Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... 13:13 - Dec 13 with 24529 viewsmonytowbray

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/dec/12/landlord-fined-25000-over-lack-

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 08:57 - Dec 15 with 923 viewsHerbivore

The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 07:33 - Dec 15 by BloomBlue

My evidence was based on the youngsters I've spoken with (as I said). People do still talk these days you know the world isn't purely run via the internet to give people documented evidence.
Maybe those youngsters aren't typical. But my point was those you grew up in 50/60/70's first thought re housing was normally to get ourselves on the council house waiting list but based on 'me' talking with some youngsters today they wouldn't entertain even adding their name to the list as they felt they were entitled to own their own property.

I dont have a problem if thats what people want i know Thatcher always said that's what people wanted and why she sold council houses but comparing then and now is complelty different.

The reason young people don't consider putting their names down for social housing is because there isn't any for them. A young, single person wanting to move out of home would never get a council house in a million years.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 09:02 - Dec 15 with 917 viewstractorboy7777

The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 08:57 - Dec 15 by Herbivore

The reason young people don't consider putting their names down for social housing is because there isn't any for them. A young, single person wanting to move out of home would never get a council house in a million years.

I’m sure I read you’ve got to be 25 to be considered as you can ‘live with parents’ up till then!!

Poll: If ticket prices were the same in SBR upper and lower, where would you choose?

The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 09:35 - Dec 15 with 889 viewsHerbivore

The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 09:02 - Dec 15 by tractorboy7777

I’m sure I read you’ve got to be 25 to be considered as you can ‘live with parents’ up till then!!

I'm not sure how it works now with universal credit, however the Tories capped housing benefit for under 25 at an amount to cover the cost of a room rather than a flat or house to encourage under 25s to stay at home. I guess staying at home and living off the bank of mum and dad worked for the likes of Benters so there's something to be said for it.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 10:46 - Dec 15 with 855 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 08:10 - Dec 15 by tractorboy7777

A lot of people I know have parents who tell them ‘live your life while you’re young’ ‘don’t settle down until you’re 25’. By age 25 those who went to uni would only have been working 3 years out of uni as well.

Renting with friends isn’t as easy as it sounds. You’re relying on someone to stay there with you without any ‘true’ connection to yourself.

I would suggest that if you don’t have connections with your friends you probably need better friends

Yes ultimately one of you will end up moving out but it’s still an option for most younger people looking to save - and quite a fun one at that
[Post edited 15 Dec 2018 10:46]

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 11:26 - Dec 15 with 833 viewsGunnsAirkick

Unbelievable, the law needs changing to come down on scumbags like this. On the flip side, my previous Landlord was lovely and any requests were actioned very quickly.
on 14:49 - Dec 15 with 788 views_

The house letting industry is out of control, Pt. 1352314... on 17:21 - Dec 14 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Fair enough then. My apologies for any misunderstanding.

In my view it comes down to luck still. You were lucky from a housing point of view to meet your wife at 20 and saving for a house from 22.

I'd say the majority of 22 year olds nowadays will not be in the same relationship 5 years on from that. I'd say you are still very much finding out who you are. Some are still at University at that time, others are in very low paid jobs.

If it's taken you to 30 to get a house and you've started saving when you are 22 this shows the problem. You can now start a family if you wish to and you are both young enough and secure enough to.

But if you'd met at 25 or 30 you'd have been looking to start a family at 35 or 40 which is a totally different kettle of fish. So essentially some couples are having to choose between a house and being too old to raise the family they wanted to buy the house to raise, or taking a chance on having kids earlier and then not being able to afford a house until the kids have actually grown up it ever.

It's completely ridiculous but I'm pleased for you that you managed to make your situation work. Rare thing these days.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024