Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
While yesterday was depressing ... 14:27 - Dec 27 with 4534 viewsDarth_Koont

If we look at the positives, I think 3 signings could transform this team. Probably down the spine of the team.

Lambert is right that the play between the boxes was fine but we really struggle to do the right things from there, particularly when we're just starting to put the opposition under pressure.

But put a more experienced target man up there who likes playing with his back to goal and can hold the ball up. And give us a player who can give us a cutting edge in an attacking midfield position (and also keep the ball when needed), and suddenly there's a supply line and outlet for the team's workrate and decent play in the middle third. I'm sure Lambert is looking for his next Hoolihan and Holt.

Re: the defence, it's a collective issue rather than pointing out one individual, so think a wise old head in there who can settle us down and not get physically dominated would be great. And also someone who can play the ball out if we're going to persist in that. A Matt Elliott in other words.

Lord knows where we can get loanees of that level but if they bring some of these qualities, then maybe it helps the other players contribute more.

Pronouns: He/Him

While yesterday was depressing ... on 14:32 - Dec 27 with 4517 viewsTrequartista

We can't carry on with these full-backs.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

While yesterday was depressing ... on 14:38 - Dec 27 with 4498 viewsDarth_Koont

While yesterday was depressing ... on 14:32 - Dec 27 by Trequartista

We can't carry on with these full-backs.

You could apply that to any of the squad though. Certainly any of the back 5 when you see the mistakes everyone makes and the goals we've conceded.

If we're realistically looking at 3 or 4 players then a couple in attack/attacking midfield are the biggest priority. Then the simplest fix is to put a player in the middle of the defence to calm things down. Fullbacks seem a little too far down the list, but who knows?

While yesterday was depressing ... on 14:46 - Dec 27 with 4471 viewsTrequartista

While yesterday was depressing ... on 14:38 - Dec 27 by Darth_Koont

You could apply that to any of the squad though. Certainly any of the back 5 when you see the mistakes everyone makes and the goals we've conceded.

If we're realistically looking at 3 or 4 players then a couple in attack/attacking midfield are the biggest priority. Then the simplest fix is to put a player in the middle of the defence to calm things down. Fullbacks seem a little too far down the list, but who knows?

I don't think Chambers and Pennington are doing that badly, they are just swamped by attacks because a) there is no protection from central attacks with Skuse missing - Chalobah and Downes might play deep but they don't break down enough attacks and b) there are too many crosses coming into our box from wide areas. In the end one will eventually end in a goal and we look at the highlights and say Pennington he should have been in a better position, but the sheer number of attacks they are facing means this will always happen.

Also Donacien is not considered by PL to be a full-back so Spence has no competition for his place whatsoever.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2018 14:47]

While yesterday was depressing ... on 14:49 - Dec 27 with 4443 viewsFrimleyBlue

I'll refer to my earlier thread about the highlights 14 seconds in

Midfield have the ball, we're on the attack.......... Our striker, isn't anywhere near the box, not even close to it...... why?? How is ward ending up being our closest player to the box when he's actually started deeper than our striker.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

While yesterday was depressing ... on 14:51 - Dec 27 with 4438 viewsDarth_Koont

While yesterday was depressing ... on 14:46 - Dec 27 by Trequartista

I don't think Chambers and Pennington are doing that badly, they are just swamped by attacks because a) there is no protection from central attacks with Skuse missing - Chalobah and Downes might play deep but they don't break down enough attacks and b) there are too many crosses coming into our box from wide areas. In the end one will eventually end in a goal and we look at the highlights and say Pennington he should have been in a better position, but the sheer number of attacks they are facing means this will always happen.

Also Donacien is not considered by PL to be a full-back so Spence has no competition for his place whatsoever.

Are they facing that many attacks? I thought we overall had the edge yesterday but we coughed up chances/they took theirs and they scored three.

The fullbacks were blameless on these occasions.

While yesterday was depressing ... on 14:54 - Dec 27 with 4423 viewsDennyx4

While yesterday was depressing ... on 14:38 - Dec 27 by Darth_Koont

Think you could replace any of our current eleven, but agree the key priorities are a Central attacker, central midfield and then a centre half.

