 1 bedroom

Agree that London is a completely different kettle of fish

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 07:28 - Dec 15 with 4844 viewswkj

I am not usually a fan of too much regulation, but people like these, and my own experience with an Ipswich based management service makes me want to see them regulate the poop out of them.

It is sad because there are honest to goodness landlords out there who are fair and get a bad ride because of the seemingly more common bad ones.

My personal experience was more with a rogue management service rather than a landlord. Before I moved last year my kitchen floor was borked from a water leak, they took care of the leak because they had to, then left the flooring up, and magically never got any emails or phone calls from me (in their version of events). I also racked up a £600 energy bill for the first quarter of 2018 because they never would fix the sash windows which billowed in the cold air, and the radiator of course was broken, and they wouldn't fix that leaving me to have to use a roll around oil rad. Again, they magically never received my Emails or phone calls. I did get onto the council, but given the workload IBC faces, it was a very slow process, and I would lose £600 on energy, or probably lose more on legal fees taking it to court.

The story of this company gets worse, once the landlord caught wind of what was going on, they started making arrangements for a new management service to come in. The original outfit then insisted they wanted to see my passport, which I stalled and stalled on this for weeks (keep in mind i had already been in the house for near 3 years at this point, so no clue why documents would be needed). Long story short they cleared off to India days after they really stepped up their request to see my documents. Apparently the individuals at this company rotate in and out of the company moving between India and The UK and a lot of people have had terrible times with them.

It is a shocking industry which needs a bloody good seeing to, as they have a potential to cost people crippling sums of money to live in conditions that are subhuman.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 07:33 - Dec 15 with 4835 viewsBloomBlue

The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 22:00 - Dec 14 by J2BLUE

For the average person I will never understand choosing to rent over buying. I think it's a bit of a myth that many people just prefer it. I'm sure some do but there must be some sort of equaliser IMO if renting is much more common in other countries. Do they have lower rents? Laws giving tennants greater security? Mainly council owned properties where rent is lower? Paying huge rents over here with no gain in equity is hardly the ideal for many people. If renting was cheaper and allowed people to invest to cover rental costs later in life it would make a bit more sense.

'when I talk to many youngsters now they say even if council houses were available they wouldn't want one they want to own their own house and they have a right to own a house.'

I don't believe this for a second. Typical statement with no evidence purely to excuse dismissing the issue.

My evidence was based on the youngsters I've spoken with (as I said). People do still talk these days you know the world isn't purely run via the internet to give people documented evidence.
Maybe those youngsters aren't typical. But my point was those you grew up in 50/60/70's first thought re housing was normally to get ourselves on the council house waiting list but based on 'me' talking with some youngsters today they wouldn't entertain even adding their name to the list as they felt they were entitled to own their own property.

I dont have a problem if thats what people want i know Thatcher always said that's what people wanted and why she sold council houses but comparing then and now is complelty different.
The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 07:35 - Dec 15 with 4833 viewstractordownsouth

The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 18:44 - Dec 13 by J2BLUE

300 properties is taking the piss. Simply no need.I don't have too much against people having one rental property but 300 is just plain wrong.

To think I once argued on here for completely free markets. How wrong and naive.

You saw the light 😉. I think that free market should be used as much as possible, but with things such as inheritance, markets can never be truly free. Which is why I think the hard right view ( the belief that those with the most money are always the ones who work hardest) is just as idealistic as the hard left.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 07:41 - Dec 15 with 4829 viewswkj

The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 07:33 - Dec 15 by BloomBlue

My evidence was based on the youngsters I've spoken with (as I said). People do still talk these days you know the world isn't purely run via the internet to give people documented evidence.
Maybe those youngsters aren't typical. But my point was those you grew up in 50/60/70's first thought re housing was normally to get ourselves on the council house waiting list but based on 'me' talking with some youngsters today they wouldn't entertain even adding their name to the list as they felt they were entitled to own their own property.

I dont have a problem if thats what people want i know Thatcher always said that's what people wanted and why she sold council houses but comparing then and now is complelty different.

It is important to consider that housing list isn't like it once was any more. There isn't a waiting list as such, it is more of a priority system where certain criteria dictate who has priority circumstances. Anyone who goes on the list to get their foot in the door will ultimately be on the list for a long time without ever getting a nibble.

Someone I knew who was living in destitution due to being fleeced by identity theft, as a single 26 year old couldn't get past the background checks for private rent, and went on the housing list- considered band C. For a year he sofa surfed until we told him he has to say he's homeless, then and only then did he start getting contact for council homes, and event hat took a couple of months.

Needless to say, in short, the system is much much harder now that it was when it was a first come first served waiting list.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2018 7:46]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 07:51 - Dec 15 with 4823 viewstractordownsouth

The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 08:00 - Dec 14 by Benters2

Sadly that last part will never happen.

You seem to forget that the people who rent the houses out worked hard to get the money to buy the house in the first place,why should they then give the tennant the chance to buy it,at a cheaper price?

Sadly today the yoof expect to sponge off the bank of mum and dad forever!

Benters, that's a stupid argument, a lot of the people who own extra property have inherited it from their wealthier family members, which in itself is ' sponging off Mum and Dad."

As for the " If you work hard, you earn" principle, that is just as idealistic as the far left position. Take my job, for an example. I've recently started as a support worker for Mencap, where I look after people with Learning Disabilities, who would find it difficult to function without the support given to them as they have a variety of additional needs. I earn exactly the living wage. Do you honestly think that people working in top jobs within the financial services sector work exactly 100 times harder than myself? That's nonsense.*

You also need to factor in the generational differences. I'm currently saving up for uni as I'm unable to access the whole student loan. Add to that the 9k tuition fees, which most of your generation didn't have to consider. And before you say it, I'm not whinging, I actually believe the raise in tuition fees was an economic necessity.

*Just to clarify, I'm not blowing my own trumpet or moaning about my job. I love it and genuinely wouldn't swap it for one of the jobs I mentioned. I'm simply stating that I don't believe that people earning 100 times more than me work 100 times harder contribute 100 times more to society than myself.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 08:10 - Dec 15 with 4815 viewstractorboy7777

A lot of people I know have parents who tell them ‘live your life while you’re young’ ‘don’t settle down until you’re 25’. By age 25 those who went to uni would only have been working 3 years out of uni as well.

Renting with friends isn’t as easy as it sounds. You’re relying on someone to stay there with you without any ‘true’ connection to yourself.

Poll: If ticket prices were the same in SBR upper and lower, where would you choose?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024