Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Austerity is damaging our kids 18:03 - Dec 17 with 7286 viewsMullet

https://amp.theguardian.com/society/2018/dec/17/many-pupils-in-england-hungry-an

I'm not one to agree wholeheartedly with the Guardian too often, but in this case I don't think the anecdotal evidence is easily dismissed, nor scaremongering.

I've seen this sort of stuff growing year upon year, and am lucky enough to work in a school that has implemented as many things as they can to support families where possible. But that's an imperfect and imprecise tool all too often.

It's part of the puzzle, where those using foodbanks are working and still not getting by and shows that from whichever angle it's approached, this government is shameful in so many damning ways.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Austerity is damaging our kids on 18:10 - Dec 17 with 4006 viewsfactual_blue

I hope you're not mistaking tories for people who care about anybody but themselves.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Austerity is damaging our kids on 18:20 - Dec 17 with 3997 viewsPendejo

the bit that gets me is the "badly clothed" - my 17 year old son is in 6th form and will wear filthy or ill fitting clothing.
He refuses to go shopping, generally rejects what he's been bought [for 6 months or so], thus looks like a tramp most days.
[oh and his long straggly hair doesn't help! Thankfully he doesn't really need to shave yet]

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Austerity is damaging our kids on 18:39 - Dec 17 with 3964 viewsMullet

Austerity is damaging our kids on 18:20 - Dec 17 by Pendejo

the bit that gets me is the "badly clothed" - my 17 year old son is in 6th form and will wear filthy or ill fitting clothing.
He refuses to go shopping, generally rejects what he's been bought [for 6 months or so], thus looks like a tramp most days.
[oh and his long straggly hair doesn't help! Thankfully he doesn't really need to shave yet]

That's why it's difficult and imprecise.

Those a bit younger don't tend to choose that sort of thing though. Plus it's seeing kids with ingrained dirt in the collars and cuffs of their shirts, holes and rips and the clothes worn thin or clearly outgrown but not replaced that are giveaways. Families that are homeless or in a cycle of sofa surfing around the community/hostels etc are on the rise.

Stories of siblings sharing beds or even no beds aren't that uncommon or appeals amongst the staff for Christmas donations or handed down furniture/household items are fairly regular too for me. All from a concern being investigated.

The Dickensian descriptions aren't exaggerated in the minority of cases, which in 2018 is appalling.

Austerity is damaging our kids on 19:01 - Dec 17 with 3915 viewsCurrie10

Austerity is damaging our kids on 18:10 - Dec 17 by factual_blue

I hope you're not mistaking tories for people who care about anybody but themselves.

As opposed to Blair's ' for the people ' Labour?
Austerity is damaging our kids on 19:05 - Dec 17 with 3900 viewsBlueBadger

Austerity is damaging our kids on 19:01 - Dec 17 by Currie10

...when child poverty dropped significantly?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Austerity is damaging our kids on 19:05 - Dec 17 with 3901 viewsjeera

That doesn't work.

Plenty to criticise that government for, but the help given to struggling families isn't one of them.

WTC and the like made all the difference.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Austerity is damaging our kids on 19:05 - Dec 17 with 3898 viewschicoazul

Austerity is damaging our kids on 18:39 - Dec 17 by Mullet

Those a bit younger don't tend to choose that sort of thing though. Plus it's seeing kids with ingrained dirt in the collars and cuffs of their shirts, holes and rips and the clothes worn thin or clearly outgrown but not replaced that are giveaways. Families that are homeless or in a cycle of sofa surfing around the community/hostels etc are on the rise.

Stories of siblings sharing beds or even no beds aren't that uncommon or appeals amongst the staff for Christmas donations or handed down furniture/household items are fairly regular too for me. All from a concern being investigated.

The Dickensian descriptions aren't exaggerated in the minority of cases, which in 2018 is appalling.

Do you see a lot of that thing? Sounds heartbreaking.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Austerity is damaging our kids on 19:07 - Dec 17 with 3891 viewsMullet

Have a look at his education policies from 1997 onwards.

They might not have worked long term, but they are a damn sight better than what's replaced or buried them into being nigh on useless.

For all the bad press around Iraq, your criticism needs a bit more substance for me. How is relevant here exactly?

Login to get fewer ads

Austerity is damaging our kids on 19:08 - Dec 17 with 3878 viewsBlueBadger

Austerity is damaging our kids on 19:07 - Dec 17 by Mullet

Have a look at his education policies from 1997 onwards.

