Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What to do in Jan? So many questions 11:55 - Dec 30 with 5292 viewsChocorange

Would you sell players that are not good enough for what we need this season... If so who?

Or would you keep them in the hope they are good enough for league 1?

If making players available , who would you actively look to push out ( via agents) to free up wage space and transfer fees?

How many players would you bring in, are we looking at a complete change like Hursts in the summer?

I recall Mick bringing in 7 or 8 the year Huws joined when We weren't safe.( I can see this happening again) . That season I think we brought in Rowe and Moore as cheap punts tho, not what we need now.

Or...do we sit on our hands and do nothing...and/or play the kids?

What to do in Jan? So many questions on 13:33 - Dec 30 with 3803 viewsclive_baker

I would fully support moving on the likes of Knudsen, Bart, Spence in Jan should the opportunity arise, particularly if it frees up funds to bring some players in on loan.

IF we are relegated, as is looking likely, our team next season needs to look towards the academy graduates and give opportunities to the likes of Kenlock, Crowe, Woolfenden, Emmanuel, Bishop, Downes, Dozzell, Nydam, Morris, Lankaster, Folami. There's a core of some really talented young prospects here that we need to give a chance to shine. It is, in my opinion, our best opportunity to be as competitive as possible next season with a group of technically very gifted and fearless young players who are used to winning. Some are among the most talented in the country of their age group. More than half of that list have been involved in England squads at various youth levels, and I think League 1 would represent an opportunity to clear the decks and rebuild.

Clearly they would need experienced heads around them, which is where I see a role for the likes of Gerken, Huws, Chambers, Skuse, Sears, Edwards and 2 or 3 quality loanees. That then feels like the shape of a squad that under Lambert could get us back up and put some bums on seats in the process. An emphasis on youth is also the most realistic option of reducing our wage bill whilst retaining our competitiveness, which we almost certainly need to do to offset a 75% reduction in TV monies. Moving on the likes of Knudsen, Bart, Spence, Harrison, Adeyemi, Chalobah, Pennington, Roberts, Nsiala, Donacien, Ward, Nolan, Edun would presumably go a long way to achieving that required reduction of c. £100k p/w.

That said, clearly prevention is better than cure, and I don't think we need to write off this season just yet. However ME really needs to dip into his pocket over the next few weeks to sanction a few short term deals that give us the best possible chance of staying up. Unfortunately I don't just think we're 1 or 2 players short of that, but 5 or 6 realistically, given the sort of form we'll need between now and May and the competitiveness of the Championship. That's why I wonder if these next 2 league games are perhaps even bigger than some suggest, as they could also dictate the direction and strategy over the subsequent weeks. Should we lose them both, come 5pm on Saturday 12th Jan if we're 10+ points adrift and staring down the barrel of some tougher looking away fixtures I do wonder if PL and ME would sit down and think that perhaps planning for next season in L1 is a more prudent investment of funds than high earning short term loan signings for what might already look like a write off season. 6 points however, or 4 as an absolute minimum, and we might find ourselves back on the coat tails of those above us which might tempt ME to roll the dice a little more.

Personally I think if we win against Millwall then we HAVE to use that following 10 days before the Rotherham game to go a little balls deep in the market. I've seen names like Carter-Vickers, Crouch, Jenkinson linked and I think it's going to require and handful of players of that ilk to give us that chance.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

What to do in Jan? So many questions on 13:37 - Dec 30 with 3788 viewsNthsuffolkblue

"Would you sell players who are not good enough...?"

Selling depends on clubs making offers. If we start touting them for sale their value will be significantly reduced. We might want to shift some off the wage bill. If they are not good enough, that may involve cancelling some loans and shifting some out on loan.

Of course, who isn't considered good enough may well be different from a fans' point of view and from the manager's and coaches'. Knudsen may well go due to his contract coming to an end in the summer and there being interest in him but we have been in negotiations over a new one according to reports.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

What to do in Jan? So many questions on 13:57 - Dec 30 with 3766 viewsElephantintheRoom

At what point will intolerant 'supporters' like you begin to realise that Hurst was bringing more points per game than Lambert? Since all the positive, seductive PR from Lambo started to fool people like you the league position has got steadily worse.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

What to do in Jan? So many questions on 14:00 - Dec 30 with 3760 viewsmrshallisfit

What to do in Jan? So many questions on 13:57 - Dec 30 by ElephantintheRoom

At what point will intolerant 'supporters' like you begin to realise that Hurst was bringing more points per game than Lambert? Since all the positive, seductive PR from Lambo started to fool people like you the league position has got steadily worse.

