Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Highlights 18:58 - Dec 26 with 6467 viewsHARRY10

Watch Spence on 20 secs, total disinterest

https://www.skysports.com/football/qpr-vs-ipswich/392827

Highlights on 19:04 - Dec 26 with 5883 viewsmonytowbray

I’ve never seen a full back track back so slowly on the counter as Spence, today it was more than note worthy with the lack of cover. Mind you he wasn’t at fault for today as we were crap all round.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Highlights on 19:10 - Dec 26 with 5839 viewsSmithy

Everything about him just looks so half arsed, if he was just to even throw himself into a tackle and miss it would be an improvement
[Post edited 26 Dec 2018 19:10]

37 years and counting!
Poll: We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most?

Highlights on 19:13 - Dec 26 with 5805 viewsHerbivore

Those that rate Pennington, why? Lost his man on the free kick and didn't bother trying to stop the cut back for the third. To be fair all the goals were horrific but he is regularly directly to blame for goals conceded and yet some fans rate him?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Highlights on 19:18 - Dec 26 with 5777 viewsmonytowbray

Highlights on 19:13 - Dec 26 by Herbivore

Those that rate Pennington, why? Lost his man on the free kick and didn't bother trying to stop the cut back for the third. To be fair all the goals were horrific but he is regularly directly to blame for goals conceded and yet some fans rate him?

Honestly without him we’d concede more. That’s the depressing thing, he’s the benchmark for a good defender right now.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Highlights on 19:19 - Dec 26 with 5781 viewsSmithy

Compared to Spence at least he puts the effort in, watch Spence in that highlight reel and he really looks like he couldn't be bothered, no effort at all to close his man down or block a cross/shot, much could be said for the other full back offer very little at the back let alone going forward

37 years and counting!
Poll: We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most?

Highlights on 19:20 - Dec 26 with 5760 viewstextbackup

would rather see wolfenden here and playing

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Highlights on 19:23 - Dec 26 with 5730 viewsHerbivore

Highlights on 19:19 - Dec 26 by Smithy

Compared to Spence at least he puts the effort in, watch Spence in that highlight reel and he really looks like he couldn't be bothered, no effort at all to close his man down or block a cross/shot, much could be said for the other full back offer very little at the back let alone going forward

And yet Spence wasn't at fault for any of the goals, Pennington was. Again.

Highlights on 19:25 - Dec 26 with 5716 viewsHerbivore

Highlights on 19:18 - Dec 26 by monytowbray

Honestly without him we’d concede more. That’s the depressing thing, he’s the benchmark for a good defender right now.

I'm not convinced on that. I've said before he'd have been 4th choice CB here last season and I stand by that.

Login to get fewer ads

Highlights on 19:29 - Dec 26 with 5674 viewsHerbivore

Highlights on 19:20 - Dec 26 by textbackup

would rather see wolfenden here and playing

Yeah same, get him learning to he's ready to partner Chambo in League 1 next season. Pennington won't be here, I expect to see him permanently at somewhere like Wigan next season as their third choice CB.
[Post edited 26 Dec 2018 19:35]

Highlights on 19:29 - Dec 26 with 5676 viewsLeagueOne

How he's managed to stay here 3 seasons and play nearly 80 odd games is one of life's miracles.

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

Highlights on 19:31 - Dec 26 with 5668 viewscbower

Look closely at the second goal though Herbs. Yes, Pennington was beaten to the ball but he was just about the only Town man genuinely on the move. He was, at least, trying to get somewhere near the ball.

bluescouser

Highlights on 19:41 - Dec 26 with 5612 viewsHerbivore

Highlights on 19:31 - Dec 26 by cbower

Look closely at the second goal though Herbs. Yes, Pennington was beaten to the ball but he was just about the only Town man genuinely on the move. He was, at least, trying to get somewhere near the ball.

Either go with the man or hold the line and play offside surely? Looked like we were holding a deliberately high line and looks to me like Pennington dropped back and played them on then didn't get the ball or really impede the man either.

Highlights on 19:54 - Dec 26 with 5559 viewschristiand

Highlights on 19:41 - Dec 26 by Herbivore

Either go with the man or hold the line and play offside surely? Looked like we were holding a deliberately high line and looks to me like Pennington dropped back and played them on then didn't get the ball or really impede the man either.