They might not have worked long term, but they are a damn sight better than what's replaced or buried them into being nigh on useless.

For all the bad press around Iraq, your criticism needs a bit more substance for me. How is relevant here exactly?

He's basically upset that not everyone shares his essentially mean-spirited and borderline sociopathic view of the world?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Austerity is damaging our kids on 19:11 - Dec 17 with 3876 viewsMullet

Austerity is damaging our kids on 19:05 - Dec 17 by chicoazul

Yeah. I work in a very deprived area to be honest, kids with no living relatives who have worked. Asylum seekers and refugees packed into dubious accommodation to put it bluntly, and in and around them rows of £500k+ houses too.

I've known all sorts in extreme cases and it's not say one family with loads of kids where the problems pop up every year or two with each sibling joining. Certainly a rise in number as the year groups have gotten much bigger, % it's hard to track as a lot of stuff is confidential and not shared amongst the staff.

Austerity is damaging our kids on 19:14 - Dec 17 with 3868 viewschicoazul

Austerity is damaging our kids on 19:11 - Dec 17 by Mullet

Yeah. I work in a very deprived area to be honest, kids with no living relatives who have worked. Asylum seekers and refugees packed into dubious accommodation to put it bluntly, and in and around them rows of £500k+ houses too.

I've known all sorts in extreme cases and it's not say one family with loads of kids where the problems pop up every year or two with each sibling joining. Certainly a rise in number as the year groups have gotten much bigger, % it's hard to track as a lot of stuff is confidential and not shared amongst the staff.

You and I have rowed plenty in the past but fair play to you, you're doing the Lord's work right there and I could never do it for more than a week or two without needing an extensive course of therapy.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Austerity is damaging our kids on 19:17 - Dec 17 with 3859 viewsDubtractor

You do come across as a bit of a tool at times on here.

Just thought I'd share that with you.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Austerity is damaging our kids on 19:22 - Dec 17 with 3842 viewsDubtractor

Austerity is damaging our kids on 19:05 - Dec 17 by chicoazul

Mrs dub teaches in a difficult school and I hear quite a few stories of kids who are pretty much screwed before they even start out in life.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Austerity is damaging our kids on 19:56 - Dec 17 with 3776 viewsm14_blue

Which of Blair’s policies are you referring to here?

God knows, there are plenty of things to attack Blair for but this one doesn’t make any sense at all.
Austerity is damaging our kids on 19:58 - Dec 17 with 3774 viewsIllinoisblue

Austerity is damaging our kids on 18:39 - Dec 17 by Mullet

Damn. It sounds like that season of the The Wire which focused on the education system. Helpful teachers letting kids in early to do laundry, etc. Heartbreaking.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Austerity is damaging our kids on 22:11 - Dec 17 with 3631 viewsFtnfwest

‘As opposed to’? Hang on who do you think created austerity?
Austerity is damaging our kids on 22:19 - Dec 17 with 3618 viewsBloomBlue

Austerity is damaging our kids on 22:11 - Dec 17 by Ftnfwest

‘As opposed to’? Hang on who do you think created austerity?

The government who didn't save when the times were good to fund costs during the bad times?
Austerity is damaging our kids on 22:25 - Dec 17 with 3605 viewsBlueBadger

Austerity is damaging our kids on 22:19 - Dec 17 by BloomBlue

The government who didn't save when the times were good to fund costs during the bad times?

So, in order to prevent austerity, we should have had more austerity, earlier?

Austerity is damaging our kids on 22:31 - Dec 17 with 3596 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Austerity is damaging our kids on 22:25 - Dec 17 by BlueBadger

So, in order to prevent austerity, we should have had more austerity, earlier?

Been proven not to work and May has even stated the end of it, except the policies do not appear to have changed. If corporation tax had been the same as other 1st world nations and tax dodging clamped down on instead of encouraged we would have been far better served.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Austerity is damaging our kids on 22:32 - Dec 17 with 3589 viewsSwansea_Blue

There’s an element of that, but they’ve had ample opportunity to not deliberately put the brakes on the recovery and then top it off by ramming a stick through their own front wheel with this Brexit nonsense.
[Post edited 17 Dec 2018 22:40]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Austerity is damaging our kids on 22:40 - Dec 17 with 3565 viewseireblue

That was during the time I remember Tory ministers accusing Labour of not “fixing the roof whilst the Sun was shining”.
Austerity is damaging our kids on 06:37 - Dec 18 with 3437 viewsCurrie10

This.