God you really are clutching at straws. Hurst was incompetent, out of his depth and he has fast tracked us to League One obscurity.
What to do in Jan? So many questions on 14:19 - Dec 30 with 3732 viewsHerbivore

What to do in Jan? So many questions on 13:57 - Dec 30 by ElephantintheRoom

The league position has got worse? Are we now lower than bottom?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

What to do in Jan? So many questions on 14:33 - Dec 30 with 3702 viewsmonty_radio

What to do in Jan? So many questions on 13:33 - Dec 30 by clive_baker

I would fully support moving on the likes of Knudsen, Bart, Spence in Jan should the opportunity arise, particularly if it frees up funds to bring some players in on loan.

IF we are relegated, as is looking likely, our team next season needs to look towards the academy graduates and give opportunities to the likes of Kenlock, Crowe, Woolfenden, Emmanuel, Bishop, Downes, Dozzell, Nydam, Morris, Lankaster, Folami. There's a core of some really talented young prospects here that we need to give a chance to shine. It is, in my opinion, our best opportunity to be as competitive as possible next season with a group of technically very gifted and fearless young players who are used to winning. Some are among the most talented in the country of their age group. More than half of that list have been involved in England squads at various youth levels, and I think League 1 would represent an opportunity to clear the decks and rebuild.

Clearly they would need experienced heads around them, which is where I see a role for the likes of Gerken, Huws, Chambers, Skuse, Sears, Edwards and 2 or 3 quality loanees. That then feels like the shape of a squad that under Lambert could get us back up and put some bums on seats in the process. An emphasis on youth is also the most realistic option of reducing our wage bill whilst retaining our competitiveness, which we almost certainly need to do to offset a 75% reduction in TV monies. Moving on the likes of Knudsen, Bart, Spence, Harrison, Adeyemi, Chalobah, Pennington, Roberts, Nsiala, Donacien, Ward, Nolan, Edun would presumably go a long way to achieving that required reduction of c. £100k p/w.

That said, clearly prevention is better than cure, and I don't think we need to write off this season just yet. However ME really needs to dip into his pocket over the next few weeks to sanction a few short term deals that give us the best possible chance of staying up. Unfortunately I don't just think we're 1 or 2 players short of that, but 5 or 6 realistically, given the sort of form we'll need between now and May and the competitiveness of the Championship. That's why I wonder if these next 2 league games are perhaps even bigger than some suggest, as they could also dictate the direction and strategy over the subsequent weeks. Should we lose them both, come 5pm on Saturday 12th Jan if we're 10+ points adrift and staring down the barrel of some tougher looking away fixtures I do wonder if PL and ME would sit down and think that perhaps planning for next season in L1 is a more prudent investment of funds than high earning short term loan signings for what might already look like a write off season. 6 points however, or 4 as an absolute minimum, and we might find ourselves back on the coat tails of those above us which might tempt ME to roll the dice a little more.

Personally I think if we win against Millwall then we HAVE to use that following 10 days before the Rotherham game to go a little balls deep in the market. I've seen names like Carter-Vickers, Crouch, Jenkinson linked and I think it's going to require and handful of players of that ilk to give us that chance.

O.P. a thoughtful attempt at summing up where we are now. It would be tricky for those in charge to plan for both staying up and dropping down, but nevertheless, Evans, wearing his business hat, would know that both angles need to be looked at.

Given that the clog-factor increases the further you drop, even L1 wouldn't be an ideal grooming for so many of our technically-gifted young flowers altogether, but it's an interesting thought, if it came to that.

All this requires hands-on now; and more hands-on in the Summer, whether we drop or stay.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

What to do in Jan? So many questions on 14:41 - Dec 30 with 3689 viewsWhymarkmariner

What to do in Jan? So many questions on 14:19 - Dec 30 by Herbivore

The league position has got worse? Are we now lower than bottom?