If loans is our more likely transfer strategy and Chalobah and Pennington are still to feature, means we can only get three decent loan additions.
While yesterday was depressing ... on 14:54 - Dec 27 with 4419 viewsFrimleyBlue

While yesterday was depressing ... on 14:46 - Dec 27 by Trequartista

The problems we have are:

We can't seem to cross like any other side, some of the balls into our box lately have been superb..... even if we get close to putting a ball into the box, we don't have anyone in it... opponents however have at least 2 or 3 everytime.

Pennington can not win a header from a cross, he always loses his man, corners, freekicks, always caught out. For a tall guy he's terrible with dealing with aerial balls - we need a De Vos, a Mowbray at the back.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

While yesterday was depressing ... on 14:59 - Dec 27 with 4403 viewsTrequartista

While yesterday was depressing ... on 14:51 - Dec 27 by Darth_Koont

Are they facing that many attacks? I thought we overall had the edge yesterday but we coughed up chances/they took theirs and they scored three.

The fullbacks were blameless on these occasions.

I disagree entirely that we had the edge. Up to the first goal they applied constant pressure for the first 10, which could have been 2-0, then we had a good 5 minutes, then they came back into it until they scored. We had lots of the ball in the second half because they sat back at 2-0.

Login to get fewer ads

While yesterday was depressing ... on 15:11 - Dec 27 with 4357 viewsDarth_Koont

While yesterday was depressing ... on 14:49 - Dec 27 by FrimleyBlue

I'll refer to my earlier thread about the highlights 14 seconds in

Midfield have the ball, we're on the attack.......... Our striker, isn't anywhere near the box, not even close to it...... why?? How is ward ending up being our closest player to the box when he's actually started deeper than our striker.

Nolan did very well to break through and we were caught on our heels as it's such a rare occurrence for us to have a cutting edge. Can't remember what happened to Harrison before but he's walking in the centre circle so he was definitely out of position.

But here's the bit we do so poorly — and you can imagine Freeman of QPR doing so much better. Nolan has a shot way out and from a tight angle when there's little to no chance of scoring and Ward was too far out to follow up. If Nolan could have held the ball up and waited for support with QPR still in disarray then maybe we could have done something. But it's been a feature this season of how cheaply we surrender possession and pressure in the opposition half.

Generally, Nolan did play one of his best games for us but we're still lacking quality on the ball - both decision-making and execution.

While yesterday was depressing ... on 15:13 - Dec 27 with 4339 viewsNoBru

Unless these 3 signings are Ronaldo, Ramos and Modric I'd say you were probably wrong.
While yesterday was depressing ... on 15:18 - Dec 27 with 4321 viewsDarth_Koont

While yesterday was depressing ... on 14:59 - Dec 27 by Trequartista

I disagree entirely that we had the edge. Up to the first goal they applied constant pressure for the first 10, which could have been 2-0, then we had a good 5 minutes, then they came back into it until they scored. We had lots of the ball in the second half because they sat back at 2-0.

More in terms of possession and the flow of the game after the first 10. QPR definitely had more pressure than us when they visited the attacking third because they were far more effective and we were shakier in defence. They wholly deserved to win.

Lambert's post-match assessment of our issues in both boxes was spot on IMO. But it's been a feature of most games this season too.

While yesterday was depressing ... on 15:19 - Dec 27 with 4306 viewsDarth_Koont

While yesterday was depressing ... on 15:13 - Dec 27 by NoBru

Unless these 3 signings are Ronaldo, Ramos and Modric I'd say you were probably wrong.

This is the Championship - that's exactly how it works if you get 2 or 3 of the right signings.

While yesterday was depressing ... on 15:27 - Dec 27 with 4278 viewsjjblue84

As we currently have a poor attack, non-existent midfield and leaky defence, a signing in each position is essential! How that ‘transforms’ us is another question, it’s possible we might no longer be terrible...
While yesterday was depressing ... on 15:31 - Dec 27 with 4255 viewsNoBru

While yesterday was depressing ... on 15:19 - Dec 27 by Darth_Koont

This is the Championship - that's exactly how it works if you get 2 or 3 of the right signings.