Labour came in with the country not in bad shape in 1997 from memory - quite young at the time.

Went on a massive spending spree, some of it needed granted...........

Tories are going somewhat crazy regarding cuts, however if Labour hadn't overspent for a prolonged period of time, perhaps cut cut cut wouldn't be happening.

Easy to spend though isn't it.
Austerity is damaging our kids on 07:45 - Dec 18 with 3399 viewsSteve_M

Austerity is damaging our kids on 06:37 - Dec 18 by Currie10

This.

Labour came in with the country not in bad shape in 1997 from memory - quite young at the time.

Went on a massive spending spree, some of it needed granted...........

Tories are going somewhat crazy regarding cuts, however if Labour hadn't overspent for a prolonged period of time, perhaps cut cut cut wouldn't be happening.

Easy to spend though isn't it.

Ah yes, that would be why every area of the state is now massively under-funded: education, the police, prisons, probation, the NHS, the military. Osborne cut taxs and bunged a load of money to High Speed 2 at the same time. Austerity always was an ideological choice.

Although you can try and blame Labour for the global financial crisis if you want.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Austerity is damaging our kids on 09:12 - Dec 18 with 3366 viewsCurrie10

Austerity is damaging our kids on 07:45 - Dec 18 by Steve_M

Ah yes, that would be why every area of the state is now massively under-funded: education, the police, prisons, probation, the NHS, the military. Osborne cut taxs and bunged a load of money to High Speed 2 at the same time. Austerity always was an ideological choice.

Although you can try and blame Labour for the global financial crisis if you want.

Yep, cut central, I make you right.

I will blame Blame and Labour from 97 for unsustainable spending though, no problem there. Wreckless at best.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2018 9:14]
Austerity is damaging our kids on 09:36 - Dec 18 with 3343 viewsGlasgowBlue

Austerity is damaging our kids on 07:45 - Dec 18 by Steve_M

A Couple of points re your post.

Cutting the higher rate of income tax from 50pc to 45pc helped increase the amount of tax revenue raised from the richest. 50pc was a political stunt from Gordon Brown because the rate was just 40pc for 12 years 11 months of the 13 years of New Labour

Of course Labour weren’t responsible for the global financial crisis but the deficit Brown was running at the time was a massive contributor to the UK recession.

When Labour came to power in 1997 Brown followed Ken Clarke's spending plans for 3 years and ran a surplus. Then in 2000 he committed massive public spending to create masses of people dependant on that government.

From 2000-2007 the size of the state grew from 37% to 50%.

But he couldn't get enough tax to fund the project so he increased Britain’s national debt by 43%. There was no deficit in 2000 but by 2005/6 Brown ran up a boom-time deficit of 3% of GDP , the maximum allowed under EU rules. It was pure financial mismanagement.

From the IFS:

"Looking at the UK’s debt levels, in 2007 we had the eleventh highest level of debt (or seventeenth lowest) when compared with the other 26 OECD countries for which data are available. Between 1997 and 2007, 16 OECD countries (out of 23 for which data are available) experienced larger declines in their ratio of debt to national income than the UK (using the OECD’s measure of “general government net financial liabilities”, which differs somewhat from the Treasury’s preferred measure, “public sector net debt”).

On the eve of the financial crisis, the UK had one of the largest structural budget deficits among either the G7 or the OECD countries and a higher level of public sector debt than most other OECD countries, though lower than most other G7 countries. Most OECD governments did more to reduce their structural deficit during the period from 1997 to 2007 than Labour did. This fiscal position formed the backdrop to the financial crisis."

And Tony Blair: ‘We should also accept that from 2005 onwards Labour was insufficiently vigorous in limiting or eliminating the potential structural deficit. The failure to embrace the Fundamental SavingsReview of 2005-6 was, in retrospect, a much bigger error than I ever thought at the time.’

So:

a) Debt increased in real terms by £500billion during Labour's years in office

b) Debt as a share of GDP was higher when Labour left office than when they took power in 1997

c) The IFS says that "Most OECD governments did more to reduce their structural deficit during the period from 1997 to 2007 than Labour did. This fiscal position formed the backdrop to the financial crisis."

I think the blame for the UK recession of 2007/08 can be laid squarely at Brown's door and it’s the reason we had to have a period of austerity.

You may recall it was Brown’s Chancellor, Alistair Darling, who said that if re-elected Labour planned cuts in public spending will be "deeper and tougher" than Margaret Thatcher's in the 1980s

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2010/mar/25/alistair-darling-cut-deeper-mar

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024