Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Worst boss you've ever had, and why? 09:47 - Dec 18 with 7538 viewsunbelievablue

Had a review meeting this morning with my manager. She's brilliant and it got me thinking just how terrible some of my managers have been, even at this relatively early stage of my career.

So, here's your chance to rant about previous (or current, if you're brave) bosses.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Worst boss you've ever had, and why? on 15:18 - Dec 18 with 1718 viewsbluelagos

Long story, but short version is one boss (who will remain nameless) working for FTSE company (who will remain nameless) expensed a $65k bribe to the tax authorities of a West African country to defraud the taxman of $250k in PAYE. As the CFO at the time, I was potentially in the frame for the fraud (he did it without my authorisation whilst I was in hospital with Malaria) which wasn't ideal.

When I uncovered this (and reported it) to the parent company, he lost the plot and made a series of threats that led to my being evacuated (due to concerns for my safety) from the country with 48 hours notice and having to work from remotely from a third county for 3 months before agreeing an exit from the company.

What do I win?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Worst boss you've ever had, and why? on 15:45 - Dec 18 with 1692 viewsMJallday

Worst boss you've ever had, and why? on 15:04 - Dec 18 by unbelievablue

[Post edited 18 Dec 2018 15:04]

one of my excolleagues subsequently texted that i perhaps shouldnt be so disrespectful.
however, she followed that up with "i was thinking of turning up to his funeral, just to make sure the c**t is dead.. he's the sort that would fake it"

i must admit i did wonder where they how they were gonna get a JCB in the graveyard to dig a hole big enough. the fat f**k.

resisted the temptation to post that on linkedin though.

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Worst boss you've ever had, and why? on 15:48 - Dec 18 with 1688 viewsBlueBadger

Worst boss you've ever had, and why? on 14:35 - Dec 18 by MattinLondon

Did his ‘conquests’ know that he was married? If so what have they got to be angry about?

They found out, eventually.
One, after being told by him that he was 'definitely' going to leave his wife for her and anyway they had basically lived apart for 18 months saw him in town, fawning over his visibly pregnant wife.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Worst boss you've ever had, and why? on 18:28 - Dec 18 with 1619 viewsCurrie10

Worst boss you've ever had, and why? on 11:12 - Dec 18 by Keno

My current boss is a right dickhead, couldn't manage a p'ss up in a brewery

Didn't know Herbivore was your boss?!

Try not to bite... it's a joke!

Had a couple of shockers for varying reasons over time.

One liked going for a fag break every two minutes..... as you do!
[Post edited 18 Dec 2018 18:29]
Worst boss you've ever had, and why? on 18:31 - Dec 18 with 1613 viewsMattinLondon

Worst boss you've ever had, and why? on 15:48 - Dec 18 by BlueBadger

They found out, eventually.
One, after being told by him that he was 'definitely' going to leave his wife for her and anyway they had basically lived apart for 18 months saw him in town, fawning over his visibly pregnant wife.

Awful
Worst boss you've ever had, and why? on 18:37 - Dec 18 with 1603 viewsshoopdelang

Can not believe the seriousness, length and depth of these replies lighten up it’s Christmas! It is no wonder your bosses didn’t like you all
Worst boss you've ever had, and why? on 20:42 - Dec 18 with 1536 viewsBlueBadger

Worst boss you've ever had, and why? on 18:31 - Dec 18 by MattinLondon

Awful

He was a dreadful prick, who was inexplicably popular with certain sections of the wider hospital population.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Worst boss you've ever had, and why? on 20:48 - Dec 18 with 1524 viewsGeoffSentence

I have been lucky with my bosses but some of my mates have some horror stories,

One of them was working at a family owned business where he was a high flyer and in with the owner of the company, who was a true gent by all accounts. Unfortunately the owner died of a heart attack and the son took over the company. The son is a real loser, on drugs, is a waster and hates my mate. He is now running the company into the ground and destroying morale, he even wanted to sack the fat people.

Another one has been pushed really hard by his boss, working long hours, no extra pay, missing out on family life , all on the promise that he would be first in line for the vacant VP post. Just before Christmas his boss anounced , in front of the entire team, that he would be taking on the role of VP himelf alongside his current role. He had basically been stringing my mate along all the time, and using him to get work done on the cheap.

Finally, and this won't sound quite so bad to some on here, one of my mates is a dental techinician and the dentist he works for is very attractive. The trouble is she keeps making sexual advances at my pal, which makes him very uncomfortable, it has got to the point where she is implying that he should sleep with him or he might lose his job.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Login to get fewer ads

Worst boss you've ever had, and why? on 20:51 - Dec 18 with 1521 viewsJ2BLUE

Worst boss you've ever had, and why? on 13:20 - Dec 18 by JimmyJazz

Had a manager who never passed any of his team when it came to appraisals. The appraisal had a final mark, 3-5 meant you were entitled to be considered for a rise and bonus. A mark of 3 basically meant you were doing your job satisfactorily.

Every member of this guy's team had a rating of 2, and this was then repeated a second year. So none of his team had a raise or bonus for 2 years, when most everyone else was getting at least standard 2% raises.

