Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Veganuary 19:17 - Dec 28 with 2029 viewsBlueNote

Professional footballer Declan Rudd promoting the benefits of being vegan

Veganuary on 20:46 - Dec 28 with 1966 viewsJ2BLUE

Thought about it. Decided against it.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Veganuary on 21:01 - Dec 28 with 1942 viewsSwansea_Blue

If he ate meat he'd be playing for Real Madrid now!

Good for him. The 'not enough proteign' myth has been busted for a while now. If done properly (and that's the important bit) it seems that a vegan lifestyle has significant benefits. It could be a great tool in fighting heart disease and obesity, two of our biggest killers and NHS strains, if only people could get over their prejudices.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Veganuary on 21:02 - Dec 28 with 1943 viewsOldsmoker

Sorry, but I'm not interested.
Usually, I get told that its No Smoking day so why am I rolling one up or I should be growing a moustache so why am I clean shaven.
I get accused of not caring and they're right - I don't give a sh*t.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Veganuary on 21:10 - Dec 28 with 1929 viewsStirlingArcher

I had to google him...

and not for me
Veganuary on 21:12 - Dec 28 with 1924 viewsJ2BLUE

Veganuary on 21:01 - Dec 28 by Swansea_Blue

Good for him. The 'not enough proteign' myth has been busted for a while now. If done properly (and that's the important bit) it seems that a vegan lifestyle has significant benefits. It could be a great tool in fighting heart disease and obesity, two of our biggest killers and NHS strains, if only people could get over their prejudices.

Possibly. Some anecdotal evidence to show there is a sweet spot for veganism and health issues creep in after a few years.

Hard to say whether it is healthy long term. It depends what it's compared with. The standard western diet tends to be unhealthy. Would a vegan diet with plenty of wholegrains, fruit, veg, nuts etc be more or less healthy than the same diet with a few servings of high quality animal products each week? Hard to say.

Truly impaired.

Veganuary on 09:20 - Dec 29 with 1818 viewsRyorry

Veganuary on 21:12 - Dec 28 by J2BLUE

Possibly. Some anecdotal evidence to show there is a sweet spot for veganism and health issues creep in after a few years.

Hard to say whether it is healthy long term. It depends what it's compared with. The standard western diet tends to be unhealthy. Would a vegan diet with plenty of wholegrains, fruit, veg, nuts etc be more or less healthy than the same diet with a few servings of high quality animal products each week? Hard to say.

Quite.

When I was in hosp a few years back with all sorts of problems (gastric tract & had recently had numerous strokes) the doc asked what sort of diet I was on, told him vegetarian as I had been for a few years at the time. He said "oh that's OK, as long as it's not anything extreme such as vegan".

Think the jury's still out - are there any countries/cultures where a vegan diet's been the norm for whole lifetimes & could be put to to full clinical testing?

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Veganuary on 09:22 - Dec 29 with 1813 viewsRyorry

Veganuary on 21:01 - Dec 28 by Swansea_Blue

You don't have to be vegan to have a healthy diet and lifestyle which "fight heart disease and obesity"!

Veganuary on 09:31 - Dec 29 with 1801 viewsSwansea_Blue

Veganuary on 09:20 - Dec 29 by Ryorry

Quite.

When I was in hosp a few years back with all sorts of problems (gastric tract & had recently had numerous strokes) the doc asked what sort of diet I was on, told him vegetarian as I had been for a few years at the time. He said "oh that's OK, as long as it's not anything extreme such as vegan".

Think the jury's still out - are there any countries/cultures where a vegan diet's been the norm for whole lifetimes & could be put to to full clinical testing?

I don’t think the jury’s out at all - there’s published evidence and plenty of anecdotal evidence from long-term vegans. It’s the same as J2’s argument though - it has to be a good version of the diet. Of course it’s possible to have a poor vegan diet. If vegans are eating nitrient-poor processed crap it’s not going to do them any favours.

J2’s point about veganism being seen as healthy relative to the broadly accepted western diet is a fair one too, for the same reasons. There’s lots people could do to improve their diets where meat is a part of them.

Login to get fewer ads

Veganuary on 10:21 - Dec 29 with 1767 viewseireblue

Veganuary on 09:20 - Dec 29 by Ryorry

Quite.

My previous doctors comment on knowing I was a vegan was, “you will probably out live us all”.

Sadly, in her case, I did. Doctors can also have a bias.
Veganuary on 10:31 - Dec 29 with 1754 viewsRyorry

Veganuary on 09:31 - Dec 29 by Swansea_Blue

I don’t think the jury’s out at all - there’s published evidence and plenty of anecdotal evidence from long-term vegans. It’s the same as J2’s argument though - it has to be a good version of the diet. Of course it’s possible to have a poor vegan diet. If vegans are eating nitrient-poor processed crap it’s not going to do them any favours.

J2’s point about veganism being seen as healthy relative to the broadly accepted western diet is a fair one too, for the same reasons. There’s lots people could do to improve their diets where meat is a part of them.

Any clinical studies on whole lifetimes?

Veganuary on 10:36 - Dec 29 with 1742 viewsSwansea_Blue

Veganuary on 09:22 - Dec 29 by Ryorry

You don't have to be vegan to have a healthy diet and lifestyle which "fight heart disease and obesity"!

Agreed. I wasn’t implying it was the only way, just a useful tool.

Veganuary on 10:38 - Dec 29 with 1739 viewsSwansea_Blue

Veganuary on 10:31 - Dec 29 by Ryorry

Any clinical studies on whole lifetimes?

I doubt it; the vegans would all outlive the researchers

No idea - probably not as I imagine it’s pretty hard to secure funding for whole life studies.

Veganuary on 10:52 - Dec 29 with 1722 viewsBlueNote

Veganuary on 09:22 - Dec 29 by Ryorry

No, but a healthy vegan lifestyle means you are less likely to be obese or suffer heart disease.

But more importantly, you won't be contributing to the needless suffering of animals. I believe you feel better about yourself if you are compassionate. Veganism is such a positive choice.
Veganuary on 11:04 - Dec 29 with 1703 viewsJ2BLUE

Veganuary on 09:31 - Dec 29 by Swansea_Blue

Not going to get into another massive vegan thread but two quick points:

1) there are certain nutrients which are of a much higher quality when obtained from animal foods. Omega 3 in the body’s preferred type is much better than ALA which converts poorly. B12. Iron.

2) I used to be a dogmatic low carber. Once the low carb brainwashing finally wore off (it took years) I realised that the low carbers and vegans were essentially arguing for the same thing; eating whole foods. Both sides could produce studies showing their way was healthy, improved blood numbers, lowered cholesterol etc etc. One side choose to do it with mainly animal foods and one side with plant foods but the message was the same - give up on the standard western diet and eat from this list of whole foods. Now imagine someone balancing their diet who could eat cholesterol lowering oats in the morning and omega 3 rich salmon in the evening. I think we keep looking for answers because we don’t like the truth. Cut out crap and eat a broad mix of whole foods.
[Post edited 29 Dec 2018 11:19]

Truly impaired.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024