Love how you’re so critical about Pennington - most games he has played - but fail to see faults in both our fullbacks and are more accepting of their limited performances most weeks. It comes across that because Pennington is a loan player you are being overly critical and not willing to accept him, even if he plays well and thrive on highlighting the slightest mistake, like Chalobah really.
[Post edited 26 Dec 2018 19:56]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Highlights on 19:57 - Dec 26 with 5530 viewsHerbivore

Highlights on 19:54 - Dec 26 by christiand

Love how you’re so critical about Pennington - most games he has played - but fail to see faults in both our fullbacks and are more accepting of their limited performances most weeks. It comes across that because Pennington is a loan player you are being overly critical and not willing to accept him, even if he plays well and thrive on highlighting the slightest mistake, like Chalobah really.
[Post edited 26 Dec 2018 19:56]

I'm critical of Pennington as he is frequently at fault for goals, mate.

Highlights on 19:59 - Dec 26 with 5519 viewschristiand

Highlights on 19:57 - Dec 26 by Herbivore

I'm critical of Pennington as he is frequently at fault for goals, mate.

Like other players in the side, but they seem exempt from criticism because they are ‘our’ players it appears? Be consistent at least.
[Post edited 26 Dec 2018 20:00]

Highlights on 20:07 - Dec 26 with 5478 viewsHARRY10

Highlights on 19:10 - Dec 26 by Smithy

Everything about him just looks so half arsed, if he was just to even throw himself into a tackle and miss it would be an improvement
[Post edited 26 Dec 2018 19:10]

Watch the third goal,

Ball down on the byline near the corner yet the QPR player manages to cut the ball back and another scores with two of ours around him.

And then watch Spence. Certainly not arking anyone and as the goal goes in gives a momentary glance behind and contines with his disinterested stroll.

That is why we are bottom. Having players who don't seem to give a stuff about if we concede a goal. Too often I have seen him stroll around as if he hadn't a care in the world

As far as we go he hasn't.
Highlights on 20:21 - Dec 26 with 5418 viewsnshearman1

Highlights on 20:07 - Dec 26 by HARRY10

Watch the third goal,

Ball down on the byline near the corner yet the QPR player manages to cut the ball back and another scores with two of ours around him.

And then watch Spence. Certainly not arking anyone and as the goal goes in gives a momentary glance behind and contines with his disinterested stroll.

That is why we are bottom. Having players who don't seem to give a stuff about if we concede a goal. Too often I have seen him stroll around as if he hadn't a care in the world

As far as we go he hasn't.

Herb's comments about Pennington are fair enough on the whole. I think Pennington started quite well early in the season but has lost his way, he's a young player in a poor team. Right now PL has little alternative, Donacien there anyone? Or move in Knudsen and play Kenlock? Maybe bring back Woolfenden if he can in January but my hunch is he's looking for experience at the back. Where I'd differ from Herb is I wouldn't necessarily single out Pennington so much. Our whole defence is poor. Look at the third goal, for example. Pennington lets the guy get through on the left, Knudsen's not there, and Chambers jogs him into a nice shooting position without really pressing. I know Herb loves Knudsen but just as in every game I see, he has times when he's well out of position. And Spence goes AWOL too. Added to that, Gerken had a pretty poor game too, I worry that the keepers just aren't as well coached as they were last season.
Highlights on 20:51 - Dec 26 with 5289 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Highlights on 20:21 - Dec 26 by nshearman1

Herb's comments about Pennington are fair enough on the whole. I think Pennington started quite well early in the season but has lost his way, he's a young player in a poor team. Right now PL has little alternative, Donacien there anyone? Or move in Knudsen and play Kenlock? Maybe bring back Woolfenden if he can in January but my hunch is he's looking for experience at the back. Where I'd differ from Herb is I wouldn't necessarily single out Pennington so much. Our whole defence is poor. Look at the third goal, for example. Pennington lets the guy get through on the left, Knudsen's not there, and Chambers jogs him into a nice shooting position without really pressing. I know Herb loves Knudsen but just as in every game I see, he has times when he's well out of position. And Spence goes AWOL too. Added to that, Gerken had a pretty poor game too, I worry that the keepers just aren't as well coached as they were last season.