The rating of 2 indicated that there was room for improvement. Even if a person had satisfied all their objectives. When it came to 1-1 objective review it would be a good meeting, doing well, met objectives etc. But then the final review was submitted without our sign-off with the rating of 2.

After the second year this was reported to his manager and consequently to HR. The argument being that objectives were pointless as we would all be marked down regardless.

The next year we all had the most basic, easy objectives and he actually encouraged us after completing a simple task to enter it as an objective so it could be signed off as completed. No idea where this ploy was heading as he was let go before the third year ended.

I consider him a bully, but if anyone dared to face up to him he tended to crumble, although you knew he'd get his own back by issuing you with some demeaning task as a consequence.

The worst part was that to anyone outside his team he made out as a likeable clown. Other senior staff members would comment how he must be a good boss to work for. No one in his team agreed.

I've had the review thing. At my last job I was doing so much beyond my payscale. I was doing at least three quarters of my manager's job so much so that she only came into the branch I worked at for about an hour each month even though she was being paid to be our manager. When it came to review time she gave me a 'satisfactory' review rather than admitting that I did far more than she said. She always said it doesn't matter, you still get your pay rise. It worked. After stabbing me in the back she got the area manager job and made sure her daughter got the manager's job instead of the people who had worked there for years.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Worst boss you've ever had, and why? on 20:55 - Dec 18 with 1512 viewsSuperblue95

Worst boss you've ever had, and why? on 20:48 - Dec 18 by GeoffSentence

I have been lucky with my bosses but some of my mates have some horror stories,

One of them was working at a family owned business where he was a high flyer and in with the owner of the company, who was a true gent by all accounts. Unfortunately the owner died of a heart attack and the son took over the company. The son is a real loser, on drugs, is a waster and hates my mate. He is now running the company into the ground and destroying morale, he even wanted to sack the fat people.

Another one has been pushed really hard by his boss, working long hours, no extra pay, missing out on family life , all on the promise that he would be first in line for the vacant VP post. Just before Christmas his boss anounced , in front of the entire team, that he would be taking on the role of VP himelf alongside his current role. He had basically been stringing my mate along all the time, and using him to get work done on the cheap.

Finally, and this won't sound quite so bad to some on here, one of my mates is a dental techinician and the dentist he works for is very attractive. The trouble is she keeps making sexual advances at my pal, which makes him very uncomfortable, it has got to the point where she is implying that he should sleep with him or he might lose his job.

We must have the same mates because those stories sound remarkably familiar

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Worst boss you've ever had, and why? on 21:00 - Dec 18 with 1497 viewsGeoffSentence

Worst boss you've ever had, and why? on 20:55 - Dec 18 by Superblue95

We must have the same mates because those stories sound remarkably familiar

The three of them are at the end of their tethers, they just don't know what to do next. I just hope they don't do anything stupid.

Worst boss you've ever had, and why? on 21:05 - Dec 18 with 1479 viewsSuperblue95

Worst boss you've ever had, and why? on 21:00 - Dec 18 by GeoffSentence

The three of them are at the end of their tethers, they just don't know what to do next. I just hope they don't do anything stupid.

I'm sure they can learn to cope or find new jobs. Once they don't attempt to kill each other's bosses or something ridiculous they should be fine.

Worst boss you've ever had, and why? on 21:06 - Dec 18 with 1475 viewsGeoffSentence

Worst boss you've ever had, and why? on 21:05 - Dec 18 by Superblue95

I'm sure they can learn to cope or find new jobs. Once they don't attempt to kill each other's bosses or something ridiculous they should be fine.

By Crikey! I wouldn't put that past them.

Worst boss you've ever had, and why? on 21:08 - Dec 18 with 1472 viewsSuperblue95

Worst boss you've ever had, and why? on 21:06 - Dec 18 by GeoffSentence

By Crikey! I wouldn't put that past them.

Jammy b*stards might get away with it too

Worst boss you've ever had, and why? on 08:28 - Dec 19 with 1354 viewsartsbossbeard

My new boss is a complete tool. When we initially met up in a fantastic French Restaurant with him and the MD in June, he told me that I would be getting a BMW 340i as a company car, however, on my first day I picked up a brand new 1 series WITHOUT leather interior or the steptronic gearbox!!!

Anyhoo, to prove what a brute he was, he did arranged to swap it out for the steptronic model with leather interior after a few weeks as he'd realised that he's errored.

And you lot think you've had it tough! Amazing!!1!

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Worst boss you've ever had, and why? on 08:37 - Dec 19 with 1338 viewsSikamikanico

Was happily flying along in a role and had been doing it for two years. My manager and the business partners were full of praise for me and I could honestly see me staying there for life.

Then my manager left and a new one joined. This person started dictating what was to be done in all situations and how items were disclosed on forms. I asked why the change, not to be difficult but to genuinely understand the role better. She snapped back "because I said so"

And from that point on things degraded in the role but I was stuck in a training contract. The partners were still full of praise and I was often their first port of call for any tax matters as the people she proceeded to hire were either not suitable or part timers (nothing against part time people!) who ere not always there.

She resented my relationship with the partners and things got worse. I passed my qualification and was out of there once I found a suitable new job.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024