Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why are vegans getting more and more preachy....? 22:05 - Dec 17 with 21212 viewsSitfcB

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6504205/Vegan-demonstrators-form-human-

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Why are vegans getting more and more preachy....? on 08:19 - Dec 18 with 3383 viewsSitfcB

Why are vegans getting more and more preachy....? on 08:15 - Dec 18 by Bluefish

They blocked an aisle and stop innocent people getting on with their day, this is breaching the peace in my book. They also sung silly songs in an enclosed space when it wasn't wanted, if this was football fans then it would be classed as breaching the peace.

Presuambly they hadn't washed either so i expect smell disturbed the innocent shoppers

Same as the ones that protested in the restaurant the other week, that was hardly peaceful

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Why are vegans getting more and more preachy....? on 08:30 - Dec 18 with 3357 viewsblueconscience

Why are vegans getting more and more preachy....? on 08:11 - Dec 18 by GlasgowBlue

I think calling them freaks is unhelpful. I disagree with this type of protest which is counter productive. StNeot’s “winning hearts and minds” strategy is far more likely to get people to think about their food choices.

Vegans who eat that style fair enough. People who do things like this are not normal.

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

Why are vegans getting more and more preachy....? on 08:32 - Dec 18 with 3352 viewsSonOfSpock

Always preachy, because they're always hungry.
Why are vegans getting more and more preachy....? on 08:45 - Dec 18 with 3341 viewsmonytowbray

Why are vegans getting more and more preachy....? on 08:07 - Dec 18 by Herbivore

This thread is an excellent example of what David Mitchell was talking about in the article I posted last week. The level of outrage at a peaceful protest is quite odd.

I particularly enjoy a load of people who have no interest in going vegan, and who have continually got defensive or rejected any facts/logic/evidence for considering veganism, telling vegans how they should promote veganism.

It happened im Brighton I believe? Anyone who’s spent a day or two there in the past would be able to tell you that’s the sort of stuff that goes down there. It’s a very liberal and pro-protest city.

No one is stealing your right to eat meat, they’re just making you think about your choices. Calm down.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Why are vegans getting more and more preachy....? on 08:50 - Dec 18 with 3333 viewsHerbivore

Why are vegans getting more and more preachy....? on 08:30 - Dec 18 by blueconscience

Vegans who eat that style fair enough. People who do things like this are not normal.

People who participate in peaceful protest aren't normal? You're a vegaphobe, mate.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Why are vegans getting more and more preachy....? on 08:50 - Dec 18 with 3333 viewsmonytowbray

Why are vegans getting more and more preachy....? on 08:09 - Dec 18 by Reuser_is_God

Spot on.

I'd really love to know what insecurities I'm masking. I mean, I might suffer from depression and bouts of anxiety, but if you ask anyone who even half knows me they'll be able to say I'm comfortable in my own skin.

I think people need to do more thinking into why people choose to go vegan if the only conclusion you can come to is attention seeking or masking insecurities. Most vegans I know are well past the battle of masking insecurities about their diet, I can't say the same for many of the angry meat eaters I encounter.

TWTD never forgets…

Why are vegans getting more and more preachy....? on 08:52 - Dec 18 with 3328 viewsjaseitfc

Who cares ?
Why are vegans getting more and more preachy....? on 08:52 - Dec 18 with 3324 viewsmonytowbray

Why are vegans getting more and more preachy....? on 08:52 - Dec 18 by jaseitfc

Who cares ?

A lot of people apparently. Snowflakes.

TWTD never forgets…

Login to get fewer ads

Why are vegans getting more and more preachy....? on 08:53 - Dec 18 with 3326 viewsBluefish

Why are vegans getting more and more preachy....? on 08:50 - Dec 18 by monytowbray

I'd really love to know what insecurities I'm masking. I mean, I might suffer from depression and bouts of anxiety, but if you ask anyone who even half knows me they'll be able to say I'm comfortable in my own skin.

I think people need to do more thinking into why people choose to go vegan if the only conclusion you can come to is attention seeking or masking insecurities. Most vegans I know are well past the battle of masking insecurities about their diet, I can't say the same for many of the angry meat eaters I encounter.

Are you going to say that during all those years of tacos that you were making a carefully considered decision to give up meat and go militant vegan? I just assumed you jumped on the massive bandwagon, apologies for getting it wrong.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Why are vegans getting more and more preachy....? on 08:58 - Dec 18 with 3317 viewshampstead_blue

Its bizarre why they should be so rude and aggressive.

I've a couple of mates who are vegan. He is a prig and accused me of being responsible of mass murder. She is lovely and kind. In fact, there was a get together last Sunday and she bought a lovely desert and chocs. He was a prig.

They seem to walk around in a state of anger and blind panic.
I just want to say....'Calm down dear', in my most patronising voice.

