Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FA Cup fifth round replays scrapped.. 15:14 - Dec 18 with 2192 viewsSitfcB

...a season earlier than expected.

Basically to keep the PL clubs who are in European competition happy...

https://www.thefa.com/news/2018/dec/18/fa-cup-fifth-round-replays-181218

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

FA Cup fifth round replays scrapped.. on 15:37 - Dec 18 with 2122 viewsgainsboroughblue

May as well go the whole hog and make them ten minutes each way.

Ah, the good old days of the second replay.

Can only remember one from my Town following days. 1986 v West Ham. Drew at Upton Park on the Saturday. 1-1 aet at Portman Rd on the Tuesday in front of 25,000. After a coin toss, back to PR on the Thursday in front of 14,000 and a 1-0 defeat with an orange ball. It was fecking cold too.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

FA Cup fifth round replays scrapped.. on 15:39 - Dec 18 with 2113 viewsTractorCam

Originally I didn't mind the idea of fifth round replays scrapped, but then I realised that the whole point of it is due to the winter break next season forcing the fifth round on a mid week.

The FA is a complete sham.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

FA Cup fifth round replays scrapped.. on 15:40 - Dec 18 with 2099 viewsFreddies_Ears

FA Cup fifth round replays scrapped.. on 15:39 - Dec 18 by TractorCam

Originally I didn't mind the idea of fifth round replays scrapped, but then I realised that the whole point of it is due to the winter break next season forcing the fifth round on a mid week.

The FA is a complete sham.

It's going to get even worse very soon, as the whole calendar gets disrupted to accommodate the 2022 World Cup in November / December.
FA Cup fifth round replays scrapped.. on 16:02 - Dec 18 with 2045 viewsRadlett_blue

It's an understandable decision, although yet an other nail in the coffin of the FA Cup. Far worse was the decision to allow umpteen 3rd round ties to have their dates and/or kick off times changed so that only TEN of the 32 ties are kicking off on Saturday at 3pm. I believe this is due to "overseas TV schedules". It's presumably the result of selling the TV rights to provide more unneeded prize money for the big boys.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

FA Cup fifth round replays scrapped.. on 16:14 - Dec 18 with 2013 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Makes sense. They get zero protection from our FA in regards to european competition so finally a move to help them.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

FA Cup fifth round replays scrapped.. on 16:17 - Dec 18 with 2008 viewsBrianTablet

There's a 5th Round?

[Post edited 18 Dec 2018 16:46]

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

FA Cup fifth round replays scrapped.. on 18:26 - Dec 18 with 1873 viewsEastTownBlue

Every round up to and including the fourth round has replays now.

It must be progress and all of that.
FA Cup fifth round replays scrapped.. on 19:41 - Dec 18 with 1794 viewsNBVJohn

FA Cup fifth round replays scrapped.. on 15:37 - Dec 18 by gainsboroughblue

May as well go the whole hog and make them ten minutes each way.

Ah, the good old days of the second replay.

Can only remember one from my Town following days. 1986 v West Ham. Drew at Upton Park on the Saturday. 1-1 aet at Portman Rd on the Tuesday in front of 25,000. After a coin toss, back to PR on the Thursday in front of 14,000 and a 1-0 defeat with an orange ball. It was fecking cold too.

I remember those games - it felt like I was living in Churchmans that week. Great games of attacking football and a real intent to progress in the competition. It meant something back then. And yes it was fecking cold!
Login to get fewer ads

FA Cup fifth round replays scrapped.. on 19:51 - Dec 18 with 1783 viewsJ2BLUE

I would:

Rename the league cup the football league cup and remove Prem teams. Then make the FA Cup an elite competition again. Replays included in every round. Semis a two legged tie home and away.

A guaranteed play off place for the winners of the football league cup. It could create some brilliant stories. Imagine a Championship team getting relegated but winning the cup. They would then need to win the play offs or be relegated. Or a mid table league one team versus a mid table Championship team in the final. The team in 6th in each league cheering on the team from the other league.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

FA Cup fifth round replays scrapped.. on 05:30 - Dec 19 with 1633 viewsThe_Last_Baron

FA Cup fifth round replays scrapped.. on 19:41 - Dec 18 by NBVJohn

I remember those games - it felt like I was living in Churchmans that week. Great games of attacking football and a real intent to progress in the competition. It meant something back then. And yes it was fecking cold!

I remember listening to commentary of the replays on Radio 2. Bryon Butler and Peter Jones. Was fantastic.

Dozzell put us ahead in extra time in the first replay. I'll always remember the atmosphere sounding superb. Money and globalisation in football has killed what the FA Cup had, it was an unbeatable competition back then.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

FA Cup fifth round replays scrapped.. on 05:38 - Dec 19 with 1625 viewsThe_Major

I've said it for years now, but the simplest way to boost the Cup would be for the winners to be given a Champions League spot if they haven't qualified already via the league.

At least it's rewarding someone for actually winning something rather than just finishing 4th.
FA Cup fifth round replays scrapped.. on 07:33 - Dec 19 with 1558 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

FA Cup fifth round replays scrapped.. on 19:51 - Dec 18 by J2BLUE

I would:

Rename the league cup the football league cup and remove Prem teams. Then make the FA Cup an elite competition again. Replays included in every round. Semis a two legged tie home and away.

A guaranteed play off place for the winners of the football league cup. It could create some brilliant stories. Imagine a Championship team getting relegated but winning the cup. They would then need to win the play offs or be relegated. Or a mid table league one team versus a mid table Championship team in the final. The team in 6th in each league cheering on the team from the other league.

I started reading that last paragraph thinking that was a shambles of an idea. By the end of it though I was completely sold.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024