I think Herb's (correct) point is that people are singling out Spence and Knudsen. Neither was at fault for any of the goals. Today's OP is classic. It is a desperate piece of scapegoating. He is criticising him for not tackling a player that is already being shadowed by another player. What the OP expected Spence to do on 20 s in of the highlights I don't get.

Pennington could easily be criticised for all 3 of the goals. It doesn't help if he is. What I don't get is why people continue to single out Spence especially.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Highlights on 20:55 - Dec 26 with 5274 viewsHerbivore

Highlights on 20:51 - Dec 26 by Nthsuffolkblue

I think Herb's (correct) point is that people are singling out Spence and Knudsen. Neither was at fault for any of the goals. Today's OP is classic. It is a desperate piece of scapegoating. He is criticising him for not tackling a player that is already being shadowed by another player. What the OP expected Spence to do on 20 s in of the highlights I don't get.

Pennington could easily be criticised for all 3 of the goals. It doesn't help if he is. What I don't get is why people continue to single out Spence especially.

Quite.

Highlights on 20:58 - Dec 26 with 5271 viewschristiand

Highlights on 20:51 - Dec 26 by Nthsuffolkblue

For that third goal alone that ball has come a long way from the touchline, Chambers hasn’t got tight enough and allows Wells to turn and shoot, just rank bad defending. Although, the focus will be on Pennington allowing the QPR player to get the ball into the penalty area in the first place! The post you’re replying to Nthsuffolkblue is spot on. There’s too many of our defenders that continually make mistakes, game after game, or perform poorly, but it appears certain ones aren’t allowed to be criticised.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2018 10:58]

Highlights on 21:03 - Dec 26 with 5248 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Highlights on 20:58 - Dec 26 by christiand

For that third goal alone that ball has come a long way from the touchline, Chambers hasn’t got tight enough and allows Wells to turn and shoot, just rank bad defending. Although, the focus will be on Pennington allowing the QPR player to get the ball into the penalty area in the first place! The post you’re replying to Nthsuffolkblue is spot on. There’s too many of our defenders that continually make mistakes, game after game, or perform poorly, but it appears certain ones aren’t allowed to be criticised.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2018 10:58]

I don't think it's that certain ones aren't allowed to be criticised but rather that the focus is always on certain ones such that they always get the blame. Scapegoating certain players does not help the team at all.

The defence as a unit is poor currently. As a unit it needs improving.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Highlights on 21:14 - Dec 26 with 5203 viewschristiand

Highlights on 21:03 - Dec 26 by Nthsuffolkblue

I don't think it's that certain ones aren't allowed to be criticised but rather that the focus is always on certain ones such that they always get the blame. Scapegoating certain players does not help the team at all.

The defence as a unit is poor currently. As a unit it needs improving.

Without a doubt, but ‘scapegoating’ could easily be labelled at Pennington. I look at the first goal today, Pennington being unfairly criticised; as a keeper Gerken has just pushed that back in front of his goal for the striker to run on to and put away, instead of pushing that out wide out of danger, but that appears to be selectively forgotten. That’s where the criticism isn’t consistent for me.

Couldn’t agree more. As a defensive unit they look as about as useful as a chocolate fireguard and they are ‘all’ responsible, it’s not solely down to Pennington. If mistakes are made, the rest of the defenders should be there to help out. The defensive unit should be a team within a team, that’s what I was always taught.

Highlights on 21:19 - Dec 26 with 5176 viewspatrickswell

Spence had an OK game today. In fact no one was particularly terrible - Nolan made the most awful rick, but the problem was no one really got hold of the ball or game for us after we went 2-0 down. It was huff and puff but very little quality, urgency or thought.
Highlights on 22:22 - Dec 26 with 5009 viewsyocal_lad

Where I sit in lower Coop he plays right in front of me every home game. He never tracks back and is so slow and laboured. I honestly just think if we changed the fullbacks or played three at the back we would be much tighter as a unit. Chambers and Pennington are just so exposed by the two fullbacks every game

We can’t win games if we always need to score 2-3 goals.

As for Nolan, just showed what I think we all know L1 player who just lacks enough for the championship.
Highlights on 22:30 - Dec 26 with 4979 viewsSomethingBlue

Pennington is costing us goals every game and we really can't get CCV - or equivalent - through the door quickly enough.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024