The old saying "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" really does apply to the current team. None of Hurst's purchases have done any good and it could be argued that the one's we had left haven't exactly been roaring successes this season. Bart's been dreadful, Knudsen wants out, Huws and Adeyemi haven't been fit, Chambers has not been at his best for several games and the two loan players have had good and bad games. When you look back we had Smith and Berra,neither were replaced. Both were better than we have now.So the demise of the club has been happening for some time. Under the tenure of McCarthy season 2017/2018 we were bookies favourites for relegation. He bought in Garner and Waghorn + Celina on loan. We have been kept up by loan players for four or five seasons now and it is because of under investment and poor management that we find ourselves where we are and unless Evans has turned into the Fairy Godmother over Christmas we will become another Coventry.
What to do in Jan? So many questions on 14:46 - Dec 30 with 3676 viewsNthsuffolkblue

What to do in Jan? So many questions on 14:41 - Dec 30 by Whymarkmariner

The old saying "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" really does apply to the current team. None of Hurst's purchases have done any good and it could be argued that the one's we had left haven't exactly been roaring successes this season. Bart's been dreadful, Knudsen wants out, Huws and Adeyemi haven't been fit, Chambers has not been at his best for several games and the two loan players have had good and bad games. When you look back we had Smith and Berra,neither were replaced. Both were better than we have now.So the demise of the club has been happening for some time. Under the tenure of McCarthy season 2017/2018 we were bookies favourites for relegation. He bought in Garner and Waghorn + Celina on loan. We have been kept up by loan players for four or five seasons now and it is because of under investment and poor management that we find ourselves where we are and unless Evans has turned into the Fairy Godmother over Christmas we will become another Coventry.

Except Waghorn and Garner were not loan players and if you think Celina kept us in the division last season, I would suggest you are over-playing his impact.

Loan players have had an important role for every Championship club for many years now. Unfortunately, Hurst's loans have not been of the same quality as any of our previous year's sets.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Login to get fewer ads

What to do in Jan? So many questions on 14:46 - Dec 30 with 3675 viewsHerbivore

What to do in Jan? So many questions on 14:41 - Dec 30 by Whymarkmariner

I don't think it's right to say we've been kept up by loan players. Celina was very in and out last season, not a regular by any stretch. Hurst inherited a pretty decent squad that needed some tweaks, instead he dismantled it completely and brought in a load of players of questionable quality.

What to do in Jan? So many questions on 15:05 - Dec 30 with 3633 viewsNo9

Lets face it Bart & Jonus K apart not many would command any fee at all except for the youngsters who are the futureof the club.
What to do in Jan? So many questions on 15:33 - Dec 30 with 3581 viewsSonOfSpock

My opening gambit would be to return Chalobah. His presence is not helping us on pitch and all we're doing is developing him for Chelsea.

I'd recall Wolfenden and look to play him in readiness for next year. He'll learn faster in the championship. Likewise recall Emmanuel from Shrewsbury. Gives Lambert a chance to look over him. If he is ready to make a contribution after 2 loan spells of regular football he never will be.
What to do in Jan? So many questions on 15:36 - Dec 30 with 3568 viewsGarv

What to do in Jan? So many questions on 14:46 - Dec 30 by Herbivore

I don't think it's right to say we've been kept up by loan players. Celina was very in and out last season, not a regular by any stretch. Hurst inherited a pretty decent squad that needed some tweaks, instead he dismantled it completely and brought in a load of players of questionable quality.

I thought the squad was basically crap, bar Waghorn, Bart and Webster. Two centre halves, no standout full backs, any good midfielders long term injured.

No wingers, McGoldrick gone, Waghorn then sold. One feels he could have fought to keep Webster, but again the majority felt what we got for Webster was surprising - a good fee. Ditto Garner and he wanted out, and wasn't that good anyway. Comes down to a combination of poor scouting and Evans. You can't ignore the fact that again we've received more funds than we've paid out.

No signings we've made from lower leagues have proved they are ready for this league, but they should never have been expected to perform all together straight away, even if individually they were ready.

I guess we'll never know how much Hurst really tried to get Championship quality players and if so how much it came down to cost, or whether we couldn't attract them. Do wonder if he lacked contacts and struggled to attract players.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

What to do in Jan? So many questions on 16:28 - Dec 30 with 3511 viewsHerbivore

What to do in Jan? So many questions on 15:36 - Dec 30 by Garv

I thought the squad was basically crap, bar Waghorn, Bart and Webster. Two centre halves, no standout full backs, any good midfielders long term injured.

