Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Computer nerd folks... Hardware problem 16:25 - Dec 27 with 3002 viewssparks

My son's PC has died. Its one I built about 7 years ago and has been upgraded since.

It whirrs, then shuts off again- prior to any POST process or even any beeps. Have reseated everything- tried with and without ram. The ram light flashes which made me wonder if it was that- but even with no ram, or the sticks swapped one at a time, no difference.

Have reset CMOS and replaced the CMOS battery.

Im guessing its either PSU or its properly knackered. Any thoughts?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Computer nerd folks... Hardware problem on 16:57 - Dec 27 with 2944 viewsmos

https://www.tomshardware.com

Check PSU - turn it on, check to see if the fan works, or lights turn on. If they work then the problem probably lies elsewhere.

Listen for any scratching, it could be the HDD, presuming you have a proper hard drive, and not an optical one. And that the OS isn’t on a SSD for example.

But use TomsHardware, particularly the forum section. You’ll find people who are in the know-how.

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

Computer nerd folks... Hardware problem on 16:59 - Dec 27 with 2938 viewssparks

Computer nerd folks... Hardware problem on 16:57 - Dec 27 by mos

https://www.tomshardware.com

Check PSU - turn it on, check to see if the fan works, or lights turn on. If they work then the problem probably lies elsewhere.

Listen for any scratching, it could be the HDD, presuming you have a proper hard drive, and not an optical one. And that the OS isn’t on a SSD for example.

But use TomsHardware, particularly the forum section. You’ll find people who are in the know-how.

Yeah- ive popped by tomshardware.

There are lights- but Im wondering if there isnt enough power getting through.

I dont think it can be HDD given that it doesnt get as far as POST let alone trying to boot from the HDD.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Computer nerd folks... Hardware problem on 17:01 - Dec 27 with 2934 viewsWicklowBlue

If psu fan is spinning check for a flea power led on the board if there is one.

Next step strip everything off the motherboard until you have the min to post, normally power/CPU and 1 dimm. No USB devices, hard drives, pcie devices etc.

I've seen even monitors cause no post. So try with no memory and no monitor/keyb/mouse and see do you get beeps. If not then remove CPU carefully and see if beeps.

Otherwise could be board, psu or even powerbutton.

Good luck
[Post edited 27 Dec 2018 17:37]
Computer nerd folks... Hardware problem on 17:32 - Dec 27 with 2894 viewssparks

Computer nerd folks... Hardware problem on 17:01 - Dec 27 by WicklowBlue

If psu fan is spinning check for a flea power led on the board if there is one.

Next step strip everything off the motherboard until you have the min to post, normally power/CPU and 1 dimm. No USB devices, hard drives, pcie devices etc.

I've seen even monitors cause no post. So try with no memory and no monitor/keyb/mouse and see do you get beeps. If not then remove CPU carefully and see if beeps.

Otherwise could be board, psu or even powerbutton.

Good luck
[Post edited 27 Dec 2018 17:37]

Ta. Powerbutton is an interesting possibility

Computer nerd folks... Hardware problem on 17:37 - Dec 27 with 2883 viewsWicklowBlue

Computer nerd folks... Hardware problem on 17:32 - Dec 27 by sparks

Ta. Powerbutton is an interesting possibility

Check the mbb specs there could be some diagnostic leds to help.
Computer nerd folks... Hardware problem on 17:50 - Dec 27 with 2865 viewsBurwell_Blue

7 years old. Time to go.
Computer nerd folks... Hardware problem on 18:25 - Dec 27 with 2823 viewssparks

Computer nerd folks... Hardware problem on 17:50 - Dec 27 by Burwell_Blue

7 years old. Time to go.

I dont have £500 hanging around tbh. Ive a new boiler. a weekend sports car and a 12 string guitar to buy. As well as a freezer.

Its decent for its age and runs all he needs (just about). And he's not having mine! My daughter's is even older!

Computer nerd folks... Hardware problem on 18:27 - Dec 27 with 2817 viewsBurwell_Blue

Computer nerd folks... Hardware problem on 18:25 - Dec 27 by sparks

I dont have £500 hanging around tbh. Ive a new boiler. a weekend sports car and a 12 string guitar to buy. As well as a freezer.

Its decent for its age and runs all he needs (just about). And he's not having mine! My daughter's is even older!

Three words.

Interest free credit.
Login to get fewer ads

Computer nerd folks... Hardware problem on 18:32 - Dec 27 with 2806 viewssparks

Computer nerd folks... Hardware problem on 18:27 - Dec 27 by Burwell_Blue

Three words.

Interest free credit.

I can physically arrange to afford things if I need- but here's the thing...

1- if you rely on credit, you eventually get filled up with credit and can no longer enjoy things you want / need

2- It makes no sense to spend £500 on a PC (which will be the 4th int he household including a gaming laptop and excluding work laptops and my wifes low end mini laptop...) when I have a perfectly serviceable one which may just need fixing!