Oh, I took a stack load of pulled beef brisket with a home made bbq sauce. Everyone, bar the vegans, fell on it.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Why are vegans getting more and more preachy....? on 09:01 - Dec 18 with 3315 viewsmonytowbray

Why are vegans getting more and more preachy....? on 08:53 - Dec 18 by Bluefish

Are you going to say that during all those years of tacos that you were making a carefully considered decision to give up meat and go militant vegan? I just assumed you jumped on the massive bandwagon, apologies for getting it wrong.

What does dressing as a taco have to do with my choice to go vegan? A taco is a food, not a meat.

I was vegetarian for 3 years from 18-21, I've never really agreed with eating meat. Veganism is just an evolution of vegetarianism, it's nothing new.

As for the "militant" remark, militant vegans are the people like Sea Shepard and Hunt Sabs out risking their lives to stop animal suffering and needless death. People really need to stop throwing the term around willy nilly at people who disagreed with them on the internet, it's disrespectful to those who are actually militant.

TWTD never forgets…

Why are vegans getting more and more preachy....? on 09:09 - Dec 18 with 3304 viewsgiant_stow

Why are vegans getting more and more preachy....? on 09:01 - Dec 18 by monytowbray

What does dressing as a taco have to do with my choice to go vegan? A taco is a food, not a meat.

I was vegetarian for 3 years from 18-21, I've never really agreed with eating meat. Veganism is just an evolution of vegetarianism, it's nothing new.

As for the "militant" remark, militant vegans are the people like Sea Shepard and Hunt Sabs out risking their lives to stop animal suffering and needless death. People really need to stop throwing the term around willy nilly at people who disagreed with them on the internet, it's disrespectful to those who are actually militant.

I know a hunt sab! Lovely bloke, but only a veggy and actually quite a righty politically.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2018 9:12]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Why are vegans getting more and more preachy....? on 09:11 - Dec 18 with 3302 viewsBluefish

Why are vegans getting more and more preachy....? on 09:01 - Dec 18 by monytowbray

Chillax mate don't go all militant about it. In a coupe of years we can have a burger together and look back at your vegan phase. Which was your favourite phase so far? Veggie, vegan, emo or Corbynista/Momentum drum banger?

Why are vegans getting more and more preachy....? on 09:12 - Dec 18 with 3297 viewsmonytowbray

Why are vegans getting more and more preachy....? on 09:09 - Dec 18 by giant_stow

I know a hunt sab! Lovely bloke, but only a veggy and actually quite a righty politically.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2018 9:12]

There's a mix of people in hunt sabs, not all of them are vegan, but many are. They are certainly what I'd define as a militant animal rights group though. Hence why I think people need to stop using it as a slur, most people actually agree with the actions of militants when it comes to animals. People who block supermarket aisles are protesters, not militant.

TWTD never forgets…

Why are vegans getting more and more preachy....? on 09:13 - Dec 18 with 3295 viewsmonytowbray

Why are vegans getting more and more preachy....? on 09:11 - Dec 18 by Bluefish

Chillax mate don't go all militant about it. In a coupe of years we can have a burger together and look back at your vegan phase. Which was your favourite phase so far? Veggie, vegan, emo or Corbynista/Momentum drum banger?

Based on the fact you think I go through "phases" I can tell you you don't know me at all.

TWTD never forgets…

Why are vegans getting more and more preachy....? on 09:18 - Dec 18 with 3286 viewsgiant_stow

Why are vegans getting more and more preachy....? on 09:12 - Dec 18 by monytowbray

There's a mix of people in hunt sabs, not all of them are vegan, but many are. They are certainly what I'd define as a militant animal rights group though. Hence why I think people need to stop using it as a slur, most people actually agree with the actions of militants when it comes to animals. People who block supermarket aisles are protesters, not militant.

You certainly have to feel strongly to go sabbing - from what I gather, it can get quite hairy, but he's a big lad so can protect himself and others

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Why are vegans getting more and more preachy....? on 09:18 - Dec 18 with 3287 viewswkj

Why are vegans getting more and more preachy....? on 09:13 - Dec 18 by monytowbray

Based on the fact you think I go through "phases" I can tell you you don't know me at all.

No offence, but why would anyone want to know you... or anyone else for that matter

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Why are vegans getting more and more preachy....? on 09:21 - Dec 18 with 3276 viewsmonytowbray

Why are vegans getting more and more preachy....? on 09:18 - Dec 18 by wkj

No offence, but why would anyone want to know you... or anyone else for that matter

Beats me.