No wingers, McGoldrick gone, Waghorn then sold. One feels he could have fought to keep Webster, but again the majority felt what we got for Webster was surprising - a good fee. Ditto Garner and he wanted out, and wasn't that good anyway. Comes down to a combination of poor scouting and Evans. You can't ignore the fact that again we've received more funds than we've paid out.

No signings we've made from lower leagues have proved they are ready for this league, but they should never have been expected to perform all together straight away, even if individually they were ready.

I guess we'll never know how much Hurst really tried to get Championship quality players and if so how much it came down to cost, or whether we couldn't attract them. Do wonder if he lacked contacts and struggled to attract players.

You thought a squad that finished comfortably in mid table despite injuries to key players for much of the season was crap? Interesting, I shudder to think how you must feel about the dross we have now.

What to do in Jan? So many questions on 16:43 - Dec 30 with 3483 viewsjas0999

Why rely on loans? We can only select five for a match day and already have four.
What to do in Jan? So many questions on 16:43 - Dec 30 with 3484 viewsclive_baker

What to do in Jan? So many questions on 16:28 - Dec 30 by Herbivore

You thought a squad that finished comfortably in mid table despite injuries to key players for much of the season was crap? Interesting, I shudder to think how you must feel about the dross we have now.

The thing that was often overlooked about MM was that he really admired and utilised quality. People seem to think he was all 'huff & puff', and while there's an element of building from the back and a don't get beat mentality, all of his teams have made space for match winners. The Wolves side he took up had frightening quality in Kightly, Ebanks-Blake, Jarvis etc, but propped up with a spine of the likes of Craddock, Stearman, Henry, Iwelumo. At Ireland he relied on Cunningham, Staunton, Holland, Quinn but always accommodated a Duff, Kilbane, Robbie Keane star quality element. Even here, let's not forget he's the one who signed Celina, Lawrence, Fraser, McGoldrick, Hunt etc to compliment the Berra's and Chambers of the side. The issue this season is we've lost that real quality and signed sub standard replacements. I agree that our squad was by no means a bad one under Mick, it was well organised and had flashes of quality that perhaps could've been better utilised. The squad of this time last season would p1ss all over this one.

What to do in Jan? So many questions on 16:46 - Dec 30 with 3470 viewsclive_baker

What to do in Jan? So many questions on 16:43 - Dec 30 by jas0999

Why rely on loans? We can only select five for a match day and already have four.

Because it would be very short sighted to commit beyond the end of this season to the sort of salaries that the desired quality of player we need would demand. I can see a couple of the existing loanees returning (almost certainly Edun) if it meant making room for others.

What to do in Jan? So many questions on 16:51 - Dec 30 with 3438 viewsHerbivore

What to do in Jan? So many questions on 16:43 - Dec 30 by clive_baker

The thing that was often overlooked about MM was that he really admired and utilised quality. People seem to think he was all 'huff & puff', and while there's an element of building from the back and a don't get beat mentality, all of his teams have made space for match winners. The Wolves side he took up had frightening quality in Kightly, Ebanks-Blake, Jarvis etc, but propped up with a spine of the likes of Craddock, Stearman, Henry, Iwelumo. At Ireland he relied on Cunningham, Staunton, Holland, Quinn but always accommodated a Duff, Kilbane, Robbie Keane star quality element. Even here, let's not forget he's the one who signed Celina, Lawrence, Fraser, McGoldrick, Hunt etc to compliment the Berra's and Chambers of the side. The issue this season is we've lost that real quality and signed sub standard replacements. I agree that our squad was by no means a bad one under Mick, it was well organised and had flashes of quality that perhaps could've been better utilised. The squad of this time last season would p1ss all over this one.

Agreed, we always tried to accommodate a few quality footballers but didn't always have the budget to sign them permanently and those we could get permanently (such as Huws) come with other issues. If we'd not had injuries to the likes of Fraser, Williams, Didz and Huws at key times we'd have potentially had another tilt at the play offs in recent years. We simply don't have genuine quality in the squad now. Chalobah is probably our marquee loan signing and he's a complete rookie and not a match winner.