Computer nerd folks... Hardware problem on 18:39 - Dec 27 with 2789 viewsmos

Computer nerd folks... Hardware problem on 18:27 - Dec 27 by Burwell_Blue

Three words.

Interest free credit.

Setting the example lol.

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

Computer nerd folks... Hardware problem on 18:39 - Dec 27 with 2789 viewsBloomBlue

Computer nerd folks... Hardware problem on 18:25 - Dec 27 by sparks

But you can buy a crappy old Mazda mx5 for around £300 and a 12 string guitar on eBay for £70, second hand freezers for £100 if you collect. ok the boiler may cost you a bit but should have some left over for a newish pc.
Computer nerd folks... Hardware problem on 18:42 - Dec 27 with 2784 viewssparks

Computer nerd folks... Hardware problem on 18:39 - Dec 27 by BloomBlue

But you can buy a crappy old Mazda mx5 for around £300 and a 12 string guitar on eBay for £70, second hand freezers for £100 if you collect. ok the boiler may cost you a bit but should have some left over for a newish pc.

I think you underestimate my tastes :-)

I had an MX5 years ago, so am after a 2.8 or 3.0 Z3 in good nick.

The 12 string I want is a Hauver Gambler.

The modest freeser should be £140 ish- so thats fine.

Wife might get irritated by spending on yet another pc

Computer nerd folks... Hardware problem on 18:50 - Dec 27 with 2767 viewsTrequartista

Computer nerd folks... Hardware problem on 17:50 - Dec 27 by Burwell_Blue

7 years old. Time to go.

I won't downvote you, as you are only saying it how it is, but making computers that last only 7 years to make you buy new ones really makes my blood boil

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Computer nerd folks... Hardware problem on 20:53 - Dec 27 with 2694 viewsBurwell_Blue

Computer nerd folks... Hardware problem on 18:50 - Dec 27 by Trequartista

I won't downvote you, as you are only saying it how it is, but making computers that last only 7 years to make you buy new ones really makes my blood boil

Understand what you are saying but in seven years it will be as slow as Currie anyway, so time to get it out.

Saying that, I’ve had two laptops in the last 15 years so it could be how you treat it rather than how good it is.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2018 20:53]
Computer nerd folks... Hardware problem on 22:09 - Dec 27 with 2614 viewsjeera

Computer nerd folks... Hardware problem on 20:53 - Dec 27 by Burwell_Blue

Understand what you are saying but in seven years it will be as slow as Currie anyway, so time to get it out.

Saying that, I’ve had two laptops in the last 15 years so it could be how you treat it rather than how good it is.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2018 20:53]

Surely the idea of a tower is to be able to replace parts as you go along and so keep it as 'modern' as you wish.

A bit like Trigger's broom.

I've had to replace my laptop recently despite it still hanging on in there function wise, but the blasted casing fell to bits around it. I'd still like to try to find a casing for it to see what I can salvage, but it's not like a good old desktop for repairs is it.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Computer nerd folks... Hardware problem on 22:13 - Dec 27 with 2609 viewstcblue

Computer nerd folks... Hardware problem on 18:50 - Dec 27 by Trequartista

Crikey, where to start with this gem.

Seven years is an age in computing. Whilst Moore's Law doesn't apply any more, the issue you describe is probably more to do with software being developed and eventually leaving your hardware behind - but that's the price of progress.

Also, a PC is just about the most modular tech you can buy, meaning if you know what you're doing or how to use YouTube, you can upgrade just a component or two and get back on track.

I have just bought a PC from work - it's 3 years old and so was on the list to be refreshed - I put in a new power supply and a graphics card and it plays modern games no problem. Won't need to touch the motherboard, RAM or CPU for years to come, should probably get an SSD hard drive in it.

Unless you're talking Apple, I guess. In which case, please continue your rant
Computer nerd folks... Hardware problem on 22:46 - Dec 27 with 2577 viewsXYZ

Computer nerd folks... Hardware problem on 18:42 - Dec 27 by sparks

I think you underestimate my tastes :-)

I had an MX5 years ago, so am after a 2.8 or 3.0 Z3 in good nick.

The 12 string I want is a Hauver Gambler.

The modest freeser should be £140 ish- so thats fine.

Wife might get irritated by spending on yet another pc

Is it your wife encouraging you to spend money on things you think will make your penis bigger?

Your son's probably on the 'phone to Childline as I type.
Computer nerd folks... Hardware problem on 23:12 - Dec 27 with 2558 viewssparks

Computer nerd folks... Hardware problem on 22:46 - Dec 27 by XYZ

Is it your wife encouraging you to spend money on things you think will make your penis bigger?

Your son's probably on the 'phone to Childline as I type.

Classy.

Computer nerd folks... Hardware problem on 23:33 - Dec 27 with 2543 viewsXYZ

Computer nerd folks... Hardware problem on 23:12 - Dec 27 by sparks

Classy.

It's a joke.

The lack of class is implicitly part of the joke.

My kids have certainly threatened me with Childline when their gizmos don't work.

Apologies if it wasn't funny.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2018 23:34]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024