I really hope we do make the right signings but I'm concerned that PL is probably going to have to settle on some players as we will be priced out.
While yesterday was depressing ... on 15:35 - Dec 27 with 4233 viewshadleighboyblue

While yesterday was depressing ... on 14:54 - Dec 27 by FrimleyBlue

The problems we have are:

We can't seem to cross like any other side, some of the balls into our box lately have been superb..... even if we get close to putting a ball into the box, we don't have anyone in it... opponents however have at least 2 or 3 everytime.

Pennington can not win a header from a cross, he always loses his man, corners, freekicks, always caught out. For a tall guy he's terrible with dealing with aerial balls - we need a De Vos, a Mowbray at the back.

Sides have sussed out that both full backs are weak , that's why they are able to put dangerous crosses in , Spence goes missing every match .
While yesterday was depressing ... on 15:37 - Dec 27 with 4226 viewsFtnfwest

Agree it may not take too much to get us going in the right direction with the right additions but it’s a long shot now given the time available as to whether it would make enough of a difference. CCV I think would bring a huge boost to the side plus as you say some sort of threat up front. I still think that out of all the PH signings the one I’d want to keep longer term is Nolan (assuming we’re discounting Donacien).
While yesterday was depressing ... on 15:38 - Dec 27 with 4218 viewsDarth_Koont

While yesterday was depressing ... on 15:31 - Dec 27 by NoBru

I really hope we do make the right signings but I'm concerned that PL is probably going to have to settle on some players as we will be priced out.

Agree there. As I said in the first post, I don't know where we get the quality we need in January.

So, thinking about it, if we're taking a gamble on players working out that we might put all our eggs in the attacking basket as that's the area we most definitely need to sort out.

If we scored a decent amount goals then we could cover up a lot of issues elsewhere and it would probably give our defensive midfielders and defence a confidence boost overnight.

While yesterday was depressing ... on 15:39 - Dec 27 with 4216 viewsNoBru

While yesterday was depressing ... on 15:35 - Dec 27 by hadleighboyblue

Sides have sussed out that both full backs are weak , that's why they are able to put dangerous crosses in , Spence goes missing every match .

I find it very frustrating that some fans like to use Spence as a scapegoat, I think he has improved in the last 2/3 games and most of our issues are in attacking positions.

I'm not saying that I rate Spence, but there's 11 players in that team and all I ever hear is that Spence is the problem.

I'd argue the following have also let us down lately.

Knudsen
Edwards
Dozzell
Ward
Jackson

All these players have failed to impose themselves on any of the games they have played, I cannot believe for one minute that Spence is to blame for all this.
While yesterday was depressing ... on 15:40 - Dec 27 with 4210 viewsDarth_Koont

While yesterday was depressing ... on 15:35 - Dec 27 by hadleighboyblue

I'll repeat: You could say the same about all of our defenders and both keepers when it comes to crosses.

How did Spence go missing yesterday?

While yesterday was depressing ... on 16:15 - Dec 27 with 4092 viewsBlueBadger

While yesterday was depressing ... on 15:39 - Dec 27 by NoBru

I find it very frustrating that some fans like to use Spence as a scapegoat, I think he has improved in the last 2/3 games and most of our issues are in attacking positions.

I'm not saying that I rate Spence, but there's 11 players in that team and all I ever hear is that Spence is the problem.

I'd argue the following have also let us down lately.

Knudsen
Edwards
Dozzell
Ward
Jackson

All these players have failed to impose themselves on any of the games they have played, I cannot believe for one minute that Spence is to blame for all this.

Bit harsh on Dozzell. He's a young player who's coming back a LONG injury layoff, playing in a side which is short on quality and confidence and his game isn;t really about the sort of battling and scrapping needed for a relegation battle. He'd probably be better off going out on loan, I fear.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

While yesterday was depressing ... on 17:31 - Dec 27 with 3939 viewsagentp

Think we will see more than three in TBH. 2/3 loan and 2 permanent is my prediction.

Poll: If only these two were available who would you choose for the rest of the season

While yesterday was depressing ... on 19:45 - Dec 27 with 3808 viewsIllinoisblue

it will take more than 3 players to get out of this mess; we are chronically short of quality and experience throughout the squad. It's criminal that we're in this state. Years of mismanagement and neglect from the top down are coming to their inevitable conclusion.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024