What to do in Jan? So many questions on 16:59 - Dec 30 with 3399 viewsHARRY10

Many of those you quote are out of contract in June
What to do in Jan? So many questions on 17:11 - Dec 30 with 3381 viewsMrTown

Professionals often talk about 3 transfer Windows’s. Between now and next summer there has to be some real changes.
Players who will leave:
Gerken
Bialkowski
Spence
Donacien
Nsiala
Chambers
Knudsen
Chalobah
Nolan
Ward
Rowe
Adeyemi
Huws
Dozzell
Jackson
Roberts

Players who we could have:
Emmanuel
Kenlock
Woolfenden
Skuse
Bishop
Downes
Nydam
Lankester
Edwards
Sears
Harrison

That right there shows the long term project PL has to do, i do unfortunately think we will be relegated this year but it’s the rebuild that is now most important to try and get us going in the right direction. I’m convinced PL is the right man to lead us in the right direction though.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

What to do in Jan? So many questions on 17:24 - Dec 30 with 3361 viewsPJH

What to do in Jan? So many questions on 17:11 - Dec 30 by MrTown

Professionals often talk about 3 transfer Windows’s. Between now and next summer there has to be some real changes.
Players who will leave:
Gerken
Bialkowski
Spence
Donacien
Nsiala
Chambers
Knudsen
Chalobah
Nolan
Ward
Rowe
Adeyemi
Huws
Dozzell
Jackson
Roberts

Emmanuel
Kenlock
Woolfenden
Skuse
Bishop
Downes
Nydam
Lankester
Edwards
Sears
Harrison

That right there shows the long term project PL has to do, i do unfortunately think we will be relegated this year but it’s the rebuild that is now most important to try and get us going in the right direction. I’m convinced PL is the right man to lead us in the right direction though.

"Players who will leave"-that is interesting .
Obviously from your other posts you know far more about ITFC and football in general than any of the rest of us but have you actually confirmed that with each of the players and with Paul Lambert?
Interesting that you (and now we) know that they will all be gone by the summer.
What to do in Jan? So many questions on 17:28 - Dec 30 with 3346 viewsBinner

What to do in Jan? So many questions on 17:11 - Dec 30 by MrTown

Players who will leave:
Gerken
Bialkowski
Spence
Donacien
Nsiala
Chambers
Knudsen
Chalobah
Nolan
Ward
Rowe
Adeyemi
Huws
Dozzell
Jackson
Roberts

Emmanuel
Kenlock
Woolfenden
Skuse
Bishop
Downes
Nydam
Lankester
Edwards
Sears
Harrison

"Players who will leave" Donacien, Nsiala, Nolan Jackson, Roberts. In what possible circumstances could those players leave?

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

What to do in Jan? So many questions on 17:29 - Dec 30 with 3341 viewsPJH

What to do in Jan? So many questions on 17:28 - Dec 30 by Binner

"Players who will leave" Donacien, Nsiala, Nolan Jackson, Roberts. In what possible circumstances could those players leave?

Well if Paul Hurst takes over at Man U....,.
What to do in Jan? So many questions on 17:30 - Dec 30 with 3337 viewsMrTown

What to do in Jan? So many questions on 17:24 - Dec 30 by PJH

"Players who will leave"-that is interesting .
Obviously from your other posts you know far more about ITFC and football in general than any of the rest of us but have you actually confirmed that with each of the players and with Paul Lambert?
Interesting that you (and now we) know that they will all be gone by the summer.

Everything on here is based on opinion. And in my opinion they will leave.

Says next summer. Not this summer. Read the post.

What to do in Jan? So many questions on 17:30 - Dec 30 with 3335 viewsMrTown

What to do in Jan? So many questions on 17:28 - Dec 30 by Binner

Read the post, says next summer not this summer. That’s summer 2020.

What to do in Jan? So many questions on 17:34 - Dec 30 with 3327 viewsPJH

What to do in Jan? So many questions on 17:30 - Dec 30 by MrTown

Everything on here is based on opinion. And in my opinion they will leave.

Says next summer. Not this summer. Read the post.

Yep read it again.

Still can't see where you say "in my opinion".

When you said next summer I thought you meant next summer, not the one after.

All very clear now.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024