TWTD never forgets…

Why are vegans getting more and more preachy....? on 09:21 - Dec 18 with 3277 viewsHalf_Idiot

My favourite part of the article

"Morgan Kayleigh Giampaolo raided the Touro steak house in Brighton to play animal slaughter noises to diners last week, but is the daughter of a wealthy meat seller"
Why are vegans getting more and more preachy....? on 09:22 - Dec 18 with 3274 viewsmonytowbray

Why are vegans getting more and more preachy....? on 09:18 - Dec 18 by giant_stow

You certainly have to feel strongly to go sabbing - from what I gather, it can get quite hairy, but he's a big lad so can protect himself and others

Yeah watching videos and hearing stories it does get proper violent.

TWTD never forgets…

Why are vegans getting more and more preachy....? on 09:24 - Dec 18 with 3266 viewsblueconscience

Why are vegans getting more and more preachy....? on 08:50 - Dec 18 by Herbivore

People who participate in peaceful protest aren't normal? You're a vegaphobe, mate.

I wouldn’t call that peaceful.

Peaceful is not interfering in people’s activities.

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

Why are vegans getting more and more preachy....? on 09:26 - Dec 18 with 3262 viewsBluefish

Why are vegans getting more and more preachy....? on 09:24 - Dec 18 by blueconscience

We all know that but herbs will argue it all day anyway

Why are vegans getting more and more preachy....? on 09:26 - Dec 18 with 3259 viewsmonytowbray

Why are vegans getting more and more preachy....? on 09:24 - Dec 18 by blueconscience

Are tube strikers violent protesters for ruining someone's day out at Winter Wonderland this weekend then?

Come on, don't be silly.

TWTD never forgets…

Why are vegans getting more and more preachy....? on 09:27 - Dec 18 with 3259 viewsDanTheMan

That defeats the point of a protest. I don't agree with them, but they didn't cause anybody any real harm here. At most they slightly inconvenienced someones day.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Why are vegans getting more and more preachy....? on 09:31 - Dec 18 with 3250 viewseireblue

Why are vegans getting more and more preachy....? on 07:58 - Dec 18 by m14_blue

What’s your take on protests such as this one?

It isn't a simple answer.

It sort of depends on how someone responds to the article I posted.
I have posted a few articles like the one above that suggest plant based stuff is better for people, planet and animals.

I have suggested that if people that are interested in vegan stuff, they should read some vegan stuff, and understand what a veganism is about.

Will Ely_Blue turn vegan based on that, or the writings of Peter Singer, Yuval Noah Harari etc..

I hope J2BLUE doesn't mind me doing this, I know he is a decent chap, but as a convenient example, he stated "The trouble with people like them is they believe they are right 100%...."

Well, within the context of Ely_Blue's post, and within the limits of scientific knowledge, they are sufficiently near 100% correct to have a very valid point, that may well be worth acting upon in some way.

I don't think anyone will turn vegan by reading the article I posted.

Veganism has been growing, I think the new-ish DxE group is a result of that, not a cause.

A lot of people laugh a PETA campaigns. PETA have been around a long time, and more people are turning vegan. Not sure there is a direct cause and effect, but whatever has caused the growth in vegans, PETA will have been part of that in some way.

Give someone a scientific basis for being a vegan, typically a person will not suddenly turn vegan, they will doubt the science.

So, it is not a protest I would do.

But I do think many people really don't understand what veganism is about.

Using a possibly bad analogy, Suffragettes, didn't want more Suffragettes, they wanted all women to have a vote.

As a vegan, I don't care if you eat meat, I just don't want you to harm or kill an animal to do it.

And, with my limited powers of persuasion, I want there to be less animal suffering.
BTW I have a non-vegan partner, so my powers of persuasion are weak.

In my list of priorities, I put animal suffering above human ridicule.
So if a few vegans get laughed at, and it creates one more vegan, or even a person that eats slightly less meat, that is all upside.

I very much doubt that protest will turn a vegan into a meat eater.

I imagine that most of the people that will get outraged or will ridicule that protest, are not even close to becoming a vegan, and are also unlikely to read up on vegan stuff and follow where sciency stuff tends to point.

Most people, that seem reasonable, will understand that there have always been extremists, and just because a cause has an extremist following, doesn't make the cause wrong. Suffragettes as an example did use violence, greater than the DxE people did in that protest.

Today, we would all think that women should have a vote.

So in terms of what is important, that is less animal harm, I can't see that protest making things worse for an animal, it has a slim chance of effecting some change. So I can't see downside, there is possible upside.
But I wouldn't do that sort of protest.

A final thought

I am not sure when wanting less animal cruelty and suffering became "extreme".

So I am going to throw something back at you.

I think the following is worth a watch, and especially with respect to his last thought and the topic you raised.
I know does mean having to listen for the full 15 minutes. But hopefully you have the time

https://www.kinderworld.org/videos/talks/yuval-noah-harari-the-role-of-scientist

And I will read and respond to any comments you have about that video. It is just a bloke talking about science, ethics and animal rights, no gory stuff.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024